Sign in to follow this  
RpD

Turner News... Kim Novak's poem became Belafonte/Kingston Trio song

5 posts in this topic

What poem of Kim Novak's became a Harry Belafonte and Kingston Trio song? Or what song came from one of her poems??

Turner news about the *2012 TCM Classic Film Festival* said:

"{font:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}{size:12px}Novak moved to a cliffside dwelling along the wild coast of Big Sur, Calif., with the purpose of creating a new lifestyle in harmony with nature while combining it with her love of painting and writing poetry. One of her poems was made into a song and recorded by the Kingston Trio and Harry Belafonte.{font}"

http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5986

So far I've uncovered that they both recorded a song titled "Little Light" but I can't find anything on the authorship.

Scratch that idea, she's not the composer. I'll keep digging.

Edited by: clore on Mar 6, 2012 4:42 PM

The timing confuses me. It seems that if Kim Novak wrote a poem, it would have to have been,'like, post-1975 or so. Were the KIngston Trio still recording at that time?

I think Kim moved to Big Sur around 1970 when she left Hollywood.........

I have read a bit more, and it seems that Ms. Novak may have wrote some poetry around 1950 when she was 17, about being on a train?... which perhaps she added to later? I don't know, not much info, just my guesstimates. Not that I think that poem was the basis for a song, just that I do think she wrote poetry well before she semi-retired.

And... she wasn't necessarily the composer of the song, although one might think she should at least share credit. Perhaps 'Little Light' (or 'This Little Light of Mine') was based on one of her poems... sounds like a good title for a poem ;).