Sign in to follow this  
AndyM108

STORM WARNING (1950) - KLAN KO'd BY GIPPER & GINGER

64 posts in this topic

>I'm always amused at how often people in the movies tell the bad guy they're going to the police. How dumb can you be. Yet they keep on doing it. I guess the characters in movies never go to movies.

This is so common in so many films, gangster and cowboy films. One unarmed guy telling the armed gangster or outlaw and his gang, "You'll never get away with this! I tell everyone what you did." And then, POW, POW, and the potential informer falls dead in the street.

*I'm always amused at how often people in the movies tell the bad guy they're going to the police. How dumb can you be. Yet they keep on doing it. I guess the characters in movies never go to movies.*

This is so common in so many films, gangster and cowboy films. One unarmed guy telling the armed gangster or outlaw and his gang, "You'll never get away with this! I tell everyone what you did." And then, POW, POW, and the potential informer falls dead in the street.

And then there's the greatest unarmed confrontationalist of all time, the mighty *Mark Trail* , who brings armed villains to justice with his trusty right to the jaw about every four weeks on the comics pages, and never emerges from battle with a single blue hair out of place. I've always wondered what he'd do if he caught Little Rico planting marijuana in Lost Forest, but I'm sure Hollywood could figure out a way to keep him alive for the sequels.

Wasnt that Juano Hernandez in Young Man With A Horn???. A black actor with a major role in a Doris Day film! So there are some! :D

Say, maybe you can tell me something, What was wrong with Lauren Bacall's character in that movie. She acted so odd. Was she crazy or what?

And, question number 2, why would any handsome young guy go for her in the first place? She is not exactly a hot, hubba hubba, chick. She's more like a cold dame who doesn't go for men at all.

Well, I didnt watch much of the film this time, but from talk on the boards she's supposed to be a lesbian. But why does she marry Kirk in the first place then? Very mixed up dame! LOL. I guess she's in the movie to cause Kirk to spiral into the bottle...........

Well, I guess Ginger had to mouth off in some way or there'd be no excuse for them to kidnap and whip her into submission. The character had more smarts than that, but story tumps character.............

Some people never learn. And after all the fatalities that these big

mouths suffered over the years, you'd think the characters on TV

would have known better, but no, the boob tubers were just as likely

to spill their guts and then lose them.

>Well, I didnt watch much of the film this time, but from talk on the boards she's supposed to be a lesbian. But why does she marry Kirk in the first place then?

Well, the story I used to hear, back in those days, was that some young women were lesbians but didn't know they were lesbians. That's what I think the film script was trying to suggest. She didn't know for sure, since that stuff usually wasn't talked about much in general society in those days. But she was curious. So she married a handsome young guy to find out, and within a few weeks she found out that a handsome young guy was not any fun and was not what she was looking for. So, she decided to "go away". I think she said she would travel around Europe with a female friend of hers. That's about all they could say in movies back then.

Related to Young Man With A Horn, in my view the reason Kirk's character went for Amy, the Bacall character was because she didn't like music. i.e. Kirk entire life was all about music and so falling for someone NOT into music was a way to add something different into his life. Of course it was a major mistake but as a musician I can also see the logic there.

There were subtle hints about homosexuality in several movies made in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Go back and watch "Lover Come Back" for the part when Doris and Rock are in her apartment (shockingly) 'alone'. Doesn't he talk about never being able to get married? It seemed that most everyone in Hollywood at that time knew, but pretended they didn't know, that Rock Hudson was gay.

There's a scene in PILLOW TALK where Doris is telling Rock that her latest is rather the gentleman type. Rock then says something along the line of "Oh, is he one of those - the kind who collects recipes." Something else may have followed, but it's obvious that he's implying that her date didn't make a pass because he's gay.

I just got the DVD today, I'll have to check for the sake of accuracy. It came in a set with four other films, and I watched CHARADE and DOUBLE INDEMNITY first.

I didn't find much funny stuff in any of the "Austin Powers" movies. But one thing that DID amuse me was Seth Green telling Dr. Evil to, "Skip the monolouge and just KILL him!" It DID seem that in movie after movie the bad guy rattles on about his "victory" over the good guy that said good guy finds a way, no matter how unfeasable, to get out of it and get away. And how many times have you seen something like this: Someone is out to kill our heroine. She gets the jump on him at one point and beans him with a shovel/pipe/club. She'll then stand there, eyes wide with fright, quivering, hand to her mouth. But instead of bashing his head further into unrecognition, she'll drop the shovel/pipe/club and run. Evil man then gets up and runs after her, waiting for her to fall and hurt her ankle, which we all know she will!

Sepiatone

The Lesbian subtext in Young Man With A Horn is so subtle I can see some viewers even today not getting it, let alone 50s audiences. I'm sure most people thought the character was just a mixed up dame......