Sign in to follow this  
soniquemd21921

TCM: time to air Blade Runner

18 posts in this topic

I'd love for TCM to air Blade Runner someday. It is one of the best movies ever made, and a classic in every sense of the word. Would make a perfect double billing with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Blade Runner should appeal to fans of classic cinema. It's basically a film noir in a futuristic setting. Harrison Ford's Deckard is not unlike the type of roles Bogart would have played. Sean Young's android Rachael has a 40's femme fatale look to her. The soundtrack is jazzy and bluesy. And in the original theatrical version there's a voiceover narration.

And while they're at it, TCM should also air A Clockwork Orange sometime too. As dark and provocative as it is, it is a classic.

It's time for TCM to start airing more of the classics of the last 30-40 years. Remember, A Clockwork Orange is 41 years old - which means that when it's older now than Casablanca or Gone with the Wind were at the time. And Blade Runner is 30 years old, making it older than The Sound of Music was at the time...

Edited by: soniquemd21921 on Mar 26, 2012 10:41 PM

Good idea...I forget the word describing the particular genre I'm trying to recall which such movies belong to, but it could be an evening with Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, and similar films dealing with futuristic societies. Maybe even something more recent like The Fifth Element....somewhat similar to Blade Runner in certain ways.

The term your looking for is "dystopian". The first film in that vein was Metropolis, which was arguably the first true sci-fi film. Now that's a movie ahead of its time by several decades (just like 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange and Blade Runner were decades ahead of their time - which is why they hold up so well today).

Yes indeed. From inspired direction by Ridley Scott and Kubrick to involved lead characters and wonderful musical scores (who doesn't love LUDWIG VON) these two films are a cut above and stand the test of time. Certainly these are films that are thought provoking and stay with you long after viewing. Please TCM heed our request.

> {quote:title=soniquemd21921 wrote:}{quote}The term your looking for is "dystopian".

That's it....thanks. I had trouble recalling the word because it is relatively new to me.

Well, if TCM DOES show it, I'll try and see if I can get past the first 20 minutes of it without being overtaken with boredom as I have been with past attempts. Obviously, not for everyone. But I'm all for the *Clockwork Orange* idea.

Sepiatone

TCM should show the complete Directors cut, 2.35 widescreen version of "Bladerunner". I have not seen it presented properly on any channel since I saw it in 1982. That was a great year for movies. :)

The flying cars not yet came true (probually never will), a good thing I guess. Image flying and text messaging at the same time. :0

Is everyone glad that noisy traffic signal didn't - making a racket and saying Walk now, walk now.....don't walk, don't walk.

The dark atmosphere is surreal and pretty neat.. The billboard sort of came true (ever been to Times Square?)

30kapl600.jpg

> It's time for TCM to start airing more of the classics of the last 30-40 years.

I don't think you'll find too many people around here who agree, and for very good reasons.

I must confess to not caring for most, if not all, of Ridley Scott's films, in that they're typically long on style and short on substance. Poorly thought-out.

As for BLADE RUNNER, itself, my biggest problem with it is that the story's replicants have become sentient beings and just want to be free. Portraying them as villains is like trying to tell the story of Spartacus from the Romans' point of view, a point of view that's difficult to embrace.

Sprocket_Man wrote:

<< As for BLADE RUNNER, itself, my biggest problem with it is that the story's replicants have become sentient beings and just want to be free. Portraying them as villains is like trying to tell the story of Spartacus from the Romans' point of view, a point of view that's difficult to embrace. >>

Yes this is one of those type of movies that has the "cheapening of human life" theme. The replicants story is sort of vague in this film, it appears they are built from the ground up for off planet labor. Their life span are genetically predetermined. "Bladerunner" could use a prequel.

There are other movies with this immoral notion of creating "humans" (more like throw-away humans) for being soldiers similiar to the humans made for work in "Bladerunner".

"Star Wars - Episode II Attack of the Clones" can be considered disturbing as well. Even though they are replicated (cloned) from Jango Fett, they are still human but just as disposable.. They're just a notch up from droids. (as the Republic or Empire sees them) Life can't be made cheaper than that!

There was a short lived sci-fi series "Space Above and Beyond" (1995-1996) that had humans being created and instead of being born like nornal infants, they are "born" at age 18, that is brought out of their gestation chambers aka tanks (hence the slang given to them - tanks), given limited educated and brought straight to the battle front fighting Chigs (that conflict was caused by holding back vital information)

Our lives are just as cheap. :(

sabcastphotocolor.JPG

creepy%2Btank%2Broom.jpg

*"Is everyone glad that noisy traffic signal didn't (catch on) - making a racket and saying Walk now, walk now.....don't walk, don't walk."* - hamradio

Certain high-traffic, multi-lane intersections in West Hollywood have "talking" pedestrian signals installed - though they announce "Walk. Walk" and "Wait. Wait".

Kyle In Hollywood

I like *Blade Runner* very much. I have meet many people I would recommend for a Voight-Kampff test. It is prominent on my list of DVDs I wish to own.

I do not believe it is an appropriate movie for TCM as it has a modern feel. It does not evoke the atmosphere or the sensibilities of the classic era.

>I do not believe it is an appropriate movie for TCM as it has a modern feel. It does not evoke the atmosphere or the sensibilities of the classic era.

You are mistaken using the word "classic" to mean an era. (who decides WHAT era?)

"Classic" in TCM sense means "transcending time" (& cultures) meaning films that can can be enjoyed by anyone, any time, even today-classic films.

I've heard a lot about Blade Runner, never saw it. I might as well get it out of the library to give it a look.

One reason you most likely won't see Clockwork Orange on TCM is the sickening violence. I had a tough time watching it on the big screen a few years ago, but the small screen may bring it down a notch. Definitely have to be late night.

Although I was surprised sex story Carnal Knowledge aired on TCM late night. It was pretty mild by today's standards, though.

Although I never got into *Blade Runner* I think there's nothing wrong with a showing on TCM. They HAVE shown newer movies before. And many old movies were done with a futuristic intention, regardless how laughable they seem now. As has been said here before, "classic" doesn't need to mean "old". And there ARE people substantially over voting age who would think this movie is "old"!

Sepiatone

Racheal in "Bladerunner" looks like she fell out of the 1940's. I was looking for Humphrey Bogart vto walk through the door at any moment. Hey he would had made a good one (Bladerunner) if the movie was filmed back then.

racheal[ibladerunner[/i]2.jpg]

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 29, 2012 12:41 PM

If they do run it, I insist that they pair it up with CREATION OF THE HUMANOIDS.

"Bladerunner" just aired on Encore this past Sunday night. Highly unlikely TCM will go through the motions to show it also. I watched it, haven't seen it in a while. Those toys Sabastian makes are a bit creepy - you have to feed and take care of them. Sort of amazed that he didn't made a female toy for personal needs. ;)

Noticed the movie did predicted something - digital photography. Scanning in photographs, enhancing, zooming in and printed them out. Digital photography was not possible then. Computers in 1982 for the home were the early Apple's, Color Computer and first generation IBM Xt's - lol only 7MHZ and CGA.