Sign in to follow this  
doctorxx

Best"bad" girl?

33 posts in this topic

I would pick Barbara Stanwyck in Baby Face. I thought Shirley MacLaine did a great job in Some Came Running. When the production code came in, in July 1934, Whores became shady ladies!

How bad is bad?

If Marie Dressler's intimation is on the mark, Jean Harlow in Dinner At Eight is my favorite.

Wonderful scene, wonderful double take, glorious line delivery.

In my opinion, nobody plays a greater bad girl than the wonderful Ms. Stanwyck. Look at her in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers." There doesn't seem to be an ounce of goodness in her character in that one. Then there's "Double Indemnity." Like the nursery rhyme says, "When she was bad, she was very, very bad."

Terrence.

Ooooh, I forgot about Mrs. Dietrichson. That anklet! Poor Fred, he didn't stand a chance.

BUT, if he didn't take the time to record his story in the dictographmachinethingy, he could have easily made it to Tijuana. Then again, we wouldn't have had the movie, so.......... :D

Did they extradite from Tijuana in 1944?

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}Ooooh, I forgot about Mrs. Dietrichson. That anklet! Poor Fred, he didn't stand a chance.

>

> BUT, if he didn't take the time to record his story in the dictographmachinethingy, he could have easily made it to Tijuana. Then again, we wouldn't have had the movie, so.......... :D

>

> Did they extradite from Tijuana in 1944?

You know, it's fiction...

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}I suspect that willbefree was just having fun, and that she is fully aware that *Double Indemnity* is a fictional story.

I suspect I already suspected that, and I suspect I was just having some fun back. I suspect.

I suspected as much...........but I still wanted Walter to make it out alive. I suspect Keyes did too.

Much more annoying...the political assistant in Boss, the show on STARZ, who went home to PACK, knowing Kelsey was after him, and blam-o, got it right in the back. Blerg.

But seriously, *do* they extradite from Tijuana?

That was the first name and role which came to my mind too, Sepia.

However, after reading VX's suggestion of Jane Greer in *Out of the Past*, I think I'm gonna jump ship here and side with him.

"No one is all bad". "She comes the closest!". I vote for Kathy too (Jane Greer) :D

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> But seriously, *do* they extradite from Tijuana?

I'm hardly an expert, but it is my understanding that we do have an extradition treaty with Mexico, but they will not extradite anyone facing capital punishment. If that was the case back then, I don't know.

Thanks for all the support for Kathie Moffat as the baddest of the bad girls! I think there are two kinds of "bad girls" - the 'good-bad' girls, and the 'bad-bad' girls. Kathie was a very bad-bad girl.

Never seen "Ouy Of The Past" Dargo. Looks like I'm going to keep an eye out for it!

Sepiatone

If you like Film Noir, you're gonna love it, Sepia.

It's maybe the very best example of the genre. I know many people think it might be, anyway.

> {quote:title=doctorxx wrote:}{quote}I would pick Barbara Stanwyck in Baby Face.

Just the one I was going to mention! She had no reservations in that movie about boffing any man (young or old, handsome or homely) in the office just to work her way to the top of the corporate ladder....basically "lay 'em and leave 'em"! :^0

Yes, but as in so many other movies of this era, it cops out in the end, and she becomes a good girl, not caring for the half-million dollars of jewelry and securities strewn across the bed of the ambulance. There aren't many movies from this time that are true to their premise. For instance, in Female, all George Brent has to do is act like a damned jerk and Ruth Chatterton's character gets all mewy and kittenish and wants to stay home, play bridge with the girls on Wednesday, and raise kiddies. Someone who knew how to make a going concern in a troubled industry in the depression all of a sudden turns it over to an engineer who doesn't have the slightest experience with running a corporation. For all its advocating of sexual freedom, in A Free Soul, Norma Shearer still ends up with the wimpy callow juvenile. The only film I know of where the bad girl doesn't either die or reform is Red-Headed Woman.

Lizabeth Scott was rather "bad" in *Too Late For Tears* . Another good "bad" girl, Theresa Russell in *Black Widow* But I would agree with several previous posts, Jane Greer (Out Of The Past) is the ultimate "bad" girl .

Edited by: mrroberts on Feb 15, 2012 10:01 AM

Edited by: mrroberts on Feb 15, 2012 10:03 AM

Yeah, but she reforms at the end (sort of) so I'd rate her a bit lower than Babs' Phyllis in Double Indemnity (rotten to the core........)