SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

1,373 posts in this topic

Although it would be wonderful if Olivia de Havilland would be able to come to the Turner Classic Film Festival 2014, her age and her health will make it very difficult for her to travel, so I personally doubt she will attend, but we may have a video tribute from her or an interview with Robert Osborne. I would love for her to be there, WRJ, but it is unlikely.

Olivia mentioned in the interview article with Scott Feinberg that travel for her is increasingly difficult because it messes up her sleep patterns and takes months for it to return to normal.

It would be great if she could be there but, like Suex2, I think it will likely be via video.

b76188ea-c189-457c-8edd-d31b51b6d9e4_zps

December 6th, the Friday before the TCM Cruise, I was able to spend the day on the set with Ben Mankiewicz, and soon you will know all about it!

We never know when our next festival announcement is coming.

Stay tuned, and don't forget to have fun!

02bf5426-186b-44d8-a29a-360722244b27_zps

Merry Christmas to everybody from my alter ego, Mame Dennis Burnside!

Share your love, be generous with your hugs, smile more, worry less, and perform random acts of kindness every day of the year!

Blessings to you all during the holiday season! :-)

I wanted to share this lovely inteview with Joan Fontaine, initially posted by Facebook friend Lara on her personal page: http://www.tv3.cat/videos/4817891/Les-noies-intenten-riure-i-cuinar-com-Joan-Fontaine

image_zps79b40691.jpg

The initial article is written in French, but the interview is conducted in English. She even discusses Ted Turner, former CEO of Turner Broadcasting. Enjoy Joan's candid comments!

If you are interested in some Dueling Divas, you might want to check out my entry to the third annual Dueling Divas Blogathon. It's all about my favorite guilty pleasure, *The Opposite Sex (1956)* starring June Allyson, Joan Collins, Dolores Gray, Ann Sheridan, Ann Miller, Joan Blondell, and Jeff Richards. Maybe one day it will appear at the TCM Film Festival and Joan Collins will introduce it! :-)

Here's the link: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2013/12/22/that-darn-smack/#comment-163

76f1b4b3-e7e8-44a5-824a-1d9588e861f7_zps

I was lucky enough to spend the day with Ben Mankiewicz on the set of Turner Classic Movies in Atlanta. Read about my adventures here: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/

And find out who is paying attention to the TCM MESSAGE BOARDS! :-)

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!

Sue Sue:

Enjoyed the Joan Fontaine interview very much; the interviewer drew her out on a lot of different topics that I found enlightening. Sounds like you had a great time in Atlanta. Did you go on the cruise ?

Got my Essentials Pass. See you at the FF in April !

Happy New Year !

CinecrazyDC

Thank you, Cinecrazy! I haven't been able to go on any cruises because of job responsibilities and scheduling of the cruise, unfortunately. But I can always hope.

Atlanta was a great deal of fun, and I'll be posting "Part Two" soon.

See you in April at the premiere! (I think it might be *Mary Poppins*, but no one has confirmed that as of yet. If you notice the TCM December news, they promo *Saving Mr. Banks.* Wouldn't it be great if Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke AND Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were part of the celebration? But everyone is still awaiting the announcements.*)

*Last year's official announcement about the Gala Premiere Screening on Thursday night of the 2013 Festival appeared on November 1st. The next big announcements concerning the festival activities didn't occur until January 31st.

Yes, having Dick, Julie, Tom and Emma would be a real treat. I remember seeing Julie from the Blake Edwards tribute (2011?). I?m really going to have to see *Saving Mr. Banks* soon; I hear it?s good. And *Mary Poppins* as the opening would tie in nicely with the TCM ?family? theme this year.

BTW, as of mid-February I will no longer be Cinecrazy ?DC? I am moving to Denver, Colorado and will be leaving Mr. Mankiewicz's town (Frank, not Ben) likely forever. The Sr. Mr. ?M? will just have to soldier on without me, and I?m sure he?s been doing just fine on that up to this point.

I eagerly await TCM?s next announcement ? hopefully in the next couple of days !

Cinecrazy (for now) DC

Edited by: cinecrazydc on Dec 30, 2013 2:30 PM

Edited by: cinecrazydc on Dec 30, 2013 2:31 PM

Good luck on your move to Denver, Cinecrazy! See you in April...

If you have a chance, tonight, TCM is honoring stars we have lost from the pantheon this year:

Deanna Durbin in *It Started With Eve*

Annette Funicello in *Bikini Beach*

Eileen Brennan in *The Cheap Detective*

Jonathan Winter in *The Loved One*

Karen Black in *Five Easy Pieces*

Julie Harris in *East of Eden*

and John Kerr in *Tea and Sympathy*

Kingrat, I am not sure what the film will be, but that's my guess. Couldn't wrangle it out of anybody while I was in Atlanta! This holiday season has been so busy for me, I haven't been able to see any new films, but I plan on it this week. *Saving Mr. Banks* is #1 on my list.

Safe travels, Cinecrazy!

Happy New Year, Dear TCM Friends!

ab8b2c61-853e-4a55-bb42-2a3a7cd32238_zps

2010 Turner Classic Film Festival Guest Juanita Moore has passed away at the age of 99. Here's a link to the current ABC News Report: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/t/story/juanita-moore-oscar-nominated-actress-dead-99-21393848?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

10476dd5-aba3-4a36-80f5-e69b14aeb6b8_zps

Juanita Moore, Robert Osborne, and Susan Kohner

Moore graced the stage of the Egyptian Theatre for a discussion of Douglas Sirk's *Imitation of Life* with Susan Kohner as "Grace Under Pressure" host Robert Osborne fielded some surprising responses from Moore, who received a standing ovation from the appreciative crowd.

Both Moore and Kohner revealed many behind-the-scenes anecdotes at the 3:30 screening of the Lana Turner vehicle on Friday, April 23, of the 2010 festival. Audiences ignored the critics of 1959's *Imitation of Life* to make it Universal's most financially successful feature at that time. After the screening, Moore's grandson, actor Kirk Kellykahn, stated that he was working on a documentary of her life. Kellykahn is currently president and CEO of the Cambridge Players.

TCM Message Boards member Countess DeLave was seated next to Miss Moore during the Gala Premiere screening of *A Star is Born,* and recalls that her conversations with the actress were a delight because "Miss Moore was cheerful, kind, and had a very positive outlook on life."

2619ccd8-1867-4d82-87ac-32c37752a29a_zps

Rest in Peace, Dear Miss Juanita Moore.

Here's a link to my latest article about Alicia Rhett and the Gone With The WInd Museum: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/

f035bf6d-e9c8-4f00-92c4-a01b509218bb_zps

Anxious pass holders are still waiting for the next Turner Classic Film Festival 2014 update. Last year, we didn't find any more information out about the festival until January 31st!

Don't miss tomorrow evening's lineup:

*ROBERT OSBORNE: PRIVATE SCREENINGS*

MONDAY JANUARY, 6 2014 AT 08:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time; 7:00 PM Central

MONDAY JANUARY, 6 2014 AT 11:30 PM;10:30 PM Central

Here's the article in its entirety if you haven't seen it yet:

As the face of Turner Classic Movies, network host Robert Osborne has interviewed everyone from Debbie Reynolds and Mickey Rooney to producer Walter Mirisch and director Sidney Lumet as part of the network's original series of Private Screenings documentaries. Now, TCM turns the tables on Osborne, casting him as the subject of a very special Private Screenings. Emmy-winner Alec Baldwin, a friend of Osborne's and his co-host for three seasons of The Essentials, hosts this up close and personal look at the actor turned entertainment reporter. More than a tribute to one man, though, the special is a love letter to the classic movie experience.

Osborne has been TCM's primetime host since the network's launch in 1994. Even before then, however, his name was almost synonymous with classic film through his column in The Hollywood Reporter, his The Official History of the Academy Awards books and countless television appearances to talk about his favorite topic, Hollywood Golden Age. With his film history expertise and knack for getting unforgettable stories out of the screen legends he has interviewed, he is justly credited as one of the major reasons for TCM's ongoing success.

Private Screenings: Robert Osborne uses photographs from his personal collection, rare shots of his early acting work (including the pilot for The Beverly Hillbillies and the daytime drama The Young Marrieds) and clips from his many appearances on TCM and other networks to capture his love of movies. Among the highlights are some of his favorite interviews from the Private Screenings series, including Betty Hutton opening up as never before because of her affection for Osborne, Robert Mitchum stone-walling his every question and Mickey Rooney getting carried away with anger as he describes being poorly treated by a director over 50 years ago. The special also includes tributes from some of the stars who have become his friends -- including Liza Minnelli, Jane Powell, Robert Wagner and Eva Marie Saint -- and the kind of banter between Osborne and Baldwin that made their appearances on The Essentials fan favorites.

Osborne grew up in Colfax, a small town in Washington, the son of a geography and history teacher. He fell in love with the movies early on, eventually working for both theatres in Colfax. His parents encouraged his interest in show business as long as he got an education that gave him something to fall back on, so he studied journalism in college, a choice that would help put him in the right place at the right time when TCM came along.

Luck is the one factor Osborne credits with his success. While serving in the Air Force in Seattle, he did little theatre at night. One of his roles was the lead in Night Must Fall with guest artist Jane Darwell. She encouraged him to come to Hollywood and even put him up in her guesthouse during his early years there. A visit to thank the producers and directors of a TV Western on which he had guested resulted in an interview with Lucille Ball and a contract with her Desilu Productions. Ball took a liking to the young actor and frequently invited him to her home, where she would screen her movies and TV episodes, all the while commenting on what had worked and what hadn't -- a rare chance to learn filmmaking from one of the industry's best. She also took him to the theatre and nightclubs, introducing him to such luminaries as Bette Davis and Marlene Dietrich. It was Ball who convinced him to switch from acting to show business reporting, convinced his love of classic Hollywood would make him the perfect choice to write about the movie industry.

Osborne's luck continued, aided by his ability to connect with Hollywood legends like Olivia de Havilland and Dorothy Lamour. Through the former, he met one of the director's of Dinah Shore's popular talk show, which led to his first television appearances to discuss Hollywood. The latter invited him to a lunch with American Movie Channel executive Brad Siegel, who was so impressed with Osborne's expertise he invited him to sign on as daytime host for AMC. Before that could happen, however, Siegel moved to Turner Broadcasting to help launch TCM and hired Osborne as the network's primetime host.

TCM's peerless library of vintage MGM, Warner Bros. and RKO films has provided the perfect platform from which Osborne can share his love of old movies. To him, there is something magical about the way films from decades past can still move audiences today, whether on television, through home entertainment centers or through screenings like those he hosts for TCM around the country, on the TCM Movie Cruise and at the TCM Film Festival in Hollywood. In his own words, "These sections of time spliced together, running through a machine can have an effect on people that you're talking about it all these years later....That's the miracle of the movies. That that could last." Cast: Alec Baldwin (Host), Robert Osborne, Robert Wagner, Jane Powell, Barbara Rush, Liza Minnelli, Dianne Baker, Mariette Hartley, Eva Marie Saint, Chita Rivera, Joel Grey, (Themselves)

By Frank Miller

Don't Miss My Latest Article , "REMEMBERING ALICIA RHETT AT THE GONE WITH THE WIND MUSEUM": http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/

TCM Host Robert Osborne will appear at the National Portrait Gallery on March 12, 2014, to introduce a screening of 1934's *Flying Down to Rio* :http://bit.ly/1kqR1ET

So one of TCM's National Treasures appears at the National Portrait Gallery for a wine reception prior to an introductory chat with historian Amy Henderson. Thanks to DuvallC for the information!

According to all the comments I've read on websites and Facebook pages, The Private Screenings Interview with TCM Host Robert Osborne conducted by Alec Baldwin was a fabulous success as many of the viewers want it to be aired again in the near future. Congratulations, TCM, on a fabulous program!

SueX2,

The Robert O *Private Screening* will get an encore broadcast on April 14th, the 20th anniversary of the day TCM debuted. It will be on at 9:00 PST/Midnight EST following the broadcast of *Gone With the Wind*.

The films that evening are the same titles that the channel debuted with back in 1994.

Robert O's interview was just terrific and it's great to see TCM rebroadcasting as part of their anniversary celebration.

I know so many viewers will enjoy the Private Screenings with Robert Osborne again, lzcutter!

Well, we haven't had an official announcement since December 5th, but we do know for sure that composer Carl Davis and impresario QuincyJones will be in attendance at several events according to the last official announcement:

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will pay tribute to one of the entertainment industry's most celebrated figures ? Quincy Jones ? during the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival next spring. Jones will make multiple appearances during the festival, including a 50th anniversary screening of Sidney Lumet's powerful drama *The Pawnbroker* (1964), which marked Jones' debut as a film composer. Marking its fifth year, the TCM Classic Film Festival will take place April 10-13, 2014, in Hollywood. The star-studded event will coincide with TCM's 20th anniversary as a leading authority in classic film.

In addition to the Quincy Jones tribute, the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival will feature three world premiere restorations. The slate includes two movies considered to be among the greatest films noir ever made: Billy Wilder's *Double Indemnity* (1944), which will be celebrating its 70th anniversary, and Orson Welles' *Touch of Evil* (1958). Also joining the festival lineup is the world premiere restoration of William Wyler's Best Picture Oscar? winner *The Best Years of Our Lives* (1946).

Previously announced films on the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival lineup

include the recently restored *Gone with the Wind* (1939) and a presentation of *The Wizard of Oz* (1939) in its stunning new IMAX? 3D format. Both films are celebrating their 75th anniversaries in 2014. The festival will also include a screening of the Harold Lloyd comedy classic *Why Worry?* (1923), with legendary silent-film composer Carl Davis conducting the live world premiere performance of his new original score.

What else do we know for sure? Barbara Streisand won't be here. Again.

Just heard from Genevieve McGillicuddy at TCM, and she told me that an updated Turner Classic Film Festival 2014 announcement is coming "by the end of the month."

b7fbc8b6-b74b-4802-837e-15af097c9455_zps

Senior Researcher Alexa Foreman lunches with TCM Host Robert Osborne today in the TCM Commissary in Atlanta...

(Photo Courtesy of TCM)

Happy Birthday to TCM Message Board Member Izcutter! Her expertise about all things LA, where to go, what to do, and Classic Film always keep us well-informed!

0c47a855-4b6a-4e24-bcac-df925e314b79_zps

Joel sends his regards!