Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

Tin Pan Alley(1940)

3 posts in this topic

1917,Two song pluggers,Skeets Harrigan(John Payne)and Harry Calhoun(Jack Oakie)are looking for a song to help put them on top.Skeets and Harry meet The Blaine sisters,Lily(Betty Grable)and Katie(Alice Faye)two talented dancers and singers.Skeets,Katie,and Harry meet Joe Codd(Elisha Cook JR)a songwriter with a song,You Say The Sweetest Things,and they buy it from him and it takes off.Katie and Skeets fall in love,but she dislikes his ruthless ways of getting to the top.

They buy another song,America,I love You and Skeets promises it to Katie,but Nora Bayes(Ester Ralston)also wants it and Skeets sells it to her.When Katie learns she leaves Skeets and Harry and joins her sister in England working in a show.Katie meets Captain Carstair(John Loder)and they soon become engaged.

1917,WW1 breaks out and Skeets and Harry join the army and are shipped to England.When they find the Blaine Sisters are there,Harry wants to bring Skeets and Katie back together,but hes ashamed of the way hes treated her.

This is a GREAT Fox Musical.DONT MISS.

On Monday, May 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM, ERROL23 said:

1917,Two song pluggers,Skeets Harrigan(John Payne)and Harry Calhoun(Jack Oakie)are looking for a song to help put them on top.Skeets and Harry meet The Blaine sisters,Lily(Betty Grable)and Katie(Alice Faye)two talented dancers and singers.Skeets,Katie,and Harry meet Joe Codd(Elisha Cook JR)a songwriter with a song,You Say The Sweetest Things,and they buy it from him and it takes off.Katie and Skeets fall in love,but she dislikes his ruthless ways of getting to the top.

They buy another song,America,I love You and Skeets promises it to Katie,but Nora Bayes(Ester Ralston)also wants it and Skeets sells it to her.When Katie learns she leaves Skeets and Harry and joins her sister in England working in a show.Katie meets Captain Carstair(John Loder)and they soon become engaged.

1917,WW1 breaks out and Skeets and Harry join the army and are shipped to England.When they find the Blaine Sisters are there,Harry wants to bring Skeets and Katie back together,but hes ashamed of the way hes treated her.

This is a GREAT Fox Musical.DONT MISS.

That sounds very good, I've put it on my list of what I haven't seen yet but want to.

On another note, do you know the song "Baby's birthday party" by Ann Ronell? I love it, I've listened to it on youtube multiple times, and I'm learning how to play it on piano. I'm mentioning it because this post is about Tin pan alley and Ann Ronell was a tin pan alley girl, but I'm curious if her hit "Baby's birthday party" was in any films or not, and I'm wondering who Baby was, since the song is about her birthday party.

Speaking of "Tin Pan Alley", no one should miss the production of "America, I Love You".  One has to see it to believe it.  I like the song; it's a real  tribute to   America.  The whole production may be overblown, but it's great fun.