Sign in to follow this  
RubyOhRuby

"DAMES" - Underrated?!

2 posts in this topic

I understand that "Dames" wasn't too successful and may have been why the series of films begun by "42nd Street" ended. I suppose viewers may have over-dosed on Ruby Keeler imagery in "I Only Have Eyes forYou", but as a comedy it STILL stands up, it's hilarious! How can you go wrong with a cast that includes Guy Kibbee, Zasu Pitts and Hugh Herbert? Anyone else a fan?

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM, RubyOhRuby said:

I understand that "Dames" wasn't too successful and may have been why the series of films begun by "42nd Street" ended. I suppose viewers may have over-dosed on Ruby Keeler imagery in "I Only Have Eyes forYou", but as a comedy it STILL stands up, it's hilarious! How can you go wrong with a cast that includes Guy Kibbee, Zasu Pitts and Hugh Herbert? Anyone else a fan?

I loved Ruby in I only have eyes for you. Even though it was sort of odd seeing 30 pictures of Ruby's face dancing around, I'd still rather see 30 pictures of her face rather than anyone elses. And right after the pictures of her face scene, I love the adorable way Ruby looks when showing her close up right before pulling back and showing the 30 Ruby Keelers dancing in those beautiful matching white dresses, and the singing is beautiful at that part of the song. Then a couple minutes later, all the Rubys sitting in their dresses making it look like they're all sitting on white lily pads. I also love Ruby with Powell while sitting on the subway, and also the cute way she talked her line while walking onto subway "now you don't know if we're in a garden, do you? Come on answer me". Ruby Keeler is wonderful. A talented tap dancer, beautiful, sweet, and charming. Rest in peace angel.