Sign in to follow this  
GreatMoviesFan

Godspell (1973)

6 posts in this topic

I LOVE this movie. Just would NOT be Easter without it, but I sure wish they could find a better time in the day to show it than 6 A.M. Anybody else like this movie?

I love the movie also. It's very hip and modern, yet also inspiring at times. Victor Garber, who plays Jesus, had been in the original Canadian cast and was luckily offered the starring role in the movie, and Garber thanks this film for giving him a movie/tv career. He's such a wonderful performer, it's a shame he hasn't done more movie musicals throughout his career (I've only ever seen and heard him sing in this and Disney's tv remake of ANNIE in 1999, in which he played Daddy Warbucks). Also, the producer was Edgar Lansbury, younger brother of Angela Lansbury, and the art direction was by Brian Eatwell, who had previously done brilliant designs for the two Dr. Phibes films with Vincent Price. There's also an interesting scene filmed on top of the then-uncompleted World Trade Center towers, which would be used three years later in the remake of King Kong (1976).

Victor Garber also sang on the TV show Eli Stone, which lasted parts of two seasons. I think he sang on only one or two episodes.

I LOVE this movie. Just would NOT be Easter without it, but I sure wish they could find a better time in the day to show it than 6 A.M. Anybody else like this movie?

+
No!
Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Apr 9, 2012 12:51 PM

My expectations of both the movie and the music were low, but I did like both. Seeing New York as it was at the time is another plus.

I like the film quite a lot. Been a fan of it since when I first saw it in the movie theater way back when. Jesus Christ Superstar was also released to the movie theaters about the same time in 1973, but I always liked the simpler and much more joyful Godspell.

Garber has appeared in a number of films, probably best known as the architect in James Cameron's Titanic. He was the star of a short-lived TV series, I Had Three Wives. For awhile there, he kept popping up in TV remakes of famous musicals, the aforementioned Annie, The Music Man, and Cinderella. And in the TV redo of Charlie's Angels, he was the voice of Charlie.

However, his real career is on Broadway. Of course he is famous for the Jesus character in Godspell, but he also played the Devil in the revival of Damn Yankees. Plus John Wilkes Booth in the original off-Broadway production of Stephen Sondheim's Assassins. (He's been in about 5 or 6 Sondheim shows.)