Sign in to follow this  
Guest obrienmundy

Am I the Only One who Believes that TCM Will Remain Classic?

64 posts in this topic

> Do you think TCM should show really bad Italian sci-fi films from the 1960s, films that no one here ever requests?

FredC,

We are a very small sampling of the overall number of fans who watch the channel. On any given day, there are less than 100 fans posting here and usually fewer than 50 posters who come back on a daily basis. Just because we hang out here does not mean we are the only fans of the channel that TCM listens to. People write to TCM via snail mail, via email, they use the channel's Facebook pages, the Twitter account and the CFU to reach out to the channel.

You know me well enough by now, that you should know that I don't have a problem with TCM showing Italian sci-fi films or even Italian dramatic films and comedy films. I also don't have a problem with TCM showing films from other countries and other genres. I may not like all those films but that's okay.

Why? Because I don't expect TCM to program 24/7 to only fit my needs and likes. I have no problem with them showing films that I may not like or even want to watch because I am not the only viewer that matters.

There is no one size fits all TCM fan who is more important than all others.

Despite all our differences in the types of films we like and watch, *we all matter to TCM and that's what matters most.*

>or even Italian dramatic films and comedy films. I also don't have a problem with TCM showing films from other countries and other genres.

You know that I wasn't talking about those kinds of films. You know that I often promote Italian drama CLASSICS. You know that I promoted the showing of BITTER RICE for YEARS before TCM finally aired it. I first saw this classic Italian neo-realism film in 1952 in a theater, I promoted it here on TCM for years, and TCM finally aired it.

I'm talking specifically about those bad Italian sci-fi films that nobody requested.

Are you saying that people write letters to TCM asking TCM to "Please show us some BAD ITALIAN SCI-FI FILMS"? You know I'm not stupid enough to believe that.

> Are you saying that people write letters to TCM asking TCM to "Please show us some BAD ITALIAN SCI-FI FILMS"?

There are posters on this very board that enjoyed those films (they have even posted thanking TCM) so despite the fact that you may not have liked them, those films do have their fans.

Should TCM ignore those fans because some here don't like those films?

I don't think so but then, as always, your mileage may vary.

Edited by: lzcutter so the duplicate posts match

> Are you saying that people write letters to TCM asking TCM to "Please show us some BAD ITALIAN SCI-FI FILMS"?

There are posters on this very board that enjoyed those films (they have even posted thanking TCM) so despite the fact that you may not have liked them, those films do have their fans.

Should TCM ignore those fans because some here don't like those films?

I don't think so but then, as always, your mileage may vary.

Edited by: lzcutter to pose a better question perhaps

*a certain range of years known as the classic era of classical music!*

Yes. It usually is considered around Mozart and Haydn. You get some early Beethoven but he is what moved into (or at least pointed to) the "Romantic" era. Mostly thought that period involves Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Schubert, etc.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}I didn't ask you. I ask lzcutter.

How's dat fer some civility.....Yes'am folks.........Civility.

>THE BRIBE---great cast, most critics do nt like it.

That's funny. Here's what Maltin wrote about it: Taylor looks uncomfortable playing federal man who almost sacrifices all for sultry singer Gardner.

Taylor's character is supposed to look uncomfortable in the film. That's called "acting". Taylor says it so many times in his narration. First, it's hot and muggy on that filthy Central American island off the coast of Honduras or Nicaragua. I've been to some of those kinds of coastal towns, and they are hot, sweaty, and their nightclubs are dirty and filled with suspicious characters, just like in this movie.

Taylor starts telling the story as a flashback and admits he might become corrupted by the dame. (Ava Gardner could corrupt a whole platoon of federal men, but maybe not Maltin.) All during the film Taylor is trying to figure out how to get the crooks but also how to save Gardner for himself, even though she owns the boat the crooks are using for their crimes and she is married to one of the crooks. His lust and desire for Gardner is so true to life, that draws the men in the audience right into the film so that we become characters in the film. Taylor draws the ladies in the audience into the film, since he is so honest but still has a desire for Gardner.

I think it's a delightful 1949 noir film, that involves a lot of audience participation, and it has a great cast: Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner, Charles Laughton, Vincent Price, and a great performance by John Hodiak. I think this is one of Robert Taylor's best films. Music by Mikl?s R?zsa.

Portions of this film were used in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

This is a "classic" film.

I agree with you Fred. I think The Bribe is a fine noir and one of Taylor's best.

Of course any black and white 40s movie with Ava is a movie I like, but the entire cast of The Bribe was good. A true classic in my view also.

I have my doubts...when I see movies like "Little Darlings", "Modern Girls" (1986-Cynthia Gibb), and "Possession" (1981) showing up on the schedule, I really wonder who would ever consider these movies "Classics". I don't have a problem with more modern movies on the schedule. I think there are modern classics-Kramer Vs Kramer, Norma Rae, Network, China Syndrome, etc., but these other movies are definitely not classics in any sense of the word. I realize that a lot of the old movies aren't four star movies, yet none of them are as bad as some of the movies put out in the 80s. I was a teen in the 80s and I didn't want to see them then and I really don't want to see them on TCM.

I really hope this trend stops...I love TCM and don't want it to go the way of AMC and Fox Movie Channel.

Preston Sturges, all night. Try to imagine any other channel on television that would do that. And maybe take a deep breath and just savor what we have, while we have it.

Quit using "TCM Underground" movies as examples; they show these at a a specific time once a week, for a specific reason, for a specific audience...and they've been doing this for many, many years now, it's not a trend.

AMC definitely wasn't showing something like Possession when it made its format change, so it says nothing about what (non) direction TCM is going in. It's an esoteric film, notable across various groups, by a director whose work could use more exposure than it has received, which no one else is offering, so I'd say this is a prime example of TCM doing what it should be doing.

> I didn't ask you. I ask lzcutter.

This is getting to be an old act now Fred. We expect more from you in the civility department.

I don't think it will happen either but then anything is possible when you consider the crazy moves some companies make these days.