Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

***ASK MONGO***

1,471 posts in this topic

Chistine, from what I understand Paul Newman and Clint Eastwood were very friendly

toward one another.

I'm not certain why TCM is not sending out newsletters anymore. Perhaps one of the

board members can shed some light on it.

Hi mongo..I'm new here...so heaven knows where this question might end up..lol

"So Long at the Fair"......I just viewed this movie recently..and I need some help with a piece of music played as the opening credits roll. I have heard this tune before, and now I can't get it out of my head. The tune is quite regal and full of pomp. Any help you can give me will definately help clear my head. thanx

Hi Olove and welcome to the boards. Unfortunately I have not seen the movie "So Long at the Fair" (1950).

Do you think the opening music could possibly be the song "Johnny, So Long at the Fair", which has the following lyrics "Oh, dear, what can the matter be?/ Dear, dear, what can the matter be?/ Oh, dear, what can the matter be?/ Johnny's so long at the fair."?

It's a melodic tune and full of pomp.

thanx for replying mongo....but after an exhaustive Google search...I found it. It is Meyerbeers "Coronation March" from Le Prophete

huggzzz

Mongo Hello! I have just read a book about Dudley Moore it is titled Dudley Moore The Melancholy Clown by Barbra Paskin. It was very interesting, illuminating and sad. It became especially horrific when I read about Dudley's 4th marriage to Nicole Rothschild and I was wondering about the little boy who would be 13 now that Dudley and Nicole had in 1995. Is he with his mother? and any info about him would be great. Plus, his son with Tuesday Weld- Patrick how is he doing? Many thanks in advance....gwtwbooklover

Hello Mongo. Some years back TCM had a short featuring Desi Arnaz and his band. If I recall-I could be wrong- the last song was EL CUMBANCHERO. Would like to know the title of the musical short and if it would be available somewhere. Thanks. Rev. Ronald Noguera

Hello GWTWbooklover, nice to see you back on the boards.

Dudley Moore's son Patrick with Tuesday Weld is now 32. He is busy as an actor, director and editor.

His son Nicholas 13 is with his mother Nicole and attending school.

FrRonald, the name of the musical short is "Desi Arnaz and his Orchestra" (1946) and is not available on video. Look for it on TCM.

Yo, Mongo;

A real wierd one this time,and I'll understand if there's no info forthcoming. Basically:

I've heard the punchline. Can anybody tell me the joke?

Over perhaps the past seven years, and on maybe five occasions I've run across a scrap of dialogue, always from a British source and always in a context where it was supposed to be funny. The phrase: _"Maybe its because I'm a Londoner"_ .

I've heard and seen this in a television show, on a PBS radio show that origionated in England and in British magazines. On TV and radio, it generated a studio laugh. I get the impression that it is a portable punch line instantlly understood by insiders -- but I'm an outsider.

I have the impression that this phrase is like the American portable punchline,"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it," which crops up from time to time. Its usually applied to someone who has just told some ridiculous story, usually a bullstuff alibi. It has entered American humor and lore as

a staple, and a C&W artist even wrote a song on that theme. And it supposedly has a definate point of origin. -- An incident in the home life of a former pro footballer.

From context, I theorize that the "I'm a Londoner" quote means to make fun of provincials trying to

pass as urbanites. But I just don't _know_. Do you have any way of tracking down the original

source of that phrase?

Waiting with baited breath,

cmvgor

cmvgor, ya got me stumped on this one, although I did read that it could mean 'Whatever Will Be, Will Be'.

I must say though that your assumption of "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it" sounds appropriate enough too.

It could be a popular song, something like "I'm singing in the rain."

Opps, some cursing at the very end of the video.

Here's another one:

Yo, Fred C.;

Thanks loads. I've been a while posting a response, because I took the time to view a number of the recordings presented. I consider it possible that the song was written after the title phrase had

become familiar in and of itself. I throrize that some real event, or some made-up joke, is at the background. I have been hearing that phrase for a number of years. I may never find out, but its been fun trying to.

Thanks again.

cmvgor

Thanks for the link to the book.

1940s song:

https://www.notanorm.de/en/sheetmusic/songbooks_sampler_pvg/100_years_of_popular_music_40s_volume_1_imp9821a.htm?pg=1

Theme song for old TV show:

"The series was principally set in a suburban police station in the East End of London and concerned uniformed police engaged with routine tasks and low-level crime. The ordinary, everyday nature of the people and the setting was *further emphasised in early episodes of the series with the old, British music-hall song--"Maybe its because I'm a Londoner"* --with its sentimental evocations of a cozy community, being used as the series theme song."

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/D/htmlD/dixonofdock/dixonofdock.htm

*Addressing mongo, FredCDobbs and vallo13;*

It is now settled. "Maybe its because I'm a Londoner" traces back to an autobiography and to a Music Hall song. That's why it was a phrase familiar to a reading or listening audience in the UK.

It did scratch an itch to learn that. Now I know. Thanks to all.

As for the American "portable punchline" I mentioned: "That's my story and I'm sticking to it," traces back to a story, supposedly true, that got around about a pro athlete whose name would be known to sports fans. Allegedly, he stayed out all night, then came home through the back door while his wife was cooking breakfast. He told a story about coming home late, not wanting to wake her up, and sleeping on the hammock in the back yard. She pointed out that she had taken down that hammock and stored it away days ago. He then uttered the famous punch line,

which has subsequently been used by scores of comedians and sitcom writers.

It _has_ been fun. Thanks.

hi mongo...my question is about The Dogville Comedy Shorts...i've been trying to purchase them on dvd/vhs but can't find any information on them...i've seen 3 of them on tcm & several clips of them on you tube & want to buy them. please give me any/all info possible. Thx..max mama

Hi Max Mama, here is some info regarding the Dogville shorts:

Regarding the "cult" one reeler "Dogville comedies" from the early sound era was created by Jules White, who first began his career at the Mack Sennett Studios in the 1920s and later directed many of the Three Stooges shorts over at Columbia Pictures. Along with Myers, the two of them were given the task to come up with a new sound series for MGM'S new shorts dept, which the studio opened with the arrvial of sound in 1929.The two men came up with the idea to bring to the screen, actual dogs doing take-offs of popular movies during that period of time.When it came for the dogs to talk, the filmakers would put peanut butter in the dogs mouth to move and suspend the costumes with wire and to have the dogs walk.Between 1929 to 1931, a total of nine Dogville Shorts were produced and this series still has major controversey even with today's audiences.

Back when the Dogvilles were in production, reports of animal crulety was taken to notice, but when ASPCA inspectors would arrive to the studio, they found out the all of the dogs were well taken care of and not abused. But by today's politically correct world, there has been several reports that animal rights activists have tried to have the Dogville shorts banned, but have not been successful.Back in the mid-1990s, when MGM/UA released a laser disc boxed set containd the early sound MGM short subjects, somehow the Dogvilles wasn't included for reasons unknown.

One day I expect to see all 10 shorts on DVD since they are a delight to watch, but this series is not for everyone, as some will get offended by this excellent series. But until then, just keep an eye out for the shorts on TCM.

Hot Dog

College Hounds

All Quiet on the Canine Front

The Dogville Murder Case

The Big Dog House

The Dogway Melody

Who Killed Rover?

Love Talks Of Morocco

Two Barks Brothers

Trader Hound

Message was edited by: mongo

Chris, according to one book I read (Tracy & Hepburn) by Garson Kanin, Spencer died at Hepburn's home, I believe, and his body was taken away quite quickly. Ms. Hepburn went to the funeral home early in the morning and said her goodbyes in private. She did not attend the funeral out of respect to Mrs. Tracy.

Hey Joe, correct me if I'm wrong about this!

Nancy

Nancy, your on the money.

Chris, I would imagine that Mrs. Tracy didn't think much of Hepburn although it took two to tango.

Message was edited by: mongo

*Nancy, your on the money.*

*Chris, I would imagine that Mrs Tracy didn't think much of Hepburn although it took two to tango.*

Mongo,

There are stories out there that Mrs. Tracy and Kate did find some common ground in caring for Tracy in those last months of his life. I can't remember which book I read it in (maybe one of Kate's or a book on Tracy) but they supposedly took shifts caring for him at Hepburn's house.

Hi Mongo. Did Joan Crawford idolize Bette Davis, was jealous of her, hate Bette, or was frustrated that Joan's numerous attempts to befriend Davis fell on deaf ears?? Or was it some combination of these that lead to their "complicated" relationship??