Sign in to follow this  
darrylfxanax

Parting Thoughts

22 posts in this topic

SueSue, Countess de Lave, Cheryl, Cinemaven, lzcutter, Kirk, and Kingrat (so enjoyed our chat before Bonjour Tristesse!)

If the Festival was a cake, you folks were the icing on top, making it an even sweeter treat! It was such a pleasure seeing/meeting all of you. The best to each of you until our paths cross again.

Sam

Hello Sam...Theresa here, your NOVAK Interview line-buddy. We were in the trenches together for that three-hour wait to see Kim Novak. And wasn't it worth it. You were very nice company and I hope to see you at the festival next year.

Hmmmmm...what can TCM do to top this year? Can Doris...Vera... or Olivia be far behind?

Take good care of yourself.

Sam, have some great group pics with Ben M. posted on Facebook with you in them! Should I tag you there?

David in Seattle

You are so right! The Kim Novak interview was TOTALLY worth every minute we invested! It was a personal highlight for me, to be sure. She was willing to share so much of herself with us. I was really moved and cannot wait to see the finished product when it airs. Hopefully it will come to fruition in less time than it took Peter O'Toole's interview to be broadcast.

As for next years possibilities...I'd love to see Dorothy Malone....Ann Blyth....Carroll Baker...

Thanks for the offer, David. I have a confession to make, though. (Hangs head) I have never Facebooked. I am terrible when it comes to even the simplest internet technology. I am lucky to be here on the message boards!

Sam

Hi Sam...Carroll Baker would be nice. And I think Ann Blyth appeared at the 1st TCM film festival, but bringing *DOROTHY MALONE* out there for probably: *"WRITTEN ON THE WIND* is a *FANTASTIC IDEA!!"* I...LOVE...HER!!!

Oooops! Sorry.

Hmmm...I get real excited on these here Messy Boards. Luckily I didn't scare you on line at the festival.

No worries, CineMaven! I share your enthusiasm! You read my mind regarding Written on the Wind, too! Dorothy Malone, as Marylee Hadley, is one of the BEST bad girls ever!!! As for Ann B., if I missed her the first time around I will croak! I would love to see her introduce the obvious, Mildred Pierce, and also something like The Helen Morgan Story. It was a real showcase for her. I love those "rise and fall" tales, including Jeanne Eagels with our beloved Kim Novak.

And, come to think of it, again in the "rise and fall" vein, we have Dorothy Malone portraying Diana Barrymore in the classic Too Much, Too Soon!!!

I really enjoyed talking to someone who loves *Bonjour Tristesse* as much as I do. We did seem to have oversold it to the woman who was sitting between us--maybe she thought it would be a light comedy with David Niven and Deborah Kerr? Anyway, it was nice meeting you and great to see a favorite film on the big screen.

It's been so great to read all the experiences so many people had there. It makes one wish one had been there, too. Alas, TCM makes it far too expensive for the average person (who doesn't have money to spare for 3 days of films) to attend .... I suppose it's the only way to pay for it but one does wish it were less expensive than $500 just for the films.

Filmgoddess,

For the last two years TCM has offered a Matinee Pass that allows a passholder to attend movies and panels that are scheduled during the daytime.

Wouldbestar, a regular poster here, had such a pass last year and had a terrific time.

The Matinee Pass seemed to be very popular this year.

lzcutter wrote: Wouldbestar, a regular poster here, had such a pass last year and had a terrific time.

I got the Matinee Pass because by the time I found I had the funds to come that was all they had left. Had I been able to I would have gotten the Club Pass as I missed getting to see the partying inside and by then the movies were off limits as well. Oh well, I did see the William/Kate wedding as it happened-rather than the one millionth replay-from my comfy hotel room.

That being said, I got my money's worth. The biggest problem was getting from Grauman's to The Egyptian or vice versa on my old two feet to see desired movies. With a couple exceptions the second choices I had to "settle" for turned out to be pleasant surprises and one got me the chance to discuss something I'd learned from the Boards with one star's daughter and be asked by her to share with the other viewers. You bet I felt important.

I went on Priceline and got airfare and my hotel room cheap and from experience could do it even cheaper now. I'm starting a TCM version of the old Christmas Club and maybe next year---where there's life, there's hope.

Whatever you get you'll never regret or forget it.

Did anyone take notes on:

the Kim Novak interview

Marsha Hunt's appearance at *Cry Danger*

Peggy Cummins' appearance at *Gun Crazy*

any of the fashion presentations by Deborah Nadoolman Landis

or any other interview or panel discussion at the festival? If so, would you please share your notes and impressions with us?

From Anita Page's daughter's interview at *Our Dancing Daughters*: Anita and Joan Crawford got along well, but Anita was only 17 at the time, and her mother thought Joan was too old and too sophisticated to be a good friend for her daughter. Absolutely the most mind-boggling bit of information I heard at the festival: Anita Page received fan mail from Benito Mussolini.

From fashion designer Barbara Tfank's interview by Cari Beauchamp before *Bonjour Tristesse*: Jean Seberg's hair and the "little black dress" she wears in the black-and-white sequences look absolutely contemporary, and her personal style has influenced contemporary stars like Michelle Williams and Carey Mulligan. Ms. Tfank pointed out how in the color sections of the film Jean Seberg and David Niven are dressed casually, but Deborah Kerr at first is dressed more formally. In the course of the film Deborah begins to dress as casually as they do, which shows her trying to fit in.

Absolutely the most mind-boggling bit of information I heard at the festival: Anita Page received fan mail from Benito Mussolini. kingrat

kingrat, perhaps this is from Mussolini?

anita receives fan mail

Cinemaven,

I'm so looking forward to this! I'll be sitting right next to Suex2 in the front row!

I want to say something About TCM that For the last two years TCM has offered a Matinee Pass that allows a passholder to attend movies and panels that are scheduled during the daytime. I really like the films.

Foot Problems | Orthotics Feet Treatment UK

Edited by: mathewjohn on Jan 4, 2014 2:16 AM