Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

King Creole(1958)

6 posts in this topic

New Orleans.Danny Fisher(Elvis Presley)works in a cheap nightclub,The Blue Shade, owned by mob czar,Maxie Fields(Walter Matthau)Danny comes to clean up and finds Ronnie(Carolyn Jones)Maxies mistress being abused by a drunken hood(Val Avery)Danny breaks it up and leaves with Ronnie.Ronnie and Danny get away in a cab,but when Dannys schoolmate(Fred Winston)sees Danny and Ronnie together he makes a crack and Dannys beats him up getting him expelled.

Dannys father(Dean Jagger)and sister,Mimi(Jan Shepard)are disgusted with him and Dannys walks out joining a gang of punks led by Shark(Vic Morrow)Danny,Shark,and two punks,Sal(Brian Hutton)and Dummy(Jack Grinnage)rob a store.In the store Danny meets Nellie(Dolores Hart)and they fall in love.

At the Blue Shade,Maxie and Ronnie come in,but Ronnie ignores Danny because of sadistic Maxie.Maxie suspects Danny and Ronnie are having an affair,but she says she only heard Danny sing once.Maxie orders Danny to sing,or else.Danny sings and becomes a hit.Maxies rival,Charlie Legrand(Paul Stewart)comes in and wants him to work at his club,The King Creole.Danny agrees much to the anger of Maxie who,along with Shark have a plan in store for Danny.

Elvis only Film Noir and many feel its his best.Based on the novel Stone For Danny Fisher by Harold Robbins.In the book,Danny was a fighter.

Dir by Mike Curtiz

Jack Grinage was James Deans pick to play,Buzz in Rebel Without A Cause,but Corey Allen got the part and Jack did the part of Buzzs gang member,Moose.

Edited by: ERROL23 on Apr 9, 2012 8:46 PM

Edited by: ERROL23 on Apr 9, 2012 9:00 PM

I often get his movie mixed up with the Elvis movie Kid Galahad which is a remake of a Davis, Eddie Robinson, Bogie movie.

Are you sure that in book King Creole is based on Danny was a fighter? That really confused me since of couse Kid Galahad is all about boxing.

Kid Galahad and King Creole are two different films.This was Elvis last Black and White film.The others were Love Me Tender and Jailhouse Rock.(They corized Jailhouse Rock.They should have left it alone)

Elvis himself considered this his best and favorite film.Like Frank Sinatra and Dick Powell he was tired of doing musicals(Sinatra once said,If I played Hamlet,Id sing)Dick Powell got his break with Murder My Sweet and Frank Sinatra with From Here To Eternity.Sadly,Elvis got everything he wanted in life except what he really wanted.To become a first rate actor.

Dolores Hart who played Nellie(And worked with Elvis in Loving You 1957)left it all to become a nun and remains there to this day.Dolores and Elvis became friends and went to his parties.It makes you wonder if all this was true about him being a drug ridden,woman abusing, selfish monster.If a lot of this is true I dont think she would have had much to do with him.