Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Anyone planning to watch TCM tomorrow, instead of the Superbowl?

80 posts in this topic

I know how you Yanks love your Superbowl game - and not necessarily for the football. Even Canadians love the Superbowl. Our newspapers and magazines and even internet ads are full of articles about what to eat for the Big Game, party plans, etc.

I'm not even very interested in football, and even I watch it, or at least, have it on. To me, it's kind of like Oscar night: I don't take either of them very seriously, but both are big North American cultural events, and both can be a lot of fun, especially if something goes wrong ( like a "wardrobe malfunction". For that matter, there are lots of wardrobe malfuntions at the Oscars...)

TCM would have to have something really extra special on tomorrow to take people away from the Superbowl. And I notice, they're not showing football movies. (Maybe that's a good thing.)

I will be watching neither. Instead, I will be looking at a few discs from ClassicFlix and streaming a title or two from Netflix online.

The more TCM re-airs GASLIGHT, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and SOME LIKE IT HOT, then the more I look at competitive sources that offer other classic movies.

Why not?

I take an interest in the Superbowl if by the grace of God and luck my my home town team (the Chicago Bears) happens to be playing! Otherwise I'll be flipping the channels to see what else is on!

Hmmmmm...so, "Is anyone planning to watch TCM tomorrow, instead of the Superbowl?" you ask, MissW?

Nope. Not here.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!

(...I think that answers your question in MY case here, huh?..err...EH?!) ;)

Well, let's see. *The Ladykillers* and *The Entertainer* are airing on TCM during the Super Bowl, so I'll be watching the game.

I will add, even if a movie I wanted to see was on TCM, I'd record it and watch the game anyway.

"click" flicks? Oh, I get it, movies you click back and forth from, and can still pick up the thread.

( or did you by any chance mean "chick" flicks? )

Hey, nobody tells you what to eat in those articles...they suggest. Often they're about those "tail -gate" parties, with BBQ ribs, chili, etc. Guess it's warm enough in a lot of the States to eat outside this time of year. In a parking lot.

Yep! I haven't checked the TCM listings for tomorrow yet, but five'll get ya ten that it's probably a Kleenex-fest full of movies like *Stella Dallas, Terms of Endearment,* and *Imitation of Life* !

;)

(...and I hope for the sake of all those non-football fans around here that AT LEAST that LAST one is the superior 1934 version of it starring Claudette Colbert, and NOT the '59 Lana Turner version...sorry all you Lana fans out there!)

Eeh! We knew what ya meant, ol' buddy! ;)

(...but because I'm not Sprocket Man, I didn't feel the need to correct your spelling!) :^0

misswonderly, You might want to say "most" Yanks love their football. I for one have never been a sports fan so I wouldn't even consider watching The Super Bowl. What will I do? Most likely, I'll be watch two or three films that I've recorded from TCM but haven't had time to watch. (that stack just keeps growing)

Super Bowl is traditionally the highest rated program on TV all year and the audience is so huge that the other networks pretty much consider any other programming a "throwaway" since they know they'll have far fewer viewers than normal. I think the programmers at TCM consider that too.

I know Canadians are big fans of American football. I live in upstate New York and have seen the long lines at the border around Buffalo whenever there's a Bills home game.

Since my husband and I aren't into football, we wouldn't be watching the Super Bowl anyway.

I've checked the upcoming movies being shown on TCM for tomorrow afternoon and evening and since nothing at all interest us--we'll be enjoying a couple of Nexflix movies.

I'm with ThelmaTodd on this one. The football season ended for me when Jay Cutler broke his thumb. If I'm not watching TCM, I'll be doing something else. But, the super bowl is not among the things I'll be involved with.

Neither my esso nor I like to watch other people play games. It is sad to say we have watched the movies scheduled for TCM recently so they also do not appeal to us.

We will be watching classic movies on DVDs and watching parts of the AbFab marathon on BBCAmerica.

While not a fan of either of the participants in particular, I am a sports fan in general so I'll be watching (at least most of the game.)

Looking at the TCM schedule for tomorrow, nothing interests me. I've either seen the films multiple times or don't care to see them once.

Gotta go with football tomorrow. Two very good and closely matched teams in a rematch of the best Super Bowl ever, and besides, the TCM competition tomorrow night is less than stellar. Kind of a no-brainer this time around.

Now if it were Louise Brooks or Jean Gabin going up against the Cowboys vs. the Bills or the Vikings vs. the Dolphins, I might see it a bit differently. ;)

I don't even know what's on TCM tomorrow night. Any other team but the Pats, and it's most likely TCM time. Sooo, it's been almost 50-50 the last eleven years... :-)

Go Pats!!!!!

I'm from the detroit area. We are never in the Super Bowl. This year we were over the Moon that we made the playoffs. I'll be watching.

In the years I can remember I think I missed two Super Bowls. One of them was when I was flying home from my father's funeral, (1989.) The other one's to screwed up to talk about.

Yes, I'll be watching TCM instead of the Superbowl, as always. That and the new "Downton Abbey". Don't like Pro Football at all. College Football, yes, when it's my alma mater, but not Pro Football.

I won't be watching either.

Can't stand football, and it's February on TCM 31 days of stuff I don't want to watch.

DVD day for me.

Not a lot for me to watch on TCM this month I either already have the film recorded or don't care for it so it's the super bowl for me--Go Eli.

I'm a red-blooded Southern Male is gonna be watchin' some football and my only regret is Drew Brees and the Saints are not in the Big Game.

By the way, Canadians play and love football, too.

The CFL and the Grey Cup is a Canadian tradition with many American players going and playing in its league or coming to the NFL.

Great Football.

Jake in the Heartland

I haven't watched a Super Bowl since the holy trinity of Aikman, Smith and Irvin went by the wayside. Without them and Moose Johnston, it's just not worth tuning in.

So, early in the afternoon it will be a bit of the AbFab marathon (loved the brand new episode!), then later on Columbo, followed by Downton Abbey and then a Holmes Inspection to round things out. I might take a peek at The Lavender Hill Mob or The Ladykillers, as those are always enjoyable.

>JakeHolman wrote: By the way, Canadians play and love football, too.

>

>The CFL and the Grey Cup is a Canadian tradition with many American players going and playing in its league or coming to the NFL.

>

>Great Football.

Among them, Bud Grant.

Bless you for mentioning the CFL, and bless you for letting me mention Bud Grant.