Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

Christmas Holiday(1944)

7 posts in this topic

LT Charles Mason(Dean Harens)on leave gets a Dear John letter from his girlfriend.Charles meets nightclub singer Jackie Lamount(Deanna Durbin)with a sad story to tell.

Jackie had once been married to Robert Manette(Gene Kelly)whos doing time for murder.Roberts mom(Gale Sondergaard)stupidly blames Jackie for her sons problem.

Charles and Jackie are falling in love,but they soon get word Robert has escaped.

Not a typical Deanna Durbin or Gene Kelly film,but its still good.

Dir Robert Siodmak.

Deanna sings Always and Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year.

my only gripe about this film is the Sinatra Standard,Ill Remember April is played but never sung.Deanna would have done a Great job with this Great tune.Its a shame she never sang it in a movie or recorded it.

Edited by: ERROL23 on Mar 22, 2012 8:14 PM

Edited by: ERROL23 on Mar 22, 2012 8:14 PM

I think they were shown as a double bill late last year in San Francisco, as part of that city's "Film Noir Festival." I agree that coupling them together is a great idea.

At least Lady on a Train is available on DVD as part of the DEANNA DURBIN SWEETHEART PACK released by MCA/UNIVERSAL several years ago. As far as I know, Christmas Holiday has never received a commercial DVD release in the U.S., though it was included as part of a 19 DVD Durbin Collection released in the U.K. some years back.

Sort of strange seeing Gene Kelly doing a Film Noir.But,he hung up his dancing shoes from time to time.Cross Of Lorraine,The Black Hand,Pilot #5,etc,

He was also a standout in The Three Musketeers(1948)Ill bet Errol Flynn himself stood in line to see this Great Swashbuckler Epic.

Gene was also great as Father OMalley in the TV series,Going My Way(With Leo G Carroll in the Barry Fitgerald part and Dick York)Guest stars GALORE,Dan Duryea,Preston Foster,Richard Conte,Eddie Bracken,Henry Morgan,James Whitmore,Billy MummyRalph Meeker,etc,to name but a few.

Gene was tops in his profession.

Edited by: ERROL23 on Jul 15, 2012 7:29 PM

Edited by: ERROL23 on Jul 15, 2012 7:31 PM