Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove To--Week of Mar 12th!!

6 posts in this topic

TCM Flix to groove to--week of Mar 12th!!

First I have to give a shout out for some coolio flix on Sunday, Mar 11th! First up in the wee hours, we are grooving hard to an Inspector Carr mystery short, with my main man John Hamilton in the lead, along with Dr. Crabtree played by Donald Meek! Always dig these mystery shorts, and so cool to start the day with one, and it's followed by one of my favorite love stories, William Powell and the luscious Kay Francis in ONE WAY PASSAGE (1932)!! I'm sure many have seen this one by now, but if not, you definitely have to check it out! Also able support by my main man Frank McHugh, the wonderful Aline MacMahon (she really was busting it out during the pre-code!!), and long standing character actor, Warren Hymer, who has perhaps his finest hour in this film!

There's even more to dig on this Sunday, with GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE (1942) showing up as part of the evenings' Ann Sheridan tribute! And this week's Silent Sunday feature stars Ramon Novarro and Anita Page in the 1929 THE FLYING FLEET!!! Man, for losing an hour this weekend, TCM is sure making up for it!!

Monday we are grooving hard to a daytime tribute to director William A Wellman, one of my all time faves!!! We naturally start off with a block of pre-codes, the first starring the vastly underrated Ruth Chatterton, along with Louis Calhern, in a tale reminiscent of the "Madame X" story, which seemed to be told a lot in the 30's, IMO, but this one is the 1932 FRISCO JENNY, and it's one of the best! This is followed by Babs Stanwyck and George Brent mixing it up in THE PURCHASE PRICE (1932), also featuring my man Lyle Talbot! The sassy Glenda Farrell and lovely Sally Eilers show up along with my man Richard Barthelmess in another film that features a recurring theme in the early 30's, that of the plight of WWI vets, this time CENTRAL AIRPORT (1933)! Also featured in the tribute are A STAR IS BORN (1937) with Janet Gaynor, Frederic March and Adolphe Menjou!!, and THE OX-BOW INCIDENT, with Hank Fonda, Dana Andrews, Anthony Quinn and Harry Morgan!!

Tuesday daytime is a bunch of hi-jinx, song, and drama in hotels and resorts, including William Gargan, Allen Jenkins, and Patricia Ellis in A NIGHT AT THE RITZ, a 1935 madcap flick, and HOLLYWOOD HOTEL (1937) featuring Dick Powell, and Rosemary and Lola Lane!! Tuesday night is "Bob's picks" and he's on a roll, daddio! Kicking it off with LADIES IN RETIREMENT (1941), featuring Ida Lupino, Louis Hayward, and Evelyn Keyes!! Next up a pre-code fave featuring Bette Davis and Spence, 20,000 YEARS IN SING-SING (1932)!!! Bob's also grooving to Deborah Kerr and Trevor Howard in I SEE A DARK STRANGER (1945) and the lovely Merle Oberon, George Sanders, and Laird Cregar in THE LODGER (1944)!!

Wednesday, I'll be grooving to a film noir I caught once before on TCM, but want to check again, BACKFIRE (1950), with my main man Edmond O'Brien, Dane Clark and Virginia Mayo!! I also want to check out PULP (1972), which looks very interesting, never saw it before, features The Mick, along with Michael Caine and Lionel Stander!

Thursday we are treated to a daytime block of Randolph Scott flix, including the elegiac RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, which also features...drum roll please....TCM Board fave, Joel McCrea! And this is followed by a block of George Brent flix, including one he stars in with Bette Davis, which I've not seen before, THE GOLDEN ARROW (1936), also showing up is my man Eugene Pallette and Dick Foran!! Also gotta be digging on the low-rent RACKET BUSTERS from 1938, those kind that WB just cranked out in the 30's, but always good, always with crime, gangsters and social issues of the day, featuring Bogie!! And the lovely Kay Francis shows up with George in SECRETS OF AN ACTRESS (1938)!!

Thursday evening features director John Ford in the 30's, and wow!! Totally grooving to Eddie G in a fantastic dual role in THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING (1935), with Jean Arthur, Wally Ford, Edward Brophy, and Donald Meek! Great flick, if you've not seen it before, definitely check it out! Also the classic STAGECOACH (1939), the flick that put The Duke on the map! And, last but not least, the somewhat off-beat, but very compelling FLESH (1932) with Wally Beery, Karen Morley, my main man Ricardo Cortez, and Jean Hersholt! It's definitely pre-code, definitely about wrestling, definitely about gold-digging, but its' also a very unusual film with an intriguing mood, one of the greatest openings ever! Check it out!

Friday daytime includes some military comedies--including the zany NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS (1958) with Andy Griffith and Don Knotts!!!, and a Jerry Lewis lineup, which is pretty rare, the one I'm most interested in checking out is the lone Lewis and Dean-O team-up in AT WAR WITH THE ARMY (1950)!

St. Patty's Day, Saturday, Mar 17, features a line-up of flix dedicated to that holiday, including THE KEY (1934) with William Powell, Colin Clive and Edna Best!!, THE IRISH IN US (1935) with Jimmy Cagney, Pat O'Brien and my main men Frank McHugh and Allen Jenkins!!

Saturday night features a slate of films based on Booth Tarkington works, including ALICE ADAMS (1935), THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942), and PENROD AND SAME (1937) among others. Only with TCM do we get such dedications, it rocks!

Late night Sunday is rocking, and I'm going to have to pull an all-nighter, I think! First, the Silent Sunday feature is J'ACCUSE (1919), followed by A NOUS LA LIBERTE (1931), directed by Rene Clair, and finally in the really wee hours, MEN MUST FIGHT (1933), a very intense pre-code film that deals with issues of war and peace, featuring Lewis Stone, May Robson (with a great performance), Robert Young and Hedda Hopper! I've only seen this flick once a LONG time ago on TCM, and I'm really looking forward to it!!!

Yet another totally groovy week of TCM flix!!! Thanks, TCM, for all the great movies!!! You guys rock out!

I thank you very much for locating the high points of the coming week.

I can add only a few thoughts:

*Krylya* (1968) is a gentle character study of a woman who passionately embraced the zeitgeist of the war and her life now is an anti-climax. It is perhaps Larisa Shepitko's best movie. It is also early in Maya Bulgakova's career. I am sure it will be outside of the comfort zone of many viewers.

*The L-Shaped Room* (1962) in my favorite Leslis Caron drama.

*Love In The Afternoon* (1957) is a very touching story and is also very funny with Maurice Chevalier as a doting and befuddled father!

*Ring Of Bright Water* (1969) has a premise that intrigues me.

I hope all watch *Krylya* (1968) tonight. I also hope that some could feel how personal the war was for some people.

Mr. Osborne gave a wonderful introduction!

I had TCM on in another room while I worked, and walked in on the last 20 minutes of Krylya, which grabbed me immediately. Now I wish I'd seen it from the beginning. I hope TCM repeats their Imports later this year; if so, I will definitely arrange my schedule so I can see this movie from the beginning (including RO's intro).

SansFin, I want to second your recommendation of *The L-Shaped Room*, on tonight. This is not available on Region 1 DVD, so if you're interested, watch or record it.

Like Mark, I have to recommend *Ladies in Retirement*, especially for those who like offbeat films or Ida Lupino, and *I See a Dark Stranger*, especially for Deborah Kerr and Trevor Howard fans. For those who love the 30s Hitchcock films, this is a good approximation.

Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning repeats *Adventures of Don Juan*, not to missed for glorious Technicolor, Oscar-winning costumes, great set design, and Errol Flynn ideally cast. Viveca Lindors isn't too shabby, either. Vincent Sherman's a better director than he's usually given credit for.

Wednesday morning: though I haven't seen *Carve Her Name With Pr*ide, friends have recommended this WWII spy drama. *The Key* (1958) is a WWII romance with William Holden, Sophia Loren, and Trevor Howard under the direction of Carol Reed. Though little-known, this film is a personal favorite. Tugboat captains William Holden and Trevor Howard have the incredibly dangerous task of bringing supply ships safely into port; Sophia Loren is the woman passed from one captain to another, not what you'd expect in a 1958 film.

On St. Patrick's Day a Michael Curtiz film also called *The Key* (1934) will be shown; no relation to the later film, the 1934 film is essentially a filmed play.

kingrat wrote:SansFin, I want to second your recommendation of The L-Shaped Room, on tonight. This is not available on Region 1 DVD, so if you're interested, watch or record it.

I will "third" your recommendation of The L-Shaped Room! By the way, I was interested and I recorded it, but without knowing about the musical surprise.

The background music for this movie, particularly in the first few minutes and then somewhat later on, is the Brahms First Piano Concerto which I mentioned in another thread recently. However, the weird distortion (or "chamber" type of adaptation, or whatever you would like to call it) of this music is very interesting, and I suppose that Brahms has now turned over in his grave!

The piano comes through nicely. I cannot understand why this music was chosen for this movie. The beginning of this concerto (a rousing orchestral introduction which does not portend the coming piano) is promoted in a short clip between movies, and shows a picture of the male in the lead role. The music is not a distraction, even for one like myself who well knows this music in its much-recorded classical concert form with many orchestras and pianists.

The acting is first-rate and Leslie Caron is not the person that you might expect in such a movie, since there is no song and dance; it is serious and intense drama.

musikone