Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan, Coffee

Guilty Pleasures!!!

108 posts in this topic

Guest K, Sandy

Liz, one of my favorite things to do is talk back to the screen. When I was in junior high, the tv show Dallas was my oldest sister's favorite show. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut whenever it was on. Finally, one night Barbara Bel Geddes came onscreen in some hideous matronly dress. When I disparaged it, my sister replied that "it was probably by a famous designer, and cost a thousand dollars." To which I cracked, "Huh! I wouldn't pay a nickel for that SACK!" My mother then BANNED me from the living room whenever Dallas was on. I hated that stupid show anyway. It was only fun if you could mock it. Have you ever watched Mystery Science Theatre 3000? All they do is show cheesy movies and comment on them. Hilarious!

Guest K, Sandy

I know I've mentioned this before on other boards, but I love THE OPPOSITE SEX, the musical remake of THE WOMEN. Oh, my goodness, is it a hoot! Very campy and fun. Another good guilty pleasure is THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE starring Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore in the film that almost finished her career before it started. One scene features Carol Channing as a character named Muzzy getting shot out of a cannon in a gold lame jumpsuit!

Guest Healas, Liz

Ah, you must have been the baby of the family! I recognize the signs (I was, too). Nothing more fun than button-pushing at that age. I was also banned from many TV show watchings. Mini-series were my specialty. I absolutely loved MST3K (the Joel ones), although very few were shown where I live. Mike Nelson, the later host (& one of the staff writers) wrote a book called "Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese" that literally made me laugh until I cried when I first read it. He demolishes everything that deserves to be demolished in Hollywood. Back in the '80s, a friend & I would make a point to see any movie that had either Brooke Shields or Judd Nelson. We provided viewer commentary & alternative dialogue. Unlike Joel & the robots, we didn't have staff writers for our material, but I'm proud to say that we did get some laughs. (Although you have to wonder what kind of people go to see Shields/Nelson movies without satirical intent.) I heard that Shields & Nelson were actually in a TV sitcom together a few years back. Never watched it -- I felt it would be more than I could bear.

Guest K, Sandy

Liz, you pegged it! I am the baby in my family. I am also the only one who is a performer. How about you? I'll have to look for Mike Nelson's book-I had no idea it was out there! I just read Harry Knowles book-the guy who runs Ain't It Cool News.com. He also has some good thoughts about what's wrong with Hollywood today. Brooke Shields and Judd Nelson starred in the tv sitcom Suddenly Susan. It's not that bad, really, as sitcoms go. I actually liked Nelson in THE BREAKFAST CLUB. Classic Brat Pack-John Hughes-80's flick. My best friend and I liked to watch the tv show Solid Gold (anyone remember that one? with host Dionne Warwick) and comment on the hideous gowns that Dionne wore. She is also the baby in her family...I see a pattern here...

Guest son, jery

Okay, this isn't really a guilty pleasure, but I've probably got plenty of company on this one. HOLD THAT GHOST! If I ever want to lighten up, all I've got to do is watch this great ole Abbott and Costello gem from l941. Joan Davis steals the show. She and the boys should have become a steady team. And the dance she does with Lou to "Swan Lake" is a classic.

Guest mongo

Glad you mentioned the delightful "Hold That Ghost" since it is a favorite of mine also. Bud and Lou were at the top of their form in this one and supported by the zany Joan Davis helped a great deal. It also looks like that Universal spared no expense with the spooky sets and wonderful supporting players including the Andrews Sisters and Ted Lewis. Also like the villain Charlie played by the menacing Marc Lawrence. I gotta see it again.

Guest K, Sandy

I also like THE GHOSTBREAKERS with Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard. Silly but fun.

Guest cooper, jeane

Help me....help me... "The Fly" with Vincent Price, David Hedison and Herbert Marshall.

Guest walker, ken

The Maria Montez,Sabu and Jon Hall epics??? from Universal. Cornball all the way,but beautiful color photography!

Guest son, jery

Maria Montez, Sabu and oooo, that hunky Jon Hall! What a combination! And that glorious Technicolor and those Vera West costumes. As I've complained before, Universal cheated us man-lovers by hardly ever showing Jon without his shirt.

Guest son, jery

Jeane, hilarious! you really caught the best lines in that flick.

Guest Kohut, Gail

Just recently found this site while trying to find out a title to a movie and I've never really been on a message board before so bear with me...but has anyone seen DEATH RACE 2000? - - I don't know if you want to call it a "classic" but it does feature Sylvester Stallone before he was "the" Sylvester Stallone - and David (I believe it was David) Carradine. If you are looking for something truly bad, this is about as good as it gets. Basically, there is this cross country car race where you get points for hitting people (i.e. 10 pts for a man, 20 for a woman etc). And the acting, oh the horror!! But I hate to admit it's one of my favorites - like junk food!

Guest Kelleher, Eileen

Hi Gail! I haven't seen Death Race 2000 in years but I do remember it. I like those warped kinda movies. Everytime I read these boards I end up adding another movie to my "gotta see or see again list" and that one is on it now. Thanks for reminding me!

Guest son, jery

Russ Meyer and Andy Warhol movies are always a fun, guilty pleasure. Meyer's "Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!" is stunning in its black and white photography and also by the incredible looking bevy of beauties, in particular, Tura Santana as the head of the sadistic man-killing girl gang. Andy Warhol really didn't make his movies. Paul Morrisey did and when you see such fleshy masterpieces like "Heat," Trash" and "Flesh", you'll never forget them. They all star that sizzling beef-cake king, Joe Dellansadra as our sidewalk Valentino who will do anything to get a drug fix.

Guest Alix

Okay, I admit it, I love the movie CADDYSHACK! The characters are a hoot, the lines are repeatable, the whole premise of the movie is crazy...and how about that Baby Ruth scene? I guess when Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and Rodney Dangerfield assemble in one movie, you can expect it to be outrageous. This is truely one of my guiltiest pleasures. Al Czervik to Judge Smails' wife: "Ooooh baby, I bet you were something before electricity!"

Guest son, jery

I love "The Terror of Tiny Town." The cast and crew made up of no one but munchkins! You gotta see them sing and dance in the barroom. The smallest one has a moustache that nearly falls off. And those tiny little horses! It's adorable.

Guest K, Sandy

Alix, I've seen CADDYSHACK so many times on tv, but it still makes me laugh. I first saw it at the drive-in! The drive-in has since been torn down. Are there any drive-ins left anywhere? jeryson, I have a friend who loves THE TERROR OF TINY TOWN, too. The first time that he told me about it, I thought he was pulling my leg. I still haven't seen it, though!

Guest son, jery

That famous Sandy K. deserves to see "the Terror of Tiny Town." It's a hoot and a hollar.

Guest Alix

Yes, we have one drive-in left in my city. It's fabulous! It's got twin screens, and at the intermission they show all those great "intermission cartoons," circa 1950, with the dancing hotdogs, and the popcorn that jumps into the bag. They usually have a "Chilly Dilly" commercial too. They play the National Anthem before the start of the movie and have great coming attractions. Ah...makes me want to go right now!

Guest K, Sandy

Lucky you, Alix! I'm green with envy.

Guest Alix

It's great fun. We go a couple of times during the summer. The last time we went we took a pizza and ate pizza while the movies were on. I love to sit out in lawn chairs and wrap up in blankets while the movie is on. Why does it always get cold at a drive in?

Guest Stephen

For a good laugh, when no comedy will quite fill the bill, I like any of Ed Wood's films (PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and GLEN OR GLENDA? are the two best - or worst, depending on how you view them); Dwain Esper's bad-movie classic MANIAC (from 1934 - John Waters must have drawn inspiration from this film); and Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in what must be the most horrible film ever made by two stars with decent reputations, the dreadful BOOM!.

Guest son, jery

Stephen, I agree that BOOM! is indeed a ghastly experience. But if you want to see an army of once-greats, making absolutely total jackasses out of themselves, SWARM! is still the one that can make you watch out of sheer fascination--like watching a trainwreck. God, all those incredible names--Henry Fonda, Oliva DeHavilland, Richard Widmark, etc. that once guaranteed a classic movie--whirling around and shrieking and writhing as they're attacked by cornflakes!

Guest Stephen

I guess I forgot about all of those disaster flicks of the 70's which featured the classic films stars (the most famous one being "The Poseidon Adventure" and the most wretched one that I've seen (hadn't yet caught "Swarm") being "Airport 75." Actually, considering the odd mix of stars in the cast (Charlton Heston, Karen Black, Myrna Loy, Nancy Olsen, Linda Blair, Helen Reddy, and Gloria Swanson, among others - plus disaster film staple George Kennedy to say "Hell" and "Damn" a lot) and the weird selection of cross-eyed Karen Black as the stewardess who has to pilot the plane which goes out of control, it's one of the most unintentionally hilarious bad flicks out there. My favorite moment is the terminally ill Linda Blair's revelation to Nancy Olsen: "People are so INTERESTING!" Carol Burnett's famous parody became all the more hilarious to me after I saw the film it was based on. I will have to look for "Swarm." I also had been meaning to catch the other "Airport"s when I was in the mood for more bad flicks.

Guest son, jery

I used to love going to our hillbilly drive-in back in the 50s. There were no movie theaters within a 50 mile radius. The drive-in always enticed us with spicy, sexy come-ons: "Banned for 20 years! You won't believe your eyes." And we usually ended up seeing some grainy, Italian movie showing hot italian women in low-cut blouses playing prostitutes! I've got a two-hour tape of intermission ads: "Let's go out to the lobby...Try our hot, dee-licious buttered popcorn!...Our hamburgers are the best!...Have the kiddies enjoy our play area!..."