SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

1,229 posts in this topic

If any of you are TCM Backlot members, there is a recently announced Backlot VIP Experience at TCMFF.  The prize includes 2 Free Spotlight passes. (I believe if you purchase a pass, as many folks are doing today, it will be refunded when you win!) 

Here’s the link: https://www.tcmbacklot.com/TCMFF-VIP-Experience 

eX3n0MP.jpg

And it looks like Spotlights and Essentials have sold out during the Citibank presale.... More tomorrow when passes go on sale to the public...

Stay tuned, and purchase your pass if you are coming to share in the excitement of "Powerful Words,"our theme this year....

I'm currently in Los Angeles researching Thelma Ritter-Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, and I've run into several of our TCM Film Festival regulars during my travels around town. Everyone is excited about the upcoming festival, the announced films, and involved in the pass-buying frenzy.

Currently, the Essential pass is sold out during the sale to the public. For more festival pass questions, check out the link: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/attend/

Hoping to catch Casablanca with the Los Angeles branch of TCM Backlot tomorrow. If you're in LA, I hope to see you!

Author and Film Noir Foundation kingpin Alan K. Rode is having a book sigining for his tome on Michael Curtiz on Saturday at 2 at the illustrious Larry Edmunds Bookstore on Hollywood Boulevard, conveniently next to Bordner's... https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Curtiz-Life-Screen-Classics-ebook/dp/B06WVDXBQV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488236553&sr=8-2&keywords=curtiz

Saw film writers Kim Luperi and The Essentials author Jeremy Arnold while plowing through stacks of clippings and  research, hunting and pecking out details for Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker....seems Mr. Arnold is hush-hush on his new book for Turner Classic Movies coming sometime in 2018....

AND....here are a few photos from the exciting Julien's Auction featuring jewelry from Joseff of Hollywood and items from the Judy Garland collection.....

UxnaDpD.jpg

FLFmMjS.jpg

D2KXsTn.jpg

YuVg3FF.jpg

6Db5MQU.jpg

eNMZNiE.jpg

IhHWoj2.jpg

tV8wo68.jpg

NKd7GuH.jpg

q04aYsM.jpg

I5w8sjt.jpg

So that's Hollywood for now...

Passes for the TCMFF 2018 are still on sale... Hope to see you in April!  

OuBFXdJ.jpg

Had a wonderful afternoon with TCM Backlot folks Trudy, Lawrence, Linda, Sue Sue, Ruth, and Jessica on Sunday...and dining at Rock Sugar was yummy!!!!

Director Alexandra Dean visits The Silver Screen Oasis  this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, December 2 and 3. Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story has screened in Dallas, Toronto, San Francisco, New York, and several other venues in the United States.

Following PBS she became a series and documentary producer at Bloomberg television. She co-created the long running Bloomberg series Innovators. Her Bloomberg documentary, The Player, an investigation of the gambling industry, received a New York Press Club Award and was described as a “breakout” by the channel and received 4 times Bloomberg’s usual viewership.

The Silver Screen Oasis: http://www.silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=7011&p=165635#p165635

New York Times Review: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/movies/bombshell-the-hedy-lamarr-story-review-.html?ribbon-ad-idx=6&rref=movies&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Movies&pgtype=article

getPart?uid=35027220&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=FullSizeRender.jpg

TCM Backlot members Skyped with Ben yesterday...

Wendy Vick, from Texas, chose Gigi (1958)....

Chris Mich chose Test Pilot (1938)

Christopher Cooney, youngest TCM Backlot member to be a Guest Programmer, chose The Petrified Forest (1935). 

And...LeeAundra Keany chose the 1932 pre-code, One Way Passage....

If you are interested in becoming a Guest Programmer with Ben Mankiewicz via Skype, join TCM Backlot and enter their periodic contests: https://www.tcmbacklot.com/

(Photos courtesy of TCM Backlot)

Alan K. Rode's fabulous new book about Michael Curtiz has received several wonderful reviews....

OuBFXdJ.jpg

Visiting with the Los Angeles TCM Backlot group was so much fun! This lovely photo was added to the TCM Backlot images for the Casablanca screenings article!  I had a wonderful time visiting with Trudy, Lawrence, Linda, Ruth, and Jessica at the film! Thanks, TCM Backlot fans.:)

I've also enjoyed all the films in the monthlong celebration of the talents of Jimmy Stewart. Tweeting along with some of the films with #TCMParty enhanced the experience.

Exploring films of Blacklisted entertainment professionals in November also included the final visit this month with Lee Grant, actress, director, writer and producer. It's amazing the career she's had, inspite of the travails of being blacklisted. I'm grateful that TCM decided to focus on a previously neglected topic in such a thorough manner. Writers and historians as Guest Programmers always add to the interesting factual research that highlight selected films.

9736f3d8-6485-44b5-a3da-7991f917d1ab.jpg
We are excited to announce that our Monthly Highlights Calendar now includes an advance look at the upcoming month, with this month's calendar giving you an early peek at January programming! Read on for more December programming highlights and your crossword for the month.

December is here already! Here's a link to the NOW PLAYING Newsletterhttp://mailchi.mp/6a801f632d9a/your-december-now-playing-newsletter

Director Alexandra Dean is currently online to answer questions about her ground-breaking documentary, Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story at The Silver Screen Oasis: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=7013&p=165668#p165668

tnTnq3R.jpg

Director Dean conducted the last onscreen interview with beloved TCM Host Robert Osborne, who was a close friend of Hedy's. Hedy Lamarr was also a "Hidden Figure" concerning her contributions to current technology making cell phones and even this website a viable venture. Come join us this weekend!

Christmas double feature is tonight!

A Christmas Carol (1951) and Scrooge (1935) are coming you way this evening.

I heard from TCM Moderator1 earlier in the week. I had reported that while on the TCM Message Boards that we had previously been able to access the main TCM web page while clicking on the TCM logo in the top lefthand corner of the page, and that functionality has been lost since the update a few months ago. They are looking into the issue.

Thank you!

As far as reversing the post order so that the newest post is seen first in a thread (instead of currently showing the beginning post in a thread, which might be several years old) as had been the procedure before the update, the post order will not change. So the latest post will be listed on the final page of a thread. Currently my new posts are on page 46. Guess I've been writing on the TCM Festival Forum for a while!

I hope that's clear. 

Passes are still on sale for the TCM Film Festival 2018. The only pass currently sold out is the Essential.

To order a pass, go to: https://festival.tcm.com/tcm/

pZn4R1A.jpg

Michael Curtiz and Errol Flynn on set....

Tomfoolery, shenanigans, or serious commiserating about a scene?

Find out tomorrow when Alan K. Rode, author of Michael Curtiz: A Life in Film, visits The Silver Screen Oasis to discuss his latest epic!

Well, there is still no official word concerning the TBA programming listed on the monthly schedule for December 13 here.  Stay tuned!

There are no films listed from 8 p.m.  December 13, until 6 a.m. December 13, the next day.

Could there be a block of special interviews from the TCM Film Festival? Could they be announcing a new permanent host? Could there be special editions of Private Screenings with Robert Osborne interviewing former guests? Guess I'll have to tune in and find out. :D

Hope you enjoyed the fabulous documentary last night and the National Film Registry Movies screened. “Wanda” was first featured during #TrailblazingWomenInFilm a few years ago.

More Christmas films are scheduled tonight on TCM...

in the meantime, enjoy this Yuletide blog post from author Jacqueline Lynch: https://anotheroldmovieblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/mankind-was-my-business-christmas-carol.html?m=1

New films and guests have been added today: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/

Mel Brooks returns for The Producers (OPENING NIGHT!) and director and Texas native Robert Benton arrives for Places In The Heart and Kramer Vs. Kramer and a director's salute!

Plus:

To Have and Have Not

Throne of Blood

The 2017 edition of TCM Remembers aired today right before Casablanca. Get out the hankies!

Or just pretend you were cutting onions for the potato salad....

• Thanks 1

Mel on The Producers...

JpesIdU.jpg

See that link up there? I think Mel wants pass holders to do their homework before the opening night film at the TCMFF 2018...

GPpsLrh.jpg

"Sinterklaas Kapoentje"

St. Nicholas Day Song

Sinterklaas Kapoentje,
Leg wat in mijn schoentje,
Leg wat in mijn laarsje,
Dank je Sinterklaasje!

(Saint Nicholas, Little Rascal,
Put something into my little shoe,
Put something into my little boot,
Thank you, little Saint Nicholas!)

From Miracle on 34th Street...

YVT0LOD.jpg

Tonight is TCM's New Year's Eve Marathon of the Thin Man series starring William Powell and Myrna Loy!

"For this year's most sophisticated holiday evening, TCM has gathered all six entries from a movie series that defined urbane elegance: the Thin Man films. So ring in the New Year in style with one of the great screen couples-- Nick and Nora Charles, as played by William Powell and Myrna Loy. These glamorous Manhattanites trade quips while sipping martinis and solving murders with the aid of their famous wirehaired terrier, Asta.

The movies are shown in chronological order, ranging from the original The Thin Man (1934) to the final entry in the series, Song of the Thin Man (1947). In between are After the Thin Man (1936), in which the Charleses encounter rising star James Stewart; Another Thin Man (1939), which adds a baby to the mix; Shadow of the Thin Man (1941), the last of the series to be directed by W.S. Van Dyke; and The Thin Man Goes Home (1945), with Nick visiting his family in New England and, of course, becoming embroiled in a murder case."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SueSueApplegate said:

YVT0LOD.jpg

Tonight is TCM's New Year's Eve Marathon of the Thin Man series starring William Powell and Myrna Loy!

"For this year's most sophisticated holiday evening, TCM has gathered all six entries from a movie series that defined urbane elegance: the Thin Man films. So ring in the New Year in style with one of the great screen couples-- Nick and Nora Charles, as played by William Powell and Myrna Loy. These glamorous Manhattanites trade quips while sipping martinis and solving murders with the aid of their famous wirehaired terrier, Asta.

The movies are shown in chronological order, ranging from the original The Thin Man (1934) to the final entry in the series, Song of the Thin Man (1947). In between are After the Thin Man (1936), in which the Charleses encounter rising star James Stewart; Another Thin Man (1939), which adds a baby to the mix; Shadow of the Thin Man (1941), the last of the series to be directed by W.S. Van Dyke; and The Thin Man Goes Home (1945), with Nick visiting his family in New England and, of course, becoming embroiled in a murder case."

Happy New Year.    I know you will help keep me informed in 2018 like you did in 2017!    

Thanks, James! Your kind comments are much appreciated!!

I enjoy your posts, too!! :)

Happy New Year!!