Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

***ASK MONGO***

1,471 posts in this topic

Wow!! Thanks for the help. That was way more than I had found. I have a couple of the movies that Mona Ray is listed as being in, so I'll have to keep my eyes open in the future. They sure are getting up there!

Good morning mongo,

I would like to ask a further question in response to your reply to GWTW booklover concerning Rebecca Welles; you refer to her half-siblings Princess Yasmin, Christopher and Beatrice. I know about Yasmin and Beatrice but who is Christopher? Is he a son of Orson Welles? And whatever became of him? Also, whatever became of Beatrice?

Thanks in advance for your reply. I just love to read your always interesting and informative posts.

lizimbrie, I welcome your questions, and it's nice to know that you enjoy the thread.

I'm not that well informed concerning the children of Orson Welles, except perhaps Princess Yasmin.

His first child Christopher, who is seldom mentioned, should be 69 now. His mother, actress Virginia Nicholson was Welles' first wife, an attractive Chicago socialite.

Welles' youngest daughter Beatrice should be 51. Her mother was actress Paola Mori, and although estranged for many years remained married to him until his death.

I'm not certain what Christopher and Beatrice deceided to do in life, although Beatrice should be comfortable since she, from what I read, got the bulk of her father's estate.

In 2003 Orson Welles' Oscar statuette went on sale at an auction at Christie's, New York, but was voluntarily withdrawn so the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences can buy it back for just 1 dollar.

The statuette, included in a large selection of Welles-related material, was going to be sold by Beatrice Welles, the youngest of the filmmaker's *three daughters and the sole heir of his estate and was expected to sell at over 300,000 dollars. *Note that his son was not mentioned.

There are a few books out about Orson Welles that I havn't read yet, which I'm sure will go into more detail about his children. Gotta get to the library.

Sorry to interrupt, Mongo, but I'm pretty sure that Christopher Welles is a woman, Chris Welles Feder. Does anyone know for sure?

And right you are, idb1. Like I stated, I'm not well informed on the children of Orson Welles.

After further research, I found out that Christopher was indeed a girl. She also had a small part in one of her father's films. It looks like Welles had no sons.

Also strange is the fact that she is seldom mentioned along with his other daughters.

You live and learn.

Mongo:

Again I thank you for answering my questions, but here's another. I must have been too younng when Steve Reeves died, and although I know a lot about HUAC, who was married to whom, Debbie Reynolds and Edie Adams paying off their late husbands debts, and other things, I never realized there was any smoke around Steve Reeves death. Can you shed some light on this subject?

Thank you,

Anne

MrsL,

I think you might be meaning George Reeves, the guy who played Superman. The new film "Hollywoodland" is about his untimely death. Was it murder or suicide.

What say you, Mongo!

lz:

Yeah, I caught that after I hit post message.

Thanks, but I want to know something before the movie comes out. I am looking forward to this one, I hope it's not another 'Aviator' for me. :0

Anne

Anne, mystery has surrounded the death of actor George Reeves ever since the day he died in 1959.

I even doubt that the movie "Hollywoodland" will have a rock solid solution/conclusion.

Copied below is a synopsis from the internet, which appears to answer some questions of the senseless tragedy.

George Reeves was only 45 years old on June 16,1959 when he was found dead in his home from a single gun shot to the head. Many people speculate that he was murdered but his death was ruled a suicide predicated on the fact that he was probably in a deep depression state due to his inability to find acting work because he was typecast as superman.

I personally do not believe this ridiculous easy out police conclusion that he took his own life. This man was extremely strong willed and full of life. He had everything to live for including an upcoming wedding with his beautiful fiancee Lenore Lemmon he absolutely adored, a very well planned overseas vacation to Spain with reservations he had been anticipating and also several acting offers and contracts of new acting ventures other than Superman to enhance his acting career. Does that sound like a person out of options that truly wants to take their own life because they are despondent over daily issues? My answer is .. Naw-baby-naw, at least not in my book of reasoning ... I'm sorry to the followers of inaccurate history but I have to go with the fact that George was enjoying life just a little too much with his new girfriend Lenore. The previous former devious married girlfriend he was messing around with named Toni Mannix may of been out for revenge. Toni was married to a rich studio executive with mob connections named Eddie Mannix who probably had a serious personal beef with George for messing around with his wife. Also unusually, George had several unusal near fatal car accidents prior to his death that were unexplained with almost hollywood stunt like maneuvers plus a brake fluid drainage of one of his cars that almost caused a fatal accident. Was someone really out to kill this man or was it a suicide like the police so quickly reported in June of 1959?

The circumstances of his mysterious death and the police investigation that followed left many unanswered questions and speculation.

On the evening of his death, George was entertaining his girlfriend Lenore and a few friends at a cocktail party in his lavish Hollywood two story home when he reportedly went upstairs supposedly by himself to his bedroom and closed the door. That's when all the unknowns came into play. After about a half hour all the guests heard a single gun shot and found George lying dead on his back across the side of the bed with his feet still on the floor. George was killed instantly my a German Luger pistol bullet that went through his skull and lodged in the wall above his bed near the ceiling. The shell casing from the fatal bullet was found after the police picked him up, he had been laying on it. It is still unknown as to how the casing got there and how George could of been lying on the shell casing if he would have taken his own life. Curiously, no suicide note was found, and there was never the slightest indication from George that he might be in a depressed state to any one of the party guests that were there that evening. It was strange also that another half hour went by before anyone picked up the telephone and called the police. Very strange indeed, but I believe by these next outlined (8) points that it is conclusive that George did not commit suiside.

1) No apparent depression

2) No suicide note

3) Future to look forward to

4) Beautiful fiancee

5) Plans for overseas vacation

6) Family ties

7) Big celebrity status

8) Throwing a party that very evening for friends.

Let's detail these last points for a second ...

1) No apparent depression - George never ever showed any signs on the set or off the set of any type of mental anguish that would have triggered a break in George's reasonable thinking where he ever had the notion to end his life.

2) No suicide note - This seems a little strange that no note is present with George's last will, testiment and thoughts of the life he lived. He loved his living mother immensely but didn't leave her any kind of remember me message? Not even a mere note to his fans that adored him as Superman. Isn't that just the least bit strange? Not even a goodbye cruel world?

3) Future to look forward to - George not only had acting positions lined up other than Superman he also was offered another series of Superman episodes that would of kept him working and in the public eye with plenty of generous income.

4) Beautiful Fiancee - George was in love with this woman (Lenore Lemmon) from the very first meeting and had already asked her to be his bride. They were planning a trip to Spain together and had detailed all the places they were going to visit there. Does this sound like George making suicide plans?

5) Plans for overseas vacation - Elaborate detailed plans were made for George's overseas vacation to Spain including passports, airline tickets, hotels, excursions, cars etc. Is this the activity of a man that is about to kill himself?

(6) Family ties - George loved his mother more than anything in the world and talked to her pretty much on a daily basis by telephone. Because of this devotion - why would he commit suiside and not leave his mother any note of reason? Doesn't make much since. Mrs Brewer (his Mom) hired a private investigator man to investigate the case which he did for many months but came up short in evidence that the police had already sealed.

(7) Big celebrity status - Back in the 1950's George was considered one of the biggest and hottest celebrity's of the time with kids and adults alike. He did guest appearances at shopping centers, fairs and studios across the United States that gave him wide range notriety that other Hollywood people were not experiencing. George would arrive in a large car to these events and immediately be greeted by lots of adoring fans wanting autographs which he gleefully signed.

(8) Throwing a party - okay let's think about this for just a second. We have already addressed the above issues as to why that George Reeves would not and could not of taken his own life because of the reasons stated but this last point simply locks in the deal . Okay, think about this .. if you or anyone you know is planning to take their own life by a gun to the head do you think that they would plan a two week in advance party and invite all their friends to be there to witness the event but not write any kind of special suicide note? If that much planning went into the party itself then I would think that a suicide note would of been included that evening.

Note: There is also a small possibility of a variation in note 8 above where possibly and maybe George's actual suicide note (if he really left one) was indeed included with his dead body but it was quickly disposed of by party participants before police arrived because it contained content that would have caused serious problems for the socialites in attendance that evening.

Back in 50's era without the CSI technology we have today, police were more likely to quickly rule a death a suicide if murder evidence was missing. George's mother knew in the bottom of her heart that her son would not and could not take his own life and immediately hired a private investigation but came up short finding any additional evidence. This is one of those mysteries we may never find out the real truth in our life time. In fact, with little original crime scene evidence collected and sketchy police reporting along with the fact that all the people at that cocktail party are deceased now, simply puts the case to rest. We may never ever know.

Hey Mongo,

What's R. G. Armstrong up to these days (and I'm not looking for 6' 3")? Do you have any current info. on him? Is he still healthy at 89? Thanks.

Gerb

Gerb, from what I've read, 89 year old Robert Golden Armstrong after a long and successful career is retired and holding his own.

He and his wife Mary are comfortable and enjoying their home in California. They don't travel as much as they use to.

It is reported that his upbeat, fun-loving personality makes him a delight for all who come in contact with him.

Mongo,if I may...Scarlett, there are a few of us still here. A couple of posters where arguing and they erased all the posts (some had 100's) and it screwed up the boards. Hopefully (when the smoke clears) you'll see some familiar names and Welcome Back...

vallo

Vallo - great to see ya! :) That is really too bad about the flaming. Seems to happen sometimes when there is a bunch of newcomers and people don't know each other yet. Of course, then there is, of course, always the 'village idiot' who can't leave well enough alone. I don't know A THING about this so I'm not naming anyone in particular. I was myself in a flame war when I first came on - it was all sooooo stupid! Hopefully the smoke will clear soon and everyone will get back to the reason we are all here. Too bad about all the erasures. though.

Too bad about all the erasures.>>

Scarlett,

The erasures were actually a good thing because it was a month of incredible discontent and the one (five in one?) responsible was very nasty, profane and threatening.

The bad was that by deleting almost 2,000 posts (including the multiple personalities he posted under), it threw the board into complete chaos and havoc.

But for all of us who watched it go down first hand and experienced some of the blowback, our longest journey together seems to be coming to an end. And as always, Atticus was there in the morning when we waked up.

Mongo,

Do you have any information on character actor Frank Overton? There seems to be precious little available on (e.g.) imdb.com. He married relatively late, 5 years before his death at age 49.

Path, Broadway actor Frank Overton made a few films in 1950, then returned to the stage for nearly seven years, in plays which included "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs", "The Desperate Hours", and "The Trip to Bountiful".

Seemingly born in a uniform, the serious-looking Overton was most often seen in such take-charge roles as Sheriff Tate in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (1962) and General Bogan in "Fail Safe" (1967).

On TV, Overton played lawyer Frank Walsh on the long-running daytime drama "The Guiding Light" and Major Harvey Stovall on the nighttimer "Twelve O'Clock High" (1964-66).

Frank Overton's final television appearance was as Elias Sandoval in "This Side of Paradise", a 1967 episode of "Star Trek".

Overton's life and career were cut short when he suffered a heart attack in 1967, dying at the age of 49. His death came just over one month after "This Side of Paradise" first hit the airwaves.

Path, as a sidelight on Frank Overton, I thought that you might like to know that he created the role of Morris Lacey in William Inge's touching play, The Dark at the Top of the Stairs in the original Broadway production in 1957, playing the role for 468 times. Is it any wonder that he played it so seamlessly on film opposite Eve Arden, Dorothy Maguire, and Robert Preston in that wonderful film? He was a wonderful character actor, and I'm so glad that you and Mongo have reminded me of the humanity that he imbued each of his characters with throughout his too brief career.

Mongo, do you have, by chance, anything to add to the interesting bio provided on IMDb for Lee Kinsolving, who was unforgettable in the role of the young military cadet set up on a blind date with Shirley Knight's character in The Dark at the Top of the Stairs(1960)? He had such promise, I also remember him well from his appearance on a Twilight Zone episode from that period when he played a sensitive alien. In many actor's hands, the role would've been a throwaway imitation of James Dean or downright silly, but Kinsolving made it compelling and something special. He may well have been a gifted actor who just didn't want to play the game of show business. Here's a link to the IMDb bio:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455924/bio

Thanks in advance for any info that you may have to offer.

moira

Frank Overton can be glimpsed in the Poitier - Widmark - Darnell classic "No Way Out " as a Doctor taking in smokers break in the Doctor's Lounge.

Moira, after some further research on actor Lee Kinsolving, there appears to be nothing better than the informative profile by gbennett on IMDb.

I can concur that his short run on Broadway was indeed brief. He appeared in the play "Winesberg, Ohio" as the character Seth, which closed after only 11 days in 1958.

It is indeed sad that he died so young.

it's me again mongo I have a TV question Imagine my surprise when I heard Tom Willis call someone son on The Jeffersons. I thought Tom and Helen had only one child Jenny. Where did this son come from if you know? Would greatly appreciate it. gwtwbooklover

I hope Mongo doesn't mind if I partly answer this. I haven't seen The Jeffersons in forever. From what I remember, the son's name was Alan and he and Tom had a mostly strained relationship, for what reason I don't remember for sure, either because he favored Jenny or he thought Alan was an aimless drifter or both. He wasn't in very many episodes I don't think. I'm sure Mongo will have more details, my memory is fuzzy on this.

Brad, your recollection of the Willis' son Alan is on target. He was at odds with his father Tom, and sort of aimless.

Not a very good actor, his appearances on the show were short lived.