EugeniaH

Favorite film soundtracks or film songs

393 posts in this topic

Personally, those are the types of vintage soundtracks I enjoy...

I understand where you are coming from there. It brings to my mind something else: A few years back I bought a Laurel and Hardy DVD, and at least one of the episodes was redone with new music. It was so distracting to my ears because it was so obviously not the original music, and it was jarring to me.

That's something I'll never understand...allowing music rights for a movie itself, but NOT for a DVD/home video release and having to change the music. Really dumb legal reasons, IMHO. If a company or studio licenses out music rights to a film, those rights SHOULD remain no matter what medium the film is in (vieo, tv, etc.).

Ditto, sir. :)

Please keep posting Western songs if you like, but I wanted to interject with a particular favorite soundtrack song of mine: "Going the Distance" from *Rocky* (not the theme song; this is another one). Forgetting whatever people may think of the movie itself, Bill Conti wrote some pretty inspiring stuff here:

The Patriot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWihPKwTra0

Jake in the Heartland

Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels—men and women who dared to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Edited by: JakeHolman on Jul 4, 2012 11:15 PM

Jake, this is definitely one of my favorite soundtracks. It's like listening to a symphony orchestra. The sound is so lush and sweeping, a real masterpiece.

Terrence

Thanks for adding all this to the thread, Jake. I'm liking your choices, especially with the Dances With Wolves music. DwW is one of my favorite "modern" movies. As Terrence said, the music is very lush.

From my favorite Bond soundtrack, *MOONRAKER* , here is "Flight Into Space", my favorite piece from that score, and of the THE best pieces from any Bond film. I'm pretty sure this score was the first 007 score to use a full symphony orchestra.

This is beautiful music, OHMSS69.

I made reference to the soundtrack of The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), but I didn't post any clips from it. This track is my favorite (which is saying a lot, because the whole album is so wonderful).

"The Fire of the Dove":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHJV7nE07Jw

As I had mentioned long back, this was originally a silent film, with new music added in 1995. You can make a good case in saying that Joan of Arc is a better movie "silent", but in my opinion, I think this music really does enhance the film.