Sign in to follow this  
Randy_D

Priscilla Lane Birthday Marathon

35 posts in this topic

Tuesday, June 12, TCM will be airing a marathon of 8 Priscilla Lane movies in honor of her birthday. Some of her better known movies, such as Saboteur, Arsenic and Old Lace and The Roaring Twenties, are not included, so here is a chance to see some of her lesser known movies.

Here is a link to the schedule.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2012-06-12

This message was brought to you by the Priscilla Lane Fan Club. :)

I watched Priscilla Lane on MeTV (I Believe) yesterday in 'Arsenic and Old Lace,

along with Cary Grant, Raymond Massey and my all time favorite actor, 'PETER LORRE' !

Always LOVED this Movie laugh.gif

Peter Lorre and (somewhat resisting) Priscilla Lane 'clowing' around ....

file692.jpg

I think that Arsenic and Old Lace has one of Cary Grant's broadest played comedy performances. For that reason I also rank it as one of my favourite Grant efforts. He does sustained double and even triple takes in the film, which I've always regarded as reflecting the actor's confidence (or courage) in doing so. Some may regard his performance as mugging. I just think it's one of his wilder (but still effective) efforts.

My favourite Grant performances tend to be the more physical ones done in the earlier stages of his career once he had become a major star. Thus, I really enjoy watching him in The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, Gunga Din and . . . Arsenic and Old Lace. It seems to me that after Arsenic (with the exception of Hawks' Monkey Business) Grant seemed to settle down and play his parts like the smoothy that he's remembered for being today. To me, however, he was at his funniest when he was younger and more physical in his characterizations.

I dont like it either or the film.......even as a kid, when I first saw it, I thought it was overdone........

Sorry, I could n't help myself. I think some people will know why I will be watching a few of the films tomorrow celebrating Miss.Lane's birthday. She was a fine and lovely to actress for sure.

However, I be watching Four Daughters especially to see John Garfield "knock it out of the park" in his first film performance in the above film. He performance is so ground breaking in that film and his Mickey Borden character is so heartbreaking as well. He just doesn't belong to this nice, clean WASP type family or with their WASP type boyfriends and husbands.

Thanks

Lori3.

Happy Birthday Pricilla Lane.

Wow, an entire evening of Noir! Thank you, Randy. I *loved* Arsenic and Old Lace, it was great fun, but I can't wait to see her other movies.

I couldn't help but think, as I watched it last week, how much better SABOTEUR would be without Priscilla Lane and Robert Cummings. Hitchcock's original choices, Joel McCrea and Barbara Stanwyck, would have been far better and the film would now be a classic instead of "lesser" Hitchcock.

Just recently I've watched several Joel McCrea and Barbara Stanwyck films and I have to disagree with you. Nothing against those two but to imply that they are so superior is highly debatable.

I have to agree with you Randy_D. I thought that Priscilla Lane and Robert Cummings did a great job in this film.

Sometimes I think that some of our old classic stars and even our newer today stars can actually get over exposed too much of a good thing, if you know what I mean. It is nice to see what other (maybe less iconic) stars can do with a good script, director and great supporting case.

This is just my opinion of course, and both Joel and Barbara were very talented actors who both made numerous great movies.

Lori3

Absolutely. It's perfect, just as is.

Lane and Cummings came across as ordinary human beings in the film, something Stanwyck, as good as she is, could not do.

Just have to agree to disagree and I think the vast critical opinion of this film is on my side. Lane basically disappears and doesn't register at all. Cummings is so light -- and so darned jumpy and over eager -- that after a few minutes he makes you want to punch him in the nose. Hitchcock himself was VERY disappointed that he was "stuck with those two."

McCrea and Stanwyck were, of course, far superior actors (and I can't imagine anyone would argue against that one) and would have brought more gravitas and seriousness to the film which is needed.

It's a shame, really, because the film contains some of Hitchcock's great set pieces but the leads spoil the film.

It really isn't. You won't find a single film historian or critic who would make the argument that Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane even occupied the same rarified space as Stanwyck or McCrea. Seriously.

I agree with your second point completely. I'm just saying that in the case of SABOTEUR the answer is: not much. They're not ordinary, they're dull. The film needed something more that they couldn't provide.

Who am I to disagree with all of those film critics and historians? They're never wrong so I guess I must be wrong.

Besides, this thread was to acknowledge TCM's birthday tribute to Priscilla Lane, not trash her because she "ruined" poor Alfred Hitchcock's film. Do you go to other tribute threads and trash those actors too?

That would be like me going to a Hitchcock tribute thread and pointing out how movies like Psycho and The Birds are overrated. Or am I allowed to say such things because they might conflict with what the "experts" say?

Hi Randy D. Hi agree with you and support your thread in celebrating the birthday of Miss Lane.

There ar always some people who will attack or compare our favorites with other more iconic stars.

The reason we (the fans) like and admire certain actors is highly subjective.

I think that TCM must have admired and seen the talent in Priscilla Lane or why would they show a whole day's worth of her films.

So, again Happy Birthday Priscilla Lane.

Who am I to disagree with all of those film critics and historians? They're never wrong so I guess I must be wrong.

*HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Thanks for the laugh.

You are correct, Lane and Cummings were very good, imo perfect, in Saboteur. Just because someone else disagrees does not make you (or me) wrong. Stick to your guns, Randy, I always do. If you don't, you get mowed down here.

Cummings is so light -- and so darned jumpy and over eager -- that after a few minutes he makes you want to punch him in the nose. Hitchcock himself was VERY disappointed that he was "stuck with those two."

As much as I like Hitchcock, the man had the bad habit of trying to shift the blame for what were perceived as mistakes.

I've read his knocking of Cummings in SABOTEUR, citing that the actor was forced upon him by Universal and that he was all wrong for the film because it was a dramatic part and that "Cummings had a comedy face."

So why in hell did Hitchcock use him again, a decade later in DIAL M FOR MURDER, made at Warners and Cummings was not a contract player there? He can't say that Cummings grew out of his "comedy face" as the actor was known for his youthful appearance even into the 60s.

Hitchcock liked to blame the initial failure of VERTIGO on James Stewart, claiming that he was too old looking for the part. Did Stewart suddenly age 20 years after he signed the contract?

I thought that Priscilla Lane was more than just tolerable in a role that wasn't particularly strong on character. There were stronger femmes in other hitchcock films.

Cummings was acceptable and while I'd have even preferred Robert Young, I can't knock Cummings as he has his moments. He puts over the scene at the pool quite nicely and I sympathized with his character in the scene at the shack where he's pleading for safe keeping.

Exactly! Hitch often criticized actors, writers, other producers in part to remind everyone what a genius HE was.

Saboteur was fine with exactly the cast it had.

After all, the "iconic stars" couldn't appear in EVERY film (although last night I did find myself thinking what a better film THE WIZARD OF OZ could have been had Stanwyck played the good witch instead of that lesser, Billie Burke).

Priscilla Lane is a very adorable and lovable actress, with a beautiful smile. She and Robert Cummings are great together in Saboteur. This film is not much about sabotage. That's just a McGuffin. The film is actually about two young Americans being chased by bad guys all over the country, and they can't go to the police for several reasons, so they have to go on the run.

1y9kgm4ls2qf4ms9.jpg

You know Priscilla Lane had to be considered a good actress since WBs paired her with some of their "big gun" male stars e.g. Cagney, Bogart, Garfield and Powell.

Here she is with my favorite John Garfield in Dust be My Destiny 1939. She always seemed to "hold her own" very well when she appeared with "strong" male actors.

PHOTO_13621454_66470_8914317_ap.jpg

Edited by: Lori3 on Jun 12, 2012 8:05 PM

Edited by: Lori3 on Jun 12, 2012 8:34 PM