Sign in to follow this  
Guest mongo

Your Favorite Movie Lines

512 posts in this topic

Guest Jones, Gary

My favorite movie line is a line spoken by Robert Mitchum to May Britt in the movie, "The Hunters", circa 1958. It goes like this: "You don't tinker with a man's fear, he does that for himself"

Guest jim

In the movie Queen Christina when the lady says to greta garbo Your gonna die an old maid and garbo says no Im gonna die an old bachelor

Guest Blackwell, Jackie

One of my favorite lines has got to be "I wish you would stop circling me this way, it's like talking to a top!" from The Pirate, a Judy Garland and Gene Kelly film from 1948.

Guest son, jery

From "My Man Godfrey." Alice Brady reads the headlines of a newspaper and says: "Oh, my Deah! It says a man drowned his wife in her bathtub. Now why did he choose a bathtub to drown her?" Brady's Protegee replies: "Probably it was the only way to get her to take a bath."

Guest gardner, lorrie

How about Prissy in Gone with the Wind..."I don't know nothin about birthin no babies, I don know why I said I knew how to birth babies"..

Guest Kilduff, John

From "Back To The Future": Doc Brown: "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!" Biff Tannen: "Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?" Doc Brown: "When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious..." From "Ruthless People": Barbara Stone: "YOU MISERABLE SCUM-SUCKING THING!" Sam Stone: "YOU INHUMAN SLIME!" Ken Kessler: "You're her kidnapper...she's supposed to hate you!" Barbara: "I look like his mother, and you look like his father...Pretty strong argument for birth control!" Sam: "Muffy, meet Adolf! Adolf, EAT MUFFY!" From "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?": Dolores: "Sorry I couldn't be here earlier, Eddie...I had to shake the weasels." Eddie Valiant: "I'm sick of taking falls...I'm bouncing off the walls...When I get done, I'll have some fun, I'll kick you in your..." Roger Rabbit: "NOSE!" Weasel: "Nose doesn't rhyme with walls!" Eddie: "Oh, yeah? Well, this does...(Eddie kicks the weasel in the groin) Jessica Rabbit: "I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!" From "Trading Places" (well, some board-friendly lines at any rate): Billy Ray Valentine: "It's called the Quart Of Blood Technique! You hit them, and a quart of blood comes out!" Ophelia: "Food and rent aren't the only things around here that cost money" Louis Winthorpe: "And it was all the fault of a horrible Negro...(spotting Billy Ray, he throttles him to the floor) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Billy Ray: (Choking out the words) "It was the Dukes! It was the Dukes!" Sincerely, John Kilduff

Guest Alix

From THE HEIRESS: Aunt Livinia: "What I say may not be of the most importance, but my dear, that doesn't keep me from talking!"

Guest Lyndsey

I really love the last line Joan Crawford speaks in "The Women" (1939): "Well, I guess it's back to the perfume counter for me, girls. And by the way, there's a word for you ladies that isn't spoken in high society...except in a kennel."

Guest Tarnmoor

Here's a really obscure one from Pierre Granier-Deferre's LES CLOPORTES (late 1960s): "Sit by the banks of the river long enough, and you will see the body of your enemy come floating by."

Guest Alix

I love that one too. They don't come much better than that!

Guest mongo

Just watched the movie "The Unsuspected" (1947) on TCM and caught a funny line. Constance Bennett says to Claude Rains "what's wrong Vic, your as limp as an old girdle".

Guest finnie12, moira

I know that this is a little off the subject, but since you saw it too, Mongo, perhaps you could tell me about the actor who appeared in "The Unsuspected" as Michael North? Though he appeared in movies prior to this one as Ted North, he's listed here as "And Introducing"...why? He seems to have been in some interesting movies, from "The Ox-Bow Incident" to the film noir, "The Devil Thumbs a Ride" (great title, huh!). IMDb doesn't list any credits for him after this flick, though he appears to be living to this day. One reason I ask is that North's curiously flat way of delivering his lines in this movie gives them added importance and makes his character seem like he's morally or spiritually exhausted somehow. Or maybe he's just a lame actor whose existential affectation is intended to mask his lack of technique and experience. Either way, I thought that you might enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

Guest mongo

Moira, I also noticed the acting technique of the handsome actor Ted/Michael North. About the name change I suspect since he was given a featured role in "The Unsuspected" he decided to drop the "Ted" and reinvent himself for possible star status. However since the film was not well received and offers grew slim he gave up acting and eventually became vice president of International Creative Management , one of Hollywood's largest talent agencies. In the mid 40's he was married to the late actress Mary Beth Hughes by whom he has a son Donald. He also has two daughters by his wife Leona, who died in 1975. Considering he will be 86 on October 3rd I gather he is now retired and taking it easy.

Guest Hitch

Movie: 'Cool Hand Luke' --- "What we've got here....is failure....to communicate"

Guest Hitch

So many lines from Clint Eastwood are classic. A line from "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly' that i love is this. Eli Wallich and Eastwood are together and Clint picks up a note. The note addresses the reader(s) as IDIOTS and then a few lines follow. Eastwood hands the note to Eli and simply says "It's for you".

Guest Hitch

So many great lines...so little time Movie: 'Scarface' Al Pacino - "I want you to meet....my little friend"

Guest Hitch

I can't stop! Movie: Jaws - Captain Brody sees the shark for the first time...takes a few steps back and says "We're going to need a bigger boat" Movie: 'Plains, Trains, and Automobiles' - Steve Martin and John Candy have to share a bed. The scene jumps to the next morning, Martin starts to wake up and finds John Candy pushed up against his back with his arm around him. Martin says: Dell, why is your arm around me? Candy: Why are you holding my hand? Martin: Wheres your other hand? Candy: Between two pillows Martin: THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!

Guest mongo

Hitch don't stop! Those are some dandy movie lines. Keep 'em coming.

Guest Hitch

OK, twist my arm, Movie: 'The Bank Dick' -- A man asks WC Fields if he likes children? Fields replies "Yes, girl children, about 18 years old". I have to set this one up a little. I know that many people love or hate Steve Martin. His film 'Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid' is one of the most creative and unique films around and i can't get enough of it. For those of you that have not seen it, i'll fill you in. The film is a spoof on Film Noir. The Plot is silly, but Martin interacts with great stars from the past using film clips from their movies. Some of the stars that he seamlessly interacts with is Berbman, Bogart, Davis, Stanwyck, Grant, Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Lana Turner, Ray Milland, James Cagney and many more. Get the picture? Ok, here it goes Martin is trying to use Lana Turner as bait to get information from Fred McMurray. Edward Arnold plays Lana's dad. Martin visits Arnold at his office to ask permission to use his daughter. Martin begins to interact with Arnold in a scene from 'Johnny Eager' Martin: "I'm not stealing your daughter...i'm just borrowing her for an important case" Arnold: "DON'T GO NEAR MY DAUGHTER AGAIN...DON'T TRY TO SEE HER...DON'T WRITE HER AND DON'T PHONE HER! Martin: "Can i use her underwear to make soup"

Guest Mortensen, Sharron

I liked the line when Mae West asked Cary Grant...Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? I really liked that line in The Women, too.

Guest Kilduff, John Edward

I've got a few more: From "Earth Girls Are Easy"... Julie Brown: "Now this is gonna hurt you, but I just gotta say...Your nightlife's going nowhere 'cause ya look like Doris Day!" Michael McKean: "Yeah...cats love water, don't they? Shoot the curl, kitty!" Michael: "Waste Your Brain...Wax Your Board...Pray For Waves!" Geena Davis (Talking about the spaceship): "There's a giant blowdryer in my pool!" -------------------------- From "The Breakfast Club": Judd Nelson: "So it's social...demented AND sad, but social!" ---------------- From "The Jerk": Steve Martin: "I was born a poor, black child..." Steve: "For one dollar, I'll guess your weight, your height or your sex!" ------------------ From "Spaceballs": Rick Moranis: "You went over my helmet?" Daphne Zuniga: "I am Princess Vespa...Daughter Of Roland...King Of The Druids!" John Candy: "Funny...she doesn't look Druish!" Rick: "Even in the future, nothing works!" I like these lines. Sincerely, John Edward Kilduff

Guest finnie12, moira

In "The Mysterious Mr. Wong"(1935), this morning on TCM, a suitor asks Arline Judge "Say, would you like to go to the six day bicycle race with me on Tuesday night?" It may not be snappy dialogue a la Howard Hawks, but what girl could resist such an invitation?! At 6:45am it sounded pretty good to me...

Guest G, Mark

Well, Ive read all the wonderful responses, but I cant believe the one from the end of "Now, Voyager" has not been mentioned. I know she said so many great lines in so many films, but I still like "Lets dont ask for the moon, we have the stars". I think Ive even used this one a few times...

Guest G, Mark

"All About Eve" was so full of great lines, some of them bear repeating... Margo said... "Fasten your seatbelts, its going to be a bumpy night"...Shucks, and I sent my autograph book to the cleaners"..." I detest cheap sentiment"..." Cut, Print! Is this where Im dragged off, screaming, to the snake pits!"..."I'll admit Ive seen better days, but Im still not to be had for the price of a cocktail!"..." She's a louse!"...Maybe its obvious, but I love Bette Davis!!!

Guest mongo

This line from "The Mummy's Curse" (1944) just cracks me up. "The devils on the loose and he's dancin' with the Mummy"!