Sign in to follow this  
Guest cooper, jeane

Your Favorite Movie Abodes

110 posts in this topic

"I liked Lauren Bacall's San Francisco apartment in Dark Passage."

This magnificent example of Art Deco architecture is still there, on Telegraph Hill, just nestled under Coit Tower on the Filbert Steps. This is the Malloch Apartment Building, and visitors to the City can see this four-story beauty at 1360 Montgomery Street. For years, one of the residents had a lifesize photo cut-out of Bogie that was placed in the window, as if he still lived there.

Me, of the venetian blind and flowered couch fetish, didn't notice this thread before now?? Sheesh.

I love the house in Christmas In Connecticut.

I love any of the city apartments in all the film noir films, with their venetian blinds, shadows on the wall, flowered couches, window seats, criss cross curtains (or heavy drapes), art deco bars, chaise lounges, those 'S' seats that allow for two people to sit and converse with one another........sigh, I have to stop, I'm getting weepy because I am not living in 1935.

dolores

I read about that recently in my AAA tourbook. Next time I go to SF I am going to check it out. I was just there last weekend but for the renaissance faire so we were in costume, not conducive to walking around sightseeing.

Stoneyburke, we need to get us a time machine.

One of the nice things about San Francisco is that you can be in costume and go unnoticed! This is a City of eccentrics; don't let your attire hold you back. ;)

5381126_5e3b8c5465.jpg?v=0

[nobr]biltmorelagoon.jpg[/nobr]

My Dream House

(Biltmore Estate, used as a backdrop for Being There)

[nobr]One_Week_3.jpg[/nobr]

My Reality House

(Buster's do-it-yourself house from One Week)

Can I hitch a ride on your time machine? I think first I want to go back to the Edwardian era and be a rich titled mistress of a country estate and a beautiful town home in Berekley Square,and a member of the "Marlborough House Set". If I can be a different person just for a while,I want to be Alice Keppel.

The Hacienda that Anthony Hopkins had before de-masked in "Zorro",

The very lovely Spanish Revival house that John Huston owned in "Chinatown"

The Ranch House that Walter Huston owned in "The Furies"

The Apartment that Lauren Bacall lived in "Dark Passage"

Jack Warden's house in "Shampoo" (for the really cool pool and surrounding grotto),

Barbara Stanwyck's wonderful home in "Christmas in Connecticut"

The wonderful Mid-Century house in "North by Northwest"

As we discussed- Manderley would be at the top of the list, I think-beautiful old English country manor(in the beautiful wilds of Cornwall,no less),and Rebecca's bedroom/sitting room suite,with those beautiful sheer draperies,and the huge windows with the breath-taking view of the Cornish coast and the lovely breezes she must've gotten-that was a room! Manderley was a house!

Twelve Oaks from GWTW-it looked like the stereotypical ante-bellum Greek Revival Southern home. Tara seemed nice and comfy,but it seemed more an overgrown farm home,it didn't have the planned symmetry and grace of Twelve Oaks.>>

But in the summer time with the heat and the humidity, as much as I love those houses (and the one that Bette Davis has in "The Letter"), the love would vaporize the first summer at least for me, I am afraid.

In the end, I'm a western gal who loves the invention of air conditioning. Guess if I was to go back in time, it would have to be to cooler climes.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

I'm a born-and-bred southerner,lived on the Gulf Coast all my life,and I still can't take the heat and humidity. I'm cooped up in the A/C all summer long,and our summers are loooong.It's too hot to do anything outside except swim. So-you have a very good point about the heat! And then factoring in all the clothes that women wore back then. But I understand that until the mid-late 1800's,we were in a "mini ice age". I suppose that's why it was tolerable. And I suppose that in England it would have been milder. But even if it was cooler,all those clothes! Corsets,stockings,chemises,petticoats...never mind,LOL!

Norma Shearer's apartment in "The Divorcee"-not that it was anything spectacular,but it had a modern chic that suited Norma. All those twin beds for married people after the Code began to be enforced can be irritating sometimes. Although practically speaking,it's not such a bad idea,so that both spouses can have their covers and ther space to sprawl,all to themselves. And the concept of one's husband "sneaking over " to your bed is kind of romantic ;) But it's have to at least be a full bed,twin beds are for kids!

Speaking of Mrs Thalberg,I understand that in real life,the Thalberg home was one of the first to have central A/C,because of Irving Thalberg's health problems.

I love the house in "The House on Telegraph Hill". Didn't like the *residents* so much, but the house is GREAT!!!

I also liked the Duc de Praslin's house in "All This and Heaven Too".

As others have noted, Irene Janson's apartment in "Dark Passage".

I also loved the townhouse in "The Heiress".

Others:

Henry Higgin's house in "My Fair Lady"

Lily Moffat's house in "The Corn is Green"

Trina's house in "Tokyo Joe"

I have always loved San Francisco, if I could live anywhere that is where I would live. Too bad it is prohibitively expensive. I would either take an art deco apartment or one of those beautiful victorians.

I should also note that I love the art deco decorating job in the 1921 Nazimova/Valentino version of "Camille".

Very cool!

I would love to able to see at least some still pictures of some of Thirties Art Deco sets in color. Becasue you always get the impression that everything was in black and white,but I saw this little movie with Ginger Rogers and Joel McRea called "Chance At Heaven",and Joel's character marries a rich "child bride" instead of Ginger,with whom he's always had an understanding. I forget the name of the actress who played the child bride,but she was really cute. Anyway,the movie is black and white,but when the bride is redecorating the home that Joel has built, and when she gets done,it looks fairly stereotypical movie-style Art Deco,but while she was doing it,she was discussing the colors that she'd like, and I remember her mentioning cream and scarlet,for two colors. I know that orangey and green colors were popular in the Art Deco period,and burl wood finishes. I suppose that's one of the differences between movie-style Art Deco and real life Art Deco.

Ain't that the truth, sweetbabykmd?

And we'd better hurry. One of the requirements of the storyline in Time And Again was that the person had to stand in a place that hadn't changed since the place was built in order to be transported back to that time period, hence my insistence on standing in the lobby of the Empire State Building and going back to the 1930s.

How lovely it would be, how Twilight Zone-ish, to step out and be in a long-gone decade.

Of course the reality of it would be unpleasant...my mother would be 10 years old!

But seriously, fantasmagorically speaking, I want to do as Tim Curry, I want to go back. Who was that, who had a waaaay back machine -- Peabody and his boy Sherman!

dolores

I love the 30's, and the clothing - all that bias cut satin. I would have to be well off though, wouldn't want to be affected by the depression.

I'm a New Englander in Florida and can't stand the heat and humidity. My time here grows short. My favorite movie houses are ... Rock Hudson's house that he converted from a barn in, All That Heaven Will Allow, and Sinatra's love interest's house in, Some Came Running. The latter movie matched the novel's description of the kitchen to a tee. I love those colonial house designs with fireplaces in the kitchen. An ex-girlfriend of mine lived in a colonial with a kitchen fireplace and those movies remind me of her house.

Make that All That Heaven Allows, I was thinking of a Springsteen song.

Message was edited by:

MattHelm

The Beatles apartment in the film "Help!" with that sunk-in bed that Lennon uses.

or Mr. Blanding's Dream house. But NEVER Norman Bate's Mom's house.

vallo

daddysprimadonna - you would love my art deco bedroom set which was used by Ginger in her publicity photos. I purchased it about 5 years ago and every time I sit in front of the vanity, I think of her and Astaire dancing their way up the stairs to heaven.

My fav abodes:

In "Rebecca" its Mandalay;

In "The Bishop's Wife", its the little apartment the Professor lived in;

In "The Uninivited" its the haunted house on a bluff that Ray Milland lived in with his sister;

In "Suspicion" its the tiny cottage where the mystery writer lived;

In "The Haunting" its that house (I forgot the name).

I'm sure there are many more but these are at the top of my list.

Poor Matt! But I know you'll miss the hurricane evacs every two or three weeks in the season,won't you,LOL?

I love fireplaces tooI have one in my living room,I even have one in my bedroom-but it's mostly for atmosphere.As you now know,there's very few days down here when you can actually use the fireplace. Every Christmas season I PRAY that we'll have cold weather,so I can burn the fireplace when the family comes over for dinner. It smells so Christmasy with the wood burning. Turkey,ham,and seafood gumbo,LOL! We've had Christmases that you could wear shorts-I HATE that! I keep threatening my husband that the family is going to have to shift for themselves for Christmas dinner,becasue we're going to rent a cabin in the Smokey mountains and go stay there,so we can enjoy a COLD Christmas.

About 10-12 years ago,we actually had SNOW,that didn't melt as soon as it hit the ground-it was so beautiful! Beautiful snow,beautiful grey skies-maybe again sometime in my lifetime!

I would indeed love your bedroom set! Lucky you :) It sounds beautiful,and the Art Deco in the Fred and Ginger movies was always so romantic. It must be a romantic feeling to sit at the vanity and brush your hair,or to sleep in a beautiful Art Deco bed,especially knowing that the lovely Miss Rogers was there :) I always loved the way her back was so supple in those dances.

>In "The Haunting" its that house (I forgot the name).

It's called "Hill" house built by Hugh Crain. Love the 1963 version NOT the 1999 one.

vallo

Yes. I would like to see some color pictures of some of these art deco sets too.

In the case of the one I mentioned in "Camille" (1921), I bet there is a written description of it in "Madame Valentino: The Many Lives of Natascha Rambova"...or maybe in "Nazimova".

I have both of these books, so I should look. Because I too would love to know what the real colors used were.

If there is one thing Natascha Rambova was good at, it was art deco set design! *lol*

I haven't seen either of those movies,and I would love to. Even I knew of Miss Rambova's fame as a decorator,especially on the "Camille" sets-I've seen some pictures of them,and they were beautiful,very early-style Art Deco. I love Art Nouveau also,and the early Art Deco seems to be a little related.

Thanks for the titles of those books,I'd like to read them.

Wouldn't it be ineteresting,when all these years we've gotten used to thinking of movie-style Art Deco as being primarily black and white,to find that color was often used? And it would be interesting to see what colors,if any. Somehow I think that the Fred and Ginger sets really were black and white. I remember reading some trick that they used to make the floors so shiny,but I've forgotten what it was. It couldn't have been oil,LOL, couldn't you just see Fred and Ginger trying to dance on that??!

Judy Garlands house in "Meet Me In St Louis" was gorgeous! By the way, I'm new to the TCM forum, so Hello to all my fellow classic movie lovers.