Sign in to follow this  
flashback42

[b]Who said this? No, really, who said this?[/b]

9 posts in this topic

This not a challenge thread. It's for comments where the poster is not sure of the source, and is asking for that info. I have two of them at the moment:

*1.* Read recently, jotted it down, did not write down the name of the speaker. Who said this?

"When you get to my age you get a lot of "Lifetime Achievement Awards". I'm getting about two every week. There ought to be a Survivor Award. I nominate myself."

*2.* Read a few years ago, do not remember the name of the writer. Brought to mind by a recent obit:

"Any nation that thinks Andy Rooney is a curmudgeon can not really handle a lot of stress."

Any info on the sources of these quotes

Thanks, Sixes, but I've got to keep looking. The "age" quote could have been Betty White; it's more contemporary than Burns, I think. But a scroll-through of both Bio sites yielded nothing. But thanks.

Again, posting a question I don't have a sure answer to. I'm going on memory of something read years ago. I have a name, but I have not been able to confirm. As I remember, it involved the anticipation and preperation for Johnny Carson's retirement from *The Tonight Show.* Almost everyone knows about the questions as to who would take the show after he left -- that's been worth a TVM that exposed a lot.

My question is about the series of farewell performances leading up to the retirement. There was one actress, Very Big Name, that Johnny wanted to be a guest at or near the end. She just didn't want to do it. She was in retirement, or semi-retirement somewhere in northern Cal, if memory serves. and she just didn't want to take the trip and put in the effort. Johnny's retirement fetes went down without her.

Is this familiar to anyone?

The first quote sounds more like Burns. It reads more like he spoke.

Couldn't begin to guess the second.

And as far as that retired actress? Now you've got MY curiosity piqued!

Sepiatone

I'll go ahead and use the name. If I'm right about this, the lady with the negative RSVP to Johnny's farewell bash was Kim Novak. I've scrounged a little more, and there's one correction. She and her MD husband raise horses in Oregon, not Northern California.

Again, can anyone confirm this event I think I remember reading about?

*ONE FOR THE OSCAR SEASON*

Again, bringing up a story read years ago, can find no support currently. As told: There had been some recent events of some nominees not attending Academy Awards ceremonies, and some winners having their awards being accepted by others in their absence.

An Academy official, trying to bolster the upcoming ceremonies, made phone calls to nominees, urging them to attend. One nominated actress was reluctant to commit herself to the trip. (For her, it would involve transatlantic travel.) She said, "If you promise I'll win I will be there." He gave his solemn promise she would win ("What could she do, sue me?") As it turned out, she did win for best performance by an actress in a lead role.

Has anybody else ever heard or read this story. What name, what title involved.

No response. If this happened as I got it, it involved Julie Christie and her Oscar win for the female lead role in 1965's *Darling*. Anyone else ever heard it?

Open thread.

Again, posting a quote in hope of someone naming the person quoted. I heard the comment, and I know who was addressed, but can't remember who said it.

During the Charlie Sheen Roast on BRAVO, one of the rosters said to the guest of honor, "You only have a career because God doesn't love Michael J. Fox."

Who said that??

Another one that I read somewhere, can not confirm it or name the source.

A black athlete-turned-actor who served an apprenticeship in small support roles. Developed a career, and gave some distinguished performances in significant stories. Favorable critical acclaim. Deceased before the turn of the Century.

I will not name this performer, but am sure I remember a story about him saying something about getting tired of being mentioned as a "breakthrough" leader for Black performers, and something like, "...when I die, if Heaven isn't already integrated, I'm not going there."

Is this story familiar to anyone? Name of the speaker?