EugeniaH

Favorite film soundtracks or film songs

393 posts in this topic

Song of Bernadette Soundtrack makes me feel inspired. The entire film is outstanding, in my opinion.

I have other soundtrack favorites.

In the 1951 film "Half Angel", Loretta Young sings Castles in the Sand beautifully.

In the 1934 Barretts of Wimpole Street I like the song "Wilt Thou Have My Hand?" by Norma Shearer.

Sometimes we watch a film to hear the soundtrack. I do like to do this now and then. The marvelous film Odd Man Out has a wonderful soundtrack running through it.

Deo Vindice

I love the movie and the marvelous soundtrack. I was looking for a song I really like on the Soundtrack and discovered that it is the one under "Dances" precedig the Polka song.

Two other beautiful songs on Soundtracks.

In the little known "The Darwin Adventure. 1971" with Nicholas Clay, is a marvelous musical score running through the film. The great interplay of flutes and various other instruments running up and down the scale is quite beautiful.

In a 1952 British film called Star of My Night with a ballet being highlighted, very similar inspirational music appears in two or three places.

I don't know if these are my favorite right now, but here are the soundtracks that my sisters or I purchased (on LP) when they were contemporary.  The list should give you some idea of my age group:

Jesus Christ Superstar

Rocky Horror Picture Show (I actually like the soundtrack better than the movie)

Rocky

Grease

Saturday Night Fever

The Wall

Flash Gordon (Queen)

Purple Rain

Footloose

All still classics.

• Like 1

It's an odd time of year to be listening to it, but The Nightmare Before Christmas actually has a wonderful soundtrack. Lots of music in between the songs, and the songs are pretty clever, too! :)

Poor Jack, anyone?

• Like 1

Poor Jack, anyone?

Eh, I must be the only person on the planet who dislikes Danny Elfman's soundtrack for NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

While I really liked his score for PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, once you put lyrics to his music, it just becomes un-melodic forced talking not unlike Henry Higgins (to me at least)

I'm pretty critical of movie soundtracks, preferring compositions written especially for the movie that actually propel the story, like Hollywood's "golden age".

That said, I do really love the music used for PAPER MOON '73 all radio hits played on the radio in the movie. Unfortunately, this soundtrack hasn't been released on CD, only vinyl.

I did just buy the CD of DARJEELING LIMITED because it has several snippets of favorite classic Bollywood theme songs sprinkled throughout, with only 2 songs by the Kinks.

Eh, I must be the only person on the planet who dislikes Danny Elfman's soundtrack for NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

While I really liked his score for PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, once you put lyrics to his music, it just becomes un-melodic forced talking not unlike Henry Higgins (to me at least)

I'm pretty critical of movie soundtracks, preferring compositions written especially for the movie that actually propel the story, like Hollywood's "golden age".

That said, I do really love the music used for PAPER MOON '73 all radio hits played on the radio in the movie. Unfortunately, this soundtrack hasn't been released on CD, only vinyl.

I did just buy the CD of DARJEELING LIMITED because it has several snippets of favorite classic Bollywood theme songs sprinkled throughout, with only 2 songs by the Kinks.

You're definitely not the first person I've heard of who doesn't care for Danny Elfman's score or his other music.

I was a fan of Oingo Boingo (they were actually one of the very few bands from the 1980's whom I liked) and I always liked Elfman's singing voice. I think he's a clever lyricist and his music  takes unexpected turns when you think it is going in a particular direction.

My sister doesn't care for him, either. She covers her ears in pantomime pain!

Falling slowly from Once 2006

You're The Only One I See" by Andy Thompson & Sandy Singers from Into the Fire ( 1987 )

Love those beautiful and romantic moments featured with the song.