SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

1,367 posts in this topic

imagejpg1_zps7f74876d.jpg

Will McKinley share his video of Robert Osborne introducing "Miracle on 34th St." at Macy's in New York.

Enjoy! http://willmckinley.wordpress.com

To read all the fabulous What A Character! Blogathon entries, access the entire list here: http://aurorasginjoint.com/2014/10/15/what-a-character-blogathon-2014/

28444ed4-5911-4ae7-b2fb-ce0ba755377a_zps

A Classic Merger: TCM and DISNEY!

imagejpg1_zps2a142107.jpg

The corporate friendship will see that TCM fans are benefiting in several ways.

According to the article in the New York Times, classic Disney programming will be coming to TCM in December:

The block will be offered by TCM “roughly four to five times a year,” said Charlie Tabesh, senior vice president for programming and production of TCM.

“Disney films and other programming have been seen a little bit on TCM, but not much,” he added. “It will be exciting to dig into the vault and see classic Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, ‘The Wonderful World of Disney,’ ” he said.

The initial block of Disney programming by TCM is to run from 8 p.m., Eastern time, on Dec. 21 through 5:15 a.m. on Dec. 22. “It’s a Sunday night,” Mr. Tabesh said, “a perfect family night and getting close to Christmas.”

Among the nine scheduled items from the Disney archives are “Santa’s Workshop,” a 1932 cartoon; “The Disneyland Story,” in which Walt Disney himself describes in 1954 plans for the park named Disneyland that he opened in Anaheim, Calif., the next year; “Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier,” edited from episodes of a “Disneyland” serial about the frontiersman; and “The Vanishing Prairie,” a nature documentary.

For the full article, follow the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/business/media/disney-pairs-up-with-turner-to-promote-shows-and-a-ride.html?_r=2

Spotlight passes are almost sold out!

Here's the latest message from the Festival website about the SPOTLIGHT:

This pass is still available, but must be purchased via the festival box office at 877-826-5764, Monday- Friday, 10am-5pm ET, excluding holidays.

HERE THEY COME!imagejpg1_zps24079e0f.jpg

TCM FAN FAVORITES ARE TODAY!

Don't miss @TCM_Party regulars Aurora Bugallo, Paula Guthat, Joel Wiliams, and Miguel Rodriguez today! They magically visit with Ben Mankiewicz as they share some of their favorite films...

12:30 p.m. Meet Me in St. Louis – Aurora

2:30 p.m. The Lemon Drop Kid – Me

4:15 p.m. The Thing From Another World – Miguel

6:00 p.m. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – Joel

Paula writes all about it here: http://paulascinemaclub.com/2014/11/22/so-im-going-to-be-on-tcm-next-saturday-1129/

Check the official TCM Schedule here for your area... http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

TCM Host Ben Mankiewicz honors TCM Senior Researcher Alexa Foreman during the outro for THE YEARLING tomorrow afternoon, Sunday, November 30.

Foreman has contributed to TCM Original Productions, the TCM Database, the TCM Archives, and worked closely with TCM Hosts Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz. Her interviews and research with classic film celebrities have increased knowledge about classic film celebrities, directors, screenwriters and technical personnel who contributed to Classic Hollywood productions.

Alexa Foreman is known among her colleagues as "The Keeper of the Flame" for her dedication to historical accuracy and her vast knowledge about classic film.

post-12186-0-13539000-1417322570_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-74236700-1417322590_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-30111900-1417322675_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-47928700-1417323438_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-13539000-1417322570_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-74236700-1417322590_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-30111900-1417322675_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-47928700-1417323438_thumb.jpg

4bb54250-1627-40e1-b84b-4d70ac62856e_zps

Several months ago TCM Host Robert Osborne mentioned that there would be a new ESSENTIALS host on the network in Austin, Texas, at a screening at the Paramount Theatre, and it would be an Oscar-Winner, but we haven't heard much lately about the new host.

Any guesses? Of the ladies, Jane Fonda, Eva Marie Saint, and Anjelica Huston have all won Oscars and have all participated in the TCM Film Festivals. Might it be one of them?

But what about another male co-host for the ESSENTIALS? Any guesses?

4bb54250-1627-40e1-b84b-4d70ac62856e_zps

Several months ago TCM Host Robert Osborne mentioned that there would be a new ESSENTIALS host on the network in Austin, Texas, at a screening at the Paramount Theatre, and it would be an Oscar-Winner, but we haven't heard much lately about the new host.

Any guesses? Of the ladies, Jane Fonda, Eva Marie Saint, and Anjelica Huston have all won Oscars and have all participated in the TCM Film Festivals. Might it be one of them?

But what about another male co-host for the ESSENTIALS? Any guesses?

My guess is Anjelica Huston.   She has a new book out and I saw her on Bravo and she wants to get more exposure.    

With her famous grandfather and father Huston fits the bill.   Of course so does Fonda but as we see at this forum Fonda might cause some push back by those that can't let go.

• Like 1

e371dcc0-a21e-4709-b39e-49a60f6e7607_zps

I agree, James. Anjelica Huston would be a good choice for TCM. She has the lengthy Hollywood pedigree (grandfather Walter, and father, John), she's candid, she knows classic film, and she would have valid comments to make about some of our favorite ESSENTIALS. I also think that she would share the benefit of her expertise adroitly and would be welcomed by the loyal TCM fans.

Jane Fonda would also share her expertise with 'elan, but she also might be too busy with all of her projects to devote much time to TCM.

e371dcc0-a21e-4709-b39e-49a60f6e7607_zps

I agree, James. Anjelica Huston would be a good choice for TCM. She has the lengthy Hollywood pedigree (grandfather Walter, and father, John), she's candid, she knows classic film, and she would have valid comments to make about some of our favorite ESSENTIALS. I also think that she would share the benefit of her expertise adroitly and would be welcomed by the loyal TCM fans.

Jane Fonda would also share her expertise with 'elan, but she also might be too busy with all of her projects to devote much time to TCM.

Yes, Huston is very candid.   Her book has a lot about Jack but in the interview on Bravo she said that she made sure Jack was OK with what she said before the book was released and she was willing to remove anything that Jack didn't like (but Jack didn't ask for any changes).

I just updated my post to mention her grandfather.   How could I forget about Walter!   (love the guy in many movies especially Dodsworth). 

• Like 1

Anjeilica Huston would be great. I'll throw out these two names:

Robert Redford – I'm partially basing this on the fact that he showed up on the back cover of  Now Playing as January's, Star of the Month. I think he would be really good.

Ron Howard – Since they are showing Apollo 13 at #TCMFF, I could see him doing it.

• Like 1

James, I love Walter Huston, too. Probably my two favorites are THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE and DODSWORTH. Anjelica Huston would definitely have plenty to say about some of my favorite classic films, and I enjoyed her appearance at the 2010 TCM Film Festival.

roadrdr6, I would certainly enjoy Robert Redford as a co-host! He stars in one of the three films in the Alan J. Pakula Paranoia Trilogy that I've always enjoyed revisiting. (KLUTE being the third.) His association with the Sundance Film Festival and his appearance in several sixties classics make him a good choice.

And Ron Howard would also be a great Essentials Co-Host. Not only is he an Oscar-winning director, he actually starred in a few classic films himself. :-)

67748bb6-2aea-4545-80a6-317d0efa06cc_zps

Here's a short history of The Essentials hosts:

Rob Reiner (2001)

Sydney Pollack

Peter Bogdanovich

Robert Osborne and Molly Haskell (2006)

Robert Osborne and Carrie Fisher (2007)

Robert Osborne and Rose McGowan (2008)

Robert Osborne and Alec Baldwin (2009)

Robert Osborne and Drew Barrymore (2012)

Robert Osborne and ? (2015)

TCMFF 2015 UPDATE: SPOTLIGHT PASSES ARE NOW SOLD OUT!

CBS Sunday Morning is featuring Cecil B. De Mille today. It's probably in conjunction with the new coffee table book in Susan King's article in the L.A. TImes: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/classichollywood/la-et-mn-ca-cecil-demille-classic-hollywood-20141207-story.html

imagejpg1_zps5ca00c8c.jpg

Live blog at the Atlanta History Center about the original premiere of Gone With The Wind here:http://atlantahistorycenter.tumblr.com

And we still haven't heard who Robert Osborne's co-host will be for The Essentials. Several months ago, Robert Osborne revealed that the new co-host would be an Oscar-winner. Any more guesses?

Cher? Eva Marie Saint? Jane Fonda? Ellen Burstyn?

imagejpg1_zpsdde19499.jpg

Merry Christmas, everybody!

And if you don't celebrate Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, and a lovely holiday season.

I wish you all wonderful celebrations, delicious meals with people you love, smiles, laughter, joy, and peace.

imagejpg1_zps9098f335.jpg

Gone With The Wind has some superfans! They were featured on Bill Geist's CBS Sunday Morning Program today as they traveled from all over the U.S. to see the Harry Ransom Center exhibit ,"Making of Gone With The Wind," in Austin, Texas: http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/meet-the-gone-with-the-wind-superfans/

You can click on the video link on the CBS Sunday Morning website to see the report. TCM is a major supporter of the exhibition. Thank you, TCM! :-)

imagejpg1_zpsc100b5dc.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Christmas goodies on TCM tomorrow:

Scrooge (1935)

Bundle of Joy

The Great Rupert

Night at the Movies: Merry Christmas!

It Happened on 5th Avenue

I'll Be Seeing You

Shop Around the Corner

Meet Me in St. Louis

And Bob's Picks during Prime Time Christmas Eve:

The Man Who Came to Dinner

Christmas in Connecticut

Cover Girl

Indiscreet (One of my favorites, with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant)

What does TCM have in store for us in 2015? Maybe we might hear who our new TCM Essentials Co-Host might be fairly soon: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-next-tcm-essentials-co-host-to-be-announced-soon

TCM Film Festival 2015 Update: Both Spotlight and Essential passes are sold out. Classic and Palace passes are still avaiable, though.

Last year's update for the festival occurred on February 5. The 20th Anniversary Guest Programmers were announced on February 3. So more information is coming up in the next month.

One of the most delightful guests at the Turner Classic Film Festival 2010 was actress Luise Rainer whose attendance was threatened by volcanic ash from Iceland that hovered over London in April of that year, and her broken hearing aid almost ended her interview with Robert Osborne. But a fan offered pen and paper for Robert to write down questions for her to read, and Robert persevered with his usual calm.

For those of you who missed this wonderful interview, it's historic moments are captured on DVD.

imagejpg1_zps0b81e973.jpg

Rest in Peace, Luise Rainer, a sweet, lovely lady.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/double-oscar-winning-actress-luise-rainer-dies-at-104-1201389329/

imagejpg2_zpsa8011ee9.jpgMGM player Joan Collins is a "Dame" again on the New Year's Honors List from Buckingham Palace: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30633687

In the photo, Joan Blondell and Dolores Gray pay homage to the vixen that eventially became Alexis on Dynasty, Crystal Allen, during the production of "The Opposite Sex." Yes, I know it's not as good as the original 1939's "The Women," but it just has to be taken on its own merits as one of my guilty pleasures.All my goddaughters love it! :-)

For more about the trials and tribulations on the set of MGM's "The Opposite Sex," read "That Darn Smack" here:http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2013/12/22/that-darn-smack/

imagejpg1_zps2662b414.jpg

A Happy New Year to you all. I hope it is filled with love, warmth, kindness, and compassion.

If you are attending the TCM Film Festival 2015, I'll see you in three months! :-)