Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

'A Crime She Didn't Commit'

34 posts in this topic

WOW. I had known about Neal, but didnt know that about Kelly. Life imitating art?

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}WOW. I had known about Neal, but didnt know that about Kelly. Life imitating art?

Paul Kelly ended up marrying the widow of the man he killed. She also served time as an accomplice in the crime and ended up writing the source material for LADIES THEY TALK ABOUT which was the film that kicked off today's schedule.

images-55.jpg

I think the one I enjoyed the most today was THE HOUSE ON 56TH STREET. Kay Francis can take any story-- good or bad-- and inject her magic, and it always works.

I also liked CONDEMNED WOMEN because of Esther Dale's performance as the prison warden. For some reason, she is one of my favorite character actresses. I wish I could pinpoint what it is I so like about her. It must be her no-nonsense yet kindly approach to any character she is playing, and I feel she respects her costars in every scene.

condemned-women-06.jpg

That's one of Kay's films that doesnt pop up very often for some reason. I finally saw it a few years ago. Did anyone watch House of Women?

I watched HOUSE OF WOMEN. I felt Constance Ford was miscast as a young mother (she was 39 in real life and looked older). Jeanne Cooper was great as one of the prison matrons.

The parole board scenes were interesting, especially the moment when Candy (Barbara Nichols) turned down the board's request to let her free.

Andrew Duggan was okay as the warden, but I think they should've put someone more attractive in the role...like Efrem Zimbalist maybe.

The in-joke about Troy Donahue's picture was fun and a clever way for the studio to promote its popular matinee idol.

The climactic sequence where Ford takes a hostage was not quite as dramatic or cinematic as one would hope. In many ways, the film resembled a slick made-for-TV movie.

I do want to research the policies for women having and keeping babies in prison. Some of that was new to me, and I am sure those rules are constantly revised depending on what state the facility is located in...unless it's a federal mandate that women cannot be separated from their infants while incarcerated. This was the first film I have ever seen address that issue, and I do not know how much of it was 'Hollywood' or, if accurate, a reflection of attitudes about reform during that era. Of course, it does make sense that in the best interests of the child, it is not ripped away from the mother when it needs her most. However, my guess is that some of these new women in prison are far from the nurturing or motherly types. Not everyone was or is as innocent as Shirley Knight's Erica.

They should have cast her in the Hope Emerson role. She would've been GREAT! I wish I had been able to record it but the DVR is full right now (just no time to watch stuff in the summer. Need to MAKE time!)

Didnt realize Jeanne Cooper was in it! (LOL). So they did a gender switch with the warden.

Constance is in another prison type picture (well nuthouse) coming up. Playing Joan Crawford's flunky in The Caretakers (small part, unfortunately) Its coming up on Joan Crawford night shortly (forget what night). They are showing Joan's 60s films (NOT her best period, but fun......)

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 20, 2012 10:48 AM

Yes, they did switch the gender of the warden. There's a slight romance with Knight and Duggan, which seems fairly ludicrous.

Jeanne Cooper gets decked by one of the girls, and she fights back. Their brawl is one of the best scenes in the movie.

LOL. I hope it turns up again. I'd like to see it.........