Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Leslie Howard as SOTM in July 2012

85 posts in this topic

Well, I sure hope everyone enjoyed TCM's LH month. I personally loved the night that began w/PYGMALION, where we got to see SMILIN' THROUGH, and the next two.

He was genuine, and loved acting, feeding off the actors. His voice could rock you, and even tho' not 16 for ROMEO AND JULIET, did he deliver, or what?

Love your spirit for LH; it was quite an enjoyable month of Tuesdays. No date could roust me.

It is gratifying to see that folks did enjoy his tribute and that we are currently at about 2500 views for this thread. In the beginning, there seemed to be very little interest. And one of the five evenings devoted to his film work engendered scant comment. He is somewhat neglected by film historians and fans, at least in the U.S., which is undeserved in my opinion.

I was not that familiar with his work. I had seen some of the movies showcased before, the usuals ( Of Human Bondage, Gone with the Wind, The Petrified Forest, etc.). But I truly enjoyed discovering some I had never seen before. Sad, he seems to be so forgotten, a fate he most decidedly does not deserve.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I don't see how an actor who was the third lead in GONE WITH THE WIND could be "forgotten". By whom?

I dunno, finance ... these days, if you talk about GWTW and "Gable," most people will know who you're talking about.

Say "Howard" and I imagine the majority of under-40 Munchkins will ask "You mean Moe?"

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I don't see how an actor who was the third lead in GONE WITH THE WIND could be "forgotten". By whom? Where is the evidence?

My definition of forgotten, as it relates to Leslie Howard, is that "Gone with the Wind" may be all they remember about him. He was much more than that one film. And you can not simply blame that on youth. He died relatively young and not everyone watches TCM like we do.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Well, at least they know Leslie Howard's brother Moe.

...and Curly and Shemp too. :D

I've seen very few of Leslie's films, and although he was a very good actor, I feel that he just seems to be the same personality in everything I've seen him in.