Sign in to follow this  
rchop1

The Forbin Project

3 posts in this topic

this was the original of the "computer takes over the world " themed flicks. Tons of hits sci-fi movies find thier roots here not the least of which are The Terminator series and The Matrix to name a couple. I am one TCM fan that would love to see this one in a rotation of classic science fiction flicks.

Welcome to the boards. I can't recall if TCM has ever played it, but I've seen it running now and then on the various Encore premium channels so they may have a lock on the rights to it. I wish TCM could get it, Encore only runs in pan & scan.

'Colussus' wasnt the first...'The Invisible Boy' predates it.

'Invisible Boy' is sort of schizoid in wanting to either be sort of light and children oriented, or harder and adult.

The angle with the creator's son at first is played light, includes some hijenks and fun and then begins to go dark when the dad take HIS son to the computer so that the computer can BRAINWASH his son to be able to play chess. The computer uses the son to further its own goals.

If you haven't actually seen this one....give it a shot. Don't let the first 20 minutes or so turn you off from it, give it a chance and pay attention to the dialog.

I think this is another underated little B flick of the 50s.