Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

Destroy this movie!

92 posts in this topic

Guest son, jery

The gorgeous, electrifying Antonio Banderras made "Evita" worth seeing. He acted like the only person in the movie who knew the history being created for the screen. Sad to say, Madonna simply couldn't pull it off. to me she looked like a suburban American gal trying desperately to be someone completely foreign to her. But Antonio, yum yum!

Guest Burke, Mike

I thought my wife and I had to be the only people who HATED Close Encounters! When the little kid got abducted, to the terror of his mom, and then to the end of the movie, with how SPIRITUAL the aliens were supposed to be well it just dinI gel. In fact the only thing that DID gel was the pile of mashed potatoes. And as for the inexplicable COSMIC JAM SESSION at the climax, what the beck was THAT about. I too have enjoyed some of Spiel bergI other movies. Thought Jurrasic Park was great, really edge-of-the-seat stuff, and thought Schindlers List was a good (though hardly adequate attempt to portray the unportrayable horror of the Holocaust, and kind of liked CT, though the alien in that looked like it was made out of plastic and fiberglass. Anyway, enough about Spielberg. I must mention another movie that did well in the video store, that I thought was totally loathsome and in really questionable taste: Serial Mom. I couldnt see any humor, or pathos or whatever the message was supposed to be. Just horrible! Does anyone agree?

I'd like to amend Mongo's wish to see all copies of "Godzilla" destroyed, to state that all of the English versions of "Godzilla" should be destroyed.

Many years ago the Public Theater in New York showed a print of the original Japanese version of "Godzilla" and you can't imagine the difference between the two versions. The Japanese version was stunning, like a kabuki play. Seen within the context of Japanese film and art the special effects, which I'd always thought were terrible, took on a startling realism. The plot, which was butchered when it was re-edited for American release, made perfect sense and followed a straight line to its logical conclusion. But it's clear and powerful anti-nuclear message simply couldn't be tolerated in American in the mid-fifties, and so the movie had to be completely trashed before it could be shown here.

To the best of my knowledge, the Japanese version has never been made available on DVD or VHS in America, and I don't speak Japanese so I don't have any way of finding out if it's available in Japan. But I would give, well, a very large sum of money to get my hands on it.

A truly underrated classic.

I'm still searching for a full unedited copy (preferrably in widescreen) of "Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster". I still double over in laughter when I think of that ridiculous "Save The Earth" song they sang...

I think some really entertaining films have been maligned, but it just goes to show how different folk can be!! Im so glad I live in a world, where there are so many opinions out there, and where I can say I love a film ( or, merely like it), and others can say just the opposite, and everybody can agree to disagree. I loved "Evita", and thought Madonna was wonderful, especially considering she is not really an actress, and has never professed to be one. And, I would gladly watch "Hello, Dolly", "The Game", "The War of the Roses", "The King of Comedy", and "Peyton Place" again, and probably will. I do hope, though, that I never have to watch anything with Adam Sandler in it again, if its anything like what has gone before, except "The Wedding Singer". Sure, I can see some of the points some have made, but I think the films have other qualities that outshine those that may need some work. And besides, not every film that comes down the pike can be "All About Eve" or "Some Like It Hot", or "Chinatown", etc. in quality. There are some wretched films out there, but I think the ones I named above miss truly awful status by miles.

"Harum Scarum", the Elvis Presley nightmare that TCM showed over the weekend, definitely needs to be on our destruction list. One could say that it was so bad, it was good. Not in this case. It was so depressing to see this phenomenally talented performer being showcased in another Colonel Tom Parker's concoctions of cheapness. Elvis and cast wore hideous, off-the-rack clothes, terrible photography and a terrific cast of unknowns. You think that Elvis was offered the starring movie leads in "Sweet Bird of Youth," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," "A Star is Born," and dear ole Colonel Parker nixed them all. HIs "boy" had to make mucho money and he could make both him and the Colonel tons of it by making these musical quickies that raked in the dinero. Except for the dazzling "Viva Las Vegas"--and thanks mainly to the sassy Ann-Margaret--Presley's amazing talent was wasted. Let's all say it together now; Destroy. This. Movie!

"Death to Smoochie". I know Robin Williams has gone thru a Brando-like coma in picking his films but what EVER posessed Edward Norton to sign on board for THIS train wreck. Can't even describe how bad it is because it's not watchable for even 5 minutes at a shot. Ugh!

A welcome site to a boring business trip. Feeling cynical.

These should self-destruct:

Elvis Presley movies

Frankie Avalon movies

Sandra Dee movies

Jennifer Lopez movies

Adrian Barbeau movies

I just can't pass up a movie with Sandra Dee. She is just as cute as a button especially in "Tammy Tell Me True".

Also good dramatically in "Portrait in Black", "A Summer Place" and "Imitation of Life".

She left the screen much too early.

Mongo

I grew up watching Sandra Dee. She was always so fun to watch, and still is. I always got flack for liking her, though, because most "classic" movie fans don't take her very seriously. Even if you don't take her seriously, you have to admit that she was at least entertaining to watch!

THE ENGLISH PATIENT! Another film glorifying adultery. What did that woman see in Mr. Fiennes character? Her husband(Colin Firth) was handsome,caring, and truly loved her. She get's caught in a sandstorm with Count Dullerthandull, and she cannot help but jump his bones! I suppose if her husband went out for some milk she would have been re-married by the time he returned! An absolutely revolting endeavor! This is obvious proof that in order to win Best Picture, a film should simply contain scenic vistas a la DANCES WITH WOLVES(another loathesome film).

nedlato, I completely agree that Fiennes' and Thomas' characters were pretty loathsome. I always viewed The English Patient as two separate movies--one with the the despicable Fiennes and Thomas characters and one with the beautiful, angelic Juliette Binoche and a reformed Ralph Fiennes. Needless to say, the latter is a better "movie".

nedlato, I don't know that I'd say THE ENGLISH PATIENT glorified adultery--both the Fiennes and Thomas characters came to a pretty bad end. And I don't think that having a caring spouse always stops people from indulging in their passions. I saw the two characters as reckless individuals. I happened to like the film, but to each his own. I know lots of folks who found it dull.

Sandy K

I still think THE ENGLISH PATIENT and GHANDI are the two most overrated bores ever put up on the screen. Their very mention puts me into a slumber. If someone had just sat down and EDITED these two flops, it would have made the experiences more favorable. Especially PATIENT that did feature beautiful camera and lighting work. They just went on and on and on--exactly like HEAVENS GATE and HOWARD THE DUCK. Also, nearly everything that Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy will send me running from the telly--except for Hepburn's early performances in "Morning Glory," "Bill of Divorcement" and later "Suddenly, Last Summer."

CHARIOTS OF FIRE! Great score and that's about it. People are running. They are running, running, running....

Ha! Nedlato, you're hysterical! you hit the nail on the head about "Chariots of Fire." Talk about boringggggg! And that hideous musical score! For some reason, I thought it would be about flying saucers--you know "Chariots of the Gods"? And when I finally caught it on the tube, I was floored to see it was nothing but a "run, run, run" flick!

If someone were to destroy this movie, I don't think anyone would miss it. I'll go with "Pay it Foward" which I saw on my way to France and I'm STILL really angry about it. Either that or Jerry Maguire, but I have a huge problem with Tom Cruise, I can't stand him at ALL.

Kevin Spacey great in THE USUAL SUSPECTS, L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL(yes, I know it was a dumb movie, but he was great). He won an Oscar, for AMERICAN BEAUTY(garbage)I think, and then he just disappeared. Just like Helen Hunt, Hilary Swank, Marisa Tomei etc...

Paty! Ghandi boring??? Ghandi: Take the first step." Mrs Ghandi : "mumble mumble" Ghandi: "Take the second step." Mrs Ghandi: "mutter mutter" Ghandi: "Take the third step." Mrs Ghandi " more pious nonsensense." Ghandi: "Take the fourth step." Mrs. Ghandi: "recites boy scout code.".... Come ON! This is great dialog!!! Actually I LIKED Ghandi but then, I LOVE history for it's own sake. :)

I didn't think that Marisa Tomei vanished. She may be a little choosy but the results are pretty good since she snagged an Oscar nomination for her fine performance in "In the Bedroom". She is also working on other projects which will be released soon.

Mongo

To say that "Chariots of Fire" is anything but an amazing film, with a screen full of wonderful performances, and a compelling, wonderfully realized story of courage and redemption, is to not have seen the same film I saw. Yes, there was a lot of running in the film...running toward something...running away from something...and each character able to exult in the final, sweet victory over indifference, intolerance, racial bigotry, and questions of faithlessness. This film is a masterpiece, and one of the most "right" decisions ever made by the Academy for Best Picture, certainly better in every respect than its closest rival that year, "On Golden Pond". Egads!!

I liked CHARIOTS OF FIRE! I was the one in the theatre holding my breath at Eric Liddell ran his race! I still think it's an awesome movie, and I love the sets! They are so marvelous, and give the viewer a taste of what things were like during that era.

Oh, how could anyone want to destroy this movie? Get rid of AUSTIN POWERS instead--and yes, I saw all of those movies! Talk about a waste of film! Yeah, baby!

CHAROITS OF FIRE. It is the story of a missionary, and a jew, and their struggle to the olympic games. The missionary was extremely fast on his feet, and he loved to run. He was also a devout christian. He trained only for the 100 yard dash. When he got to the olympics they told that his race was scheduled on Sunday. As a christian he said he wouldn't run on the sabbath. They did say that he could run in the race that took place the following day. This race was 1 mile long. He never trained for the long distance. He entered the race and won. This missionary was killed several years later in China because he was a christian.

The other character was a jew, who had to fight anti-semitism to get to and stay in the games. He won. It was a movie that told of the struggle of these two men, who never raced against each other. It was long, and not to everyones taste.

God bless them both. The movie is still....sorry I dozed off there, must have been thinking about CHARIOTS OF FIRE.