Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan, Coffee

Guilty Pleasures!!!

108 posts in this topic

Guest Alix

WOW! You have 2 hours of intermission ads? I love those! My favorite is the hotdog that jumps through a hoop and then into the bun. I also like this old German (think Einstein) looking guy who says, "Hello, this is my new inwention...da goodies machine." One of the drive-ins, which is now closed used to show those risque movies, like Bo Derek's BOLERO in the early 80's. I think drive-ins should make a come back!

Guest Duffy, Mike

Im a baby-boomer born in '45 and OLD FILM buff. But, my modern-day guilty pleasure film is The Last of Sheila. Anyone else appreciate this one?

Guest Reggatta

_Head_, directed by Bob Rafelson, written in part by Jack Nicholson, and starring the Monkees, Annette Funicello, Victor Mature, Frank Zappa and Sonny Tufts. With credentials like that, you can't go wrong!

Guest oldie, love an

Big bugs. Any movie with the big, milti-legged creatures like "Them", "It", "Kingdom of the Spiders" etc. I don't know why, especially since I do not like bugs.

Guest oldie, love an

Coffee Dan, I'm glad someone else found the humor in that movie. There is a blooper in it. It is towards the beginning and a man walks into Bogart's office with a cigarette. In the scene he throws done the first one because he relizes he already has one in his other hand!

Guest finnie12, moira

"Earthquake" has to be one of the cheesiest disaster movies ever-- Victoria Principal seems to have a dead hedgehog on her head in a guest appearance as her hair, Genevieve Bujold looks as though she's thinking about changing agents, and Lorne Greene plays the thankless role of the wrongheaded, morally suspect authority figure from the Watergate era a little too effectively. Do you think Charlton Heston was mentally balancing the positive impact that his paycheck would have on his bank account throughout this flick? Sad to see Ava Gardner looking vulnerable and a bit foggy here. But do I watch this thing? Heck, yes! It's funny. The only other guilty pleasure that springs to mind immediately is reading and contributing to these message boards--I learn alot from you TCMers, even what to avoid sometimes...thanks!

Guest son, jery

A fantastic double-bill would be "Earthquake" and "The Swarm." The latter stars nearly every desperate has-been in Hollywood flailing their arms and shrieking as corn flakes are thrown into their faces. I thought it hysterical that in "Earthquake," Lorne Greene played the FATHER of Ava Gardner! She was four years older than he was in real life! As one critic pointed out back then, she looked like his mother.

Guest Kilduff, John

"Blue City" from 1986 starring Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy...This is a guilty pleasure for others, but not for me. It was co-written by the great Walter Hill, features a score by Ry Cooder, and contains good performances from Nelson, Sheedy, Paul Winfield, David Caruso and the late Anita Morris. This movie has lines that are funny both intentionally and not...the action scenes are excellent...and there's a scene where two characters dance and sing while making a sandwich. It's a great trashy 80s movie...I recommend it. Sincerely, John Kilduff

Guest Duffy, Mike

The more I see it , the funnier it is: The Burbs with Tom Hanks, Carrie Fisher, Bruce Dern, and Bro. Theodore.

Guest Zooty

Modern guilt: My modern pleasure is THE HUNGER starring Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon & David Bowie as chic vampires. I don't know what it is about this movie, but everytime I watch it I have a HUGH smirk plastered across my face. Classic guilt: My classic pleasure is RAIN starring young Joan Crawford, as trampy Sadie Thompson (who resembles Gillian Anderson), & Walter Huston, as the ranting/raving preacherman. I feel a smirk coming on.

Guest son, jery

I've caught myself watching the Jean-Claude Von Damme sock-em up movies on USA for the last week and now I want to buy them all! He is such a hot, cutie-pie to watch in action. Also, these movies are like comic books. Lots of color, action, little dialogue, some mild sex thrown in. You can sit and doze to THE FORSTYE SAGA and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. I want my Jean-claude Von Damme!

Guest Lyndsey

I watch those whenever they come on USA or TNT, too [embarassed look]. I usually despise action flicks, but I always seem to give-in whenever he's on! My little brother used to watch his stuff ALL the time, so I got to see more of him than normal people usually do.

Here's another forgotten topic I'll try to breathe some new life into;-)

Unfortunately, since I think most older films are great, my guilty pleasure film is not old enough to really be included in this thread. However, I'll tell you what it is anyway ... Die Hard (1986) with Bruce Willis. The first sequel is O.K. too, but the 2nd sequel really stinks! However, Die Hard (the original) is my guilty pleasure ... I never tire of watching it and USA Network never tires of showing it either;-)

I would have to say my "guilty pleasure" is watching horror movies. From the original Frankenstein to Silence of the Lambs....if it's spooky, macabre, etc. I'll be watchin' with my hands up to my face peakin' through my fingers!!

It's so stupid. I like the "Antar" nickname, but I wish I came up with something else.

Anyway, some very guilty pleasures of mine are The Running Man with Ah-nuld, Batman (1989), Batman Returns, and parts of The Karate Kid III (sooo stupid!).

My guilty pleasure is one I chose yesterday for "21" - Strait-Jacket. So campy and tongue-in-cheek, and will never contend for a "masterpiece", but I dig it!

Antar, may I suggest "Antonio"? *L* It's so much more ...human!

Well you had me completely stumped yesterday, stlgal! I haven't seen it and it sure sounds like it has a lot of interesting plot points;-)

Um, I dunno. I like "Antar" but I hate the entire handle. Hmmm, "Antonio"...interesting...

Yeah, even I missed a lot until I read some other viewers' reviews. The product placement of a Pepsi-Cola on the kitchen counter (in a 60's Crawford flick), and the Columbia Pictures lady at the end with her head chopped off. You gotta see it!

I figured I'd bring up my original Guilty Pleasures thread, which went back longer than I thought. This is a fun topic, and I hope more newbies and oldtimers alike will contribute once again. Have at it!

My guilty pleasure: The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Also, there's this really awful old movie I sometimes see on TV, I forgot the name. Maybe I'll post this in the "Info, Please" forum. The plot is, they freeze this guy who was struck by lightning while playing golf, and decades later, when they have the technology, they thaw him out and bring him back to life. He has no idea how to live in this futuristic world, so a few guys take him in. People get babies from a machine and swallow pills instead of eating meals. Whenever the ex-dead guy sees something like this, he goes into a weird pose and says, "Bring back the good old days!" There are also a few musical numbers for some unfathomable reason. The singers use a lot of grace notes and roll their r's. All the dialogue is laughably bad. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

coffeedan--you're bringing up this old thread reminds me of people who I enjoyed posting. Where are all of you? I miss you.

britbrain, I have NO idea what movie you're talking about, but it sounds weird and hilarious! What era is it from? Is it B&W or color?

Sandy K