Sign in to follow this  
kingrat

The 21st Unofficial TCM Programming Challenge: Revising the Oscars

62 posts in this topic

Now to explain my programming. Sunday marks the birthday of Immanuel Kant, so we start with two movies about particularly rigorous examples of moral duty. It's also Nabokov's birthday, so we have Lolita. The McCarthy-Army hearings started this day, so we have Joseph Welch's one film role, plus a movie about actual witchhunts. Then we celebrate Earth Day with three movies involving the environment, ending with Chinatown, which conveniently coincidies with Jack Nicholson's birthday. In a coincidence that no doubt annoyed Nabokov to no end, it's also Lenin's birthday. Instead of the expected Eisenstein, we have a premiere for Pudovkin. And for the foreign film Sunday we have two movies that touch upon spring, if not arguably summer. Monday we have four films in honor of Simone Simon, whose birthday it is. It's also the birthday of Prokofiev and producer Ronald Neame, so we have films where they contributed. Monday also marks the anniversary of the last attempted coup in France, with generals trying to prevent Algerian independence, so we have The Day of the Jackal, which present a fictional aftermath. Shakespeare gets celebrated with a foreign language version of Macbeth. Then we celebrate birthday director Frank Borzage with five films, interrupting him only with a premiere for Michael Moore, whose birthday this is also is.

Tuesday marks the birthday of Robert Penn Warren, so we have the film version of his most famous work. Tuesday also marks the Easter Rebellion, so we have three movies about Ireland, which all touch on the IRA. William Castle and Shirley MacClaine also get their birthdays celebrated, and then we move to star of the month Erland Josephson. Wednesday marks Italy's Liberation from Fascism, so we have a whole day dedicated to Italian movies! Thursday is the anniversary of the creation of the Gestapo, so it's nice to be reminded that Hangmen also Die. John Wilkes Booth died this day, so why not have a film by his most famous cinematic portrayer, Raoul Walsh, about another colorful murderer. We have two movies, one Russian and one American, which touch on the Chernobyl disaster which started today. Then we have four films in tribute to birthday director Douglas Sirk, followed by a tribute to three movie ladies whose birthday it is: Marianne Jean Baptiste, Joan Chen and Anita Loos.

Friday marks the birthday of Mary Wolstonecraft, the founder of modern feminism, so we have four movies about strong women. The last of the four deals with South Africa, which conveniently marks the anniversary of that country's first democratic election. Jack Klugman gets his birthday honored, and so does Anouk Aimee. We then have a special tribute to birthday director Theo Angelopoulos, who recently died. Finally for our underground feature we have one movie that is very dark and overcast and another that spends much of the time literally underground. For Saturday, we start with a movie for birthday girl Ann-Margret, and three for birthday boy Lionel Barrymore. His last movie segues into a Pacific theme for the day. Today marks the start of the Kon-Tiki expedition, as well as the Mutiny on the Bounty. So we have an exploring South Pacific theme, with Sean Connery and Michael Caine making a detour near Afghanistan (that's quite the detour). Today also marks the end of the American occupation of Japan, so we have two movies about its beginning. Another Pacific adventure from Terrence Malick is followed by my final premiere, a documentary about war crimes in Vietnam, which marks Nixon's invasion of Cambodia.

So did I miss anything? Oh right, my altenate oscars! Here they are.

Sunday

1954 Sansho the Bailiff

Best Black and White Cinematography

1977 The Ascent

Best Foreign Language Film

1962 Lolita

Best Supporting Actress --- Shelly Winters

1943 Day of Wrath

Best Actress -- Lisbeth Moivin

1949 Late Spring

Best Picture

Best Director -- Yasujiro Ozu

Best Actress -- Setusko Hara (among other awards)

1965 Pierrot Le Fou

Best Actor --Jean Pierre Belmondo

Monday

1957 Throne of Blood

Best Supporting Actress -- Isuzu Yamada

1989 Roger and Me

Best Documentary Feature

Tuesday

1979 Being There

Best Actor -- Peter Sellers

1983 Fanny and Alexander

Best Picture

Best Director -- Ingmar Bergman

Best Actor -- Bertil Guive

Best Supporting Actress -- Grun Wallgreen (among other awards)

1986 The Sacrifice

Best Actor -- Erland Josephson

Wedneday

1950 The Flowers of Saint Francis

1951 Miracle in Milan

1957 Nights of Cabiria

Best Director -- Federico Fellini

Best Actress -- Giulietta Massina

1963 The Leopard

Best Picture

Best Director -- Luschino Visconti

Best Actor -- Burt Lancaster

Best Supporting Actor -- Alain Delon

Best Supporting Actress -- Claudia Cardinale (among others)

1978 The Tree of Wooden Clogs

Thursday

1996 Secrets and Lies

Best Supporting Actress -- Marianne Jean Baptiste

Best Original Screenplay

Friday

1927-28 The Passion of Joan of Arc

Best Picture

Best Director -- Carl Theodor Dreyer

Best Actress (EVER!) -- Maria Falconetti

1957 Twelve Angry Men

Best Picture

Best Actor -- Henry Fonda

1988 Landscape in the Mist

Best Director -- Theo Angelopoulos

1998 Eternity and a Day

Best Actor -- Bruno Ganz

1982 Blade Runner

Best Art Direction

Saturday

1975 The Man who Would be King

Best Actor -- Michael Caine

1998 The Thin Red Line

Best Director -- Terrence Malick

Best Cinematography

1972 Winter Soldier

Best Documenary Feature

Edited by: skimpole on Feb 9, 2012 4:36 PM

Edited by: skimpole on Feb 9, 2012 5:47 PM

I love your schedule, skimpole. You have so many wonderful movies, including some I've seen and some I'd love to see. The idea of celebrating Italy's independence from the Nazis is a great one, especially with the films you've chosen.

Hollywood hasn't often included foreign actors, directors, and behind the scenes technicians in their Oscars, but you've mentioned some very deserving candidates. We totally agree that Falconetti gave the best performance by a woman ever.

I'd love to see TCM work some of these foreign films into their schedule.

The month is only nine days old, and we already have three terrific schedules, each completely different in approach. That's what makes these challenges so much fun.

LonesomePolecat,

Your schedule is absolutely wonderful! :)

I agree that *The Cabinet of Dr Caligari* (1919) must be seen by all. It is on one of my drafts of a schedule for that very reason.

Peter Ustinov is a great selection for SOTM! He is in many of my favorite movies and he is always a delight.

When I saw "All that Jazz" I hoped you had chosen that movie as it is high on my list of favorites and I sometimes fear that no one else in the world knows that it exists. Even without that movie you have scheduled a great day with a mixture of movie genres and styles that is seldom seen. I believe this is the first time I have seen *Le Desordre et La Nuit* and *A Boy Named Charlie Brown* and *Goldfinger* within the same theme.

"I Am My Own Evil Twin" is inspired! :) It is a great twist on the actor-in-multiple-roles motif. Seeing themes like this is what makes the Challenges so much fun to read.

I agree completely with you Oscar corrections. All of those stars deserved recognition they did not receive.

I hope you will understand that my praise for your excellent work contains a touch of frustration because you have set the bar so high.

Thanks, SansFin! You are ever so kind. Sorry for not including ALL THAT JAZZ, but (bows head in shame) I've actually never seen that movie, so it's not on my radar. But I certainly will see it now.

Two and a half weeks to go in our Revising the Oscars programming challenge. So far, JamesinArlington, Lonesome Polecat, and skimpole have posted three outstanding schedules. I'm looking forward to more. BetteDavis19 and aimalac are working on their very first schedules, which is great. I believe audreyforever is planning to make a "return," as Gloria Swanson says. What whimsical treats will SansFin have for us? At the last minute countessdelave will probably post one of her usual delightful programs, no doubt including some of her favorite 1930s films. Fedya usually doesn't announce in advance that he's entering; all at once an incredibly witty schedule appears as if by magic. Does filmlover have time to join us? Will the lure of revising the Oscars bring lzcutter and KyleinHollywood back in the fold?

There's still time for more newcomers or veterans to start from scratch and dazzle us (and better, the real TCM programmers) with your concoctions.

SansFin's Challenge Schedule

January 13-19, 2013

13 Sunday

Bad Doc, No Biscuit

6:00 AM *Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari* (1920) Conrad Veidt, Werner Krauss, Friedrich Feher. Dir: Robert Wiene. Decla-Bioscop AG, 71 mins., Public Domain

7:15 AM *Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse* (1933) Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Otto Wernicke, Gustav Diessl. Dir: Fritz Lang. Nero-Film AG, 121 mins., P/S

9:30 AM *Circus of Horrors* (1960) Anton Diffring, Erika Remberg, Yvonne Monlaur. Dir: Sidney Hayers. Lynx, 87 mins., P/S

11:00 AM *Dr. No* (1962) Sean Connery, Ursula Andress, Joseph Wiseman. Dir: Terence Young. UA, 110 mins., P/S

1:00 PM *Frankenstein* (1931) Colin Clive, Mae Clarke, Boris Karloff. Dir: James Whale. Universal, 70 mins., P/S

2:15 PM *Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde* (1932) Fredric March, Miriam Hopkins, Rose Hobart. Dir: Rouben Mamoulian. MGM, 96 mins.

4:00 PM *Mad Love* (1935) Peter Lorre, Frances Drake, Colin Clive. Dir: Karl Freund. MGM, 68 mins.

5:15 PM *Murders in the Rue Morgue* (1932) Bela Lugosi, Sidney Fox, Leon Ames. Dir: Robert Florey. Universal, 61 mins., P/S

6:30 PM *Dr. Cyclops* (1940) Albert Dekker, Thomas Coley, Janice Logan. Dir: Ernest B. Schoedsack. Paramount, 76 mins., P/S

Account Deceivable

8:00 PM *Caf? Metropole* (1937) Loretta Young, Tyrone Power, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: Edward H. Griffith. Fox, 83 mins., Premiere #1

9:30 PM *This Side of Heaven* (1934) Lionel Barrymore, Fay Bainter, Mae Clarke. Dir: William K. Howard. MGM, 77 mins.

11:00 PM *The Cheat* (1915) Sessue Hayakawa, Fannie Ward, Jack Dean. Dir: Cecil B.DeMille. Lasky, 59mins, P/S

Silent Sunday Night

12:00 AM *A Woman Of Affairs* (1928) Greta Garbo, John Gilbert, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Dir: Clarence Brown. MGM, 91 mins.

TCM Imports

1:45 AM *Zatoichi's Revenge* (1965) Shintar? Katsu, Norihei Miki, Takeshi Kat?. Dir: Akira Inoue. Daiei Studios, 84 mins., Exempt

3:15 AM *Le Corbeau* (1943) Pierre Fresnay, Ginette Leclerc, Micheline Francey. Dir: Henri-Georges Clouzot. Continental, 90 mins., P/S

4:45 AM *Three Who Loved* (1931) Betty Compson, Conrad Nagel, Robert Ames. Dir: George Archainbaud. RKO, 64 mins.

14 Monday

A Rabbit of Warrens

6:00 AM *Chandler* (1971) Warren Oates, Leslie Caron, Alex Dreier. Dir: Paul Magwood. MGM, 86 mins.

7:30 AM *The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone* (1961) Vivien Leigh, Warren Beatty, Coral Browne. Dir: Jos? Quintero. AAP, 103 mins., P/S

9:15 AM *Always In My Heart* (1942) Walter Huston, Kay Francis, Gloria Warren. Dir: Jo Graham. WB, 92 mins.

11:00 AM *Tension At Table Rock* (1956) Richard Egan, Dorothy Malone, Angie Dickinson. Dir: Charles Marquis Warren. RKO, 93 mins.

12:45 PM *Fugitive in the Sky* (1937) Warren Hull, Jean Muir, Gordon Oliver. Dir: Nick Grinde. WB, 58 mins.

1:15 PM *Skyscraper Souls* (1932) Warren William, Maureen O'Sullivan, Verree Teasdale. Dir: Edgar Selwyn. MGM, 99 mins.

3:30 PM *Passport to Pimlico* (1949) Stanley Holloway, Betty Warren, Barbara Murray. Dir: Henry Cornelius. Rank, 84 mins., P/S

5:00 PM *The Case Against Brooklyn* (1958) Darren McGavin, Margaret Hayes, Warren Stevens. Dir: Paul Wendkos. Columbia, 82 mins., P/S

6:30 PM *Bluebeard's Eighth Wife* (1938) Claudette Colbert, Gary Cooper, Warren Hymer. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. Paramount, 85 mins., P/S

Faye Dunaway Birthday Tribute

8:00 PM *Bonnie and Clyde* (1967) Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Michael J. Pollard. Dir: Arthur Penn. WB, 111 mins., P/S

10:00 PM *Chinatown* (1974) Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston. Dir: Roman Polanski. Paramount, 130 mins., P/S

12:15 AM *Eyes of Laura Mars* (1978) Faye Dunaway, Tommy Lee Jones, Brad Dourif. Dir: Irvin Kershner. Columbia, 104 mins., Premiere #2

2:00 AM *The Thomas Crown Affair* (1968) Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway, Paul Burke. Dir: Norman Jewison. UA, 102 mins., P/S

3:45 AM *Network* (1976)William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Peter Finch. Dir: Sidney Lumet. MGM, 121 mins.

15 Tuesday

Cat as Cat Can

6:00 AM *Rhubarb* (1951) Ray Milland, Jan Sterling, Gene Lockhart. Dir: Arthur Lubin. Paramount, 94 mins., Premiere #3

7:45 AM *Alice in Wonderland* (1931) Tom Corless, Ruth Gilbert, Gus Alexander. Dir: Bud Pollard. Metropolitan, 55 mins., Premiere #4

8:45 AM *Alice in Wonderland* (1933) Richard Arlen, Gary Cooper, W.C. Fields. Dir: Norman Z. McLeod. Paramount, 76 mins., Premiere #5

10:15 AM *Seven Years Bad Luck* (1921) Max Linder, Thelma Percy, Alta Allen. Dir: Max Linder. Linder Prods., 62 mins., P/S

11:30 AM *The Case of the Black Cat* (1936) Ricardo Cortez, Jane Bryan, Harry Davenport. Dir: William C. McGann. WB, 66 mins.

12:45 PM *The Black Cat* (1934) Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Julie Bishop. Dir: Edgar G. Ulmer. Universal, 65 mins., P/S

2:00 PM *Bell, Book and Candle* (1959) James Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon. Dir: Richard Quine. Columbia, 106 mins., P/S

4:00 PM *Breakfast At Tiffany's* (1961) Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Patricia Neal. Dir: Blake Edwards. Jurow, 114 mins., P/S

6:00 PM *To Catch a Thief* (1955) Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Jessie Royce Landis. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Paramount, 106 mins., P/S

Star of the Month: George Hamilton

8:00 PM *Evel Knievel* (1971) George Hamilton, Sue Lyon, Bert Freed. Dir: Marvin J. Chomsky. George Hamilton Productions, 99 mins., Public Domain

9:45 PM *Act One* (1963) George Hamilton, Jason Robards, Jack Klugman. Dir: Dore Schary. WB. 110 mins., Premiere #6

11:45 PM *Your Cheatin' Heart* (1964) George Hamilton, Susan Oliver, Red Buttons. Dir: Gene Nelson. MGM, 99 mins.

1:30 AM *Love at First Bite* (1979) George Hamilton, Susan Saint James, Arte Johnson. Dir: Stan Dragoti. M. S. Prods., 94 mins., Premiere #7

3:15 AM *The Godfather Part III* (1990) Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire. Dir: Francis Ford Coppola. Paramount, 162 mins., Premiere #8

16 Wednesday

A Fowl Day

6:00 AM *The Egg And I* (1947) Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, Marjorie Main. Dir: Chester Erskine. Universal, 108 mins., P/S

8:00 AM *Everything's Ducky* (1961) Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney, Jackie Cooper. Dir: Don Taylor. Columbia, 80 mins., P/S

9:30 AM *Something for the Birds* (1952) Victor Mature, Patricia Neal, Edmund Gwenn. Dir: Robert Wise. Fox, 81 mins., Premiere #9

11:00 AM *The Birds* (1963) Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Jessica Tandy. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Universal, 119 mins., P/S

1:00 PM *Paris When It Sizzles* (1964) Audrey Hepburn, William Holden, Noel Coward. Dir: Richard Quine. Quine, 110 mins., P/S

3:00 PM *Sherlock Holmes Faces Death* (1943) Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Hillary Brooke. Dir: Roy William Neill. Universal, 68 mins., P/S

4:15 PM *Ellery Queen, Master Detective* (1940) Ralph Bellamy, Margaret Lindsay, Charley Grapewin. Dir: James P. Hogan. Columbia, 69 mins., Premiere #10

5:30 PM *Find the Blackmailer* (1943) Jerome Cowan, Faye Emerson, Gene Lockhar. Dir: D. Ross Lederman. WB, 55 mins.

6:30 PM *The Raven* (1963) Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff. Dir: Roger Corman. Alta Vista Productions, 86 mins., P/S

Guest Programmer

8:00 PM *My Neighbor Totoro* (1988) Dakota Fanning, Timothy Daly, Lea Salonga. Dir: Hayao Miyazaki. Studio Ghibli, 88 mins., P/S

9:30 PM *If I Were King* (1938) Ronald Colman, Basil Rathbone, Frances Dee. Dir: Frank Lloyd. Paramount, 100 mins., P/S

11:15 PM *Les Mis?rables* (1958) Jean Gabin, Bernard Blier, Ren? Fleur. Dir: Jean-Paul Le Chanois. Deutsche Film, 210 mins., Premiere #11

2:45 AM *Red Beard* (1965) Toshiro Mifune, Yuzo Kayama, Yoshio Tsuchiya. Dir: Akira Kurosawa. Toho, 184 mins., P/S

17 Thursday

There is an Elephant in the Room

6:00 AM *Elephant Walk* (1954) Elizabeth Taylor, Dana Andrews, Peter Finch. Dir: William Dieterle. Paramount, 103 mins., P/S

7:45 AM *Zoo in Budapest* (1933) Loretta Young, Gene Raymond, O.P. Heggie. Dir: Rowland V. Lee. Fox, 83 mins., P/S

9:15 AM *The Rains Came* (1939) Myrna Loy, Tyrone Power, George Brent. Dir: Clarence Brown. Fox, 104 mins., P/S

11:00 AM *Trailer Horn* (1950) Harry Carey, Edwina Booth, Duncan Renaldo. Dir: W.S. Van Dyke. RKO, 122 mins.

1:15 PM *King Solomon's Mines* (1937) Cedric Hardwicke, Paul Robeson, Anna Lee. Dir: Robert Stevenson. MGM, 80 mins.

2:45 PM *Hatari!* (1962) John Wayne, Elsa Martinelli, Red Buttons. Dir: Howard Hawks. Malabar, 157 mins., P/S

5:30 PM *The Circus Queen Murder* (1933) Adolphe Menjou, Greta Nissen, Dwight Frye. Dir: Roy William Neill. Columbia, 65 mins., P/S

6:45 PM *Mexican Spitfire's Elephant* (1942) Lupe Velez, Leon Errol, Walter Reed. Dir: Leslie Goodwins, RKO, 64 mins.

Noah Beery Birthday Tribute

8:00 PM *The Vanishing American* (1925) Richard Dix, Lois Wilson, Noah Beery. Dir: George B. Seitz. Famous Players, 110 mins., P/S

10:00 PM *The Godless Girl* (1929) Lina Basquette, Marie Prevost, Tom Keene. Dir: Cecil B. DeMille. DeMille Prods., 119 mins., P/S

12:00 AM *She Done Him Wrong* (1933) Mae West, Cary Grant, Owen Moore. Dir: Lowell Sherman. Paramount, 64 mins., P/S

1:15 A0 PM *Noah's Ark* (1928) Dolores Costello, George O'Brien, Noah Beery. Dir: Michael Curtiz. WB, 135 mins.

3:30 AM *Cockeyed Cavaliers* (1934) Bert Wheeler, Robert Woolsey, Thelma Todd. Dir: Mark Sandrich. RKO, 72 mins.

4:45 AM *Kentucky Kernels* (1935) Bert Wheeler, Robert Woolsey, Noah Beery. Dir: George Stevens. RKO, 75 mins.

18 Friday

A Fishy Story

6:00 AM *Captains Courageous* (1937) Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew, Lionel Barrymore. Dir: Victor Fleming. MGM, 115 mins.

8:00 AM *The Old Man and the Sea* (1958) Spencer Tracy, Felipe Pazos, Harry Bellaver. Dir: John Sturges. WB, 86 mins., P/S

9:30 AM *White Shadows In The South Seas* (1928) Monte Blue, Raquel Torres, Robert Anderson. Dir: W.S. Van Dyke II. MGM, 85 mins.

11:00 AM *20,000 Leagues Under The Sea* (1954) Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas. Dir: Richard Fleischer. Disney, 127 mins., P/S

1:15 PM *Peg O' My Heart* (1933) Marion Davies, Onslow Stevens, J. Farrell MacDonald. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard. MGM, 87 mins.

2:45 PM *Man's Favorite Sport?* (1964) Rock Hudson, Paula Prentiss, Maria Perschy. Dir: Howard Hawks. Gibraltar Productions, 120 mins., P/S

4:45 PM *Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid* (1948) William Powell, Ann Blyth, Irene Hervey. Dir: Irving Pichel. Universal, 89 mins., P/S

6:15 PM *The Incredible Mr. Limpet* (1964) Don Knotts, Andrew Duggan, Jack Weston. Dir: Arthur Lubin, WB, 99 mins., P/S

Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.

8:00 AM *The Crime of Monsieur Lange* (1936) Ren? Lef?vre, Florelle, Jules Berry. Dir: Jean Renoir. Films Ob?ron, 80 mins., Premiere #12

9:30 PM *Kind Hearts and Coronets* (1949) Alec Guinness, Dennis Price, Joan Greenwood. Dir: Robert Hamer. Ealing, 104 mins., P/S

11:15 PM *The Ladykillers* (1955) Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Katie Johnson. Dir: Alexander Mackendrick. JAR, 87 mins., P/S

12:45 AM *The Little Shop of Horrors* (1960) Jonathan Haze, Jackie Joseph, Mel Welles. Dir: Roger Corman. Filmgroup, 70 mins., Public Domain

TCM Underground

2:00 AM *Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998) Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Nick Moran. Dir: Guy Ritchie. Summit Entertainment, 107 mins., Exempt

4:00 AM *Monsieur Verdoux* (1947) Charles Chaplin, Martha Raye, Isobel Elsom. Dir: Charles Chaplin. Chaplin Prods., 119 mins., P/S

19 Saturday

Spineless Gits

6:00 AM *Them!* (1954) James Arness, James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn. Dir: Gordon Douglas. WB, 93 mins., P/S

7:45 AM *The Day of the Triffids* (1962) Howard Keel, Nicole Maurey, Janette Scott. Dir: Steve Sekely. Allied Artists, 93 mins., Premiere #13

9:30 AM *The Blob* (1958) Steve McQueen, Aneta Corseaut, Earl Rowe. Dir: Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr. Paramount, 82 mins., P/S

11:00 AM *Five Million Years to Earth* (1968) James Donald, Andrew Keir, Barbara Shelley. Dir: Roy Ward Baker. Hammer, 98 mins., P/S

12:45 PM *Attack of the Giant Leeches* (1959) Ken Clark, Yvette Vickers, Jan Shepard. Dir: Bernard L. Kowalski. AIP, 62 mins., Public Domain

2:00 PM *Attack of the Crab Monsters* (1957) Richard Garland, Pamela Duncan, Russell Johnson. Dir: Roger Corman. Los Altos, 62 mins., P/S

3:15 PM *Tarantula* (1955) John Agar, Mara Corday, Leo G. Carroll. Dir: Jack Arnold. Universal, 80 mins., P/S

4:45 PM *Horrors of Spider Island* (1960) Harald Maresch, Helga Franck, Alexander D'Arcy. Dir: Fritz B?ttger. Intercontinental, 89 mins., Public Domain

6:15 PM *Mysterious Island* (1961) Michael Craig, Michael Callan, Joan Greenwood. Dir: Cy Endfield. Columbia, 101 mins., P/S

The Should-Have-Been 1944 Oscars

TCM Essentials

Best Actress: Ida Lupino

8:00 PM *In Our Time* (1944) Ida Lupino, Paul Henreid, Alla Nazimova. Dir: Vincent Sherman. WB, 110 mins.

Best Actor: Fred MacMurray

10:00 PM *Double Indemnity* (1944) Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson. Dir: Billy Wilder. Paramount, 107 mins., P/S

Best Picture: Laura

12:00 AM *Laura* (1944) Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb. Dir: Otto Preminger. Fox, 87 mins., Premiere #14

Best Director: Jean Negulesco

1:30 AM *The Mask Of Dimitrios* (1944) Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet, Zachary Scott. Dir: Jean Negulesco. WB, 96 mins.

Best Supporting Actor: Nils Asther

3:15 AM *Bluebeard* (1944) John Carradine, Jean Parker, Nils Asther. Dir: Edgar G. Ulmer. PRC, 70 mins., Public Domain

Best Supporting Actress: Agnes Moorehead

4:30 AM *Tomorrow The World* (1944) Fredric March, Betty Field, Agnes Moorehead. Dir: Leslie Fenton. Cowan Prods., 86 mins., P/S

Premieres:

*Act One* (1963)

*Alice in Wonderland* (1931)

*Alice in Wonderland* (1933)

*Caf? Metropole* (1937)

*The Crime of Monsieur Lange* (1936)

*The Day of the Triffids* (1962)

*Ellery Queen, Master Detective* (1940)

*Eyes of Laura Mars* (1978)

*The Godfather Part III* (1990)

*Laura* (1944)

*Les Mis?rables* (1958)

*Love at First Bite* (1979)

*Rhubarb* (1951)

*Something for the Birds* (1952)

Span:

1900s: 0

1910s: 1

1920s: 7

1930s: 26

1940s: 18

1950s: 17

1960s: 22

1970s: 6

1980s: 0

1990s: 2

2000s: 0

Edited by: SansFin on Feb 19, 2012 8:32 PM

SansFin's Program Notes

Bad Doc, No Biscuit

Mad doctors are a staple of classic movies. I believe I have chosen many of the best.

Account Deceivable

Embezzlers and embezzlement.

A Rabbit of Warrens

Most of these movies have been on my list of I-wish-to-schedule-these-movies since I began entering the Challenges. I noticed a common name in their listing. The theme came from that.

Faye Dunaway Birthday Tribute

I have always loved her performances. I doubt she will be a Star of the Month because her movies are new. I wished to show some of her best.

Cat as Cat Can

I like *Rhubarb* very much as a fine little comedy.

I would have chosed another movie with the title *The Black Cat* if I had not used all my Premieres for other things.

Star of the Month: George Hamilton

I have recently read his autobiography Don't Mind if I Do and I was impressed at the casual manner in which he drifted in and out of movies.

*Act One* is the biography of Moss Hart.

*Your Cheatin' Heart* is the biography of Hank Williams.

A Fowl Day

I believe it is only fair to give birds a day since I have given cats a day.

Audrey Hepburn has a pet canary in *Paris When It Sizzles* Its name is Richelieu because she wanted a cardinal.

There are ravens in *Sherlock Holmes Faces Death* and *Ellery Queen, Master Detective* and *The Raven*

There is a talking blackbird in *Find the Blackmailer*

Guest Programmer

I chose two of my favorite movies and two of my favorite exceptionally long movies because we are allowed only four movies and I needed to fill the entire evening.

There is an Elephant in the Room

The theme takes artistic liberty since there are few actual scenes with an elephant in a room in these movies.

Noah Beery Birthday Tribute

Noah Beery receives only a tiny part of the recognition which Noah Beery Jr. receives. I believe these are some of his best movies. I have ended his day with comedy.

A Fishy Story

Most of these are adventures. I have been able to end this day with comedy also.

Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.

It has long been known in the theater that drama can be learned and any person can die to great effect while comedy requires innate talent. These movies have both death and comedy.

Spineless Gits

I have covered many other animals. I thought I should give insects, plants and shapeless entities fair due.

The Should-Have-Been 1944 Oscars

I believe these are the finest works of the year.

Premieres:

*Act One* (1963)

*Alice in Wonderland* (1931)

*Alice in Wonderland* (1933)

*Cafe Metropole* (1937)

*The Crime of Monsieur Lange* (1936)

*The Day of the Triffids* (1962)

*Ellery Queen, Master Detective* (1940)

*Eyes of Laura Mars* (1978)

*The Godfather Part III* (1990)

*Laura* (1944)

*Les Miserables* (1958)

*Love at First Bite* (1979)

*Rhubarb* (1951)

*Something for the Birds* (1952)

Span:

1900s: 0

1910s: 1

1920s: 7

1930s: 26

1940s: 18

1950s: 17

1960s: 22

1970s: 6

1980s: 1

1990s: 2

2000s: 0

Edited by: SansFin on Feb 19, 2012 8:32 PM

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}Does filmlover have time to join us?

Hi, kingrat, sorry to be so late to the the thread, but, unfortunately, I can't take part this time. Have one or two ideas for a schedule but personal obligations are now taking up so much of my time. I am hoping to jump into the next one, though.

SANSFIN-

Love this schedule. You started out with a great one; THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI. George Hamilton is a fascinating SOTM. Love the movie with cats ending with TO CATCH A THIEF - brilliant. TOTORO is a fantastic movie. Totally agree with your 1944 Oscar choices. But my favorite part was "Dying is easy, comedy is hard". As a director of high school shows, let me tell you, it's true! Hilarious twist to show movies with both.

Whoa, there's an ALICE IN WONDERLAND with WC Fields and Gary Cooper? This I gotta see. And there's a French LES MIZ with Jean Gabin? TCM, please schedule them!

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> Love this schedule.

I thank you for your kind words.

> George Hamilton is a fascinating SOTM.

He is a fascinating actor. He built a career on his tan and easy nature. His real successes have been doing serious biographies. He is still highly regarded in the South for his portrayal of Hank Williams.

> Love the movie with cats ending with TO CATCH A THIEF - brilliant.

I was happy to include that movie as it has both human and feline cats. :)

> But my favorite part was "Dying is easy, comedy is hard". As a director of high school shows, let me tell you, it's true! Hilarious twist to show movies with both.

It is a thing I do not understand that dramas are considered more important when comedy requires much more work and talent. There is a scene in the movie: *Romantic Comedy* (1983) where a playwright explains that it take a lot of work to appear glib.

I thank you again for the kind words. I believe this is the most I have ever worked to create a schedule because I had no epiphany for an overall theme.

SansFin, I love your schedule. So many witty categories, like A Rabbit of Warrens and Spineless Gits. Great titles! TCM should follow up on some of these. A tribute to Faye Dunaway is fine with me.

You've included one French film I really want to see, *The Crime of M. Lange*, and one I saw again recently and admired even more, *Le Corbeau*.

Love your 1944 awards, especially the recognition of Jean Negulesco for *The Mask of Dimitrios*, which is brilliantly directed. Ida Lupino should have won at least a couple of Oscars.

Four great schedules, with more to come.

I thank you for your kind words.

It is possible that Capuchin will enter a schedule. I know he started sorting out movies for one. I do not have the passwords needed to see how far he is along with it.

I'd love for Capuchin to have a schedule for us. He always does a great job.

We are heading into the home stretch of the competition, which will end at midnight Pacific time Sunday, March 4. Can't wait to see what the rest of you come up with.

STAR OF THE MONTH: Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis (both individually and as a team)

Sunday August 12th

*** Dean Martin *** Star Of The Month

*** Peter Falk *** Summer Under The Stars

06:00 am It Ain't Hay (1943) b&w 80 minutes Abbott & Costello Universal D: Erle C. Kenton p#01

07:30 am Toys in The Attic (1963) b&w 90 minutes Dean Martin United Artists D: George Roy Hill p/s (4/1/12 @ 5:00am ET)

09:15 am Murderers Row (1966) color 108 minutes Dean Martin, Ann-Margret Columbia D: Henry Levin p/s

11:15 am Robin and The 7 Hoods (1964) color 123 minutes Dean Martin, Peter Falk Warner Bros. D: Gordon Douglas p/s

**** Peter Falk awarded the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor instead of George Chakiris for "West Side Story"

01:30 pm Pocketful of Miracles (1961) color 136 minutes Peter Falk, Glenn Ford United Artists D: Frank Capra p/s

04:00 pm The Great Race (1960) color 160 minutes Peter Falk, Tony Curtis Warner Bros. D: Blake Edwards p/s

06:45 pm Murder By Death (1976) color 94 minutes Peter Falk, Peter Sellers Columbia D: Robert Moore p/s

08:30 pm The Cheap Detective (1978) color 92 minutes Peter Falk, Ann-Margaret Columbia D: Robert Moore p/s

10:15 pm ...All The Marbles (1981) color 113 minutes Peter Falk, Burt Young MGM D: Robert Aldrich p#02

12:15 am Sally Of The Sawdust (1925) b&w 104 minutes W.C. Fields D.W. Griffith Productions D: D.W. Griffith exempt

02:00 am Wings Of Desire (1987) b&w 128 minutes Peter Falk Argos Films D: Wim Wenders exempt

04:15 am What's Up Doc? (1972) color 94 minutes Barbara Striesand, Ryan O'Neal Warner Bros. D: Peter Bogdanovich p#03

Monday August 13th

*** Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis *** Star Of The Month

*** Janet Leigh *** Summer Under The Stars

06:00 am Living It Up (1954) color 95 minutes Martin & Lewis, Janet Leigh Paramount D: Norman Taurog p/s

07:45 am The Caddy (1953) b&w 95 minutes Martin & Lewis, Donna Reed Paramount D: Norman Taurog p/s

09:30 am Sailor Beware (1952) b&w 108 minutes Martin & Lewis Paramount D: Hal Walker p/s

11:30 am At War With The Army (1950) b&w 93 minutes Martin & Lewis Paramount D: Hal Walker p/s

01:15 pm Who Was That Lady? (1960) b&w 116 minutes Dean Martin, Janet Leigh, Tony Curtis Columbia D: George Sidney p/s

03:15 pm Three On A Couch (1966) color 109 minutes Jerry Lewis, Janet Leigh Columbia D: Jerry Lewis p/s

05:15 pm Fearless Fagan (1952) b&w 79 minutes Janet Leigh MGM D: Stanley Donen p/s

06:45 pm The Perfect Furlough (1958) color 93 minutes Janet Leigh, Tony Curtis Universal D: Blake Edwards p#04

08:30 pm The Romance Of Rosy Ridge (1947) b&w 105 minutes Janet Leigh, Van Johnson MGM D: Roy Rowland p/s

10:30 pm My Sister Eileen (1955) color 108 minutes Janet Leigh, Jack Lemmon Columbia D: Richard Quine p/s

**** Johnny Green awarded the oscar for Best Music, Scoring of Music, Adaptation or Treatment instead of Andre Previn for "Irma La Douce"

12:30 am Bye-Bye Birdie (1963) color 112 minutes Janet Leigh, Ann-Margret Columbia D: George Sidney p/s

02:30 am The Doctor And The Girl (1949) b&w 98 minutes Janet Leigh, Glenn Ford MGM D: Curtis Bernhardt p/s

04:15 am The Grass Is Greener (1960) color 104 minutes Cary Grant, Robert Mitchum Universal D: Stanley Donen p/s

Tuesday August 14th

*** Jerry Lewis *** Star Of The Month

*** Robert DeNiro *** Summer Under The Stars

06:00 am Hook, Line And Sinker (1969) color 92 minutes Jerry Lewis, Peter Lawford D: George Marshall p/s

07:45 am Don't Raise The Bridge, Lower The River (1968) color 99 minutes Jerry Lewis, Terry Thomas Columbia D: Jerry Paris p/s (3/16/12 @ 2:00 pm ET)

09:30 am The King Of Comedy (1983) color 109 minutes Jerry Lewis, Robert DeNiro 20th Century Fox D; Martin Scorsese p/s

11:30 am The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971) color 96 minutes Robert DeNiro, Jerry Orbach MGM D: James Goldstone p/s

01:15 pm Mean Streets (1973) color 112 minutes Robert Deniro, Harvey Keitel Warner Bros. D: Martin Scorsese p/s

03:15 pm Taxi Driver (1976) color 113 minutes Robert DeNiro, Jodie Foster Columbia D: Martin Scorsese p/s

05:15 pm Goodfellas (1990) color 146 minutes Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci Warner Bros. D: Martin Scorsese p/s

07:45 pm Heat (1995) color 170 minutes Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino Warner Bros. D: Michael Mann p/s

10:45 pm Bedtime Story (1964) color 99 minutes Marlon Brando, David Niven Universal D: Ralph Levy p/s

12:30 am Beaches (1988) color 123 minutes Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey Walt Disney Productions D: Garry Marshall p/s

02:45 am A League Of Their Own (1992) color 128 minutes Geena Davis, Tom Hanks Columbia D: Penny Marshall p/s

05:00 am Zotz! (1962) b&w 85 minutes Tom Poston, Julia Meade Columbia D: William Castle p/s

Wednesday August 15th

*** Kim Novak *** Summer Under The Stars

06:30 am Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed? (9163) color 103 minutes Dean Martin, Elizabeth Montgomery Paramount D: Daniel Mann p/s

08:15 am Kiss Me Stupid (1964) b&w 125 minutes Dean Martin, Kim Novak Mirisch Corporation D: Billy Wilder p/s

10:30 am Phffft (1954) b&w 88 minutes Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon Columbia D: Mark Robson p/s

12:00 pm Strangers When We Meet (1960) color 117 minutes Kim Novak, Kirk Douglas Columbia D: Richard Quine p/s

02:00 pm 5 Against The House (1955) b&w 84 minutes Kim Novak, Guy Madison Columbia D: phil Karlson p/s

03:30 pm The Great Bank Robbery (1969) color 98 minutes Kim Novak, Clint Walker Warner Bros. D: Hy Averback p#05

05:15 pm The Notorious Landlady (1962) b&w 123 minutes Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon Columbia D: Richard Quine p/s

07:30 pm Tales That Witness Madness (1973) color 90 minutes Kim Novak, Joan Collins Paramount D: Freddie Francis p#06

**** Gary Kurtz is awarded the Oscar for Best Picture instead of Charles H. Joffe for "Annie Hall"

**** George Lucas is awarded the Oscar for Best Director instead of Woody Allen for "Annie Hall"

**** George Lucas is awarded the Oscar for Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly For The Screen instead of Woody Allen, Marshall Brickman for "Annie Hall"

09:15 pm Star Wars IV A New Hope (1977) color 121 minutes Harrison Ford 20th Century Fox D: George Lucas p#07

**** Jack Warden is awarded the Oscar for Best Actor In A Supporting Role instead of Christopher Walken for "The Deer Hunter"

11:30 pm Heaven Can Wait (1978) color 101 minutes Jack Warden, Warren Beatty Paramount D: Warren Beatty, Buck Henry p/s

01:15 am Kid Dynamite (1943) b&w 66 minutes East Side Kids Monogram Pictures D: Wallace Fox p/s

02:30 am The Ghost Breakers (1940) b&w 85 minutes Bob Hope Paulette Goddard Paramount D: George Marshall p/s

04:00 am Harvey (1950) b&w 104 minutes Jimmy Stewart Universal D: Henry Koster p/s

Thursday August 16th

*** Stubby Kaye *** Summer Under The Stars

06:00 am Li'l Abner (1959) color 114 minutes Jerry Lewis, Stubby Kaye Paramount D: Melvin Frank p/s

08:00 am Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) color 104 minutes Stubby Kaye, Bob Haskins Touchstone D: Robert Zemekis p/s

09:45 am Guys and Dolls (1955) color 150 minutes Stubby Kaye, Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando MGM D: Joseph L. Mankiewicz p/s

12:30 pm Sweet Charity (1969) color 149 minutes Stubby Kaye, Shirley MacLaine Universal D: Bob Fosse p/s

03:15 pm Cat Ballou (1965) color 97 minutes Stubby Kaye, Jane Fonda Columbia D: Elliot Silverstein p/s

* Guest Programmer *

05:00 pm Mr. Destiny (1990) color 110 minutes Jim Belushi, Michael Caine Touchstone D: James Orr p#08

07:00 pm The Family Man (2000) color 125 minutes Nicolas Cage, Tea Leoni Universal D: Brett Ratner p#09

09:15 pm The Final Countdown (1980) color 103 minutes Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen United Artists D: Don Taylor p#10

11:15 pm Off Limits (1955) b&w 89 minutes Bob Hope, Mickey Rooney Paramount D: George Marshall p#11

01:00 am You Can't Run Away From It (1956) color 95 minutes Stubby Kaye, Jack Lemmon Columbia D: Dick Powell p/s

02:45 am Gildersleeve On Broadway (1943) b&w 65 Harold Peary RKO D: Gordon Douglas p/s (11/18/05)

**** Dustin Hoffman awarded the oscar for Best Actor instead of John Wayne for "True Grit"

04:00 am Midnight Cowboy (1969) color 113 minutes Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight United Artists D: John Schlesinger p/s

Friday August 17th

*** Tony Curtis *** Summer Under The Stars

06:00 am They Got Me Covered (1943) b&w 95 minutes Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour Samuel Goldwyn D: David Butler p/s (12/4/05)

07:45 am Boeing (707) Boeing (707) (1965) color 102 minutes Jerry Lewis, Tony Curtis Paramount D: John Rich p/s

09:45 am Francis (1950) b&w 91 minutes Tony Curtis, Donald O'Connor Universal D: Arthur Lubin p/s

11:30 am Captain Newman M.D. (1963) color 126 minutes Tony Curtis, Gregory Peck Universal D: David Miller p/s

01:45 pm Taras Bulba (1962) color 122 minutes Tony Curtis, Yul Brynner United Artists D: J. Lee Thompson p/s

04:00 pm Lepke (1975) color 110 minutes Tony Curtis Warner Bros. D: Menahem Golan p/s

06:00 pm Don't Make Waves (1967) color 97 minutes Tony Curtis, Claudia Cardinale MGM D: Alexander Mackendrick p/s

07:45 pm Beachhead (1954) color 90 minutes Tony Curtis, Kirk Douglas Universal D: Stuart Heisler p/s

09:30 pm How To Murder Your Wife (1965) color 118 minutes Jack Lemmon, Virna Lisi United Artists D: Richard Quine p/s

11:45 pm The Vikings (1958) color 116 minutes Tony Curtis, Kirk Douglas United Artists D: Richard Fleischer p/s

*** TCM UnderGround ***

02:00 am The Lord Of The Rings (1978) color 132 minutes Animation D: Ralph Bakshi exempt

04:15 am 1984 (1956) b&w 90 minutes Edmond O'Brien, Jan Sterling Columbia D: Michael Anderson p#12

Saturday August 18th

*** Judy Holliday *** Summer Under The Stars

06:00 am Who's Got The Action? (1962) color 93 minutes Dean Martin Lana Turner Paramount D: Daniel Mann p#13

07:45 am The Front Page (1974) color 105 minutes Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau Universal D: Billy Wilder p/s (7/24/05)

09:45 am International House (1933) b&w 65 minutes W.C. Fields, Burns & Allen Paramount D: Edward Sutherland p/s

11:00 am Blondie Takes A Vacation (1939) b&w 69 minutes Penny Singleton, Arthur Lake Columbia D: Frank R. Strayer p#14

12:15 pm Ma and Pa Kettle Go To Town (1950) 79 minutes Marjorie Main, Percy Kilbride Universal D: Charles Lamont p/s

01:45 pm Variety Time (1948) b&w 59 minutes Jack Paar RKO D: Hal Yates p/s (10/22/05) & 5/9/06)

02:45 pm Adams Rib (1949) b&w 101 minutes Judy Holliday, Tracy & Hepburn MGM D: George Cukor p/s

04:30 pm The Solid Gold Cadillac (1956) b&w 99 minutes Judy Holliday, Paul Douglas Columbia D: Richard Quine p/s

06:15 pm Full Of Life (1956) b&w 103 minutes Judy Holliday, Richard Conte Columbia D: Richard Quine p/s

*** TCM Essentials ***

08:00 pm Bells Are Ringing (1960) color 126 minutes Dean Martin, Judy Holliday MGM D: Vincente Minnelli p/s

10:30 pm The Marrying Kind (1952) b&w 92 minutes Judy Holliday, Aldo Ray Columbia D: George Cukor p/s

12:15 am It Should Happen To You (1954) b&w 86 minutes Judy Holliday, Jack Lemmon Columbia D: George Cukor p/s

01:45 am Born Yesterday (1950) b&w 103 minutes Judy Holliday, William Holden Columbia D: George Cukor p/s

03:30 am The Great Gildersleeve (1942) b&w 62 minutes Harold Peary RKO D: Gordon Douglas p/s (11/18/05)

04:45 am Straight Place and Show (1938) b&w 68 minutes Ritz Brothers 20th Century Fox D: David Butler p/s (9/4/05)

I chose a week in August that features "Summer Under The Stars" because it seemed the easiest theme. Just pick a star and showcase his/her movies for the day. My "Star Of The Month" is 'Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis'. Their body of work only consists of 17 films. 16 of those films, they were a significant part of the story. One (Road To Bali) they basically just had a cameo appearance. That leaves 4 films a week for 4 weeks. The remainder of the month Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis will alternate being featured and where appropriate they will introduce the featured 'Summer Under The Stars' star with a movie they shared credits.

To begin, Sunday August 12th Dean Martin will play the role of 'Star Of The Month' and Peter Falk will be the showcased 'Summer Under The Stars' star and "Robin And The 7 Hoods" will be the movie Dean Martin and Peter Falk shared. Also Peter Falk is the new Academy Award winner for Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Pocketful Of Miracles" replacing the former winner 'George Chakiris' for "West Side Story". Peter Falk will also be the star of my 'Foreign Import' from Germany "Wings Of Desire" (1987). Silent Sunday Night will be the 1925 silent classic "Sally Of The Sawdust" with the funniest W.C. Fields.

Monday August 13th, the comedy team of "Martin & Lewis" will assume the role of 'Star Of The Month' and Janet Leigh will be the featured 'Summer Under The Stars' star and she will receive an individual introduction from both Dean and Jerry. First from them as a team in "Living It Up" then Dean will share the credits with her in "Who Was That Lady?" then Jerry will share credits with her in "Three On A Couch". Johnny Green will be the new Academy Award winner for Best Music, Scoring Of Music, Adaptation or Scoring for "Bye-Bye Birdie" replacing Andre Previn for "Irma La Douce".

Tuesday August 14th Jerry Lewis will be Serving as "SOTM" and introducing Robert DeNiro as the "SUTS' star with "The King Of Comedy".

Wednesday August 15th Dean Martin will be taking over as "SOTM" and introducing "SUTS" star Kim Novak with "Kiss Me Stupid". Also Gary Kurtz will receive the Best Picture Academy Award for "Star Wars IV - A New Hope" replacing Charles H. Joffe for "Annie Hall". George Lucas will receive the Best Director Academy Award for "Star Wars IV - A New Hope" replacing Woody Allen for "Annie Hall" and George Lucas will receive the Academy Award for Best Writting, Screenplay Written Directly For The Screen instead of Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman for "Annie Hall". I'll admit "Annie Hall" is a good movie and Woody Allen is an incredible talent, but "Annie Hall" is no "Star Wars IV - A New Hope". Also Jack Warden will receive the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for "Heaven Can Wait" replacing Christopher Walken for "Deer Hunter".

Thursday August 16th Jerry Lewis is now "SOTM" and he introduces "SUTS" star Stubby Kaye with "Li'l Abner". Thursday evening I will serve as Guest Programmer and the four films I chose are:

Mr. Destiny (1990) with Jim Belushi and Michael Caine in a 'What would life be like if...?'

Family Man (2000) with Nicolas Cage and Tea Leoni in another 'What would life be like if...?'

The Final Countdown (1980) with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen in a 'What would todays world be like if...?'

Off Limits (1953) with Bob Hope and Mickey Rooney in a military comedy.

Also Dustin Hoffman is the new winner of the Best Actor Academy Award for his performance in "Midnight Cowboy" replacing John Wayne in "True Grit".

Friday August 17th Jerry Lewis is doing double work as "SOTM" again today but Tony Curtis is now the "SUTS" featured star and his introduction is Boeing (707) Boeing (707). My TCM UnderGround feature is the 1978 Ralph Bakshi animated version of the J.R.R. Tolkien classic "The Lord Of The Rings". As an added note, the movie after TCM's UnderGround feature could also be an excellent selection for TCM's UnderGround, The 1956 Edmond O'Brien, Jan Sterling, Michael Redgrave version of the George Orwell classic "1984".

Saturday August 18th has Dean Martin once again as "SOTM" and the "SUTS" star Judy Holliday. TCM Essentials is "Bells Are Ringing" and it features both the "SOTM" Dean Martin and the "SUTS" star Judy Holliday.

Star Of The Month: Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis (as a team and individually).

Theme: Summer Under The Stars

Sunday: Peter Falk

Monday: Janet Leigh

Tuesday: Robert DeNiro

Wednesday: Stubby Kaye

Thursday: Kim Novak

Friday: Tony Curtis

Saturday: Judy Holliday

Silent Sunday Night: Sally Of The Sawdust (1925)

Foreign import: Wings Of Desire

TCM UnderGround: The Lord Of The Rings (1978)

Guest Programmer selections:

Mr. Destiny (1990)

The Family Man (2000)

The Final Countdown (1980)

Off Limits (1955)

TCM Essentials: Bells Are Ringing (1960)

New Academy Award Winners:

Peter Falk Best Supporting Actor "Pocketful Of Miracles"

Johnny Green Best Music Scoring Of Music Adaptation or Scoring "Bye-Bye Birdie"

Gary Kurtz Best Picture "Star Wars IV - A New Hope"

George Lucas Best Director "Star Wars IV - A New Hope"

George Lucas Best Writting Screenplay Written Directly For The Screen "Star Wars IV - A New Hope"

Jack Warden Best Supporting Actor "Heaven Can Wait"

Dustin Hoffman Best Actor "Midnight Cowboy"

Premieres:

01. It Ain't Hay (1943)

02. ...All The Marbles (1981)

03. What's Up Doc? (1972)

04. The Perfect Furlough (1958)

05. The Great Bank Robbery (1969)

06. Tales That Witness Madness (1973)

07. Star Wars IV - A New Hope (1977)

08. Mr. Destiny (1990)

09. The Family Man (2000)

10. The Final Countdown (1980)

11. Off Limits (1955)

12. 1984 (1956)

13. Who's Got The Action (1962)

14. Blondie Takes A Vacation (1939)

Breakdown by dcade:

1920 - 01

1930 - 03

1940 - 10

1950 - 24

1960 - 28

1970 - 12

1980 - 06

1990 - 04

2000 - 01

The following titles when checked on TCMDb to see if there were 'articles' it showed there were none. I then checked old emails of TCM's schedules and upcoming schedules I found that these titles had previously aired on the date and time indicated.

Gildersleeve On Broadway (1943) Harold Peary (11/18/05 @ 9:45 am ET)

They Got Me Covered (1943) Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour (12/4/05 @ 10:15 pm ET)

The Front Page (1974) Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau (7/24/05 @ 3:00 am ET)

The Great Gildersleeve (1942) Harold Peary (11/18/05 @ 8:30 am ET)

Straight Place And Show (1938) Ritz Brothers (9/4/05 @ 1:15 am ET)

Variety Time (1948) Jack Paar (10/22/05 @ 5:00 am & 5/9/06 @ 2:30 pm ET)

The next 2 titles may or not have aired on TCM, but my schedule is set for August and by August these 2 movies will have aired on TCM.

Toys in The Attic (1963) Dean Martin (4/1/12 @ 5:00am ET) - This will air in April and my schedule is for August

Don't Raise The Bridge, Lower The River (1968) Jerry Lewis, Terry Thomas (3/16/12 @ 2:00 pm ET) - This will air in March and my schedule is for August

Timing is everything, and this challenge came at a bad time for me (I have a big deadline due March 9), so I was just going to skip it and not participate. But who could pass up such a delicious challenge as revising the Oscars? So here's a hastily put together schedule. I haven't had time to look at anyone else's schedule, and I won't be back on the boards until around March 9, but good luck to all. This challenge was really fun!

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}TCM Challenge February 2012{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}Academy Award Snubs, Sideswipes, Shoulda’s and Also-rans{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}Every movie in this schedule (except the TCM Underground feature) was mistreated somehow at Oscar time; many are snubs (no nominations at all); many others are sideswipes (almost a snub, but received one or two nominations); some are shoulda’s (where I think someone got robbed, and I say who “shoulda” gotten a nomination or award); and a couple of pictures, the also-rans, had significant nominations but won almost no awards. The movies are laid out chronologically based on year of release. My notes, provided separately, explain why every movie made the list.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}Silent Sunday – City Lights{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}TCM Import – M{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}Star of the Month – Thomas Mitchell{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}TCM Underground – Invasion of the Saucer Men{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}The Essential – Ride the High Country{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:} {font}{font:Calibri}Sunday, July 8: Academy Awards 1927-28 through 1930-1931{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:00am WINGS 1927 bw Clara Bow, Buddy Rogers, Harold Arlen William Wellman, dir, 141 min. Paramount p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8:30am SUNRISE: A SONG OF TWO HUMANS 1927 bw Janet Gaynor, George O’Brien, Margaret Livingston F.W.Murnau, dir 94 min. Fox p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}10:15am THE GENERAL 1927 bw Buster Keaton, Marion Mack Buster Keaton and Clyde Bruckman, dir. 107 min Keaton/Schenk Productions (United Artists) p/s{color:red}{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}12:15pm THE WIND 1928 bw Lillian Gish, Lars Hanson, Montagu Love Victor Sjostrom, dir. 79 min. MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:45pm THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC 1928 bw (French) Maria Falconetti, Eugene Silvain Carl Theodor Dreyer, dir. 114 min. Societe Generale des Films p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3:45pm PANDORA’S BOX 1929 bw Louise Brooks, Fritz Kortner G.W. Pabst, dir. 109 min. Nero-Film AG p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}5:45pm ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT 1930 bw Lew Ayers, Louis Wolheim, John Wray{font}{font:} Lewis Milestone, dir.{font}{font:Calibri} 133 min. Universal p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8pm THE PUBLIC ENEMY 1931 bw James Cagney, Jean Harlow, Edward Woods William Wellman, dir. 83 min. (plus wraps) Warner Bros. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:45pm THE BLUE ANGEL 1930 (released in USA in 1931), bw Marlene Dietrich, Emil Jannings Josef von Sternberg, dir. 107 min. (plus wraps) Paramount p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:45pm *Silent Sunday* CITY LIGHTS 1931, bw Charlie Chaplin, Virginia Cherrill Charlie Chaplin, dir. 87 min. (plus wraps) United Artists p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:30am *TCM Import* M 1931, bw (German) Peter Lorre, Inge Landgut Fritz Lang, dir. 111 min. (plus wraps) Nero Films p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3:30am LITTLE CAESAR 1931, bw Edward G. Robinson, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Glenda Farrell Mervyn LeRoy, dir. 80 min. First National Pictures p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}5:00am FRANKENSTEIN 1931 bw Colin Clive, Boris Karloff, Mae Clarke James Whale, dir. 70 min. Universal p/s{font}

{font:Calibri}Monday, July 9: Academy Awards 1931-32 through 1938{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:15am SCARFACE 1932 bw Paul Muni, Ann Dvorak Howard Hawks, dir. 90 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}7:45am TROUBLE IN PARADISE 1932 bw Miriam Hopkins, Kay Francis, Herbert Marshall Ernst Lubitsch, dir. 81 min. Paramount p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:15am DINNER AT EIGHT 1933, bw Marie Dressler, John Barrymore George Cukor, dir. 111 min. MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:15am QUEEN CHRISTINA 1933 bw Greta Garbo, John Gilbert Rouben Mamoulian, dir. 97 min. MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:00pm TWENTIETH CENTURY 1934 bw John Barrymore, Carole Lombard Howard Hawks, dir. (91 min. Columbia p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}2:45pm THE THIN MAN 1934, bw, William Powell, Myrna Loy; W. S. Van Dyke, dir. 91 min; MGM {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:30pm THE 39 STEPS 1935, bw Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 87 min. Gaumont British Films p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:00pm A NIGHT AT THE OPERA 1935 bw Groucho, Chico and Harpo Marx Sam Wood, dir. 90 min. MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}7:30 NOW PLAYING{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8 pm MY MAN GODFREY 1936 bw William Powell, Carole Lombard Gregory La Cava, dir. 95 min. (plus wraps) Universal p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:45pm LIBELED LADY 1936 bw Jean Harlow, William Powell, Myrna Loy Jack Conway, dir. 98 min. (plus wraps) MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:30pm SWING TIME 1936 bw Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers George Stevens, dir. 103 min. (plus wraps) RKO {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:30am MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW 1937 bw Victor Moore, Beulah Bondi Leo McCary, dir. 92 min. (plus wraps) Paramount p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3:15am THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, 1938, c, Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHavilland; Michael Curtiz and William Keighley, Dir. 102 min. Warner Brothers p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri} 5:00am THE LADY VANISHES 1938 bw Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 96 min. Gaumont/Fox p/s{font}

{font:Calibri}Tuesday, July 10: Academy Awards 1939 {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:45am MIDNIGHT 1939 bw Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche Mitchell Leisen, dir. 94 min. Paramount p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8:30amTHE WOMEN 1939 bw/c Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell; George Cukor, dir. 133 min. MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}10:45am NINOTCHKA 1939 bw Greta Garbo Melvyn Douglas Ernst Lubitsch, dir. 110 min. MGM {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}12:45pm YOUNG MR. LINCOLN bw Henry Fonda, Alice Brady John Ford, dir. 101 min. Fox p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}2:30pm WUTHERING HEIGHTS 1939 Laurence Olivier, Merle Oberon William Wyler, dir. 103 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:15pm THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 1939 bw Richard Greene, Basil Rathbone Sidney Lanfield, dir. 78 min. Fox p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}5:45pm GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS 1939 bw Robert Donat, Greer Garson Sam Wood, dir. 114 min. MGM {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}*Star of the Month, Thomas Mitchell* (whose birthday is July 11, when the last half of these four movies are shown){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8:00pm STAGECOACH 1939 bw Claire Trevor, John Wayne, Thomas Mitchell John Ford, dir. 96 min. (plus wraps) UA p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:45pm THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME 1939 bw Charles Laughton, Thomas Mitchell William Dieterle, dir. 117 min. (plus wraps) RKO{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:45pm MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON 1939 bw Jean Arthur, James Stewart, Thomas Mitchell Frank Capra, dir. 130 min. (plus wraps) Columbia p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}2:00am July 11 ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS 1939 bw Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Thomas Mitchell Howard Hawks, dir. 121 min. (plus wraps) Columbia p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:15am OF MICE AND MEN 1939 bw Burgess Meredith, Lon Chaney, Jr. Lewis Milestone, dir. 104 min. UA, p/s{font}

{font:Calibri} {font}{font:Calibri}Wednesday, July 11: Academy Awards 1940 – 1946{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6 am HIS GIRL FRIDAY 1940 bw Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell Howard Hawks, Dir. 92 min. Columbia p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}7:45am THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER 1940 bw Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart Ernst Lubitsch, dir. 100 min. MGM {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:30am THE MALTESE FALCON 1941 bw Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor John Huston, dir. 100 min. WB {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:15am CITIZEN KANE 1941 bw Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton Orson Welles, dir. 119 min. RKO {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:15pm TO BE OR NOT TO BE 1042 bw Carole Lombard, Jack Benny Ernst Lubitsch, dir. 100 min. UA p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3:00pm SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS 1942 bw Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake Preston Sturges, dir. 90 min. Paramount p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:30pm THE OX-BOW INCIDENT 1943 bw Henry Fonda, Dana Andrews William Wellman, dir. 75 min. Fox p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}5:45pm SHADOW OF A DOUBT 1943 bw Teresa Wright, Joseph Cotton Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 108 min. Universal, p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8pmMEET ME IN ST. LOUIS 1944 c, Judy Garland, Margaret O’Brien; Vincente Minelli, dir. 113 min. (plus wraps) MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}10pm DOUBLE INDEMNITY 1944 bw Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson Billy Wilder, dir. 106 minutes (plus wraps) Paramount p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}12am THEY WERE EXPENDABLE 1945 bw Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, Donna Reed John Ford, dir. 135 min. (plus wraps) MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}2:30am BRIEF ENCOUNTER bw 1945 (USA-1946) Celia Johnson, Trevor Howard David Lean, dir. 86 minutes (plus wraps) Cineguild p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:15am NOTORIOUS 1946 bw Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 103 min RKO{font}

{font:Calibri}Thursday, July 12: Academy Awards 1947 – 1952{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:00am OUT OF THE PAST 1947 bw Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas Jacques Tourneur, dir. 97 min. RKO {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}7:45am CROSSFIRE 1947 bw Robert Montgomery, Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan Edward Dmytryk, dir. 86 min. RKO {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:15am EASTER PARADE 1948 c Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Ann Miller Charles Walters, dir. 103 min. MGM {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:00am RED RIVER 1948 bw John Wayne, Montgomery Clift Howard Hawks, dir. 126 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:15pm WHITE HEAT 1949 bw James Cagney, Virginia Mayo, Edmond O’Brien Raoul Walsh, dir. 115 min WB p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3:15pm WINCHESTER ’73 1950 bw James Stewart, Shelley Winters Anthony Mann, dir. 92 min. Universal p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}5:00pm THE MEN 1950 bw Marlon Brando, Teresa Wright Fred Zinnemann, dir. 86 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:30pm THE GUNFIGHTER 1950 bw Gregory Peck, Helen Westcott Henry King, dir. 84 min. Fox PREMIERE {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8pm STRANGERS ON A TRAIN 1951 bw Farley Granger, Ruth Roman, Robert Walker Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 101 min. (plus wraps) WB p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}10:00pmA CHRISTMAS CAROL, 1951, bw, Alastair Sim, Mervyn Johns; Brian Desmond-Hurst, dir. 86 min. (plus wraps) George Minter Productions/United Artists, p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:45pm THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL 1951 bw Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal Robert Wise, dir. 92 min. (plus wraps) Fox p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:30am SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN 1952 c Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor, Debbie Reynolds Gene Kelly, Stanley Donen, dirs. 103 min. (plus wraps) MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3:30amTHE QUIET MAN, 1952, c, John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara; John Ford, dir. 129 min. (plus wraps){font}{font:Calibri}Republic Pictures p/s{font}

{font:Calibri}Friday, July 13: Academy Awards 1953 – 1957{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6am PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET 1953 bw Richard Widmark, Jean Peters, Thelma Ritter Samuel Fuller, dir. 83 min. Fox p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}7:30amSHANE, 1953, c, Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin; George Stevens, dir. 118 min, Paramount, p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:30am REAR WINDOW 1954 c James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 112 min. Paramount p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:30amA STAR IS BORN, 1954, c, Judy Garland, James Mason; George Cukor, dir. 176 min. Warner Brothers, p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}2:30pm NIGHT OF THE HUNTER 1955 bw Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish Charles Laughton, dir. 93 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:15pm KISS ME DEADLY 1955 bw Ralph Meeker, Albert Dekker Robert Aldritch, dir. 105 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:00pm PICNIC 1955 c William Holden, Kim Novak Joshua Logan, dir. 115 min. Columbia p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8pmTHE SEARCHERS, 1956, c, John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Vera Miles; John Ford, dir. 119 min. (plus wraps) WB p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}10:15pmTHE KILLING, 1956, bw, Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray; Stanley Kubrick, dir. 85 min. (plus wraps) MGM/United Artists, p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}11:45pm BUS STOP 1956 c Marilyn Monroe, Don Murray Joshua Logan, dir. 96 min. (plus wraps) Fox p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}1:30am INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS 1956 bw Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter Don Siegel, dir. 80 min. (plus wraps) Allied Artists p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3:00am *TCM Underground* INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN 1957 bw Steve Terrell Gloria Castillo Edward L. Cahn, dir 70 min. American International Pictures EXEMPT {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:15am PATHS OF GLORY 1957 bw Kirk Douglas, Adolphe Menjou Stanley Kubrick, dir. 90 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Calibri}Saturday, July 14: Academy Awards 1958 – 1964{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}*{font:Calibri}Saturday morning – Mysteries by the Master{font}*

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}5:45am VERTIGO 1958 c James Stewart, Kim Novak Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 128 min. Paramount p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8am NORTH BY NORTHWEST 1959 c Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 136 min. MGM {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}10:30am PSYCHO 1960 bw Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles Alfred Hitchcock, dir. 109 min. Paramount p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}12:30pm EXODUS 1960 c Paul Newman, Eva Marie Saint, Sal Mineo Otto Preminger, dir. 212 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}4:15pm WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND 1962 bw Hayley Mills, Bernard Lee, Alan Bates Bryan Forbes, dir. 98 min. Allied Film Makers (UK) PREMIERE {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}6:00pm ONE, TWO, THREE 1961 bw James Cagney, Horst Buchholz Billy Wilder, dir. 108 min. UA p/s {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}8:00pm *The Essentials* RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY 1962 c Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea Sam Peckinpah, dir. 94 min. (plus wraps) MGM{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}9:45pm THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE 1962 bw James Stewart, John Wayne John Ford, dir. 122 min. (plus wraps) Paramount p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}12 am THE GREAT ESCAPE 1963 c Steve McQueen, James Garner John Sturges, dir. 168 min. (plus wraps) UA p/s{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}3am BECKET 1964 c Richard Burton, Peter O’Toole Peter Glenville, dir. 165 minutes (plus wraps) Paramount p/s{font}

Here are the notesfor my schedule.

{font:Calibri}TCM Challenge February 2012 - NOTES{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}Academy Award Snubs, Sideswipes, Shoulda’s and the Rare Also-ran{font}

{font:Calibri}Sunday, July 8: {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}WINGS – Won Best Picture (Production); William Wellman shoulda been nominated for Best Director{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}SUNRISE – Won Best Picture (Production – Artistic); F. W. Murnau shoulda been nominated for Best Director{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE GENERAL – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE WIND – no nominations. Lillian Gish shoulda been nominated and won Best Actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (French) – no nominations. Carl Theodor Dreyer shoulda been nominated as Best Director.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}PANDORA’S BOX – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT – nominated for best picture; no actors nominated{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE PUBLIC ENEMY – one nomination (screenplay); James Cagney shoulda been nominated as best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE BLUE ANGEL – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}CITY LIGHTS – no nominations. Chaplin shoulda been nominated and won Best Director.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}M – no nominations; Fritz Lang shoulda been nominated as Best Director.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}LITTLE CAESAR – one nomination (screenplay); Edward G. Robinson shoulda been nominated for best actor. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}FRANKENSTEIN – no nominations; Colin Clive and Boris Karloff both shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Calibri}Monday, July 9: {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}SCARFACE – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}TROUBLE IN PARADISE – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}DINNER AT EIGHT – no nominations. John Barrymore shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}QUEEN CHRISTINA – no nominations. Garbo shoulda been nominated and won best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}TWENTIETH CENTURY – no nominations. John Barrymore shoulda been nominated and won best actor Oscar (tied with Gable).{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE THIN MAN – Received several nominations, but Myrna Loy, who was never nominated for an Oscar in her career, shoulda been nominated and won best actor Oscar (tied with Colbert).{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE 39 STEPS – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}A NIGHT AT THE OPERA – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}MY MAN GODFREY – many nominations, including Carole Lombard, who shoulda won best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}LIBELED LADY – one nomination (Best Picture); Jean Harlow (never nominated for an Oscar in her short career) shoulda been nominated for best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}SWING TIME – one nomination (best song).{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD – several nominations, but Errol Flynn, who was never nominated for an Oscar in his career, shoulda won best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE LADY VANISHES – no nominations {font}

{font:Calibri}Tuesday, July 10: {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}MIDNIGHT – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE WOMEN – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}NINOTCHKA – three nominations; Ernst Lubitsch, who was NOT nominated, shoulda won best director.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}YOUNG MR. LINCOLN – one nomination (screenplay); Henry Fonda shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}WUTHERING HEIGHTS – many nominations, but none for Merle Oberon, who shoulda been nominated for best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS – six nominations, only one win.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}STAGECOACH – seven nominations, but none for John Wayne, who shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME – two nominations (score and sound); Charles Laughton (not nominated) shoulda tied for best actor with Donat.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON – many nominations, but none for Jean Arthur, who was never nominated for an Oscar in her career, and who shoulda been nominated for best actress in this role.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS – two nominations (visual effects and cinematography){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}OF MICE AND MEN – three nominations, including best picture, but no nominations for actors; Lon Chaney, Jr. shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Calibri}Wednesday, July 11: {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}HIS GIRL FRIDAY – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE MALTESE FALCON – three nominations, including screenplay, which shoulda won the Oscar; also, Mary Astor, who won Best Supporting Actress for The Great Lie, shoulda been nominated and won for the Maltese Falcon, instead; and Peter Lorre, who was never nominated for an Oscar in his career, shoulda been nominated for best supporting actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}CITIZEN KANE – nine nominations, including best actor, director, picture; only one win (screenplay); shoulda won best picture. Also, Greg Toland’s cinematography, not even nominated, should have been nominated and won the Oscar.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}TO BE OR NOT TO BE – one nomination(score); Jack Benny shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS – no nominations; Joel McCrea, who was never nominated for an Oscar in his career, shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE OX-BOW INCIDENT – one nomination (best picture); Henry Fonda shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}SHADOW OF A DOUBT – one nomination (Original Screenplay). Joseph Cotten shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS – nominations for Cinematography, Screenplay, Score, and Song.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}DOUBLE INDEMNITY – seven nominations, including best picture, director, actress, screenplay; no wins; shoulda won Best Picture and Barbara Stanwyck shoulda won best actress; also, Fred MacMurray, who was never nominated for an Oscar in his career, shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THEY WERE EXPENDABLE – nominations for sound and special effects{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}BRIEF ENCOUNTER – three nominations (actress, director, screenplay), no wins; Celia Johnson shoulda won best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}NOTORIOUS – two nominations (Claude Rains and screenplay), no wins; Cary Grant shoulda been nominated and won best actor; Claude Rains shoulda tied for best supporting actor; Hitchcock shoulda been nominated for best director.{font}

{font:Calibri}Thursday, July 12: {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}OUT OF THE PAST – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}CROSSFIRE – five nominations, including Robert Ryan, who shoulda tied for the Oscar as Best Supporting Actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}EASTER PARADE – one nomination, for best score (it won); Ann Miller shoulda been nominated for best supporting actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}RED RIVER – two nominations, screenplay and editing {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}WHITE HEAT – one nomination (screenplay) {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}WINCHESTER ’73 – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE MEN – one nomination (screenplay); Brando shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE GUNFIGHTER – one nomination (screenplay); Peck shoulda been nominated for best actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}STRANGERS ON A TRAIN – one nomination (cinematography){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN – two nominations (score and supporting actress Jean Hagen); not even nominated, but shoulda won best picture; Donald O’Conner, not nominated, shoulda won best supporting actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE QUIET MAN – seven nominations, including best picture, director and screenplay. John Wayne was not nominated but he shoulda been nominated and won best actor and Maureen O’Hara, who was never nominated for an Oscar in her career, shoulda been nominated and won best actress.{font}

{font:Calibri}Friday, July 13: {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET –Thelma Ritter, the movie’s only Oscar nominee, shoulda won best supporting actress. Thelma Ritter is tied with Deborah Kerr as the woman having been nominated the most times for an Oscar (six times) without ever winning.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}SHANE – five nominations and one win (cinematography); Alan Ladd shoulda been nominated for best actor and Jean Arthur shoulda been nominated for best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}REAR WINDOW – four nominations (no wins) but no nominations for Stewart, Kelly or Ritter.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}A STAR IS BORN – eight nominations, no wins; Judy Garland, who was nominated, shoulda won best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}NIGHT OF THE HUNTER – no nominations; they were deserved for Laughton, Mitchum and Gish.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}KISS ME DEADLY – no nominations; one was deserved by Aldritch.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}PICNIC – six nominations, including best picture, but no nominations for Holden, Novak or Roz Russell.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE SEARCHERS – no nominations; movie (not nominated) shoulda won best picture; Ward Bond (not nominated) shoulda won best supporting actor; Winton Hoch (not nominated) shoulda won for cinematography.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE KILLING – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}BUS STOP – one nomination (supporting actor); Marilyn Monroe shoulda been nominated for best actress.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS – no nominations {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}TCM Underground – INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}PATHS OF GLORY – no nominations {font}

{font:Calibri}Saturday, July 14: {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}VERTIGO – two nominations (sound and art direction /set decoration){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}NORTH BY NORTHWEST – three nominations (screenplay, editing, art direction){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}PSYCHO – four nominations, no wins (director, art direction, cinematography, supporting actress); Anthony Perkins shoulda been nominated for best actor; picture shoulda been nominated for best picture.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}EXODUS – three nominations (cinematography, supporting actor, music); only music won. Sal Mineo shoulda won best supporting actor.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}ONE, TWO, THREE – one nomination (b/w cinematography){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY – no nominations{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE – one nomination (costume design){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}THE GREAT ESCAPE – one nomination (editing){font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}BECKET – twelve nominations, including best picture, director and actor, but only won for screenplay. Richard Burton, who was nominated, should have won best actor. Richard Burton was nominated for seven Oscars and never won.{font}

{font:Calibri}That’s my week of Oscar snubs, sideswipes, shoulda’s and also-rans. Isn’t hindsight wonderful?{font}

{font:Calibri} {font}

{font:Calibri} {font}

Sunny-

Not only does the entire world agree with your Oscar choices, but you scheduled tons of movies I absolutely love, including one I've always wanted to see, Whistle Down the Wind. If this was a real schedule I would plant myself in front of the TV for the entire week and not leave. Plus-- SOTM Thomas Mitchell is an absolute inspiration. He is one of the best character actors that ever graced the screen. Awesome schedule.

Here comes my schedule- FINALLY!

I don't know about everyone else, but my schedule took me about six hours to make! I hope you all like it!

And, just to warn all of you 1960s movie lovers, I only have one movie that was made after 1959. About 3/4 of my movies are from the best decade for movies- the 1930s. I also have a lot for the 1920s. I've noticed MANY 1950s movies on TCM, and not so many 1930s and earlier movies. So, here we go!

Sunday, April 1st

6:00 am (1934). *Fog Over Frisco.* BW-68 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Donald Woods, Margaret Lindsay. D: William Dieterle. p/s.

7:15 am (1938). *Topper Takes A Trip.* BW-80 min. United Artists. Constance Bennett, Roland Young, Billie Burke. D: Norman Z. McLeod. p/s.

8:45 am (1938). *I Am The Law.* BW-83 min. Columbia. Edward G. Robinson. D: Alexander Hall. p/s.

10:15 am (1938). *Bringing Up Baby.* BW-102 min. RKO. Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Charles Ruggles. D: Howard Hawks. p/s.

12:00 pm (1937). *The Awful Truth.* BW-90 min. Columbia. Irene Dunne, Cary Grant. D: Leo McCarey. p/s.

1:30 pm (1936). *After The Thin* *Man.* BW-113 min. MGM. William Powell, Myrna Loy, James Stewart. D: W.S. Van Dyke. p/s.

3:30 pm (1934). *The Thin* *Man.* BW-93 min. MGM. William Powell, Myrna Loy. D: W.S. Van Dyke. p/s.

5:15 pm (1935). *The Lottery Lover.* BW-82 min. Fox. Lew Ayres, Pat Patterson. D: Wilhelm Thiele. p/s.

6:45 pm (1935). *It's A Small World.* BW-70 min. Fox. Spencer Tracy, Wendy Barrie, Raymond Walburn. D: Irving Cummings. p/s.

8:00 pm (1920). *The Penalty.* BW-90 min. Goldwyn. Charles Clary, Doris Pawn, Lon Chaney. D: Wallace Worsley. p/s.

9:30 pm (1923). *The Hunchback of Notre Dame.* BW-100 min. Universal. Lon Chaney, Patsy Ruth Miller, Norman Kerry. D: Wallace Worsley. p/s.

11:15 pm (1924). *He Who Gets Slapped.* BW-71 min. MGM. Lon Chaney, Norma Shearer, John Gilbert. D: Victory Sjostrom. p/s.

12:30 am (1919). *When The Clouds Roll By.* BW-50 min. United Artists. Douglas Fairbanks. D: Victor Fleming. E.

1:30 am (1924). *L'Inhumane.* BW-135 min. Cinegraphic. Georgette Leblanc, Jaqu Catelain, Philippe Heriat. D: Marcel L'Herbier. E.

3:45 am (1925). *The Phantom of the Opera.* BW-107 min. Universal. Lon Chaney, Mary Philbin. D: Rupert Julian. p/s.

Monday, April 2nd

5:45 am (1934). *The Man Who Knew Too Much*. BW-75 min. Gaumont British Distributors Ltd. Leslie Banks, Edna Best, Peter Lorre. D: Alfred Hitchcock. p/s.

7:00 am (1941). *Suspicion*. BW-99 min. RKO. Joan Fontaine, Cary Grant, Sir Cedric Hardwicke. D: Alfred Hitchcock. p/s.

8:45 am (1943). *Shadow of a Doubt*. BW-108 min. Universal Pictures. Joseph Cotton, Macdonald Carey, Patricia Collinge. D: Alfred Hitchcock. p/s.

10:33 am (1929). *St. Louis* *Blues*. BW-16 min. Paramount. Bessie Smith. D: Dudley Murphy. Premiere #1.

11:00 am (1946). *Notorious*. BW-101 min. RKO. Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains. D: Alfred Hitchcock. p/s.

12:45 pm (1948). *Rope*. BW-80 min. Warner Bros. James Stewart, John Dall, Farley Granger. D: Alfred Hitchcock. p/s.

2:15 pm (1936). *Secret Agent*. BW-86 min. Gaumont British Distributors Ltd. John Gielgud, Peter Lorre, Robert Young. D: Alfred Hitchcock. Premiere #2.

3:45 pm (1940). *Rebecca*. BW-130 min. United Artists. Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson. D: Alfred Hitchcock. p/s.

6:00 pm (1940). *Foreign Correspondent*. BW-120 min. United Artists. Joel McCrea, Herbert Marshall, George Sanders. D: Alfred Hitchcock. p/s.

8:00 pm (1927). *Jazz Singer*. BW-89 min. Warner Bros. Al Jolson, May McAvoy, Warner Oland. D: Alan Crosland. p/s.

9:30 pm (1929). *Broadway Melody*. BW-110 min. MGM. Charles King, Anita Page, Bessie Love. D: Harry Beaumont. p/s.

11:30 pm (1929). *Love Parade*. BW-107 min. Paramount. Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, Lillian Roth. D: Ernst Lubitsch. p/s.

1:30 am (1929). *Applause*. BW-80 min. Paramount. Helen Morgan, Joan Peers. D: Rouben Mamoulian. Premiere #3.

3:00 am (1928). *Lights of* *New York*. BW-57 min. Warner Bros. Helene Costello, Cullen Landis, Eugene Pallette. D: Bryan Foy. Premiere #4.

4:00 am (1929). *Rio* *Rita*. BW-127 min. RKO. Bebe Daniels, John Boles, Bert Wheeler. D: Luther Reed. Premiere #5.

Tuesday, April 3rd

6:15 am (1932). *Grand Hotel*. BW-112 min. MGM. Greta Garbo, John Barrymore, Joan Crawford. D: Edmund Goulding. p/s.

8:15 am (1933). *Female*. BW-60 min. Warner Bros. Ruth Chatterton, George Brent. D: Michael Curtiz. p/s.

9:30 am (1936). *Swing Time*. BW-103 min. RKO. Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. D: George Stevens. p/s.

11:15 am (1935). *Star of* *Midnight*. BW-90 min. RKO. Ginger Rogers, William Powell. D: Stephen Roberts. p/s.

1:00 pm (1933). *Design for Living*. BW-91 min. Paramount. Fredric March, Gary Cooper, Miriam Hopkins. D: Ernst Lubitsch. p/s.

2:45 pm (1934). *The Gay Divorcee*. BW-107 min. RKO. Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. D: Mark Sandrich. p/s.

4:45 pm (1932). *Trouble in* *Paradise*. BW-83 min. Paramount. Miriam Hopkins, Kay Francis, Herbert Marshall. D: Ernst Lubitsch. p/s.

6:15 pm (1933). *Rafter Romance*. BW-72 min. RKO. Ginger Rogers, Norman Foster. D: William A. Seiter. p/s.

7:30 pm (2012). *Now Playing: February*. Color-30 min. p/s.

8:00 pm (1934). *Of Human Bondage*. BW-83 min. RKO. Bette Davis, Leslie Howard, Frances Dee. D: John Cromwell. p/s.

9:30 pm (1933). *Gold Diggers Of 1933*. BW-96 min. Warner Bros. Joan Blondell, Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler. D: Mervyn LeRoy. p/s.

11:15 pm (1931). *Dracula*. BW-75 min. Universal Pictures. Bela Lugosi, Helen Chandler, Dwight Frye. D: Tod Browning. p/s.

12:30 am (1933). *Footlight Parade*. BW-104 min. Warner Bros. James Cagney, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s.

2:15 am (1938). *Broadway Melody of 1938*. BW-110 min. MGM. Robert Taylor, Eleanor Powell. D: Roy Del Ruth. p/s.

4:15 am (1961). *Breakfast at Tiffany's*. Color-115 min. Paramount. Audrey Hepburn, Buddy Ebsen, Mickey Rooney. D: Blake Edwards. p/s.

Wednesday, April 4th

6:15 am (1924). *Wanderer of the Wasteland*. Color-60 min. Paramount. Jack Holt, Noah Beery, Billie Dove. D: Irvin Willat. Premiere #6.

7:15 am (1926). *The Black Pirate*. Color-94 min. United Artists. Douglas Fairbanks, Billie Dove, Donald Crisp. D: Albert Parker. p/s.

9:00 am (1916). *Joan the Woman*. Color-140 min. Paramount. Geraldine Farrar. D: Cecil B. DeMille. Premiere #7.

11:30 am (1922). *The Toll of the Sea*. Color-53 min. Metro Pictures. Anna May Wong, Kenneth Harlan, Beatrice Bentley. D: Chester M. Franklin. p/s.

12:30 pm (1933). *Mystery of the Wax Museum*. Color-77 min. Warner Bros. Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Glenda Farrel. D: Michael Curtiz. p/s.

2:00 pm (1932). *Doctor X*. Color-76 min. First National Pictures. Lee Tracy, Fay Wray, Lionel Atwill. D: Michael Curtiz. p/s.

3:30 pm (1930). *The Cuckoos*. Color-97 min. RKO. Bert Wheeler, Robert Woolsey, Dorothy Lee. D: Paul Sloane. p/s.

5:15 pm (1930). *The Lottery Bride*. Color-80 min. United Artists. Jeanette MacDonald, Zasu Pitts, John Garrick. D: Paul L. Stein. p/s.

6:45 pm (1930). *The Floradora Girl*. Color-79 min. MGM. Marion Davies, Lawrence Gray. D: Harry Beaumont. p/s.

8:15 pm (1936). *Romeo and Juliet*. BW-125 min. MGM. Leslie Howard, Norma Shearer. D: George Cukor. p/s.

10:30 pm (1939). *Gone with the Wind*. Color-238 min. MGM. Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Leslie Howard. D: Victor Fleming. p/s.

2:30 am (1931). *A Free Soul*. BW-91 min. MGM. Norma Shearer, Leslie Howard, Clark Gable. D: Clarence Brown. p/s.

4:15 am (1932). *Smilin' Through*. BW-98 min. MGM. Norma Shearer, Fredric March, Leslie Howard. D: Sidney Franklin. p/s.

Thursday, April 5th

6:00 am (1932). *The Man Who Played God*. BW-80 min. Warner Bros. George Arliss, Bette Davis, Louis Closser Hale. D: John G. Adolfi. p/s.

7:30 am (1932). *So Big!*. BW-81 min. Warner Bros. Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent, Bette Davis. D: William A. Wellman. Premiere #12.

9:00 am (1933). *Parachute Jumper.* BW-65 min. Warner Bros. Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Bette Davis, Frank McHugh. D: Alfred E. Green. p/s.

10:15 am (1933). *Ex-Lady.* BW-67 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Gene Raymond, Frank McHugh. D: Robert Florey. p/s.

11:30 am (1935). *Dangerous*. BW-79 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Franchot Tone, Margaret Lindsay. D: Alfred E. Green. p/s.

12:45 pm (1935). *Bordertown.* BW-90 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Paul Muni. D: Archie Mayo. p/s.

2:15 pm (1935). *Front Page Woman.* BW-82 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, George Brent. D: Michael Curtiz. p/s.

3:45 pm (1936). *The* *Petrified Forest**.* BW-83 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Leslie Howard, Humphrey Bogart. D: Archie Mayo. p/s.

5:30 pm (1937). *Marked Woman.* BW-84 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s.

7:00 pm (1938). *Jezebel.* BW- 103 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, George Brent. D: William Wyler. p/s.

8:45 pm (1939). *Juarez**.* BW-125 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Paul Muni, Brian Aherne. D: William Dieterle. p/s.

11:00 pm (1939). *Dark Victory.* BW-104 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, George Brent, Humphrey Bogart. D: Edmund Goulding. p/s.

12:45 am (1940). *The Letter.* BW-95 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, James Stephenson. D: William Wyler. p/s.

2:30 am (1941). *The Little Foxes.* BW-115 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, Teresa Wright. D: William Wyler. p/s.

4:30 am (1942). *In This Our Life.* BW-97 min. Warner Bros. Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland, Charles Coburn. D: John Huston. p/s.

Friday, April 6th

6:15 am (1931). *Bad Sister*. BW-68 min. Universal. Conrad Nagel, Sidney Fox, Bette Davis. D: Hobart Henley. p/s.

7:30 am (1927). *Orchids and Ermine*. BW-70 min. First National. Colleen Moore, Jack Mulhall, Sam Hardy. D: Alfred Santell. Premiere #8.

8:45 am (1944). *Song of the* *Open Road*. BW-93 min. United Artists. Jane Powell, Bonita Granville, Peggy O'Neill. p/s.

10:30 am (1930). *Young Man of* *Manhattan*. BW-79 min. Paramount. Claudette Colbert, Norman Foster, Ginger Rogers. Premiere #9.

12:00 pm (1927). *Broadway Nights*. BW-72 min. First National. Louis John Bartels, Lois Wilson. D: Joseph. C. Boyle. Premiere #10.

1:30 pm (1932). *This Is The Night*. BW-80 min. Paramount. Lili Damita, Charles Ruggles, Cary Grant. p/s.

3:00 pm (1933). *Dancing Lady*. BW-92 min. MGM. Joan Crawford, Clark Gable. D: Robert Z. Leonard. p/s.

4:45 pm (1929). *The Cocoanuts*. BW-96 min. Paramount. Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx. D: Robert Florey. p/s.

6:30 pm (1933). *The Bowery*. BW-92 min. United Artists. Wallace Beery, George Raft, Fay Wray. D: Raoul Walsh. p/s.

8:15 pm (1930). *The King of Jazz*. BW-105 min. Universal. Paul Whiteman, John Boles, Bing Crosby. D: John Murray Anderson. p/s.

10:00 pm (1942). *There's One Born Every Minute*. BW-60 min. Universal. Hugh Herbert, Peggy Moran, Tom Brown. D: Harold Young. p/s.

11:00 pm (1935). *The Murder* *Man*. BW-70 min. MGM. Spencer Tracy, Virginia Bruce, James Stewart. D: Tim Whelan. p/s.

12:15 pm (1925). *Lady of the Night*. BW-60 min. MGM. Norma Shearer, Malcom McGregor. D: Monta Bell. p/s.

1:00 am (1932). *Blessed Event*. BW-80 min. Warner Bros. Lee Tracy, Mary Brian. D: Roy Del Ruth. p/s.

2:30 am (1934). *Anne of Green Gables.* BW-78 min. Radio Pictures. Anne Shirley, Tom Brown, O. P. Heggie. D: George Nichols Jr. p/s.

4:00 am (1938). *Prison Farm*. BW-67 min. Paramount. Shirley Ross, Lloyd Nolan, John Howard. D: Louis King. Premiere #11.

5:15 am (1937). *They Won't Forget*. BW-97 min. Warner Bros. Claude Rains, Gloria Dickson, Lana Turner. D: Mervyn LeRoy. p/s.

Saturday, April 7th

7:00 am (1902). *A Trip To The Moon.* BW-14 min. Gaston Melies. Georges Melies, Victor Andre, Bleuette Bernon. D: Georges Melies. p/s.

7:15 am (1916). *20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.* BW-105 min. Universal. Lois Alexander, Curtis Benton, Wallace Clarke. D: Stuart Paton. p/s.

9:00 am (1919). *The First Men In The Moon.* BW-60 min. Gaumont British. Bruce Gordon, Heather Thatcher, Lionel d'Aragon. D: Bruce Gordon. Premiere #13.

10:00 am (1922). *The Man From Beyond.* BW-74 min. Houdini Pictures. Harry Houdini, Arthur Maude, Albert Tavernier. D: Burton L. King. p/s.

11:15 am (1927). *Metropolis.* BW-153 min. UFA. Alfred Abel, Brigitte Helm, Gustav Frohlich. D: Fritz Lang. p/s.

2:00 pm (1929). *The Mysterious* *Island**.* BW-95 min. MGM. Lionel Barrymore, Jacqueline Gadsden, Lloyd Hughes. D: Benjamin Christensen. p/s.

3:45 pm (1930). *Just Imagine.* BW-109 min. Fox. El Brendel, Maureen O'Sullivan, John Garrick. D: David Butler. p/s.

5:45 pm (1931). *Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.* BW-98 min. Paramount. Fredric March, Miriam Hopkins, Rose Hobart. D: Rouben Mamoulian. p/s.

7:30 pm (1997). *Private Screenings: Mickey Rooney*. Color-41 min. p/s.

8:00 pm (1933). *42nd Street**.* BW-89 min. Warner Bros. Ruby Keeler, Dick Powell, Bebe Daniels. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s.

9:30 pm (1928). *The Man Who Laughs.* BW-110 min. Universal. Conrad Veidt, Mary Philbin, Olga Baclanova. D: Paul Leni. p/s.

11:30 pm (1931). *Frankenstein.* BW-71 min. Universal. Colin Clive, Mae Clarke, John Boles. D: James Whale. p/s.

12:45 am (1933). *Island Of Lost Souls.* BW-71 min. Paramount. Charles Laughton, Richard Arlen, Leila Hyams. D: Erle C. Kenton. p/s.

2:00 am (1933). *The Invisible* *Man.* BW-71 min. Universal. Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart. D: James Whale. p/s.

3:15 am (1933). *It's Great To Be Alive.* BW-69 min. Fox. Raul Roulien, Gloria Stuart, Edna May Oliver. D: Alfred L. Werker. p/s.

4:30 am (1935). *Bride of Frankenstein.* BW-75 min. Universal. Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson. D: James Whale. p/s.

There it is!

Bette

It's officials: newcomers aimalac, sunny75, and BetteDavis are rocking it out! Will comment more in detail later. Right now I'm just lovin' it.

TCM Underground should definitely take aimalac's suggestion to show the Ralph Bakshi animated *Lord of the Rings* (it covers the first one and a half books of the trilogy, ending with the battle at Helm's Deep) and the *1984* with Jan Sterling. Excellent ideas.

Sunny, I'm glad you couldn't resist. You clearly had fun. A bunch of us would love for Thelma Ritter and Judy Garland to have won Oscars for exactly those films, to go no further than that. And you get extra points for including Whistle Down the Wind, one of the great finds of the 2011 TCM Film Festival. Nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay at a minimum. Polecat, don't miss it. Surely TCM will get around to this since they showed it at the festival.

Bette, you have some soulmates on these boards for your love of 1930s films. You'll hear from them.

Our newcomers are now veterans. Great job!

Now, my main topic for my films are the 1920s and 1930s ones, as you probably have seen. They usually get unnoticed because: the quality, the sound, the lines, and the technology. I wanted to give many of these unseen masterpieces a chance.

For the first day, I centered around that lovable dog Skippy (a.k.a Asta) for the daytime. I mean, come on, who doesn't love him? In primetime, I centered around the ever-creepy Lon Chaney. Not only are his films landmarks, but they're also really fun to watch. I also included "When The Clouds Roll By" as my silent because, not only do I think it is amazing, but there is rarely a silent on that was made before 1920. I also included "L'Inhumane" as my foreign film. I originally scheduled it as my cult film, because, it is a 1920s silent sci-fi that is really good. Sci-fis were SUPER rare in the 1920s.

For the second day, I centered around early Hitchcock for the daytime, because I thought that it would be fun to watch the movies slowly get better and better and better throughout the day. And, I love Hitchcock! For the primetime, I centered around late-20s musicals. I am a HUGE fan of early musicals, and they are so often overlooked. They are also really entertaining!

For the third day, I centered around the too-too elegant world of art deco. i am a huge fan of art deco, and i really enjoy films about it. For primetime, I did my four oscar selections, and then went on to celebrate the birthday of Buddy Ebsen. For my first oscar, I gave it to Bette Davis for Of Human Bondage. Almost any classic movie fan knows about this, and everyobe agrees that Bette should have won. But, for some reason, she wasn't even nominated! ARG! I next gave one to Gold Diggers of 1933 for its amazing music (which I play to no end on iTunes!). I gave my third Oscar to Dwight Frye in Darcula. I know that this may be a little surprising, but Dwight Frye is an amazing actor that never got a chance. His performance in Dracula is actually really frightening, and even most today would agree that he gives a chilling performance as one of Dracula's insane minions, My last Oscar, I gave to Footlight Parade for its beautiful Bubsy Berkeley choreography.

For the fourth day, I centered around early color movies. I personally really enjoy early color movies, they are really fascinating. For primetime, I celebrated Leslie Howard's birthday with my favorite movies of his.

For the fifth day, it is time for my SOTM! On her birthday, my cousin - Bette Davis! I know she has been SOTM twice before, so, to change it up, I focused on her movies that no one has seen, instead oof the well-known ones on DVD. Plus, I really wanted to see her early movies that aren't available anywhere.

For the sixth day, I did, what I'm sure you have all wanted to see, STAR'S FIRSTS. Unless their first movie is widely available on DVD (very unlikely), firsts are never seen, but, they are always wanted to be seen.

For my last day, I did early sci-fis all day, because, I love 1940s and 1950s sci-fi, so, even earlier sounds like even more fun! I also included the incomporable "42nd Street" for my Essentials, and, the freaky "The Man Who Laughs" as my cult.

I hope you all like my schedule!

Bette

Bette--

I LOVE ART DECO! When I saw you're 20s and 30s schedule I immediately thought of all the Art Deco I'd see in the movies, so I'm glad it was intentional. Great schedule!