Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Anyone planning to watch TCM tomorrow, instead of the Superbowl?

80 posts in this topic

Hell no. (Does anybody use the word Yank anymore except in an ironic

way, because used straight up it sounds so old). I just want to see the

football game. I don't care a flying fish about the hype, the half-time show,

the commercials, or the food, except for the big cheese pizza I'll be scarfing

down.

I'll be going with the Giants, and this time don't wait until the last 45 seconds

to win the game. Smash Brady into the turf early and often. :D I'm a little glad

the Steelers didn't make this year or else I'd be having a nervous breakdown

every five minutes. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. :)

No Superbowl for me - I don't like football and 99.9% of Superbowl commercials are terrible, not funny or clever at all (can't believe people fawn over this crap every year.)

I'm not watching TCM either, there's nothing I need to see on Sunday, but I may end up watching a couple of Powell & Pressburger films I've never seen and just got on DVD ("Battle of the River Plate" and "They're a Weird Mob.")

Valentine, I don't watch it per sec, I just like to have it on. There's something vaguely cozy about it all.

I'm the opposite of our friend, Otis, who claims he truly just watches the Superbowl for the football playing. I don't even really understand football, it seems to be the most complicated of all team games. They're always stopping and starting !

I like all the stuff about it that OtisC. can't be bothered with - the hype, the mid-game show, etc.

TCM is airing a few British films in the same time slot - guess they feel there's nothing more American than the Superbowl, so they might as well go the opposite route and show Un-American movies.

ps - Otis, baby, right you are, I'd be very surprised if the term "Yanks", referring to Americans, was still in common use, if indeed it ever was. I suspect maybe Canadians employ the word occasionally, as a joke, just as perhaps Americans sometimes call Canadians "Canucks". Now, I don't know about other Canadians, but I rarely use the word, and do not think of myself as a "Canuck", any more than an American thinks of him/herself as a "Yank". Sometimes I use the word just for fun - maybe I was yanking your chain. :|

We'll be watching it here ! I don't fully understand Football but get the general 'gyst' of it all. The same goes for Baseball and Basketball. Living in a house with a Brother and 2 Sons who are avid fans, I'm bound to get caught up in it . . . Plus the fact that I'll be preparing those special goodies during these occasions. We're having Barbequed Chicken Wings, Hot dogs with Chips and 3 Pizzas . . .

And I agree with Miss Wonderly ... there is something 'Cozy' about it altogether ... especially when my Family is gathered around. I get that 'Cozy' feeling during the Summer time when Baseball season is on ...

It reminds me of my Mom & Dad ... they were avid fans, too. My Mom would watch it in on a little TV we had in our Kitchen, while she was ironing. This was way before we had air conditioning, so you can imagine how 'warm' that kitchen was, even with the back door open. I always remembered the smell of freshly washed & hot ironed sheets, the sound of a baseball just being hit and a crowd roaring ... and my Mom's excited face, never taking her gaze off the screen. (And mind you, none of our sheets were burned in the process ! ) :x

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}The Superbowl is TODAY, not tomorrow

Yes, Fred, but at the time I initiated the thread, "today" was "tomorrow".

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}ps - Otis, baby, right you are, I'd be very surprised if the term "Yanks", referring to Americans, was still in common use, if indeed it ever was. I suspect maybe Canadians employ the word occasionally, as a joke, just as perhaps Americans sometimes call Canadians "Canucks". Now, I don't know about other Canadians, but I rarely use the word, and do not think of myself as a "Canuck", any more than an American thinks of him/herself as a "Yank". Sometimes I use the word just for fun - maybe I was yanking your chain. :|

misswonderly,

If it means anything, I'm from the States and when I hear "Yank" referring to me, or one of my own, I don't get insulted by it or feel it's meant to demean...At the same time, I don't use the word "Canuck" to refer to any of my friends up North. (I do use it when talking about the hockey team from Vancouver, though...which may be ironic as I'm a big-time Boston Bruins fan.) :)

Funny how here "Yankee" (or "Yanks") is a chosen name for one of our sports teams and "Canuck" is the same in Canada.

Maybe it all depends on who's saying it.

There actually was an old pro football team known as the Boston Yanks, as well as a New York Yankees football team. (and a Brooklyn Dodgers football team, for that matter)

I figured the use of Yank was meant in a humorous way. Used seriously,

it seems so 1940s. I don't know the etymology of Canuck, but to me it

always sounded somewhat insulting, perhaps because it's so short. But

if Canadians aren't offended, I guess it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'm pretty much there just for the game.The other stuff (mid-game

show, oops) is okay, but to me it's secondary. The basic game is pretty

easy to understand, at least after you've watched it on a regular basis.

Well, at least AMC gets the counter programming thing. They have Sleepless

in Seattle on for a large chunk of the game.

Yankee, or Yanqui, or Yanki is still a popular term in Latin America.

They can't call us Americans because they are Americans too. Everyone in the Western Hemisphere is an American. We are NOT named after the discoverer, but after the first explorer who drew up the first good detailed map showing the East Coast of the North, Central, and South American mainland, along with the major islands.

They sometimes call us Norte Americanos, but that also includes Canadians, and deep in Central America I've even heard some citizens there include Mexico as part of America del Norte.

Surprise, surprise. Note that Mexico is included in this map of North America, while Central America is not included:

http://www.viaje.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/north_america.gif

A Yanqui would specifically be everyone living in the US. Sometimes they call us Gringos. Sometimes it's polite and sometimes it's not. The best way to get along in Latin America as a tourist is to grin a lot. If they call you a Yanqui or a Gringo, just grin and look foolish. They like that and will respect you for they. NEVER try to act superior. They hate that. Let them know that you think they are superior, and they will love you for it.

After having TCM on most of the day I gave in and am watching the game. I turned it on just before six and was surprised to see it was already dark in Indianapolis. It was still light here in Tampa and went dark just after 6:45. Does being closer to the Equator give us more daylight?

I'm leaning towards the Giants because I like the classy Manning family but after reading a beautiful article about Myra Kraft and why the Patriots are wearing black armbands in her memory I can't be sad if they win. I'll just enjoy the game and commercials no matter who wins.

That's what makes the word American somewhat ambiguous. Everybody

may call themselves Americans because they all reside on the continent,

but our country is called America, so we can also call ourselves Americans

for that reason.

The map was not made by the explorer himself, Amerigo Vespucci, but by

a different person who made the map and named America after Amerigo.

Grin and look foolish? I can do that, actually I do it almost every day anyway.

It's halftime and Madonna is about to perform. I remember back in the 80's a cable channel ran the Rocky & Bullwinkle Wosamatta U episode as counterprograming to the Superbowl Halftime. It's still the best Halftime I've ever seen.

Intresting trivia point Current Oscar nominee Rooney Mara is reltated to the Mara family who owns the New York Giants.

>but our country is called America, so we can also call ourselves Americans for that reason.

Our country's name is "The United States of America".

See the US Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.

All of the Western Hemisphiere is "America".

You apparently haven't traveled in Central or South America, since you don't realize that they call themselves "Americans" too.

It's like: Europeans, Asians, Africans, Americans, etc.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}Interesting trivia point Current Oscar nominee Rooney Mara is related to the Mara family who owns the New York Giants.{font}{font:}{color:black} {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}The Rooney comes from the Pittsburg Steelers Rooney family; she's double football royalty. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

SFPCC - I will have to play my Rocky & Bullwinkle DVD's to find the Wosamatta U episode. That show had so many play on words and satire. I missed it as a kid. But so glad I discovered the Dudley Do Right Emporium before it closed. I bought copies of scripts.

Marylyn2

Wosamotta U is the second to the last episode of the series, (the last is Moosevanyia Saved, I don't know if you have the episodes in order.)

Thank you so much - I have the Complete Season 1 and Season 2. So they are in order. I have not watched the show in over 8 years. I am looking forward to it. Thanks for telling me where to find it.