Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

The Big Noise(1944)

3 posts in this topic

Alva P Hartley(Arthur Space)is a rich,but eccentric inventor who builds a powerful bomb called The Big Noise to help the Allies win the war.

Alva hires two detectives,Stan(Stan Laurel)and Ollie(Oliver Hardy)to guard it till he can get it to Washington.A gang(Philip Van Zandt,Vera Ann Borg,etc)are out to get the bomb and sell it to the Axis.

Its up to Stan and Ollie to save the day.

This film gets a bad rap.Some people think its not very good,but this was the first Laurel and Hardy film I ever saw and enjoyed it very much.

Very funny scene when Alva serves a meal of the future,a Turkey dinner made out of vitamins.Another good scene when Alvas homicidal aunt(Easter Howard)falls for Ollie and he for her,but Grandpa(Robert Dudley)warns Stan all her past husbands were murdered.Bobby Blake is on hand as Alvas mischief making son.

This one is often considered their worst film or at least close to it. It has been a long time since I've seen it but it wasn't very good, I thought. I remember being a bit hard to watch just because how the boys were aging. However, it had nothing on how they looked in "Atoll K."

This was the first Laurel and Hardy film I ever saw years ago so I was thrilled with it.Some feel its just a rehash of old gags from other movies.(Sample,When Ester Howard looks for Ollie sleepwalking with a knife in her hands.Originally used in Oliver The Eighth)