Sign in to follow this  
prc1966

A neo-noir, can't remember the title

2 posts in this topic

I recall watching a made-for-television movie in 1990 (I am pretty sure of the year). It was broadcast only one time that I am aware of. It was a Sunday night movie on one of the three networks, but I do not recall which.

The movie was sort of a tribute to film noir, it was set in New York City in the late 1940's. It took great pains to have authentic vintage vehicles, clothing and hairstyles and even went so far as to have some fo the characters listeing to classic radio programs and hanging out at no-longer-existing landmarks such as Toots Shor's bar.

I think it aired after the successful release of the Warren Beatty movie version of Dick Tracy, because although the tv movie I am talking about was serious in tone, it had a look to it similar to the Dick Tracy film.

The main character was a detective, though I do not recall whether a police detective or private. Corrupt cops and a murder to be solved were the basic plot elements. I think perhaps his name was Johnny something, and the name of the movie may have included the word "Johnny" in it.

But I can't recall the name of the movie. Anyone else remember it and can help my memory?

Found it. It was called Johnny Ryan and it aired on July 29, 1990. Not available in any video form but I remember enjoying it very much, I think any film noir fan would.