Sign in to follow this  
bwande

Size of Newspaper

11 posts in this topic

Is it just my imagination or do the Newspapers in the 1930's and 1940's just look large or was the actual size reduced to the size of today's Newspaper.

Newspapers have been shrinking for years to save paper costs, with the process accelerating in recent years. It's generally a reduction in width, rather than depth. I just measured a 1940 Billings (Mont.) Gazette: 17.5 inches by 23 inches. This morning's Seattle Times: 11.5 inches by 23.5 inches.

I miss getting a newspaper. Just couldn't abide paying the same price for three day a week delivery as I did for seven days a week.

And they DID pare down the size of it.

Sepiatone

Newspapers have been shrinking for years to save paper costs, with the process accelerating in recent years. It's generally a reduction in width, rather than depth. I just measured a 1940 Billings (Mont.) Gazette: 17.5 inches by 23 inches. This morning's Seattle Times: 11.5 inches by 23.5 inches.

One of the most noticeable effects of this shrinkage is on the comics pages. While a single early 20th century Sunday comics page could cover a small table, you almost need a magnifying glass (or direct sunlight) to read some of the text-heavy strips of today.

It's not just newspapers, in recent years many magazines have changed size too. Even TCM's NOW PLAYING was size adjusted at one point. It's true it saves paper, but another factor is that often one printer will actually print for several different publications. With color printing presses often costing a million dollars or more, it's just more cost effective to standardize to one size instead of having to have several different presses. If it costs them more to print it, those costs get past on to the publication which then passes those on to......well, we all know how that goes.

*One of the most noticeable effects of this shrinkage is on the comics pages.*

Bill Watterson did a funny Calvin and Hobbes strip on this very issue (no pun intended, but I hope this picture comes out large enough):

2nvuja9.jpg

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}It's not just newspapers, in recent years many magazines have changed size too. Even TCM's NOW PLAYING was size adjusted at one point. It's true it saves paper, but another factor is that often one printer will actually print for several different publications. With color printing presses often costing a million dollars or more, it's just more cost effective to standardize to one size instead of having to have several different presses. If it costs them more to print it, those costs get past on to the publication which then passes those on to......well, we all know how that goes.

Damn straight it's not just newspapers. Notice how toilet paper is getting narrower. Pretty soon public rest rooms will be providing strips of confetti.

Don't worry, before it gets that small, the dispenser will come with a coin slot. Let's see, three sheets for a quarter or the "Montezuma's Revenge Special" of 15 sheets for a buck. :)

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}Don't worry, before it gets that small, the dispenser will come with a coin slot. Let's see, three sheets for a quarter or the "Montezuma's Revenge Special" of 15 sheets for a buck. :)

Hope they're 2ply.:)

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}

> Bill Watterson did a funny Calvin and Hobbes strip on this very issue

I love that strip very much!

A person of his talent does not need very much more than talking heads to imply wild action:

07257fec250b102d94d7001438c0f03b