Sign in to follow this  
Guest mongo

Your Favorite Movie Lines

512 posts in this topic

I appologize,I didn't mean to exclude her name, I just didn't know the actress' name. I wish there was a way to edit posts =) (Writting was never my best subject lol)

You mention that Marie Dressler was a big star in the 30's, however, I don't recall seeing her in anything else. That I can think of at least. I'd love it if someone could recomend a couple of films with her. I loved her in "Dinner At Eight" .

Some of her scenes were just priceless. That double take she does is so funny.

Thanks again for the info.

Jala

In "Bell, Book and Candle", when Jimmy Stewart is telling his ex-fiance that Gillian (Kim Novak's character) is a witch, and she responds "you just never learned to spell".

One of the most chilling lines ever read, "What would you give me if I gave you a basket full of kisses?" "Why If you gave me a basket full of kisses I'd give you a basket full of hugs" The question was asked by a 10 year old on her way to becoming a serial killer....in "The Bad Seed", 1956...

I am weird and I keep a whole laundry list of my favorite lines but these are the are three of my favorites:

Andrews: "I asked you a simple question. Do you love her?"

Peter: "Yes! But don't hold that against me I'm a little screwy myself (from it happen one night)

Regina Lampert: I already know an awful lot of people and until one of them dies I couldn't possibly meet anyone else.

Peter Joshua: Well, if anyone goes on the critical list, let me know. (from Charade)

Bruce Baldwin: He's got a lot of charm.

Hildy Johnson: Yes, it comes naturally; his grandfather was a snake! (from His Girl Friday)

Of course most of my favorites are not from the movies themselves but from the actors and directors:

Katharine Hepburn: "Afraid of death? Not at all. Be a great relief. Then I wouldn't have to talk to you."

Katharine Hepburn: "Life is hard. After all, it kills you."

Katharine Hepburn: On marriage: "It's bloody impractical. 'To love, honor, and obey.' If it weren't, you wouldn't have to sign a contract."

Alfred Hitchcock: "When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script.' If he says, 'But what's my motivation?, ' I say, 'Your salary.'"

(my apologizes to Joan Crawford fans) Bette Davis: "Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a ****. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies."

Yes, I know its a little neurotic to keep a list of all these quotes, but they always manage to make me laugh. I guess its also the writer in me. I would give some more but this is already a really long post and I don't want to seem actually insane

jalannapolaris,

Here are some Marie Dressler films coming up beginning 6pm EDT April 29 on TCM. (double check the time on this, okay?)

The Girl Said No (1930) A college sports star surprises everyone with his money-making schemes. William Haines, Leila Hyams, Marie Dressler. D: Sam Wood..

Politics (1931) Two women take on small-town racketeers. Marie Dressler, Polly Moran, Roscoe Ates. D: Charles F. Reisner.

Reducing (1931) A beauty-parlor manager brings in an old friend to help her with disastrous results. Marie Dressler, Polly Moran, Anita Page. D: Charles F. Reisner.

Prosperity (1932) Feuding mothers almost wreck their children's marriage. Marie Dressler, Polly Moran, Anita Page. D: Sam Wood.

Marie made one or more films with Charlie Chaplin during 1914-18, a series of movies where she played a character named Tillie (Tillies Punctured Romance has been aired on TCM) and I believe she did mostly theatre from '18 till the talkies (I may have to be corrected here) started at which time she became very popular. She died rather suddenly in 1934.

There has been quite a bit discussion of Marie on these boards. You might try the search feature on the site to find some of them.

Check out this link for a film list:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0237597/

lux

Ok, here are the rest I have related to movies:

Bianchi: You mean you saw the man? You can identify the murderer?

Mrs. Hubbard: I mean nothing of the kind. I mean there was a man in my compartment last night. It was pitch dark, of course, and my eyes were closed in terror...

Bianchi: Then how did you know it was a man?

Mrs. Hubbard: Because I've enjoyed very warm relationships with both my husbands.

Bianchi: With your eyes closed.

Mrs. Hubbard: That helped. (Murder on the Orient express)

Walter Burns: I still wish you hadn't done that, Hildy.

Hildy Johnson: Done what?

Walter Burns: Divorced me. It makes a man feel he's not wanted.

Hildy Johnson: Oh, now look, junior... that's what divorces are FOR! (His Girl Friday)

Slim: Give her my love.

Harry: I'd give her my own if she had that on!(To have and Have not)

Sylvia Fowler: You simply must see my hairdresser, I DETEST whoever does yours. (The women)

Groucho Marx: I drink to make other people interesting.

S. Quentin Quale: I'd have thrashed him to within an inch of his life, but I didn't have a tape measure. (go west)

Mortimer Brewster: Insanity runs in my family... It practically gallops. (Arsenic and Old lace)

Kip Lurie: Lawyers should never marry other lawyers. This is called in-breeding; from this comes idiot children... and other lawyers. (Adam's Rib)

Regina Lampert: Of course, you won't be able to lie on your back for a while but then you can lie from any position, can't you? (Charade)

Mike Hagen: Liquor, I've found, makes me very smart sometimes. (Designing Woman)

Gerry Jeffers: Anyway, men don't get smarter as they get older. They just lose their hair. (The Palm Beach Story)

Crystal Allen: There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society, outside of a kennel. (The women)

Groucho Marx: "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception."

Rufus T. Firefly: Don't look now, but there's one man too many in this room, and I think it's you. (Duck Soup)

Susan Vance: Anyway, David, when they find out who we are they'll let us out.

David Huxley: When they find out who *you* are they'll pad the cell. (Bringing Up Baby)

Margo Channing: I'll admit I may have seen better days... but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail, like a salted peanut. (All About Eve)

Elwood P. Dowd: Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it (Harvey)

Mame Dennis: That's a B. It's the first letter of a seven-letter word that means your father. (Auntie Mame)

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Croupier: Your winnings, sir. (Casablanca)

Roger Thornhill: Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. (North By Northwest)

Marion: I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you. (The Thin Man)

C. K. Dexter Haven: Sometimes, for your own sake, Red, I think you should've stuck to me longer.

Tracy Lord: I thought it was for life, but the nice judge gave me a full pardon. (The Philadelphia Story )

J. Cheever Loophole: I bet your father spent the first year of your life throwing rocks at the stork. (At the Circus)

Nick Charles: I'm a hero. I was shot 2 times in the Tribune.

Nora Charles: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.

Nick Charles: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids (The Thin Man)

not really a classic yet but...Buttercup: We'll never survive.

Westley: Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has. (the princess bride)

Rufus T. Firefly: Not that I care, but where is your husband?

Mrs. Teasdale: Why, he's dead.

Rufus T. Firefly: I bet he's just using that as an excuse.

Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.

Rufus T. Firefly: No wonder he passed away.

Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.

Rufus T. Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first. (Duck Soup)

Groucho Marx: "Marriage is a wonderful institution ... but who wants to live in an institution ?"

Major Strasser: What is your nationality?

Rick: I'm a drunkard.

Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.(Casablanca)

Elaine Harper: But, Mortimer - Niagara Falls.

Mortimer Brewster: It does? Well, let it.(arsenic and Old lace)

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick: I was misinformed. (Casablanca)

This quote is pretty mean, so once again I apologize to Joan Crawford fans: Bette Davis: "You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good... Joan Crawford is dead, good!"

and the above quote makes this one that much funnier

Bette Davis: "I'm the nicest **** dame that ever lived."

I wasn't kidding when I said there were a lot. Anyway if people like the quotes for Kate Hepburn in the last post then I suggest they look into the book "Katharine Hepburn Once Said." It is a book full of just her quotes, some from movies some from her directly. Not even I have the time, patience, or desire to go through the entire book and post the best ones.

Oh, too many to count but wonderful wuestion:

The Best of Everything: "No, Ms. Bender, beat it out on a native drum"

and

"I only have one corner of your life..." (both spoken by Joan Crawford)

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?: "But you ARE! You ARE in that wheelchair!"

Bringing Up Baby: "I'm 10:00, I mean..."

Without Love: "What darling? What sweet?"

and too many others!

"That's arson!" Jean Harlow on learning that William Powell apparently has two wives, in 'Libeled Lady'.

'The Gay Divorcee':

Ginger: "I don't care what you did as a boy."

Fred: Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood."

'After the Thin Man':

Nick: Darling, you don't need mystery, you've got something much better, something more alluring..."

Nora: What?

Nick: Me!

'Vivacious Lady':

Frances Mercer: "I'd like to give you a piece of my mind!"

Ginger Rogers: "Oh, I couldn't take the last piece..."

"Be with you in a minute, Mr. Peabody!" ('Bringing Up Baby')

'My Favorite Wife':

Cary Grant: "Bianca, you're one of the most attractive girls I know..."

Gail Patrick: "I'm your WIFE!"

How about this one from "Ziegfeld Girl"? Lana Turner to Jimmy stewart, "You get a bang out of me, I get a bang out of you."

I caught this one on "The Ex-Mrs. Bradford" last night and it was kind of cute. As William Powell and Jean Arthur are walking briskly away from the stable where he has just given a jockey a shot, Jean asks " Did you inocculate him?" Powell replies " Yes, with a little difficulty." Jean quips " I thought you used a hypodermic?" :)

From "Once Upon a Time in the West": After a group of gunmen wearing dusters walk out of the woods after having just shot down a father, his teen-aged daughter and a younger son. A still younger boy emerges from the house and sees them. One of the gunmen says, "What do we do with this one Frank?" Henry Fonda as Frank: "Well now that you've called me by name...." BOOOM!

"Elvira Gulch! I've waited for a long time to tell you to your face just what I think of you! And now,...well being a good Christian woman I CAN'T!!!!"

From Arsenic & Old Lace:

Minister: "Have you ever tried to pursuede him that he

wasn't Teddy Roosevelt?"

Aunt Martha: "Oh, hes so happy being Teddy Roosevelt."

Aunt Abby: "Do you remember Martha, once a long time ago

we thought if he'd be George Washington it

might be a change for him & we suggested it."

Aunt Martha:"And do you know what happened?! He just

stayed under his bed for days and wouldn't be

anybody."

I know there's more I cant think of right now.

Mag Wildwood: You know what's going to happen to you? I'm going to march you over to the zoo and feed you to the yak? [breakfast at Tiffany's]

Holly Golightly: Not the dark, beauuutiful Latin one. The other one. The one who looks like a pig! [breakfast at Tiffany's]

Elvira Gulch: I'm all but lame for the bite on my leg.

Uncle Henry: Y'mean she bit ya?

Elvira Gulch: No. Her dog.

Uncle Henry: Oh, she bit her dog, ay? [The Wizard of Oz]

Tracy Lord: Hullo, George! [The Philadelphia Story]

Mary Bailey: George Bailey lassos stork!

George Bailey: Mary, Mary. What is it? A boy or a girl?

Mary Bailey: Mmmhmm. [it's a Wonderful Life]

Anita: And what am I? Cut glass? [West Side Story]

And also;

Phil Davis: When what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting whatever it is you've got left.

[White Christmas]

I liked this one from Clark Gable in Wife vs. Secretary. To set it up, he's an big shot magazine man who is in love with his wife and has a strictly business relationship with Whitey (Jean Harlow) his secretary. Rolling your eyes? That's what his wife ( Myrna Loy )began to think. So she started accusing him of having an affair. So the next day he sees Whitey in his office and she is walking away from him and he is checking out her you-know-what ( lovely shot! ) and he says with a great big smirk "If you want to keep a man honest, never call him a liar."

Don't forget tonight on CBS at 8:00 est will be AFIs 100 Best Movie Quotes.

Should be fun to compare with some of the movie lines that was posted in this thread.

Mongo

Just to show I'm not just about the Stooges I offer this gem from "Duck Soup" and the Marx Bros... Rufus T. Firefly: " I say we give him 10 years in Levenworth. Or maybe 11 years in Twelveworth." Chico: "I'll take 5 and 10 at Woolworth."

Back to the Stooges! Our favorite trio is a society party trying to pass as "gentlemen." As they re introduced to the ladies they each try to be suave and debonaire. To the Countess: Moe: "Delighted" Larry "DEvestated." Curly "Dilapidated" To Mrs Gottrocks: Moe "Enchanted" Larry "Enraptured" Curly "Embalmed."

This one has possibly been posted in this thread previously, but I'd like to add it again: "What do you think I am, dumb or something? Why, I make more money than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!". (Lina Lamont in "Singin' In the Rain". ;)ML

These lines were not spoken by the cast but rather written as a prologue. From THE SONG OF BERNADETTE pertaining to the miracles at Lourdes....."For those who believe,no explanation is necessary; for others, no explanation is possible. Truer words were never written.