SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

1,374 posts in this topic

Wow! This is exciting news. Sophia Loren has had such a marvelous career. Marriage Italian Style, which I've never seen, sounds like a great choice for the festival.

And I'm especially happy for filmlover, too.

• Like 1

Filmlover, I know how tickled you are! It's shaping up to be another fabulous year. I can't wait for the interview with Robert Osborne in The Montalban Theatre. What a great guest she will be!

Kingrat, I think you will enjoy MARRIAGE, ITALIAN STYLE. It's a date! :-)

image.jpg1_zps4g3btyjc.jpg

New York Writer Will McKinley shares a personal story about Sophia Loren after the latest TCM Film Festival update:

https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2015/02/11/sophia-loren-to-appear-at-2015-tcm-classic-film-festival/#comment-7240

image.jpg1_zpswrbyku9x.jpg

Romilda with a young Sophia....

Sophia Loren's mother, Romilda, entered a Greta Garbo-lookalike contest sponsored by MGM in 1932.

What do you think?

image.jpg1_zpsn57bu1wa.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day, festival friends!

Related TCM Festival News:

The latest issue of Vanity Fair has a lovely interview with our Gala Premiere couple, Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, in the 21st Annual Hollywood Issue.

MEGA-DITTOS to all the "tickled" and excitment!

This is going to be a great festival and I can't believe that it's the one I am going to!

WHOOHOO! Wan't wait!

• Like 1

It's going to be fabulous, rhodesisland! Can't wait to see you there.

I just stopped by because I wanted to wish Thelma Ritter a Happy Birthday! Everybody's favorite character actress was born on February 14, 1902.

image.jpg1_zpse1dyqmhk.jpg

Here's an article I wrote with exclusive interfviews about Miss Ritter: https://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/thelma-ritter-finally-has-her-day-on-tcm/

Festival '15 Folderol...

image.jpg1_zpscabopfgw.jpg

Maybe we will see a screening of THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE since both Sophia Loren and Christopher Plummer are in attendance. It's definitely qualifying for the theme of history in the movies. :-)

It's going to be fabulous, rhodesisland! Can't wait to see you there.

I just stopped by because I wanted to wish Thelma Ritter a Happy Birthday! Everybody's favorite character actress was born on February 14, 1902.

image.jpg1_zpse1dyqmhk.jpg

Here's an article I wrote with exclusive interfviews about Miss Ritter:

MOVIES-TV showed Pick-up on South Street today.      The Ritter death \ murder scene is one for the ages.

• Like 1

It is, James. It's hard to watch her scenes in the film, and her finale is heartbreaking, but Ritter's performances are always rewarding. :-)

I completely agree, filmlover! There are so many exciting films lined up!

And I can't wait to see THE RETURN OF THE DREAM MACHINE: HAND-CRANKED FILMS FROM 1902-1913:
Experience the movies like the first audiences did, with hand-cranked projection of 35mm film prints featuring icons from cinema’s earliest years, including a color-tinted version of Georges Melies’ A TRIP TO THE MOON (1902), the Edison Company’s THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1903), D.W. Griffith’s A CORNER IN WHEAT (1909) and Lois Weber’s split-screen thriller SUSPENSE

Plus Terry Leonard will discuss his work as stuntman/coordinator on RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE WIND AND THE LION.

SPIKE LEE- Unbelievable that we will have him introduce MALCOLM X. What a surprise for all the passholders! Alex Haley also co-wrote the book with Malcolm X from which Lee co-wrote the screenplay with Arnold Perl.

Dustin Hoffman will discuss and intro LENNY, and maybe, just maybe, ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, since it's also a film that is in keeping with the theme of history in the movies. I can dream, can't I? :-)

C'Mon, GET HAPPY! One more great announcement today! :-)

image.jpg1_zpsfbsbawwn.jpg

ACADEMY CONVERSATIONS: GUNGA DIN (1939)

As part of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences “Academy Conversations” series, two Oscar-winners, special effects man Craig Barron and sound effects editor Ben Burtt, share their insights and introduce one of Hollywood’s greatest adventure films. George Stevens directs this loose adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s poem about three wisecracking British soldiers (Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Victor McLaglen) who, with their faithful Indian water boy (Sam Jaffe), fight off a murderous religious sect in Northern India.

11018175_10205717732443956_7286956292006

Hello.(clackety-clack) This is Carl Bernstein calling from The Washington Post. (Clackety-clack) I am trying to find out a little more information concerning the TCM Film Festival 2015. Yes. 'A' we know is Ann-Margret, 'J' we know is Julie Andrews, and 'C' is for Christopher Plummer. But we don't know who 'R' is. Is that for Robert Osborne or Robert Redford? (Clackety-clack)And 'S'. Is that for Sally Field or Sean Connery? Any kind of help you could give us would be most appreciated, sir, ....(CLICK).

YES!

HERE ARE MORE OFFICIAL UPDATES..... LIVE INTERVIEWS AT THE MONTALBAN THEATRE SATURDAY, MARCH 28

Norman_Lloyd_a_p_zps1xmjacgt.jpg

A CONVERSATION WITH NORMAN LLOYD
10:00AM – 11:30AM

Join TCM host Ben Mankiewicz as he sits down for an hour-long conversation with Norman Lloyd to discuss Lloyd’s eight-decade-long career as an actor and director. Attendees are strongly encouraged to arrive early because this event will be taped to air on TCM. NOTE: Passholders under the age of 18 must be accompanied by guardian.

image.jpg1_zpshmoqxwdz.jpg

LIVE FROM THE TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL: SOPHIA LOREN
2:00PM – 4:00PM

Passholder exclusive event! Robert Osborne will interview Academy Award-winning actress Sophia Loren about her legendary life and career. Attendees are strongly encouraged to arrive early because this event will be taped to air on TCM. NOTE: Passholders under the age of 18 must be accompanied by guardian.

And the following films have been added:

Reign of Terror (1949)

A group of dissidents launch a secret plot to bring down the ruthless Robespierre after the French Revolution in this Anthony Mann directed drama starting Robert Cummings, Arlene Dahl, Richard Basehart and Norman Lloyd.

In attendance: Norman Lloyd

CHAPLIN!

Limelight (1952)

Charlie Chaplin produced, wrote, directed, composed the music and stars in this comedic drama about a once celebrated clown on the verge of obsolescence and an aspiring ballerina looking for her big break.

Dare we hope Claire Bloom, whose lovely discussion of Charlie Chaplin and this film are the subject of a Word of Mouth interstitial, might attend? Or Geraldine Chaplin?

The good news just keeps on coming for the TCMFF 2015!

image.jpg1_zpsnrdg7ton.jpg

The 31 Days of Oscar Blogathon is winding up. My entry and heartfelt homage to Ernie Pyle, Robert Mitchum, Burgess Meredith, and William Wellman is THE STORY OF G.I. JOE: https://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/the-story-of-g-i-joe/

image.jpg3_zpsdsg5auj7.jpg

The announced list of Special Guests at the TCM Film Festival 2015 keeps growing with each update. Stay tuned for more festival announcements because the final schedule has yet to be released:

Julie Andrews - Actress, Singer and Author

Ann-Margret - Actor and Entertainer

Alec Baldwin - Actor and Producer

Craig Barron - Visual-Effects Artist

Ben Burtt - Sound Designer

Anne V. Coates - Editor, ACE

William Daniels - Actor

Carl Davis - Composer, Conductor and Musician

Randy Haberkamp - Managing Director of Preservation and Foundation Programs for AMPAS

Dustin Hoffman - Actor and Director

Ken Howard - Actor

Peter H. Hunt - Director

David Ladd - Producer

James Layton - Historian and Archivist

Spike Lee - Director

Terry Leonard - Stuntman

Norman Lloyd - Actor, Producer and Director

Sophia Loren - Actress and Author

Captain James Lovell - Astronaut

David Pierce - Historian and Archivist

Christopher Plummer - Actor and Author

Rick Schmidlin - Film Scholar and Preservationist

Brane Živković - Composer

Scott Feinberg announced new TCMFF 2015 additions on his Hollywood Reporter column :

"To mark the 60th anniversary of her big screen debut, the legendary Shirley MacLaine — a best actress Oscar winner for Terms of Endearment (1983) — will be feted at screenings of her films The Apartment (1960) and The Children's Hour (1961) and will also participate in an in-depth conversation about her storied career with TCM's beloved on-air host Robert Osborne.

Peter Fonda, one of the three stars of the landmark 1969 film Easy Rider, will headline a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the birth of his father, the Oscar-winning actor Henry Fonda, as part of which he will introduce screenings of the senior Fonda's Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) and My Darling Clementine (1946) participate in a conversation with bestselling author Scott Eyman.

Sean Connery's successor as 007, George Lazenby, will introduce a screening of the one film in which he played the character, On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

And Robert Morse, the Tony-winning stage-turned-film-turned-TV actor, who was recently nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of Bert Cooper on Mad Men, will introduce a screening of The Loved One, the 1965 comedic adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's novel of the same title about Hollywood.

The fest, this year's theme of which is "History According to Hollywood," has also announced that three people whose lives have been depicted on screen — Tony Mendez (Argo), Aron Ralston (127 Hours) and Mark Schultz (Foxcatcher) — will appear together on a panel, "A Surreal Life Existence: My Life as Portrayed in Life," and that Capt. James Lovell, whose story was told in Apollo 13, will attend a 20th anniversary screening of that film.

For the full article, visit here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/tcm-film-fest-shirley-maclaine-777771

image.jpg1_zps4g3btyjc.jpg

This lovely image of Sophia Loren just seemed the perfect way to remind fans of TCM that there are still a few Classic and Palace Passes available. Check out the festival website for more information: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/attend/

The final schedule for the TCM Film Festival 2015 is yet to be announced, but it won't be long!

This year's theme of "Hollywood and History" is right up my alley; I'm sorry to miss it.  I find many movies not intending to be are historic as they show us what life was like back when they were made.  Naked City and Mystery Street show us how crimes were solved with legwork and brains before computers; they even had forensics bake then.  The pre-codes and "shopgirl" dramas let us see what living conditions were back during the depression.  No Down Payment  tells us that the 50s were not all that idealistic especially if you were a minority.  If nothing else we see how movies progressed in quality over the past 100 years.  Maybe this is TCM's real legacy and why it must keep on going.  HAVE FUN FOLKS! 

• Like 1

Dear Woulbestar,

I am so happy that I was lucky enough to meet you at one of the TCM Film Festivals and appreciate your well-informed, enthusiastic comments. I'll drink a toast to you at the Hollywood Roosevelt!

Stay tuned! :-)

Passholders have started to receive their TCM Film Festival packages today, so if your pass hasn't arrived, keep an eye out for a delivery! :-)

Just published a short article about the new films added to the TCM Film Festival 2015 schedule revealed by Charlie Tabesh, Senior Vice President for Programming for the festival, on Charles Horak's Radio program on KTEP: http://www.examiner.com/article/new-films-announced-for-tcm-film-festival-2015

Christopher Plummer "Cements New Honor" at the TCMFF 2015 Hand and Footprint Ceremony!

The Turner Pressroom Release: https://pressroom.turner.com/us/tcm/tcm-classic-film-festival/cm-honor-christopher-plummer-hand-and-footprint-ceremony#.VPeAtoFOKrV

Here's the link to the latest Deadline.com article: http://deadline.com/2015/03/oscar-winner-christopher-plummer-chinese-theatre-hand-footprints-1201385687/

Well-deserved! And.....

UPDATE: "The Man Who Would Be King" has been added as a screening!