SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

1,131 posts in this topic

I am thoroughly enjoying Denny Miller's Q & A at *The Silver Screen Oasisl*

He's been answering questions about Katharine Hepburn, George Cukor, Chris McIntire, Jeanette Nolan, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Vincent Minnelli, and his experiences making *Wagon Train* ! What a perfect guest for the National Day of the Cowboy!

Miller_Denny.gif

Follow this link to read all about it:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=5858Maybe he might be invited to next year's TCMFF 2013!

Tarzan_and_the_Amazons_1945.jpg

I can remember watching *Tarzan and the Amazons* with great anticipation. Maybe it was that I was only 11 and kept hearing the word Amazon crop up in conversations having to do with my height. Maybe it was that I so enjoyed all the Tarzan movies, and Edgar Rice Burroughs' stories and novels.

But I do remember being spellbound by Maria Ouspenskaya and waiting for her to pronounce that all would be spared. (I am watching her right now.) She looked so Egyptian in her frock and headdress, but ultimately superior to all she surveyed. I can remember sitting in front of the massive television set, wanted to wear leopard skins, carry a spear, and organize all those gold bracelets on my arms for dramatic effect.

And everytime Johnny Sheffield would be in trouble, it would make me tear up. He was so cute and adorable. How could anything evil befall such an unpretentious lad?

Jungle_Jim_in_Pygmy_Island_1950-1.jpg

But the highlight of all this Saturday devotion occurred in 1962 when I met Johnny Weissmuller in New Orleans. He was elegantly decked out in his Jungle Jim attire, a leopard-skin accent on his wide-brimmed hat, and was shaking hands, visiting with children, and signing autographs. I remember him taking out the huge, shiny knife and telling us that even thought it was pretty and shiny, that we should never use a knife like this unless our parents were with us because it was so dangerous. He was kind to the children and adults who had come to pay homage to one of our favorite screen heroes, and he was smiling and laughing. That's how I will always remember him!

JW-1.jpg

I am thoroughly enjoying this Saturday's TCM lineup. Maybe a classic Tarzan film will be on the schedule at the next TCM Film Festival!

Dear Cinemaaaaaaaaaaven! Thanks for stopping by! Hope all is well in your "neck of the woods." Just been enjoying Deborah Kerr films all day long. I love Summer Under The Stars. It's been wonderful.

Can't wait for TCMFF 2013!

I just had a thought about the Kennedy Center Honors, and I have just recommended Debbie Reynolds for a position on the Honors list. If you feel the same way, go to their facebook page and recommend her: https://www.facebook.com/KennedyCenter

"I may have a nose full of splinters, but it's all good wood!" (Molly Brown)

how_the_west_was_won.jpg

One of the most exciting events at the Turner Classic Movie Festival 2012 opened the doors to the Cinerama Dome on Sunday, April 15, and included an introduction by Robert Osborne and the animated Debbie Reynolds to *How The West Was Won.* A film suggested by the *Life* magazine series, "How The West Was Won," the enormous script, ultimately credited to James R. Webb, with uncredited supplemental material by John Gay, had four major directors, Henry Hathaway, John Ford, George Marshall, and Richard Thorpe. Six second unit directors were also employed for the many location shoots, and narration by Spencer Tracy added to its credibility.

As always the dapper and personable TCM host, Osborne's tentative restlessness during his introduction with Reynolds belies the fact that he knew Debbie Reynolds just might say and do anything, and audience members could tell he was stepping into uncharted "Debbie" territory. Recalling her exciting experiences and revelling in the unusual circumstances of filming such an enormous project, she laughed and remembered Peck with a smile and a wink, and seemed to relish working with legendary queen of the quips, Thelma Ritter.

I traveled to the event with a dear friend, David from Seattle. Luckily, he understood my enthusiasm and excitement for the screening of *How The West Was Won* , as I hummed the theme song on and off for an hour before the film started. I originally saw the film during it's re-release in Houston, Texas, and the event meant a return to seeing the colorful, energetic story. The directorial duties were immense, and the vast physical expanse mingled with uncertain elements like herds of buffalo, trains wrecks, and desert climes only added to the accomplishments of location shooting by several directors, both first and second units. The original score by Alfred Newman accentuated the broad strokes of the film canvas and added to the thunderous feel of the buffalo stampedes and runaway trains.

how_the_west_was_won_screen_1.jpg

Thelma Ritter's salty language, repeated by Debbie Reynolds, is certainly understandable considering the treacherous, harrowing circumstances of the shoot-- a runaway wagon, bulky costumes, and attention to the emoting of a climactic action scene filmed with horses, wagons, guns, and arrows. The initial portion of the film dedicated itself to the love stories of the two Prescott sisters, Debbie Reynolds and Carroll Baker.

Debbie.jpg

Reynolds character, Lillith , falls in love with a gambler with the Celtic gift of gab, Cleave Van Valen, portrayed by Gregory Peck, on the long wagon trail to an exhausted gold mine, and impresses Aggie, Lillith's traveling companion (Thelma Ritter), by telling her what beautiful hair she has, and how he would hate to see it hanging on a lodgepole. Baker's character, Eve, falls in love with a wandering mountain man, Linus Rawlings , acted by Jimmy Stewart, who always feels he will be "going to see the varmint," but because he loves Eve so much, decides to settle on a farm by a river in Ohio.

With literally a cast of thousands that also included John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, Karl Malden, George Peppard, Agnes Morehead, Eli Wallach, Carolyn Jones, Harry Morgan, Andy Devine,Robert Preston, Walter Brennan, and Richard Widmark, the film encompasses a time of frontier struggle with awe-inspiring vistas.

mythreesons.jpg

Fred MacMurray, Stanley Livingston, Don Grady, Barry Livingston, and William Demarest

Stanley Livingston, who portrays Zeb Rawlings' (George Peppard's) son, Prescott Rawlings, and is also remembered as adorable Chip Douglas on *My Three Sons*, was a member of the audience and was introduced by Robert Osborne to the TCMFF fans attending the *How The West Was Won* Cinerama extravaganza, and received a big round of applause. Currently he is involved in the current Cinerama project, *In The Picture*.

And more breaking news from Stanley Livingston:

RE: CINERAMA FILM - "IN THE PICTURE"

My latest project... "IN THE PICTURE" - is a CINERAMA Film that is scheduled to premier at and open THE 2012 CINERAMA FILM FESTIVAL in HOLLYWOOD (Los Angeles, CA) September 28, 2012 at 10:00 am. The 2012 Cinerama Film Festival runs from September 28th thru October 4th, 2012 at THE ARCLIGHT CINEMAS & HISTORIC CINERAMA DOME theater complex in Hollywood. "In The Picture" will be screened a second time on SEPTEMBER 30th at 8:15 pm along with the first Cinerama film, "THIS IS CINERAMA".

"IN THE PICTURE" is the first film to be shot in the original "3-Strip 35mm widescreen process" in over 50 years. The last film to shot and released in CINERAMA was "HOW THE WEST WAS WON" (which I also appeared in back in 1962).

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT "IN THE PICTURE" & THE CINERAMA FILM FESTIVAL at the ARCLIGHT CINEMAS & HISTORIC CINERAMA DOME:

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/news/promotion-cinerama?promo=spotlightM2

TO SEE A SHORT DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE MAKING OF "IN THE PICTURE" THAT

WAS SHOT DURING THE PRODUCTION:

TO SEE THE FINAL SCENE IN "HOW THE WEST WAS WON" (with yours truly,

George Peppard, Carolyn Jones and Debbie Reynolds):

*And, BTW...*

*IF YOU WANT TO SEE HOW ADORABLE STANLEY LIVINGSTON IS NOW THAT HE'S ALL GROWN UP OR JUST WANT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT HIS INVOLVEMENT IN "IN THE PICTURE," FOLLOW THIS LINK:*

http://www.StanleyLivingston.com/

Festival Passholders, some of whom are members of the TCM Message Boards, are also featured in *In The Picture.*

*And don't forget to go to the Kennedy Center Facebook page and let them know that you think Debbie Reynolds is a "National Treasure," and should be included in this year's honors!*

*https://www.facebook.com/KennedyCenter*

ROBERTOSBORNE.jpg

Robert Osborne takes some well-deserved R & R starting August 30th, and Ben Mankiewicz will be hosting in the evenings. Take care of yourself, Mr. Osborne! And thanks, Ben, for filling in.

I just reviewed last year's announcement date--September 28. Maybe we should expect an announcement around the same time this year?

TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL 2013---APRIL ?? to ?? , 2013.

Stay tuned!

The December 2 gala will pay tribute to blues musician Buddy Guy, actor Dustin Hoffman, late-night host David Letterman, dancer Natalia Makarova, and British rock band Led Zeppelin (Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones will receive the honors in person).

To read more about this year's presentations, follow this link:

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/afterhours/miscellaneous/kennedy-center-honors-recipients-for-2012-announced.php

It's official! The TCM Film Fest 2013 occurs Thursday, April 25 through Sunday, April 28.

A Superior Deluxe room at the Hollywood Roosevelt is $225 a night, and a Double Deluxe room is $275. These price listings are special rates for the festival.

The Hollywood Roosevelt: 1-800-950-7667

Rooms are also available at Loew's Hollywood Hotel (formerly the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel) located in the Hollywood & Highland Center, and their reservation hotline is 1-800-235-6397.

For more general information about the festival, follow this link: http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/TCM/Files/Dynamic/i172/roadtohollywoodannouncement_092420120433.pdf

For more general information about accomodations, follow this link:

http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/TCM/Files/Dynamic/i172/2013lodging_092420120843.pdf

FYI: This announcement comes three days earlier than last year's, and Spotlight passes are now $1,599 and a new level of pass has been added this year, the "Palace" level festival pass, at $249.

What's our theme this year? *Cinematic Journeys: Travel in the Movies!*

h2. A Note from Robert Osborne to his fans

robertosborne_pr_100x148_050220111246.jp If you've noticed some slight changes around TCM lately, let me explain. It has to do with something I became aware of for the first time last year: the word "vacation." Lovely word. And there's a reason it hadn't been a part of my vocabulary earlier during the past 18 years at Turner. Ever since I started doing movie intros for TCM back in April of 1994, taking a bona fide vacation never seemed necessary. My primary responsibility at the channel was hosting four prime time movies per night, seven nights a week--a pure pleasure for me. Easy to do, too, since during TCM's first few years in existence, we had a taping structure that allowed me get the required work done and be able to take a month's hiatus every year, without interrupting the flow of my being on air.

However, the more popular the channel has become, the more there has been to do. First, we added the Private Screenings series. Then, the Guest Programmer franchise. Then extras such as co-hosting specials with people like Priscilla Presley about Elvis, Stephen Bogart about his dad, Robert Morse about composer Frank Loesser and myriad others. Then we began our once a year Race in Hollywood series, and added promotional screenings in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Cleveland, Seattle, Atlanta and elsewhere around the country. I started making "Movie Night" appearances with Symphony Orchestras in Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, at the Hollywood Bowl in California, Tanglewood (with John Williams) in Lenox, Massachusetts, Wolf Trap near Washington D.C. and other venues. Added into all that came two particular biggies--both enormously fun but also events that require extra time and focus: our yearly TCM Classic Film Festival and the TCM Classic Cruise.

You see where this is going. I thoroughly enjoy it all, and having the chance to interact with TCM watchers, but the slate has become so full there's been less and less time to catch a breath. (Those month-long hiatus periods we used to have in the early days went bye-bye long ago.) That's why in 2011, for the first time in 18 years, I took a bona fide vacation; I did again this September. (And, by the way, I really appreciate the letters and emails to our website that you noticed I was briefly missing in action.) But--from here on--I'm going to be following a new schedule on the channel, one which will give me a chance to occasionally sleep and stay as healthy as possible while also participating in many of those Turner Classic Movies adventures like our TCM Classic Cruise this coming January, the TCM Classic Film Festival the following April and other activities as well. (Mixing into all this, I've also taken on another job: updating my history of the Oscars for the Academy in Hollywood, a book which will be published next year by the Academy and Abbeyville Press, "85 Years of the Oscar.")

So now the plan is this: I'll still be hosting prime time movies six nights a week, every Monday thru Thursday, but taking Friday nights off. Ben Mankiewicz will initially step in, until, in early 2013, there will be a series of guest movie experts presenting special Friday night screenings. Every Saturday night, I'll continue hosting The Essentials with Drew Barrymore, at 8 pm Eastern (Drew is joining me throughout the 2013-14 season as well). Each Sunday night, I'll be at my regular spot hosting the movies at 8 pm and 10 pm Eastern. It's a schedule that lessens my on-air work load to a degree that makes it very comfortable and do-able for me, and one I hope you'll find agreeable as well. You'll be seeing more news about all this as things take shape in the coming months. I just wanted you to know.

Robert O.

Recent headlines from the Associated Press:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A publicist says Debbie Reynolds has been hospitalized and is canceling upcoming appearances after suffering an adverse reaction to medication.

Reynolds' publicist Kevin Sasaki says the singer-actress was hospitalized in Los Angeles after having the bad reaction. She is canceling shows and appearances through the end of the year.

Reynolds is famous for her role in "Singin' in the Rain" and earned an Oscar nomination for her gutsy character in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown."

And a recent update courtesy of USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/2012/10/10/debbie-reynolds-hospitalized-in-los-angeles/1624947/

Reynolds is at home now, and doing "a little better" according to her spokesperson, Margie Duncan.

The 80-year-old performs numerous shows and makes appearances each year. She is scheduled to appear on a float promoting pet adoption in the upcoming Rose Parade.

Last year, Reynolds sold her collection of film memorabilia, including dresses worn by Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, for nearly $23 million.

Debbie Reynolds Online Update: Initially, Debbie's representative stated that she would be canceling her engagements for the next three months, but following her release from the hospital on Wednesday (Oct. 10), her manager says that may not be the case.

"We are taking a wait and see position regarding future personal appearances and will abide by the doctor's advice," he says.

Margie Duncan, who works with Reynolds, says she "just needs to take it easy for awhile."

For my friends who were actors and extras enlisted during the filming of *In The Picture*, directed by Dave Strohmaier, at the TCMFF 2012:

Just found this review by Leonard Maltin of *In The Picture* , directed by Dave Strohmaier on actor/director/producer Stanley Livingston's official webpage:

IMG_0219.jpg

Cinerama camera in the lobby of the Cinerama Dome prior to the April screening of *How The West Was Won.* (For some reason, the site is not allowing me to resize the photo, but the camera is huge, so it does make it seem more realistic!)

I was able to spend thirty minutes or so visiting with director Dave Strohmaier prior to the TCMFF 2012 screening of *How The West Was Won*, and his informative explanations of the process, the restored cameras, and his enthusiasm for the Cinerama process was inspiring.

marilyn.jpg

Photo By Motion Picture © 1955 Charles K. Feldman Group Productions. Renewed 1983 Charles K. Feldman Group.

*Victoria and Albert Museum Puts*

*the Spotlight on Hollywood...*

*By Rosemary Feitelberg*

Women's Wear Daily

Unlikely as it might sound, Meryl Streep helped track down Marilyn Monroe’s ivory halter dress from “The Seven Year Itch” as a last-minute addition to the Victoria and Albert Museum’s upcoming “Hollywood Costume” exhibition.

Perhaps more widely recognized as the billowing, thigh-baring number that Monroe wore standing above a New York City subway grate, the Travilla design hung in a number of different closets before making its way to London. Twentieth Century Fox, which produced the 1955 film, auctioned the scene-stealing dress and thousands of other props and costumes from the movie in 1971. At that time, American actress Debbie Reynolds bought the dress to add to her extensive costume collection.

Fast forward nearly four decades to 2009, when a V&A team paid a visit to Reynolds’ son’s California ranch, which also served as a storage facility. During that visit, senior guest curator Deborah Nadoolman Landis and assistant curator Keith Lodwick lined up the Travilla dress and other standout pieces for “Hollywood Costume,” which bows Saturday.

But that plan went up in smoke in December 2010, when Reynolds revealed plans to sell the ivory dress and other key pieces from her private stock at auction the following year. Landis was in the crowd at that “Profiles in History” sale, when the dress went for a record-breaking $4.6 million bid — $5.52 million with taxes and fees.

She and the rest of the V&A team then kept tabs on the whereabouts of the Reynolds costumes as they were dispersed among international collectors. This is where Streep stepped onto the scene.

After being interviewed by Landis for “Hollywood Costume,” the Academy Award-winning actress asked the curator if she had secured everything she wanted for the show. The guest curator told Streep about the post-Reynolds auction search and Streep offered to get in on the treasure hunt. The actress later arranged for Landis and her associates to contact the current owner, who agreed to lend the iconic dress.

Landis said “Hollywood Costume” would be incomplete without it. “Filmmaker Billy Wilder, with his sly humor, used the summer New York heat to create a comedic and sexy scene that became the lasting image of Marilyn Monroe,” she said.

The heavy crepe cocktail dress was an of-the-moment look in the Fifties. Travilla’s take is made of two pieces of pleated fabric that came together behind the neck, leaving the arms, shoulders and back bare. A narrow belt wrapped around Monroe’s torso, crisscrossing in the front and tied into a small bow on the front left side. Travilla made a point of using rayon crepe to ensure the dress would swing, sway and lift in a breeze.

A few other marquee looks from Reynolds’ collection have been retrieved, including the Adrian-designed waitress uniform Joan Crawford wore in “Mildred Pierce”; the Peacock feather dress Edith Head dreamt up for Hedy Lamarr in “Samson & Delilah,” and Irene Sharaff’s gold gown for Barbra Streisand in “Hello Dolly.”

A big gracias to Meryl Streep and the perseverance of Deborah Nadoolman Landis, a Turner Classic Movies Film Fesival 2012 presenter, and curator of the Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition entitled "Hollywood Costume," from October 20-January 27, 2013.

To read more about the exhibit, follow this link:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-hollywood-costume/

And we all hope Debbie gets well soon!

I hope everyone has been able to enjoy *THE CINERAMA ADVENTURE* and *THIS IS CINERAMA* ! I especially enjoyed the Venetian Interlude in *THIS IS CINERAMA* and the behind-the-scenes stories from cast and crew of *HOW THE WEST WAS WON* .

nosferatu.jpg

Photo of F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu (1922) courtesy of San Francisco Sentinel Archives

After we've all been tingled, frightened, afraid, scintillated and savaged by the spooky October screenings on TCM, I realized something is just around the corner, and it's not Christmas I'm pondering. At least not yet.

I've been doing a little research, and it seems that, according to my information, passes for the Turner Classic Film Festival 2012 went on sale on Wednesday, November 9, 2011. Spotlight passes were sold out by 4 p.m. that afternoon, and Essential passes were sold out on Wednesday, November 16, 2011, by 6:10 pm. (CST)

So stay tuned if you plan to join the fun April 25-28 at the historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in 2013! Announcements could pop up in your favorite email accounts at anytime. You can also stalk the announcements by following this link: http://www.tcm.com/festival/

Passes go on sale November 15 at 12 PM ET!

Gala Screening of Newly Restored Funny Girl (1968) To Launch Fourth Annual TCM Classic Film Festival

Vanity Fair Returns for Fourth Year as Festival Partner and Co-Presenter of Opening Night After-Party

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will open the 2013 edition of the TCM Classic Film Festival with the world premiere of a brand new restoration of the musical classic Funny Girl (1968). TCM’s own Robert Osborne, who serves as official host for the festival, will introduce Funny Girl to kick off the four-day, star-studded event taking place Thursday, April 25 – Sunday, April 28, 2013, in Hollywood. In addition to Funny Girl, the TCM Classic Film Festival will feature world premiere restorations of The General (1926), Giant (1956) and The Great Escape (1962), with many additional titles to be announced later.

Passes for the 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival are set to go on sale to the public Thursday, Nov. 15, at noon (ET). Passes can be purchased exclusively through the official festival website: http://www.tcm.com/festival.

Also announced today, Vanity Fair will serve as official partner for the TCM Classic Film Festival for the fourth consecutive year. Vanity Fair will co-present the after-party following the gala opening-night screening of Funny Girl.

Restored in 4K from the original camera negative by Sony Pictures Colorworks in celebration of its 45th anniversary, Funny Girl stars Barbra Streisand in her Oscar®-winning performance as Ziegfeld Follies comedienne Fanny Brice. Omar Sharif co-stars as high-rolling entrepreneur Nicky Arnstein, with Hollywood veteran William Wyler in the director's chair. Adapted from the popular Broadway musical that earned Streisand a Tony nomination, Funny Girl features a score by Jule Styne and Bob Merrill. Among the many memorable songs featured are "People" and "Don't Rain on My Parade," both of which became signature Streisand hits.

Among the first films slated for the 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival are three perennial favorites to be screened for the first time ever in restored editions:

• The General (1926) – World Premiere Restoration

Buster Keaton's timeless Civil War comedy returns in a newly restored edition presented with a live score written and performed by the Alloy Orchestra. For this restoration, The General was scanned from the original nitrate camera negative and restored through the collaborative efforts of the Cohen Film Collective, the Library of Congress Packard Campus for Audio-Visual Conservation and TCM.

• Giant (1956) – World Premiere Restoration

George Stevens directed this sprawling adaptation of Edna Ferber's Texas saga starring Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and James Dean. This 4K restoration from the original camera negative was completed by Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging under the direction of George Stevens Jr.

• The Great Escape (1963) – World Premiere of 50th Anniversary Restoration

Steve McQueen heads an all-star cast in this blockbuster World War II tale based on actual events. The Great Escape was restored by Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios at Deluxe Digital Media using a 4K scan of the original camera negative.

For the full update announcement, follow this link:

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/_pdf/TCM_Festival_SaleAnnouncement.pdf