Sign in to follow this  
1968B2

The Circle

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about tonight's silent, and would like to share knowledge? I'm too lazy to look it up, and love E. Boardman. Why is this one important, other than L'AVENTURRA follows it?

Hope you recorded it . The film was a TCM Premiere. The first MGM Silents debut in over 2 years. It had a brand new Orchestral score by Garth Nudester. I thought some of the music was really good. Other portions just did not fit. Main title theme was memorable, but was overplayed during the course of the film. Print was very nice for the most part. Eleanor looked very pretty in several scenes.

Glad you saw it, gagman. I liked it, too. Eleanor Boardman's dinner gown, with panels of figured prints sewn into a dark background, could be a red carpet dress today.

Borzage did a good job of shifting our sympathies to the different characters, so that making a silent film of a Somerset Maugham comedy hit succeeded after all.

THE CIRCLE concerns a wife who has left her dull, respectable husband for his dashing best friend. Her daughter-in-law is about to do the same thing a generation later. It's amusing and touching to see what has become of the aging lovers.

I was very glad to have seen it also, and wasn't aware of its being a TCM premiere. I love your hommage to Boardman's panelled dress, very fashion astute, but one of the sub-highlights to any silent one catches, don't you think? So much history to silents, which is my favorite film era.

The S Maugham cache makes you feel you're not wasting your time, as if any silent would allow that.

Hope TCM knows to always continue Silent Sunday. It's a treasure, one I wish would be repeated throughout the week. Silents are so important.

Thanks for your knowledge, guys!

Unfortunately, I don't think that the composer Garth Neustadter. who I felt did nice work for THE WHITE SISTER (1923) previously on TCM, recognized the fact that THE CIRCLE was supposed to be a Domestic Comedy, not a gritty Melodrama. Where they music should have been more light-hearted to enhance the mood, it was just the opposite.

It was great to get a MGM Silent premiere after over 2 years, but there are about two to three dozen titles that I would have chosen before this one. If they wanted to go with a Boardman picture PROUD FLESH would have been my top choice since it was directed by King Vidor, and I have never seen a good print before. If they picked this for Crawford, TWELVE MILES OUT with John Gilbert would have been better since she is his leading lady along with Betty Compson. So many Marion Davis Silents to choose from that have never aired. LITTLE OLD NEW YORK, ZANDER THE GREAT, LIGHTS OF OLD BROADWAY, BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK, Etc.

Wow, I'm finally replying to your knowledge, which was good, by the way!

All those movies sound good; how about Pickford in THE NEW YORK HAT? i'd love to see more Talmadge, but Robert Osborne said two weeks ago there aren't many of her films that have made it through the years.

Actually, the Talmadge Sisters survival rate is much better than it is with allot of other Silent Stars. It's kind of a long running myth that most of their movies are lost. One film you could request is HER SISTER FROM PARIS (1925) with Constance Talmadge and Ronald Colman. It hasn't been shown on TCM yet. They did air HER NIGHT OF ROMANCE (1924) last year.

I would love to see Constance recently restored EAST IS WEST (1922) or Norma's THE WOMAN DISPUTED (1928) but theose are probably years away from debuts.

By the Kino DVD's while they are still available, because Doris Corperation was bought out by another company and they may not be in print much longer. Both were on sale at Deep Discount DVD a few weeks agao for around 15 dollars a piece.

NORMATALMADGEKINOFILMS.jpg

CONSTANCETALMADGEKINOFILMS.jpg

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> NORMATALMADGEKINOFILMS.jpg

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Did you notice the "goof" on the cover of this KINO DVD? Or if it wasn't an error, you gotta wonder why in the image for WITHIN THE LAW they used a picture of co-star Eileen Percy instead of star Norma Talmadge??

To Gagman,

Well, thanks for the knowledge, and I'll try to buy those you mentioned. And, Movie Madness, looking forward to THE CIRCLE again in October.

Love anything Talmadge; have so much info on those sisters and their, and Buster Keaton's, time in Lake Tahoe and Nevada, c.'20s.

Allot of Constance Talmadge in INTOLERANCE tonight. She gives an awesome performance. Hope someone is recording this on the off chance that this may be the new Cohen restoration paired with the Carl Davis score for the first time ever on TCM.