Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan, Coffee

Guilty Pleasures!!!

108 posts in this topic

My guilty pleasure is Casablanca. I could watch that one 24/7. Another is Goodby Mr. Chips with Greer Garson. One more is My Man Godfrey. There are more but these are at the top. :):) Sue

Sue--Those aren't movies to feel guilty about. Now, if you're like me and can't get enough of the Beach Party movies, then it's time to feel guilty. ;)

Oh my gosh, I love those Beach Party movies, too...Especially the one where a girl in a fringed dress is dancing during the title sequence and bumping the credits off the screen. I love that! I wanted a dress like that so bad after I saw that when I was a kid.

I also loved Eric Von Zipper. But I always wondered why Annette Funicello got the ugliest bathing suits. I didn't realize that they were trying to keep her modest-looking and virginal. I just never understood why she didn't have a cute bikini like the other girls.

Sandy K

I have a thing for some teenage 80's type movies- Breakfast Club ( she can put on her lipstick with her cleavage for goodness sakes! ), Pretty and Pink ( Duckies' dance scene in the record shop! )and Can't Buy Me Love ( telescope- or popularity? Hmmmmmm....)I have to watch them whenever they come on. Also some 80's non teenage movies like Big Business with Lily Tomlin and Bette Midler as twins. When they run into each other in the bathroom at the Plaza- guilty pleasure. I am guilty!! ( Like totally! :) )

LOL shainabluegirl--

My best friend in high school loved Molly Ringwold (probably because they were both redheads) and dragged me (protesting) to see all those movies. But when I got there, I loved them!

I totally agree with you about Casablanca. I could watch it over and over. I am a Bogart fan and believe this is arguably his best. I think I'll watch it tonight.

Joan Crawford and Bette Davis made some movies in the 60s that are at the top of my "guilty pleasures" list. They used to be shown in the wee hours on local t.v. here in L.A. and I remember struggling to stay awake to see the thrilling ending back when I was a kid. Now you can get them from Netflix.

Directed by the master of schlock horror, William Castle:

Straight-Jacket/Crawford out of prison for hacking up her hubby!

Homicidal! Murder ala Ed Wood filmed in picturesque Solvang, CA.

Dead Ringer/Davis kills sin twister and assumes her identity. Directed by Now Voyager's Paul Henreid.

I never had so much fun watching "bad" movies. Check them out.

I have a soft spot for 50s sci-fi and never tire of:

Them!

When Worlds Collide

Crack In The World

War of the Worlds

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Here are a couple I grew uo with...

MACUMBA LOVE United Artists 1960

THE SCREAMING SKULL AIP 1958

THE MANSTER (version on TCM doesn't have the ending on it!)

COSMIC MONSTERS (STRANGE WORLD OF PLANET X)

THE LOST WORLD-1960 version

I plead Guilty!

Despite the subject matter and staginess, I've always loved The Bad Seed (1956).

I would also like to see again some of the Universal B movies from the late 40's and early 50's with Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis, Rory Calhoun, Ray Danton, et al.

IT'S A GREAT FEELING with Doris Day, Dennis Morgan, & Jack Carson does it for me in the "guilty pleasures" category.

"merciiiiii, beaucooooooup"

The first one ....and I have many....that comes to mind is "Invasion of the Saucermen" 1957. I grew up in the 50's watching these campy sci fi movies. This one is a real jewel and hilarious.

Plot description from IMDB:

"A teenage couple making out in the woods accidentally runs over an alien creature with their car. The creature's hand falls off, but it comes alive, and, with an eye growing out of it, begins to stalk the teens. Meanwhile, Joe the town drunk wants to store the body in his refrigerator, but some of the alien's buddies inject alcohol into his system, and Joe dies of an overdose."

Frank Gorshin plays Joe. Other notable characters are Farmer Larkin played by George Hatton. A drunk cow and various other forgetable characters.

And the most notable quote of all time from Gloria Castillo playing Joan......

"I expected to be frightened on my wedding night, but nothing like this!"

Judy

The first one ....and I have many....that comes to mind is "Invasion of the Saucermen" 1957. I grew up in the 50's watching these campy sci fi movies. This one is a real jewel and hilarious.

Plot description from IMDB:

"A teenage couple making out in the woods accidentally runs over an alien creature with their car. The creature's hand falls off, but it comes alive, and, with an eye growing out of it, begins to stalk the teens. Meanwhile, Joe the town drunk wants to store the body in his refrigerator, but some of the alien's buddies inject alcohol into his system, and Joe dies of an overdose."

O. M. G.

That is too funny.

**Spoiler Warning**

ganavon1,

Quote:

"THE MANSTER (version on TCM doesn't have the ending on it!)"

Did the original ending to the movie show Manster splitting into 'Man' and 'ster'--'Man' heads east and 'ster' west? Am I remembering correctly?

Before broadcast on TCM, I told my wife to pay particular attention to "shoulder-eye" and "man-ster split". We caught the errant eye but...no splits!

If I did remember the ending correctly--the shame and self-loathing I felt at having been incorrect about Manster finale was not warranted...hah!

Rusty

I love all those Beach Party movies and their derivatives. However, I happen to think of a movie that most "normal" people hate that I just love. Cabin Boy with Chris Elliot. That movie just cracks me up and I've seen it at least 50 times. The plot is confusing, the "special effects" are cheesy and the acting (by some) is not that great. But put them all together and it's one cheesetastic viewing experience. It's so absurd that you can't believe you're actually watching it or that someone actually gave Elliott the money to make it. I recommend it IF (AND ONLY IF) you're a fan of Chris Elliott. If not--don't waste your time, you'll hate it and me.

helenwheels,

Sound familiar?

"...you're one of them fancy lads...aren't ya'?"

-David Letterman

A quote I love.

Regarding "Cabin Boy":

Opinions like, "The worst movie made in the last ten years" from movie critics--what do they know. "Cabin Boy" is hilarious, eccentric, stupid and sometimes, daring.

Whatever happened to Chris Elliot? I really liked his Fox TV series "Get A Life". I must of been one of a tiny minority--I remember seeing it listed in the Nielsen ratings at 65 out of 70 rated shows. Oh well, I still have some of the shows on tape.

Rusty

Hello,

This is strange.

IMDB does not even list "Get A Life" for Chris Elliot's filmography!

Jeez, I thought that database encompassed everything.

Rusty

I love Don Knotts so I am guilty of watching some silly movies such as The Incredible Mr. Limpet ,The Shakiest Gun In The West and The Ghost and Mr Chicken. I love these movies along with Apple Dumpling Gang and others. I watch them with my children and they love them too!!

For you Chris Elliot fans: he's written a book called "The Shroud of the Thwacker," a psuedo-historical fictional comedy about a serial killer in late 1800s New York. A friend has a copy and the book jacket description looked hysterical, in a decidedly off beat, very Chris Elliot sort of way.

Raven,

Try to find a copy of "The Atomic Submarine", 1958.

I like all of the titles on your list, and I think you would get a kick out of the above film like I did. It has everything! I LOVE it!!! LOL

Judy.

The really funny thing about "Invasion of the Saucermen" is that it was remade a few years later on an even cheaper budget. I can't remember the name of the remake, but they were so cheap that they couldn't afford full suits for all of the aliens. Some of them only had full head masks and gloves and wore black body suits to complete their ensembles.

Myself, I love all of the old Charlie Chan movies with Warner Oland and Sidney Toler. It's always fun finding his son's in later movies and TV shows. I even saw Toler playing a Mexican in (I believe) a Gene Autrey movie.

Charlie

I know I am a little late in responding to your post (5 months) but I just read it and the movie you are talking about is called "Just Imagine". I have never seen it but my sister remembered it and then she thought she knew the name of the movie but she wasn't sure so I put the title in the TCM database and sure enough she was right. It sounds really funny.

I can't imagine a cheaper version of "Invasion of the Saucermen".

I also love the old Charlie Chan movies as well as the Sherlock Holmes series staring Basil Rathbone. Those are priceless!!

Judy