Sign in to follow this  
guyinchesapeake

I think it would be great if TCM offered more war movies made overseas..

4 posts in this topic

I've seen several good ones, but it would be interesting if they showed more from places like Russia and Japan that were made during the actual war years and/or soon afterwards. Same for places like Germany and Italy. A very interesting one that was shown on TCM was "Ballad of a Soldier", about a young enlisted man in the Soviet army who won an extended leave for heroism on the battlefied, and what he went through to get back home. Gregory Peck's first starring role was as a Soviet partisan leader that was made in 1944 or so (just shown on TCM). But foreign films and Hollywood offerings made during the war itself that have military action involving other countries would make for a great weekend some time. One other item as far as war films involves the ongoing anniversary of the Civil War. While "Gone With the Wind" is being shown again next week, other films that have the Civil War as their plot would be welcome. And, again, any foreign films that take a look at our Civil War or portray such conflicts in their own lands would be a good watching too.

I would like to expand on this even. PLAY MORE WAR MOVIES PERIOD. Movies like Paratroop Command that has a great plot and action and it's been years since I've seen it. Also if you go to wiki and put in world war two movies or any other war movies you get a pretty good list of what hasn't even been played on TCM that I've seen yet. I keep writing to their feedback about designating a time like once a month or even late nights which I believe has got to be more of a male audience during all hours of the night and early morning but yet they play movies which actually I am surprised that they would play at that time of night. But movies like The Search and The Berlin Express and Paris Is Burning which were made on location seem to have a better appeal. Ben

'Twould be nice if TCM showed more non-U.S. films, period, especially from the decades prior to the 1960s. One problem, I assume, is finding good prints with readable English subtitles. There's also some sensitivity, I gather, about showing, say, WWII films made in Nazi Germany or in Japan -- but proper presentation, with authoritative commentary, should make any Nazi or Japanese propaganda content palatable. We certainly see enough U.S. propaganda from WWII -- why not show the enemy's propaganda to put it all in context?

I agree!

Probably the main difficulty would be in getting these films with english subtitles. I would love to see some of the war films that the Japanese made DURING ww2 (a couple of years ago I was looking at TOHOs website and they showed that they were still selling some of these on DVD...but NOT outside of Japan. They have consistently made films about the war, in the 50s and 60s (some of the color footage from some of these films, were used in 'Midway' (1976). There has been at least two movies about the battleship Yamato including one that came out just a few years ago. Sub movies, Kamikaze movies, etc etc etc. Now those from the last 20 years or so have been done with more than a tinge of nationalism and showing the Japanese to be victims......but they would still be interesting to see.

Ditto on the Soviet era war films like 'The Fall of Berlin' and the 'Liberation' series of films.