Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan, Coffee

Guilty Pleasures!!!

108 posts in this topic

Just looked it up. The remake was titled "The Eye Creatures." I think the monster masks had multiple eyes.

Basil Rathbone was the quintessential S. Holmes. And Nigel Bruce was the perfect sidekick with his bluster and gullibility. I love the entire series as well, even though most of them are set in England of the '30's and '40's. Purists probably find this irritating.

Charlie

Message was edited by:

CharlieT

Speaking of Eye Creatures.....my movie group reviewed The Crawling Eye starring Forest Tucker several years ago. It was a real hoot and very entertaining. Just talking about it makes me want to revisit these 50's sci fi's.

One of my very favorites is The Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954). It's underwater scenes are so beautifully filmed. It's worth watching JUST for those scenes alone. I always liked the Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller) movies that had underwater scenes. They just fascinate me.

IMO The Sherlock Holmes series with Basil R. are so good B E C A U S E they are set in England in the 30's and 40's .

Judy

I remember as a child waiting up on Friday nights for the late news to end so Chiller Theatre could start. Movies like The Crawling Eye and The Creature From the Black Lagoon thrived there. It was where I was introduced to Frankenstein, his bride and son, Dracula, the Wolfman and the Mummy. Not to mention giant grasshoppers, praying mantises, ants and spiders.

Tarzan and Jungle Jim were reserved for Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings were home for westerns on a program called "Bar4 Corral." During the summer when school was out, I found Fred and Ginger, Bogey and Cagney on the late, late show.

I know a lot of these aren't considered classics by many of the posters here, but they are the ones that are brought to mind whenever I see the listings for TCM. I can't say I enjoy every film they show, but I appreciate the effort they put in to keep the classics the way they were meant to be seen.

Pleasures? Guilty!

Charlie

I love movies from the 1948-1959 era, back then everything looked so quaint, white picket fences, kids reading comic books about flying saucers, families eating together at the table, the streets look so clean, crooners gave the era real atmosphere, Debbie was dating Eddie, everyone was talking about atomic power, Gene Weed and Bill Balance were on the radio and Jane Powell sang 'Love can change the stars', oh what a wonderful era that must have been.

The 1957 Paramount Arabian Nights adventure, OMAR KHAYYAM, with Cornel Wilde and Michael Rennie, and John Carpenter's BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, a film so bad, it's good.

LOL! Noooooo!

Not for THAT reason!

Its just an entertaining film to me!

I am a female..."straight" I may add, so I don't really care about Jane Russells' puppies! LOL!