Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

Dead Reckoning(1947)

12 posts in this topic

Philadelphia Shortly after WW2.Hiding from the police, mysterious MR Murdock(Humphrey Bogart)comes to a Catholic church where he meets Father Logan(James Bell)an ex WW2 chaplin.Murdock wants the priest to hear his story.A few days before Captain Rip Murdock and SGT Johnny Drake(William Prince)have special orders to report to Washington DC.They find that Johnny is to get the Congessional Medal Of Honor.Johnny wants no part of it and vanishes.A few days later Johnny is murdered.Rip decides to look into it.He finds that Johnny was once involved in a murder involving wealthy Dusty Chandler(Lizabeth Scott)who Johnny was once engaged to.A bartender,Louie(George Chandler)testified against Johnny and is now working for local mobster,Martinelli(Moris Carnovsky),Rip goes out to the club where he finds Louie has a letter written by Johnny to Rip.

Rip meets Dusty and they fall in love.Martinelli orders Dusty to play roulette where she loses a large sum of money.Rip helps her get even much to Martinellis anger.Martinelli fixes Rip and Dustys drinks and when Rip wakes up he finds the body of Louie with him.

This my favorite Bogart Film.Nobody was better at Noir than Bogie.

• Like 1

ERROL23 wrote: This my favorite Bogart film. Nobody was better at Noir than Bogie.

This is my favorite Lizabeth Scott film. It keeps you guessing as to whose side she will be on at the end. Bogie is also great, he is the biggest name in the cast but his character blends in with the rest rather than shout out "star" with the rest in the background. I'd love to see it again.

This is a very, very good Bogie movie and one that isn't as well known as it should be.

I saw this on the big screen during a Bogie film presentation many, many years ago. Of course I also saw Casablanca, etc... but this one was special. The funny thing was when Bogie makes that crack to Liz Scott while they are driving about putting a gal in his pocket the women hooted while the men said 'yea'. This is what is great about seeing a classic movie in a theater full of classic movie fans. (of course the men that said 'yea' where only joking!).

While my favorite Bogie movie is The Big Sleep and my favorite Liz Scott movie The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers, Dead Reckoning is a first class production.

jamesjazzguitar wrote: While my favorite Bogie movie is The Big Sleep and my favorite Liz Scott movie The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers, Dead Reckoning is a first class production.

;) Okay, jjg, you've got me reconsidering my choice. The contrast between the "respectable" Martha and the "tramp" Toni-in truth it's the other way around-calls for an actress who is tough and vulnerable. Our girl Lizabeth is definately both and holds her own and more with Barbara Stanwyck. You keep worrying that Toni won't get what she deserves-a life with a man she can love and who can give it back. Let's not spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it and tell the ending. To those folks I saw see it any way you can even ifs its on your computer. You won't be sorry.

That wonderful final shot can be praised without giving away the ending: the parachute opening. A great, imaginative touch by director John Cromwell.

And Lizabeth Scott: what a face! What a voice!

Philadelphia Shortly after WW2.Hiding from the police, mysterious MR Murdock(Humphrey Bogart)comes to a Catholic church where he meets Father Logan(James Bell)an ex WW2 chaplin.Murdock wants the priest to hear his story.A few days before Captain Rip Murdock and SGT Johnny Drake(William Prince)have special orders to report to Washington DC.They find that Johnny is to get the Congessional Medal Of Honor.Johnny wants no part of it and vanishes.A few days later Johnny is murdered.Rip decides to look into it.He finds that Johnny was once involved in a murder involving wealthy Dusty Chandler(Lizabeth Scott)who Johnny was once engaged to.A bartender,Louie(George Chandler)testified against Johnny and is now working for local mobster,Martinelli(Moris Carnovsky),Rip goes out to the club where he finds Louie has a letter written by Johnny to Rip.

Rip meets Dusty and they fall in love.Martinelli orders Dusty to play roulette where she loses a large sum of money.Rip helps her get even much to Martinellis anger.Martinelli fixes Rip and Dustys drinks and when Rip wakes up he finds the body of Louie with him.

This my favorite Bogart Film.Nobody was better at Noir than Bogie.

This is an excellent, but underrated Film Noir.  Lizabeth Scott is terrific as the lethal femme fatale. I find Dead Reckoning to be more coherent and atmospheric than The Big Sleep. 

This is a much better movie than might appear at first.  It has a good story, good acting and good directing.  It moves in an interesting manner and doesn't just remain in one dark area as many movies of the period do.

And you'll recognize Krause from the TV series, The Millionaire.

I wonder how Bogie felt about his female lead, Liz Scott?. Clearly she was being groomed as a "rival" to Bogie's own wife Lauren Bacall.  Liz was wonderful here as has been pointed out.  Her role in TOO LATE FOR TEARS ranks as one of the very  best "bad girls" of noir.  

If you like all the classic '40's film noir elements than you'll love this one - and you've got Bogie and Scott. They could just sit and read the phone book and make a classic movie! Great story and full of the classic Bogie snappy dialog. Noir at it's most definitive. 

22 hours ago, decojoe67 said:

If you like all the classic '40's film noir elements than you'll love this one - and you've got Bogie and Scott. They could just sit and read the phone book and make a classic movie! Great story and full of the classic Bogie snappy dialog. Noir at it's most definitive. 

This is a gritty Bogie noir film.  Yea, there is still the romantic angle but there is enough violence and darkness to keep the film interesting.    I saw this film on the big screen in L.A. and that was a great experience.

When Bogie and Scott are driving in the car and Bogie makes that crack about stinking women to put them in his pocket etc... the women in the audience booed while us men all said 'yea!'.   

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is a gritty Bogie noir film.  Yea, there is still the romantic angle but there is enough violence and darkness to keep the film interesting.    I saw this film on the big screen in L.A. and that was a great experience.

When Bogie and Scott are driving in the car and Bogie makes that crack about stinking women to put them in his pocket etc... the women in the audience booed while us men all said 'yea!'.   

choose files...Click to choose files.url

Yes, that was a great Bogie line! I like too when the cops come to his room snooping and Bogie says "if you're looking for Easter bunnies your a day early..." 

As a side note I believe the fictional southern city was hinting towards Tampa Florida.  I lived there once an it's near Tarpon Springs which is the road they mention. It definitely is a "Gulf City" as they called it.