Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

"The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

26 posts in this topic

Watched "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" last night. Excellent film. Haven't seen it for many years. Have read much about how Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day- Lewis were influenced by this movie for "There Will Be Blood." And after watching "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" last night, I can see the links between the two movies. For example, watching Walter Huston made me think of how Daniel Day-Lewis was inspired for his character in "There Will Be Blood." The facial expressions of Plainview and Walter Huston's character are very similar. The raised eyebrows, squinty eyes, etc.

Anyway, pretty good stuff...

It's one of my favorite films, and I think, Bogie's best performance. But, when I think of a "Bogart film," *The Big Sleep* is my favorite. His character in that is somewhat more... simpatico. :)

Yes, Treasure is Bogie's best performance but The Big Sleep is my favorite Bogie movie. The thread Classic Screen Criticism has a review of Treasure that is on target.

I saw this film for the first time what I was 20 in 1971, It had a huge influence on my sense of adventure and I identified with Time Holt's character. He became kind of a role model for me.

Over the years this film just gets better and I never tire of watching it. Now, of course, I identify more with Walter Houston's character. I even use some of his lines when talking to my crew before we go into the mountains to fell trees. "It's going to be a big day tomorrow, better have some beans". That has become a standing joke in these parts.

• Like 1

>I even use some of his (Walter Huston's) lines when talking to my crew before we go into the mountains to fell trees. "It's going to be a big day tomorrow, better have some beans". That has become a standing joke in these parts.

I'd think that Kirk Douglas's ruthless lumberman character in THE BIG TREES would be your role model, and that you'd be quoting him every chance you got.

Hmm, that's an interesting comparison, RMeingast, and one I wouldn't have thought of. I see what you mean about Walter Huston's facial expressions and Daniel Day-Lewis', also, of course. both films are about the lust for riches ( one for gold, one for oil) and how this can profoundly affect a person's personality.

"That said", I'm not sure that Treasure of Sierra Madre and There Will Be Blood are worth comparing. I love the former film, in fact it's one of my favourite movies of all time. And I didn't just dislike There Will Be Blood, I loathed it.

All the characters in Treasure are interesting and, if not likable, at least engaging, even old Fred C.Dobbs. There is not one character in There Will Be Blood whom I like or cared about, not even the young boy ( well, I suppose I felt sorry for him.)

And Walter Huston's character is wise, funny, and basically decent. Day-Lewis' is nasty, duplicitous, greedy, and ultimately evil.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}Yes, Treasure is Bogie's best performance but The Big Sleep is my favorite Bogie movie. The thread Classic Screen Criticism has a review of Treasure that is on target.

Agree on The Big Sleep, but I'd say Bogart's {font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}performance{font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} in{font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} 'In A Lonely Place' easily outclasses 'Treasure'.

{font}

I think 'In A Lonely Place' is Bogie's second best performance but either way I say it is spliting hairs; i.e. very close between the two movies.

• Like 1

Yea, most of the time you only agree with 98% of what I post! :)

But really, I don't recall us having vastly different views on movies and other topics here. Even if that is the case I always find your post interesting and most of the time down right funny.

Bogart-treasure-sierra-madre-300x185.png

"A moment of silence..."

Kid - Remembering FredCDobbs tonight, and it is so good to see Robert O. this evening.

• Like 2

Why do people like thismovie the back projection is awful and sets are cardboardy.

The film provides insight into the personas of different types of people and the impact greed, as represented by gold,  has on them.

Why do people like thismovie the back projection is awful and sets are cardboardy.

Because it has some of the best god-damn acting in movies ever.

Because it has some of the best god-damn acting in movies ever.

That isn't a reason to enjoy a film.   Where are the special effects?   :blink:

..that's FX

:blink:

This is the fx I like:

• Like 2

I always thought this was one of the best movies ever with excellent performances by everyone.  I especially like tim holt .  It always bothered me that Bogart didn't get the academy award for this.  For years I thought he just lost to Laurence Olivier, but then I found out he wasn't even nominated!  wow!  and he got some crazy 'sour apple' award for being 'most uncooperative actor'!.  what's that all about?

treasure.png

My 70 year old Dad loves Bogie but hates his character in it When he throws Water on the kid's face he said "I hate that Bastard." Great movie. Watched it 2 years ago. (I'm 32 by the way.)