Sign in to follow this  
johnbabe

WELL, WHY NOT?

8 posts in this topic

TCM HAS NEVER SHOWN GARBO'S EUROPEON FILMS!

LET US SEE HER IN HER ABSOLUTE PRE-HOLLYWOOD BEAUTY THE WAY STILLER DIRECTED HER IN *GOSTA BERLING SAGA* AND PABST DIRECTING HER IN *THE JOYLESS STREET?*

SHE HAD A VERY PROMISING CAREER IN EUROPE AND WAS DISCOVERED BY L. B. MAYER WHEN HE WENT TO MEET STILLER IN GERMANY. IT IS A LONG STORY, BUT MGM TRANSFORMED HER INTO A DIFFERENT KIND OF ACTRESS THAN STILLER HAD INTENDED HER TO BE BE- ANYWAY, TCM, AND RO PLEASE TRY TO GET THESE FILMS ON THE AIR SO YOUR VIEWERS CAN SEE ANOTHER SIDE OF GARBO!

LET US SEE HER IN HER ABSOLUTE PRE-HOLLYWOOD BEAUTY THE WAY STILLER DIRECTED HER IN *GOSTA BERLING SAGA* AND PABST DIRECTING HER IN *THE JOYLESS STREET?*

SHE HAD A VERY PROMISING CAREER IN EUROPE AND WAS DISCOVERED BY L. B. MAYER WHEN HE WENT TO MEET STILLER IN GERMANY. IT IS A LONG STORY, BUT MGM TRANSFORMED HER INTO A DIFFERENT KIND OF ACTRESS THAN STILLER HAD INTENDED HER TO BE BE- ANYWAY, TCM, AND RO PLEASE TRY TO GET THESE FILMS ON THE AIR SO YOUR VIEWERS CAN SEE ANOTHER SIDE OF GARBO!

Sorry, you are yelling so loud, I can't make it out. Garbage? ... Gable? ... maybe Garbo? Oh probably not ...

=

I assume these pre-Hollywood Garbo films are silent films.    Are they available with English title cards?     I assume YES.

TCM should show these films as part of silent film Sunday (as well as other first rate foreign silent films). 

Garbo silents is Garbo at her best IMO. I've seen Gosta Berling and liked it, she had an especially bang-bang scene though the memory is faded. It used to be available on Netflix. Joyless Street is another (as the OP points out). Those early silents were more arty than Hollywood and she came across beautifully, The best silent actor ever ... maybe ...I'm probably not in a position to judge that ... but she was terrific. Even the silents in Hollywood were great films and showed us a better Garbo than the talkies.

Unlike everyone else in the world, I didn't care at all for that famous line in Anna Christie when she orders the drink early on, with that nasty drawl, too overdone to me. The German AnnaC was better all around than the English one. She transitioned well to talkies but there is something lost in her art. The expressive quality required in silents were natural to her. Her face could register a shimmering catalog of emotional states with perfection and in a short space of time. Her silents should always be seen at least twice. The second time just keeping your eyes on her face (that's probably where they were the first time anyway, ha)

I did like her a lot in Grand Hotel though. I can't imagine anyone else doing that, no one.

A showcase on Greta silents and as the OP points out, those early ones especially would be as  magnificent TCM event.

ps TCM used to play on one the 'short' features, a fairly recent discovery of a single reel from a 1923 film made in Russia. A soldier visits her in her room and they have a rather heartfelt interlude about their love affair and his impending absence. Can't remember the title right now.

l.

==

You've probably left this site but if you're still here they are showing an Ingrid Bergman Swedish film this weekend. Might not want to miss it.

On 6/29/2015 at 7:54 PM, laffite said:

Her face could register a shimmering catalog of emotional states with perfection and in a short space of time. Her silents should always be seen at least twice. The second time just keeping your eyes on her face (that's probably where they were the first time anyway, ha)

Laffite, This is my reply to your excellent review: Beautifully stated.  There will never be anyone like her.