Sign in to follow this  
mrroberts

Night And The City , 1950

12 posts in this topic

*Night And The City* . From 1950, one of the high points of the film noir era of movies. Starring Richard Widmark, in one of his very best performances. A fine supporting cast including the wonderful Gene Tierney. Filmed in England with lots of great London location background (only a few years after WW2 here). TCM is showing this Fox movie classic this Sunday at 8 pm est. Hopefully many people will watch, if you've never seen it before, you will be in for a treat.

Night and the City is one of my all-time favorite Film Noirs. Bettered only by Sweet Smell of Success in my book. I own the Criterion releases of both titles. Both films have an excellent commentary track.

:)

A great film. I already commented on it in another thread. Widmark is at his slimy best in this film. No matter how corrupt he was, you still felt a sort of empathy to his plight.

A superb film for sure. The best part in my opinion is it's storyline that grabs you and holds you right to the end. The photography is textbook Noir. I am usually partial to New York or California locations, but in this case London works beautifully. Probably the only Film Noir where I make an exception!   

5 hours ago, decojoe67 said:

A superb film for sure. The best part in my opinion is it's storyline that grabs you and holds you right to the end. The photography is textbook Noir. I am usually partial to New York or California locations, but in this case London works beautifully. Probably the only Film Noir where I make an exception!   

I believe I know what you mean by 'make an exception';   I.e. there are other English crime \ noir type films but they don't have the same vibe as an American noir set in NY or CA that says 'this is noir!'. 

But Night and the City has that vibe.  

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe I know what you mean by 'make an exception';   I.e. there are other English crime \ noir type films but they don't have the same vibe as an American noir set in NY or CA that says 'this is noir!'. 

But Night and the City has that vibe.  

I see we're on the same page with location being key in noir films. It's a personal thing with me being I'm somewhat of an historian of these great American cities. I love seeing them on film back in the '40's and '50's.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:52 AM, decojoe67 said:

Oh come on, there are some great English Noir, we just never see them. You got to check out Pool Of London (1951) and I Became a Criminal (1947), and The Fallen Idol (1948). I've heard lots of good recommendations for The Blue Lamp (1950), but I've never been able to catch it.  I'm sure there are other impressive English Noirs we've just never see them. Paris is also a great setting for Film Noir, Rififi (1955) Diabolique (1955). We have barely scratched the surface of what's avialble out there, and it's a shame. For instance check out this list French Film Noir

On 4/30/2018 at 9:21 AM, cigarjoe said:

Oh come on, there are some great English Noir, we just never see them. You got to check out Pool Of London (1951) and I Became a Criminal (1947), and The Fallen Idol (1948). I've heard lots of good recommendations for The Blue Lamp (1950), but I've never been able to catch it.  I'm sure there are other impressive English Noirs we've just never see them. Paris is also a great setting for Film Noir, Rififi (1955) Diabolique (1955). We have barely scratched the surface of what's avialble out there, and it's a shame. For instance check out this list French Film Noir

You ALWAYS bring the heat with your recommendations. I've searched high and low for " Pool of London" and only found region 2 dvd and blu rays... I got to see that film. I found " The Fallen Idol" on Amazon Prime.

5 hours ago, Moorman said:

You ALWAYS bring the heat with your recommendations. I've searched high and low for " Pool of London" and only found region 2 dvd and blu rays... I got to see that film. I found " The Fallen Idol" on Amazon Prime.

Other good BritNoir are Never Let Go (1960), The Long Memory (1953), Terror on a Train (1953), Joe MacBeth (1955) more that come to mind are The Long Haul (1957), and Hell Drivers (1957).

15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Other good BritNoir are Never Let Go (1960), The Long Memory (1953), Terror on a Train (1953), Joe MacBeth (1955) more that come to mind are The Long Haul (1957), and Hell Drivers (1957).

Thanx. I found Joe MacBeth on Youtube.  The Long Memory, The Long Haul and Hell Drivers are on Amazon Dvd and Blu Ray. I MIGHT take a chance on The Long Haul and Hell Drivers.  

Hell Drivers one major fault is the speed up footage for the racing trucks, other than that it's good, but i wouldn't buy it new find the lowest used price for it if you really want to watch it, I like Patrick Magoohan. The Long Haul has Victor Mature and Diana Dors, again buy used, I like Mature and Dors so that may sway my recommendations.

The first four mentioned are good, but I'll always buy used, never been burned yet. ?