Sign in to follow this  
loveoldmovies04

why I love old movies oh so darn much

28 posts in this topic

I have not posted on these boards in quite a while but tonight i sat back and read most of the treads. I dont have much to say on any of them but they were still very intertaining to read and i sat here and thought about maybe posting on a thread or two but i just kept thinkin the same thing and that is just howwww darn much I love old movies. I cannot even begin to think what my life would be like without old movies, I love them so much that every now and then when im watching an old movie i will suddenly have to stop and catch my breath because i realize that i was so into the movie that i had forgotten to breath for the moment. I love old movies so much and i watch them so much that i forget that they are "old" movies because they are the only movies i watch. I love old movies so much that i wish i could and i try to base my life on them and i know it all sounds silly but some times i just have to let some one know or i will bust and who better to tell than die hard fans like my self any how if you ever just wanna tell the world that you love old movies or why>here ya go

_phoebe

I love old movies so much I wish I could just shout it from the rooftops and make every one else fall in love as I have. I fall into girlish fits of glee whenever I think of the marvelous, marvelous, marvelous black and white gems that I treasure so dearly. I want to sing, I want to dance in this "la belle, la perfectly swell" romance.

So glad to know there is another someone out there like me -- someone who shuns the sordid screenplays of today to dwell ever long in the glorious world of classic films. My day is not complete until I have seen a movie, perhaps even just a few frames, from the Golden Age of Hollywood. This was when movies were movies. Long live TCM!

phoebe, darn good sentiment!! Darn good.

I too get mesmerized by a realllly good old movie, and even a middlingly good old movie.

The Asphalt Jungle has left me breathless. As I said here, I'm watching it in snippets, to make it last longer. I wish it went on forever. I also wish there were still directors and writers around who could make a movie like The Asphalt Jungle into a television series. Imagine that? An hour a week of a show with the quality of that movie. Or ANY of the movies from My Golden Era.

At times I feel like Scarlett O'Hara. Thanks to AMC being a bunch of pot weasels and Cablevision finally coming to their senses and carrying TCM, as God is my witness I'll never be without with my black and whites again. Presumably, if my tapes can last long enough or I can get them on DVDs, I'll have enough movies to last me the rest of my life.

And how sorry I feel for all of those people who don't share our passion. Don't you?

filmfashions,

There are a multitude of people out there who share your feelings. I wish we had a theater here that would show the older films.Sad to say,but I'm simply not in step with most of todays films.TCM is the ONLY place I can see movies that I grew up with.As I approach my 71st. birthday I cheerish these old films even more.They are a key that opens the door to a world that I loved as a child.May you never loose the passion you feel for these classics!

Ken.

Happy early B-day ken.

In any case, I have all but given up participating on some other movie message boards I had in the past because I find such bold statements being made about how older movies are overrated and such. The ignorance is appalling and I got pretty offended at the comments made about the lovely Teresa Wright from more "modern" critics who think gimmick films like "Memento" are great.

OTOH, I am so thankful for all that participate here. I learn so much from reading what many of you contribute regularly here (in the almost 2 years since I found these boards). I hesitate to name names, for fear of leaving anyone out, but you know who you are;-)

Hah! path, I hated Memento, completely and utterly hated it. It wasn't clever with its reverse story, it wasn't good, it was crap and I hated it. But NOT as much as I hated other 'wonderful' films, Vanilla Sky or The Matrix or Eyes Wide Shut. But never mind.

You're right. TCM is alone in the wilderness, the ONLY station of 57 that I have that isn't showing crap. It is wonderful, even when it DOES show whatever they thought they were doing by showing Winning. No matter.

On March 16th...okay, I confess, I wasn't going to, that day is my birthday...they are showing THIRTEEN hours of tape worthy films. Thank you, TCM.:)

Ken, are you a March baby?

Everyone here is wonderful, but path and Fernando are stellar, imho.:)

well happy birthday stoney and ken! I am oh so very happy all of you feel the way i do about old movies (though ive known most people on these boards do feel that way) But i do like my screen name says LOVE OLD MOVIES! I found my self spending the whole day yesterday watching old movies as i do often.

p.s stoney i do feel terribly bad for those who do not share or know of these wonderful movies.

There's so many reasons to love old movies... but one in particular stands out for me -- Old movies, particularly 40s movies, give me a comfort I can't quite explain. In a world that sometime appears to be going mad, it's wonderful to be able to pop in an old movie and feel safe for a little while.

I'm 28 and I love (even prefer) older films. Older films tend to have more class and, on the other hand, are refreshingly un-PC at times.

I also have Fox Movie Channel, which is actually pretty good. Not all of their stuff is shown in the proper ratio, but they do offer some of the more obscure titles from the Fox vault. Unfortunately, they have a penchant for replaying the same movies. How many times do we really need to see "Take a Hard Ride" or "9 to 5?"

Gosh darn i love old movies b/w, pre-codes, after the code,all of it ! mainly because the story telling is about down to earth plain everyday living.The good guy gets the bad guy. The values of the true american family

during war times in "The Best Years Of Our Lives" &

The Human Comedy, Since you went away. The heartbreak of

a woman who sacrifices the presence of her daughter so she could have the advantages her father could give her

in the movie "Stella Dallas"...The movies of yesteryear

are triumphs of the human spirit and should be restored and cherished for ever.The movies today unfortunately

are mainly for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all to sad!!!!!

lolite.

Oh i love old movies for so many reasons but I suppose the main reason is that i am a romantic. Old movies have the best love stories the kind of i cant live with out you love. Old movies were also so charming.. the outfits the way they talk the way they move and sing and dance.

well you know they are just the BEST thing in the entire world..

phoebe

I think I love old movies because you can actually use your imagination. In todays modern age, nothing is left for exploration.

The movies of today, depict "everything" and leave nothing to the imagination.

More recently however, I found the movie, FINDING NEVERLAND was enjoyed for all those reasons I mention above.

I grew up in the '50's by a single mom. She worked as an usherette at the local movie theater. She couldn't afford a sitter most times, and we were forced to sit in the movie house during her shift. I decided at a young age to utilize this opportunity and study the movies, stars, everything! I had hopes as a youngster to do something career-wise with this knowledge, but of course I didn't.

I wouldn't have changed this part of my childhood, for anything.

I love old movies because they have the best stories. They have the most beautiful and handsome stars. They have the best clothes. They don't show a bunch of nudity and cuss words ( which even as an adult, in new movies, I fast forward through- yuck why do they always find that necessary nowadays? If I want to see nudity, I'll go in the little red curtained back stall of my video store!!)I think they just are pretty safe and entertaining, I like it when love and sexuality is hinted at and creatively intimated about in old movies- not out on a silver platter like a new movie. It creates much more interest. So what if I get poked fun at because I never see new movies ( my sister forced me to watch Cold Mountain- barf- for that I forced her to watch Love Affair, which she loved by the way!)Old movies rule!

the biggest reason is because now movies are soooo over done!!! The movie is being re-made (for the -iftenith time) and they seem to grasping at anything to make it in to a movie. (Books mostly...) They don't have any fresh ideas!!! Also the actors/actresses actually had style back then. They worked hard too to become their character. Now there are so many movies with no plot just special effects. Then they relied on human emotion. Also many movies were musicals they hardly make any now (Moulin Rouge and Chicago in last 5 years). They had to work hard to sing, dance, and act as good as the ones who orginated the Broadway play. And finally it's because everything is rated PG-13 or up today. Cartoons are rated PG!!! I really get mad at people who don't give "old" movies a chance. I wish I could make all of them watch North by Northwest, or Adam's Rib, or whatever and I know they'd change their minds!

I am so embedded into classic movies that i cannot stand anything from the 70's to the present. I can watch some 70s movies and a tiny few 80's-present movies but EVERYTHING up to the 60s i love. I find i can turn on TCM and whatever movie's on, i get drawn into it. I'm not into the culture of today, if i could i'd love to live in the 50s or 40s, wearing the same clothes as them, going to the theaters, eating the food, reading the books i wish! My escapism is TCM. Thank God for this channel, the only channel in existence to me that i can watch 24/7.

If i had to choose 1 sole channel to have on my TV, easily, most easily it would be TCM. I say that with utter confidence. Thank the heavens for TCM.

Hello:

If I could add. I wasn't the greatest student in school as a young child. Were it not for the old "period" movies(early Bette Davis,Kathryn Hepburn, etc.), as much as I hate to admit it, I would have very little knowledge of our history.

I too believe that if I were on a deserted island with only one choice for TV channel, TCM would also be my choice.

Long live the elegant theaters that still show these classics on the big screen.Should you have an opportunity to visit one of these movie houses, please don't miss the chance!

livetoloveclassics

Great topic!

Well...where to begin. Classic movies just have this aura and appeal and magic about them that films just don't have today. Now, that's not to say that I don't like some contemporary films b/c I do, but the classic era is definitely the best for me. As some have already stated, whenever I watch these films, I just feel happy and they often act as an escape from everyday life. I just pop one of these movies in, and I'm transported back in a time that I wish I could have been a part of (since I'm 21). And when you think of the stars that were prevalent in this era, as someone once said, giants really did walk the earth.

Also, since these movies were highly censored, they had to come up with clever and creative ways to suggest certain things and I find that much more interesting than coming right out and saying or showing it. Case in point: Black Narcissus (POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD!!)....

Throughout this film Deborah Kerr's and David Farrar's are obviously attracted to each other but the only time they touch is when they part from one another and Farrar takes Kerr's hand. Now, this seemingly small act of tenderness may seem insignificant but I think it illustrates their passion for one another far better than some type of make out session would have been able to convey.

Anyway, old movies are very special pieces of history and I'm so glad that so many are appreciative of their signifance.

You get pulled into this fantastical world away from the day's news,noise,and stress and basically take a mental vacation. I,too am a walking anachronism and sometimes wish I lived in the days of yore. The style,music, and especially the women were rife with class and substance.

What a great topic!

Old classic films are like little time capsules, and they really take you back to a kinder, gentler time, even the gritty film noirs or rough and tumble Westerns.

I love the soft purple glow given off by the black and white screen in a dark room.

Sometimes when I feel very anxious or depressed and going in a lot of directions at once, a good movie will put me right. It actually has an effect on my brain, it is like I can feel all the fragmented thoughts riffling down into place. North by Northwest, Citizen Kane and The Godfather all have had this effect on me, like a tonic.

Well good for you! It's good to know that young people of your generation can appreciate the classics.

It does my heart good to know that even after "us old folks are gone", you and hopefully a lot more of you, will carry the torch.

Thank you.

livetoloveclassic.