SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

1,346 posts in this topic

f00506bd-bed8-4894-a970-213fefff2f65_zps

Photo courtesy of Doris Day and People Magazine...

Doris Day attends her 90th birthday celebration! Here's my latest Examiner article about the event: http://www.examiner.com/article/actress-doris-day-attends-her-birthday-party-carmel-by-the-sea

It is fabulous news about one of our favorite film stars.

Glad to be back on the boards again, and thanks to all the administrators and moderators who have helped make this a dream come true! I love the new, sleeker look.

f00506bd-bed8-4894-a970-213fefff2f65_zps

Photo courtesy of Doris Day and People Magazine...

Doris Day attends her 90th birthday celebration! Here's my latest Examiner article about the event: http://www.examiner.com/article/actress-doris-day-attends-her-birthday-party-carmel-by-the-sea

It is fabulous news about one of our favorite film stars.

Glad to be back on the boards again, and thanks to all the administrators and moderators who have helped make this a dream come true! I love the new, sleeker look.

Suex2,

Doris looks great! So glad she seems happy and enjoying her life. Though many wish she would less reclusive and do more in person interviews, she seems to have put that part of her life behind her and is enjoying the life she has now. She seems to enjoy popping up in the public eye from time to time these days, so who knows!

But, as we have learned over the years, film fans should never say never.  :D

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your lovely comment! I love the avatar that you have created in honor of Kyle in Hollywood. Will his threads be archived on our new Message Boards? I hope so. He did so much to further the appreciation of Turner Classic Movies and the discussions of classic film on the TCM Message Boards.

I am pleased that Doris Day attended her 90th birthday celebration, and it was such a special and unexpected treat for her fans in attendance in Carmel-by-the-Sea. All proceeds, or a large portion of them, will support the Doris Day Animal Foundation.

And here's a lovely photo that actress Jackie-Joseph Lawrence shared on one of her social media timelines of friend Doris Day applauding events at her 90th birthday celebration. Thanks to author of Lee Marvin: Point Blank, Dwayne Epstein, for sharing this with me...736614db-591b-40b1-9c7e-0eb4b62cf91d_zps

• Like 2

imagejpg1_zpsb1d6395f.jpg

Actor Jason Lee has just been added to the festival Special Guests page, and he'll introduce "City Lights" at 9:15 on Saturday morning in the Chinese Mutliplex 1.

And here's a lovely photo that actress Jackie-Joseph Lawrence shared on one of her social media timelines of friend Doris Day applauding events at her 90th birthday celebration. Thanks to author of Lee Marvin: Point Blank, Dwayne Epstein, for sharing this with me...736614db-591b-40b1-9c7e-0eb4b62cf91d_zps

Thank you for posting the photo here.  Such a sweet lady-- hope we are discussing her 100th in ten years!

• Like 1

Me, too! Doris Day could sing, act, dance, and entertain, and was one of the most prolific pop vocalists who also had a lengthy film and television career.

imagejpg1_zps1782e049.jpg

I am grateful that actress Jackie Joseph-Lawrence, who also has had a lengthy entertainment career, was part of the celebration, and shared the lovely photo with everyone. Joseph-Lawrence was a regular on "The Doris Day Show," and currently is scheduled to appear in a television movie this year, "All I want for Christmas."

cb787014-5254-47bf-8364-447b52bd298d_zps

Here's another image I've found on social media of Doris Day at her 90th birthday celebration at the Quail Lodge and Golf Club in Carmel-by-the-Sea Friday night. She looks as sweet as ever!

And if you love Doris Day, listen to her interview with TCM's legendary host, Robert Osborne, here: http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/966042/Robert-Osborne-Interviews-Doris-Day-TCM-Original-.html

• Like 1

The 20th Anniversary Guest Programmers are coming April 7-11!

Monday, April 7

8 p.m. The Naked City (1948) – Co-hosted by TCM Ultimate Fan Contest Winner Tiffany Vazquez (New York, N.Y.)

9:45 p.m. A Face in the Crowd (1957) – Co-hosted by Craig Shemin (New York, N.Y.)

Midnight Show People (1928) – Co-hosted by Michelle Curtis (Winter Garden, Fla.)

1:30 a.m. Them! (1954) – Co-hosted by Steve Hayes (New York, N.Y.)

Tuesday, April 8

8 p.m. The Catered Affair (1956) – Co-hosted by Pat Hill-Yandell (Plano, Texas)

9:45 p.m. Witness for the Prosecution (1958) – Co-hosted by Dominique Breckinridge (Plano, Texas)

Midnight Modern Times (1936) – Co-hosted by Shane Fleming (New York, N.Y.)

1:45 a.m. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) – Co-hosted by Whitney Matheson (New York, N.Y.)

Wednesday, April 9

8 p.m. Waterloo Bridge (1940) – Co-hosted by Stefanie Del Papa (Miami, Fla.)

10 p.m. The Philadelphia Story (1940) – Co-hosted by Kim McShane (Tallahassee, Fla.)

Midnight TCM Premiere: Went the Day Well? (1942) – Co-hosted by Glenn Taranto (Culver City, Calif.)

1:45 a.m. 12 Angry Men (1957) – Co-hosted by Onalee McGraw (Front Royal, Va.)

Thursday, April 10

8 p.m. Young at Heart (1955) – Co-hosted by Hannah Kass (New York, N.Y.)

10:15 p.m. TCM Premiere: A Man Called Adam (1966) – Co-hosted by Petri Hawkins Byrd, Judge Judy's bailiff (Elk Grove, Calif.)

Midnight The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) – Co-hosted by Matt Roush, TV Guide critic (Los Angeles, Calif.)

2:15 a.m. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) – Co-hosted by Robert Best (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Friday, April 11

8 p.m. Summer Stock (1950) – Co-hosted by Sara Harmon (Wichita, Kan.)

10 p.m. Sunday in New York (1963) – Co-hosted by Laura Ackerman Pauzé (Granville, Ohio)

Midnight The Nights of Cabiria (1957) – Co-hosted by Alberto Ferreras (New York, N.Y.)

2:15 a.m. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) – Co-hosted by Peter Tulba (New York, N.Y.)

Here are some links to articles I've written about the Guest Programmers...

Shane Fleming, TCM's Youngest Guest Programmer, is so energetic and knowledgeable about film: http://www.examiner.com/article/tcm-s-y ... programmer

Actor Glenn Taranto:http://www.examiner.com/article/actor-glenn-taranto-is-a-tcm-guest-programmer

Six programmers and their originally submitted videos:

http://www.examiner.com/article/tcm-s-2 ... rogrammers

And I was so interested in all the films that were chosen by Guest Programmers, that I compiled a list: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/20 ... n-contest/

Do you dare enter THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT ?

image_zps7da5b2e6.jpg

The lovely Paula Prentiss...

Prentiss and Spaeth reunite at Turner Classic Film Festival 2014

Actresses Paula Prentiss and Merrie Spaeth haven't seen each other since the filming of the official US Cannes Film Festival entry in 1964, The World of Henry Orient, in New York City.

On Friday, April 11, both women will reunite and introduce the film at 12:15 p.m. in The Chinese Multiplex 6 located on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles and will reminisce about the production of The World of Henry Orient, directed by George Roy Hill.

image_zpsddad9b89.jpg

Peter Sellers takes an important call....

The Ericofon Sellers uses in the film was made by Ericsson of Sweden, and Bell Telephone had to approve its use because of the Bell monopoly in the US. Bell Telephone felt so threatened by its unusually sleek design that it created the 'Trimline' phone to monopolize on the design here in the US.

When a world famous concert pianist is having an illicit affair with a married woman, he is being pursued by two teenage fans whom he mistakenly believes to be spies sent by the husband of his lover. Often called one of Hill's masterpieces by fans, The World of Henry Orient was nominated for a Golden Globe as "Best Film, Musical or Comedy" and the script was also nominated as best comedy by the Writer's Guild of America in 1965.

image_zps0819f781.jpg

Merrie Spaeth, Peter Sellers and Tippy Walker...

Actor Peter Sellers portrays the main character, Henry Orient, and screenwriter Nora Johnson, and her father, veteran scenarist Nunally Johnson crafted a story from Nora Johnson's novel of the same name that reverberated with the desires of female teenagers to be close to their idols. Concert pianist and actor Oscar Levant (whose last name translates into 'orient' in French) was the original inspiration for Nora Johnson's novel. Merrie Spaeth, as Marian "Gil" Gilbert, and Tippy Walker as Valerie "Val" Campbell Boyd follow their idol all over New York. Paula Prentiss (Where The Boys Are, Man's Favorite Sport, In Harm's Way) plays Stella Dunnsworthy, a woman having an affair with Henry Orient.

image_zps39c4aa7f.jpg

Merrie Spaeth's only film was The World of Henry Orient, and she has developed a unique background in media, government, politics, business and entertainment. She is a pioneer in communication theory, executive training and coaching, and was a speech writer for the White House. Spaeth is acknowledged as one of the most influential communication counselors in the world.

7fa4aa19-48a7-4c39-9df1-82c20ce814db_zps

Spaeth has coached thousands of executives who want to become more effective communicators, improve their presentation skills and ultimately expand their leadership capabilities. She gives clients a proven approach to communication and teaches them how to structure remarks and presentations to take their careers to a higher level. Her clients include Fortune 500 C-suite executives who have adopted the Spaeth approach for themselves and their global organizations as well as entrepreneurs, academic gurus, politicians and many others.

Spaeth was a White House Fellow assigned to FBI Director William Webster. She then served two years as director of public affairs for the Federal Trade Commission, and in 1983, President Reagan appointed her Director of Media Relations at the White House where she introduced satellite interviews and created the electronic White House News Service. In 1987, she founded Spaeth Communications, Inc., which provides strategic communication counseling and training for a wide range of individuals, companies and institutions.

image_zps8ecaaeff.jpg

Tippy Walker and Merrie Spaeth contemplate their next move in WOHO...

Spaeth writes regularly on timely communication topics, and her columns have been collected into two books, Marketplace Communication and Words Matter. Both books, as well as many of her articles, are available at www.spaethcom.com. Merrie also had a career in acting, beginning with a starring role in THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT (1964) with Peter Sellers and Angela Lansbury. She later became a speechwriter for the legendary William S. Paley, founder and chairman of CBS, Inc.

An esteemed graduate of Smith College and a graduate of Columbia Business School, she is a Business Leadership Center Instructor at Southern Methodist University’s Cox School of Business where she teaches “Communication as a Strategic Business Tool,” “Influencing Through the Power of Storytelling” and “Humor as a Leadership Tool.” Merrie speaks on these topics and more to companies and associations in virtually every industry.

image_zps08637215.jpg

Tippy Walker and Merrie Spaeth are mesmerized...

Tippy Walker has also been on a journey, but less in the limelight, and somewhat like the life of her character in The World Of Henry Orient.

image_zps44a18f1e.jpg

For an in-depth New Yorker article about both Spaeth and Walker, follow the link to a fascinating read: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/04/tippy-walker-the-world-of-henry-orient.html

image_zps35286d61.jpg

Paula Prentiss was born in San Antonio, Texas and studied acting at Northwestern University. While in a student production of A Hatful of Rain, she was discovered by a talent scout from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and was signed to a seven year contract.

She starred in her first movie, Where the Boys Are (1960), and then in other MGM films including The Honeymoon Machine (1961), Bachelor in Paradise (1961), The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962), and Follow the Boys (1963). Howard Hawks directed her in Man’s Favorite Sport? (1964) opposite Rock Hudson. She starred in THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT (1964) with Peter Sellers, In Harm’s Way (1965) with John Wayne, and What’s New Pussycat (1965) with Woody Allen.

Ms. Prentiss also appeared in Catch-22 (1970), Last of the Red Hot Lovers (1972), The Parallax View (1974), Move (1970), Crazy Joe (1974), The Black Marble (1980), The Stepford Wives (1975), Buddy Buddy (1981), and Saturday the 14th (1981), opposite her husband Richard Benjamin. She appeared in a cameo as Nurse Ratched’s younger sister in her husband’s film Mrs. Winterbourne (1996).

On TV, Ms. Prentiss enjoyed critical acclaim with her husband in their CBS television series, He and She, and has appeared in several made for television movies including Packin’ It In (1983) and M.A.D.D. — The Candy Lightner Story (1983).

Ms. Prentiss’ stage appearances include Rosalind in Joe Papp’s New York Shakespeare Festival production of As You Like It, Marianna in the UCLA Theatre Group production of Measure for Measure and two off-Broadway plays, Arf and The Great Airplane Snatch. Ms. Prentiss made her Broadway debut in The Norman Conquests opposite Mr. Benjamin. She appeared in the American Repertory Theater production of Demons for Robert Brustein, then in the critically acclaimed Los Angeles premiere of Angel’s Share. In 1999 Ms. Prentiss starred in a four month run of Power Plays by Elaine May and Alan Arkin with her husband Richard Benjamin in New York City, where they received glowing reviews in the New York Times. Next, Paula starred in the Cape Cod Playhouse production of The Tale Of The Allergist’s Wife.

She then starred with her husband and son in Arthur Miller’s All My Sons at the Shadowland Theater in Ellenville, New York. She opened the 2007 season at Boarshead Theatre in Lansing, Michigan with Mrs. Warren’s Profession co-starring her daughter, Prentiss Benjamin. Paula starred in the Los Angeles production of A Majority Of One with her son Ross. In May 2009 she again starred with Ross in the Boarshead acclaimed production of The Glass Menagerie.

Her son, Ross, graduated from Harvard University and daughter, Prentiss, graduated from Northwestern University, where her parents met in 1958. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Ross and his wife (Dr. Liz) presented Paula and Richard with their gorgeous granddaughter, Isabella, now two years and six months. Not to be outdone, daughter Prentiss and her husband, Max presented to Paula and Richard their brand new grandson, Tennessee Benjamin Shulman, three months old.

If you want to see Merrie Spaeth or Paula Prentiss, they will be introducing THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT at 12:15 on Friday, April 10, in the Chinese Multiplex 6.

Information on Merrie Spaeth and Paula Prentiss are from their biographies on the Special Guests link at the TCM Film Festival website.

• Like 2

:D Sue:  Thank you for the update on the Benjamin family.  We all love Paula and, I'm sure, are delighted that her life off-screen has been so happy and fulfilling.  She deserves as many laughs as she's given us all through the years.

Four days and counting.  I'm packing my bags but to spend Easter with my mother next week.  Have a great and safe time, folks.  I'll be watching TCM for whatever we get to see of the Festival there.    

• Like 1

:D Sue:  Thank you for the update on the Benjamin family.  We all love Paula and, I'm sure, are delighted that her life off-screen has been so happy and fulfilling.  She deserves as many laughs as she's given us all through the years.

Four days and counting.  I'm packing my bags but to spend Easter with my mother next week.  Have a great and safe time, folks.  I'll be watching TCM for whatever we get to see of the Festival there.    

Star,

We will be thinking of you and wishing you were with us.  But, you will be with us when toast Kyle!

Have a great time on your trip!

• Like 1

Dear Star, We will certainly be thinking of you when we drink a toast to Kyle. Thank you for the sweet words about my article. I have always loved Paula Prentiss because she made it cool to be tall!

Happy Easter and safe travels to you! :-)

TCM has announced that their will be a tribute to Mickey Rooney at the Festival this year.

Details not announced yet, so watch this space!

• Like 3

This is such good news! Thank you, lzcutter, and thank you, TCM.

I am so sorry to hear of Mickey Rooney's passing. He was a wonderful friend to TCM, and was lately part of the TCM 2013 Cruise.

RIP Mr. Rooney. Thank you for all the smiles you sent our way.

SueSue,

A big THANK YOU for posting the photo's of Doris Day's birthday celebration.  I have been a huge fan of hers since childhood so these recent photo's are a gift!

:)

• Like 1

Just saw this lovely TCMFF 2014 bag on Twitter and thought I should share...imagejpg1_zps58bf3ab7.jpg

Love it!

Hello everyone with Mickey Rooney gone now  one of my 1st thoughts was he was the last  actor mentioned in Celluloid Hero's by the Kinks to pass  not really a happy song but one that talks about Hollywood and  how hard it can be, well Mr. Rooney lived it, bless you Mickey.  I'm happy to hear he'll be remembered at this years festival.  See you all at the Roosevelt

post-11507-0-29306300-1397002575_thumb.jpg

post-11507-0-29306300-1397002575_thumb.jpg

WRJ, thank you for such a sweet post about Mickey Rooney.

See you soon!

imagejpg1_zps01dc3630.jpg

Here is a link to Mickey Rooney's obituary in the L.A. Times: http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-mickey-rooney-20140407,0,5338354.story#axzz2yMZd1Fo5

Let us not forget that Mickey Rooney was courageous enough to testify before Congress about elder abuse.

How Rooney's stepson defrauded him: http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-mickey-rooney-20140407,0,5338354.story#axzz2yMZd1Fo5

f340c9ff-bb0f-4482-8e30-e2d5440405ea_zps

Robert Osborne answering questions at the credentialed media event at the Chinese Multiplex.

He discussed how much Lucille Ball and Jane Darwell helped him with his career, how dedicated Charles Tabesh is to provide special programming for the festival with films like The Great Gatsby with Alan Ladd, and how he is amazed at personal stories viewers tell him as watching TCM has helped so many people through different struggles in their lives like serious illness, joblessness, a death in the family, and many more.

• Like 1

Have a great time Miss Applegate! (and then come back here and tell us all about it... It's the next best thing to getting to see it for myself!) Enjoy! :) 

How cool! Would love to see Ladd's "Gatsby" on big screen.

Hope this mean TCM will air in future?

Thank you,Rohanaka, Mr. Sixes, and Obrienmundy. Very busy with media events and chatting up pass holders about their experiences. Here is a photo of Shirley Jones on the Red Carpet for the Premiere of Oklahoma as she speaks with media personnel. She looks fabulous, doesn't, she?

d6ffea73-3b0a-430a-83eb-038a7d87562c_zps

Photo by Sue X 2...

• Like 1

e571ff0d-41fa-4551-a6a3-25c3df8ea997_zps

The gracious Diane Baker looks fabulous, She is a good friend of TCM host Robert Osborne and accompanied him down the aisle...