Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

-30- Enjoyable newspaper drama with Jack Webb, Sunday night 1/29

8 posts in this topic

This is similar in tones in some ways to Bogart's Deadline U.S.A., just without the criminal part of the story. Jack Webb plays an editor during the events of one night. William Conrad is in it, too, and provides some of the best moments. It's cornball, to be sure, but worth checking out right after Webb's The D.I. (For those who don't know what "-30-" means, you will find out at the end of the picture.)

6777023127_334217548e_b.jpg

Outstanding !!!!!! I just watched the D.I. last week first time I have seen it in 40 years. I don't agree with the review that describes this film as being "high camp" I never had the honor of being a marine I served elsewhere , but I suspect every one who ever served anywhere wondered if he could have cut it in the "Corps" and would have liked the chance to find out. Good movie ,great performance by Jack Webb.

The first time I saw "Full Metal Jacket" and R Lee Ermey's D.I., all I could think of was Jack Webb in "The D.I."

I saw the "D.I." when it first opened at the Paramount Theater in New York City. To my knowledge no one had ever played a D.I. like Webb before. There had been movie D.I.'s before, Lon Chaney, Randolph {chorus please } Scott and a few others, but never like Webb's Drill Instructor.

There had been a Marine recruiting station right across from the theater, a week or so after the opening it was reported that recruitment was down by quite a percentage. They had used real Marines in the film and like "FMJ" a real D.I. The man playing Sgt. O'Neill was in fact Junior D.I. Cpl John R. Brown, a D.I. at Parris Island.The film slows down a little when Webb and Brown hit the local night spot and he meets Jackie Loughery, soon to be Mrs Jack Webb #3.

Webbs film is based on a Kraft TV Theater episode called "The Murder of a Sand Flea" in 1956 with Rip Torn.

The Marines had a black eye when the previous year a D.I. had marched new recruits into a swamp area at night and 6 were drown. This became known as "The Ribbon Creek Incident" and it cast a negative view of the corps. The D.I. was found guilty at a court martial and reduced to private serves 9 months in the brig and discharged. Many producers wanted to make a film on this, but the Marines was not about to assist them. Webb approached with the idea to do the Kraft show into a film and give the Marines a more positive spin. They agreed ...

By the way... I loved the "D.I.".....

Edited by: fredbaetz on Jan 28, 2012 3:22 PM

Thanks for all the info on this film...set to record it too.

I have an oddball film poster collection and the above poster is in it. Love Jack Webb, the pose, the stark contrast, etc. The bongo player image is what sold it to me though.

Glad it's a decent movie too. We don't see enough of Jack Webb outside of Dragnet. Noticed next month Pete Kelly's Blues will be broadcast on TCM. Love that one!