SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

1,373 posts in this topic

Announcements about the Turner Classic Film Festival 2015 are just around the córner. Last year, the festival announcement arrived on September 27. Are you ready yet?

imagejpg1_zps2d4f8695.jpg

Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart star in Dark Passage tomorrow on TCM! Read about the back stories and more on my latest blog post: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2014/09/14/the-case-for-dark-passage/

Bacall´s Private Screenings with Robert Osborne has one more airing tonight after How To Marry A Millionaire. It´s fabulous!

HAPPPPY Birthday, dear Miss Applegate! This calls for a celebration!! Cupcakes for everybody!! (Sparkly cupcakes, for a sparkling gal!) Hope you have a great day! 

glamcupcake_zps950851d1.jpg

Dear Miss Rohanaka,

Thank you so much! I am blessed in so many ways! I appreciate your kind thoughts, and have a busy celebration planned! A fancy dinner, fun with family and friends.

And I always enjoy sparkly cupcakes!

Sincerely,

Christy

• Like 1

Well, as of right now, it seems Scotland will remain as part of the UK. (55% said no to the split.) So here´s a bit of related news from Scotland...

I was lucky enough to meet Edinburgh´s Jonathan Melville at a couple of the Turner Classic Film Festivals at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.

IMG_0162.jpg

Jonathan and his lovely girlfriend in Club TCM...

Here´s a link to the most recent blog article from the popular Scottish arts journalist: It doesn´t relate to the current election or debate, but he is definitely active in current events and the Edinburgh Film Festival: http://jonathanmelville.wordpress.com/

Author Preston Neal Jones, who wrote "Heaven and Hell to Play With-The Making of NIght of the Hunter," which was published in 2004, attended the 2013 screening of Charles Laughton´s only directorial effort at the Egyptian Theatre during the Turner Classic Film Festival 2013, and was introduced by TCM´s Shannon Clute after his wonderful discussion to the 1955 film starring Robert Mitchum, Lillian Gish, Shelley Winters, and Billy Chapin.

imagejpg1_zps6ee5f75c.jpg

Jones has just completed "Return to Tomorrow-The Making of Star Trek, The Motion Picture," which is scheduled for publication in October, and here is an article link concerning his new book, 'Return To Tomorrow' reveals backstories of the making of 'Star Trek:The Motion Picture' :

http://www.examiner.com/article/return-to-tomorrow-reveals-backstories-of-the-making-of-star-trek-tmp

imagejpg2_zpsa53d815e.jpg

As tradition would dictate from past years of the Turner Classic Film Festival timelines, sometime this next week should reveal a date for the festival activities for 2015, so be ready to make your hotel reservations! :-)

Well, while we are waiting anxiously for the Turner Classic Film Festival announcement for 2015, I thought I would share a list of some of the celebrities, film and television industry professionals, historians, and authors that I've been lucky enough to meet at the last five festivals:

Allison Anders, Carole Arthur, Rick Baker, Diane Baker, Alec Baldwin, Cari Beauchamp, Jacqueline Bisset, Donald Bogle, Tom Brown, Ann Blyth, Peter Bogdanovich, Sean Cameron, Leslie Caron, George Chakiris, Marge Champion, Shannon Clute, Peggy Cummins, Illeana Douglas, Ed Faulkner, Shirlee Fonda, Peter Fonda, Peter Ford, Alexa Foreman, Jeff Gregor, Randy Haberkamp, Mariette Hartley, Tippi Hedren, Chris Isaak, Anne Jeffreys, Patricia Ward Kelly, Deborah Nadoolman Landis, A.C. Lyles, Leonard Maltin, Ben Mankiewicz, Dennis Millay, Hayley Mills, Juliet Mills, Anne Morra, Eddie Muller, Marni Nixon, Kim Novak, Robert Osborne, Richard Sherman, Margaret O'Brien, Peter O’Toole, Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Barbara Rush, Eva Marie Saint, George Schlatter, Thelma Schoonmaker, Merrie Spaeth, Lynn Stalmaster, Charles Tabesh, Robert Wagner, and Jane Withers.

0f2af021-b3dc-473e-8efe-4cef96cf590a_zps

The Vanity Fair party 2013 where Lulu sang...

1e51f670-b1e5-43a5-a645-7fe6865fe0da_zps

Chatting with Jane Withers and Anne Jeffreys....

19f3786a-5e92-4a2d-80dd-46b38bc4096b_zps

I'll never forget meeting lovely Ann Blyth in the foyer of Grauman's Chinese Theatre with my good friend, Darryl...

• Like 1

Wowsa, that is some list, Miss Applegate. You are a gal who knows how to be in the right place at the right time, for sure!  Between you and Little T, with all the elbow rubbing you gals have done, you two make quite a pair.  

Of the ones you listed, I think the biggest treat for me would have to be a tie between Debbie Reynolds and maybe Margaret O'brien. (OH!! And Peter OToole too!) wowsa indeed!   

Color me.. green with envy. (but I mean it in the very best of ways, dear girl) :)  

• Like 1

Thank you, Miss Rohanaka!

I have been very lucky and privileged to be able to be a part of the first five years of the festival. For me, a great deal of the excitement is visiting with the friends I've made while attending such an exciting four days of events jam-packed with screenings, lunches, panel events, and parties. Being with Little T and Big T, lzcuter, kingrat, darryl, filmlover, and many more TCM Message Board members enriches the experiences we've all had tenfold.

More photos of fun...

b02f8eeb-cc55-4624-a2fe-f12c51343bc5_zps

c8734657-3675-4cc6-a9f7-e5aae95ee2c1_zps

• Like 1

Darryl, I never will forget it, either! Ann Blyth is such a sweet, lovely lady! :-)

Here's a mini-update on the TCMFF 2015:

1b595159-c92b-4e87-9c0f-a9a372f16bf8_zps

Scott McGee (standing) usually hosts the initial Meet The TCM Panel at the Turner Classic Film Festival.

Scott McGee just stated on the Hollywood Time Machine on LA Talk Radio that an announcement about the TCMFF 2015 is coming very soon! He was very upbeat about TCM's future, the festival and the cruise. It's been a great show with hosts Will McKinley and Alicia Mayer. They asked some wonderful questions! (Listen to all the archived shows on LA Talk Radio: http://www.latalkradio.com/index.shtml)

imagejpg1_zpse3ebbd3e.jpg

Don't forget about the special screenings of Gone With The Wind all across America that are presented by TCM and Fathom Events: http://www.fathomevents.com/event/gone-with-the-wind-75th-anniversary

Follow me on the Gone With The Wind Trail as I stop in Atlanta and Marietta here: http://bit.ly/1qLFJaV

Or here: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/stopping-on-the-gone-with-the-wind-trail/

Maybe we will have a TCMFF 2015 announcement this week!

The Turner Classic Film Festival 2015 announcement has been oficially posted on the TCM website:http://filmfestival.tcm.com/pdf/FilmFestival2015_PressRelease.pdf

Our theme this year is "History According to Hollywood," and the possibilities are endless! 

I can' wait to see all of my festival friends again in LA for one of the most exciting gatherings of next year.

The Hollywood Roosevelt is now taking TCM Film Festival reservations for March 26-29, 2015. They are charging a "reservation" fee/deposit equivalent to a one-night stay, plus tax, of $301.29. This is a Thompson Hotel policy regarding the festival. Other area hotels, like Loew's, are not charging a deposit/fee in order to make a reservation.

Passes go on sale in November, but a specific date has not yet been announced.

• Like 1

Just booked my hotel, The Roosevelt, meaning I only need to stumble to the elevator. Now I just need to decide if I stick with the Classic Pass or jump up to the Essential, i.e., how important is it to me to walk the red carpet.

• Like 1

This is certainly a popular dilemma, roadrdr6.

Making the decision to "walk the Red Carpet" with an Essentials Pass is a choice filled with emotion and sometimes plagued by financial responsibility. But being a participant on the Red Carpet, wearing fancy duds and highly accessorized ensembles is part of the the fun for many Turner Classic Film Festival pass holders. I've been to all five festivals, and financial constraints as a single Mom with a son in college often play a major part in my decision-making process.

It's one of these moments that we have to weigh the emotional rewards against next month's bills, but hopefully you won't have such difficult circumstances to juggle.

If you want to be a part of the Red Carpet fun, but not walk right through to the Gala Premiere screening, you can always be a part of the Red Carpet Gallery, and see many of the celebrities and well-appointed pass holders with a front-row seat. There is just as much fun watching it, and enjoying the wonderful repartee between TCM's Tom Brown and special guests as they are photographed or filmed right in front of you.

d9e1ac69-0b2f-4e37-8e8c-0ef3b05e151c_zps

Tom Brown interviewing Maureen O'Hara on the TCMFF 2014 Red Carpet...

52460b04-f3fc-47fa-b150-e20ec490bb90_zps

Where you are sitting if you are in the Red Carpet Gallery....

Some pass holders actually prefer to sit in the Red Carpet Gallery even though they have a Spotlight or Essentials Pass. I believe that Classic pass holders always have access to the Red Carpet Gallery seating.

So this is one of those choices between the passion in your heart and the pennies in your pocketbook. :-)

Everyone I've heard from is enthusiastic about this year's festival theme:

"The Old West. Medieval England. Ancient Rome. Hollywood has found endless inspiration in re- creating historical moments and bringing to life the heroes and villains of the past, creating a form of time travel for audiences through the ages and around the world. These films, however, are not always true to the historical record. Filmmakers have often created works about the past that are a reflection of the period in which they were made, or change facts to suit a particular storyline. The 2015 TCM Classic Film Festival will explore how cinema has shaped how we view – and remember – history."

There are lots of films having anniversaries this year, so you might want to start creating a wish list! :-)

Hi Sue Sue, I wasn't going to do this on your thread, but you've left the door open so .... Since you mentioned people creating a wishlist of what they'd like to see at the 2015 TCM Classic Film Festival (TCMFF), I thought I would jump in. Please excuse the self promotion, but I am running a pool on my blog about this very thing. It's all in good fun. Just make your top 10 picks of what you think will be showing at the 2015 TCMFF. The pool runs until the end of October or whatever time TCM makes an announcement the contains titles of films they will be showing whichever comes later. As a prize I'm offering a bottle of Humphrey Bogart Gin (provided I can get one for something under an arm and a leg) or as a backup, a Myrna Loy print, signed and numbered by the artist for those who don't drink. I'd like to restrict to people who plan to attend TCMFF but really, anyone can play along. Complete details on the site:

http://chrissturhann.blogspot.com/2014/10/2015-tcm-classic-film-festival-pool.html

Thanks all, and good luck.

Thanks for sharing your contest information, Chris! Here's a list that I just made right after the announcement.

Please feel free to share some of your "Dream Screenings!"

81ce088c-8325-43f6-987a-b97751461e8d_zps

Possible film screenings that are having anniversaries

(Parentheses indicate previously screened films at the TCM Film Festival)

1930-85th

Puttin' on the Ritz

The Blue Angel

Anna Christie

Animal Crackers

Kismet with Loretta Young (considered lost)

Madame Satan

Playboy of Paris

Midnight in a Toy Shop (Disney animation)

Montana Moon (one of the first films to feature a singing cowboy, with Joan Crawford and Johnny Mack Brown.

1940--75th

Fantasia (2011, with Diane Disney Miller in attendance)

Pinocchio

Tin Pan Alley

Panama Hattie

Cabin in the Sky (2011)

His Girl Friday

Pride and Prejudice

The Letter

They Drive By Night

Grapes of Wrath

1945-79th

Anchors Aweigh

State Fair

1950-65th

Annie Get Your Gun

1955-60th

Night of the Hunter

Love Me or Leave Me

Many Rivers to Cross

Far Country (Anthony Mann)

Last Frontier (Anthony Mann)

Man From Laramie (Anthony Mann)

The Seven Year Itch

To Catch a Thief (2012)

The Trouble With Harry (2011)

Sue Sue's Selections for Screenings

The Oxbow Incident introduced by Peter Fonda

Viva Las Vegas with Ann-Margret

Montana Moon with Jeff Bridges

My Darling Clementine with Peter Fonda

Once Upon a Time in the West with Claudia Cardinale

Sophia Loren and Quo Vadis

Love Me or Leave Me with Doris Day ( I know. But we can all wish, can't we?)

Julia with Jane Fonda, Meryl Streep, and/or Vanessa Redgrave

Chaplin with Robert Downey, Jr. ( suggested by lzcutter, and I like it, too!)

The Opposite Sex with Joan Collins

Many Rivers to Cross (1955 film with Eleanor Parker, Robert Taylor, Alan Hale, Jr., and James Arness--a favorite of mine and Butterscotch Greer's)

Dark Passage with Stephen or Leslie Bogart

This is definitely not a complete list, but some of my findings and a few of my favorites.

I am open for suggestions for silent films!

My avatar for October is Veronica Lake in a publicity photo for I Married A Witch.

Hi Sue Sue, Great list. I'd love to see a lot of those, especially His Girl Friday, The Letter, and Night of the Hunter. I hope you find time to whittle the list down and jump in on my pool. The first official entry showed up this evening. Chris

• Like 1